Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed Gein

attackatdawn Guest

Ed Gein

This guy was truly a pscho, The Inspiration for Buffalo Bill and Psycho movies. Just reading about all the horrible things he did gives me the chills!

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...in/bill_1.html

Kathyf Guest
    My friend Chuck Directed The Ed gein movie as well as Henry portrait of a serial killer 2 and The Hillside Strangler.

BeanBoyGirl Guest
    It's always the kids that are taught by their mothers that women are dirty isn't it? At least he killed them quick that sick bastard. One thing good about being dead...
    Last edited by BeanBoyGirl; 10-13-2007 at 10:35 PM.

ed gein had me on a roll once. couldn't read enuff about the old nutcase. i can almost feel the weight of that hideous house he lived in. i swear the property alone must be as haunted as heck!

BeanBoyGirl Guest
    I don't know, most of the bodies he dug up from the grave yard and he killed the others else were.

JanGirl Guest
    Didn't they knock his house down?

I think he was more of a grave robber than a killer, wasnt he?

Quote Originally Posted by JanGirl View Post

yes they did, wish they hadn't tho..

JanGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    yes they did, wish they hadn't tho..
    would you have gone there?

WendyK Guest
    Ed Gein was also the inspiration for the Texas Chainsaw movies. I always thought that the movie was based on a true story because thats what it said at the beginning of part one.

Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    Ed Gein was also the inspiration for the Texas Chainsaw movies. I always thought that the movie was based on a true story because thats what it said at the beginning of part one.
    jeeez talk about unfair, this guy butchers up half a town and then gets to live out the rest of his days calm, cool and collected in a half way house. I wonder if Ed was O.J.'s hero growing up.

WendyK Guest
    You know it's funny they did a Bio on him last night on the biography channel.Thank God for Tivo I passed out right in the middle of it I will have to watch the rest of it tonight. They are doing one on the last days of Anna Nicoles life Wednesday night have to record that one too.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I think he was more of a grave robber than a killer, wasnt he?
    He murdered a young girl named Grace, then cannibalized her. The worst part is that I believe her parents let her go with him as they thought he was harmless.... I believe he also murdered a local barkeep, but he also robbed graves. Sick fuck.

Danse Macabre Guest
    Ed Gein killed two women.
    The little girl named Grace was actually a victim of Albert Fish.
    Last edited by Danse Macabre; 10-16-2007 at 02:27 PM. Reason: misspelling

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Cross View Post
    Ed Gein killed two women.
    The little girl named Garce was actually a victim of Albert Fish.
    You are absolutely right. Damn, I thought I knew my serial killers!

Belle Guest

50th Anniversary of his Arrest Nov 16, 2007

I have an Ed Gein comic book; is that normal?

Photos (not gory) http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...H&Profile=1979

Plainfield still haunted by Ed Gein 50 years after crimes

PLAINFIELD By Karen Madden Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers â?? It has been 50 years since the town learned it was home to a man who would inspire nightmares, horror movies and a pop culture following.

Ed Gein robbed graves in the Plainfield area and killed at least one woman, acquiring a macabre collection of body parts that he turned into furniture, ornaments and clothing. News of the gruesome scene shocked central Wisconsin and the entire nation after Gein, 51, was taken into custody Nov. 16, 1957.

Among those who had trouble believing the developments was Wilma Booth, 76, who lived down the road from Gein from 1952 until 1956. Booth, who had a young son and was pregnant with her second child, had moved to her father's farm after her husband left. Gein, who was robbing graves at the time, helped her with the barn chores and even baby-sat for Booth's 1-year-old son, Jim. She remembers Gein as helpful, quiet and a little bit strange.

"He always did good things for me; he never hurt me," Booth said. "He was always good to kids."

Many people in the community teased Gein, but Booth's father, Henry Pynakker, taught his family to be kind to everyone, and they often had Gein as a guest at their farm. Gein later blamed many of his problems on the way he was treated by his neighbors.

Gein's father died in 1940, and his brother and mother in 1945. The deaths took away the structure and meaning in his life, according to a psychological report ordered by a judge. He began reading about the Nazi atrocities, head shrinking and body exhumation clubs.

Night of discovery

On Nov. 16, 1957, Frank Worden returned to his family's hardware store in Plainfield about 5 p.m. after the opening day of deer hunting season. His mother, Bernice Worden, was missing, and there was a pool of blood on the floor and a trail leading to the store's back door. He called Waushara County Sheriff Art Schley and told him his mother had been murdered.

Suspicion quickly turned to Gein, according to court documents. He reportedly had an interest in Bernice Worden â?? she looked like his mother â?? and he asked her to go skating.

After knocking and not receiving an answer, an officer went into his residence and found the headless body of Bernice Worden hanging upside down in the attached shed. Its torso had been cut open similar to the way a deer would be dressed.

Ten years later, Gein's attorney argued officers overstepped their authority by searching the home without a warrant, even though a local judge was present for parts of the search. The judge chose not to throw the evidence out because there was the possibility of finding a victim who needed help and of finding a suspect â?? time was a factor, he ruled.

The horrors within

In the residence, officials discovered Gein's collection of body parts, including skulls he used to decorate his bed posts and furniture made from skin.

Authorities took Gein to jail the evening of Nov. 16, 1957, and interrogated him in the presence of three deputies, according to court documents. He didn't have an attorney, and since it was before the time of Miranda rights, he hadn't been told he had the right to one.

Joseph C. Wilimavsky Jr., a lie detector expert from Madison, interviewed Gein and produced a confession that is more than 200 pages long. In 1968, Judge Robert H. Gollmar, presiding over Gein's murder trial, threw out the confession because of Gein's mental state â?? he was diagnosed with chronic schizophrenia â?? and the manner in which it was obtained.

Gein admitted to stealing bodies from graves. He said he would wear the female parts he removed and dance around outside in the moonlight.

In February 1973, Gein petitioned the Waushara County Circuit Court for a re-examination and release, but was denied. The evaluations however give additional information about Gein.

A letter written by Dr. Thomas J. Malueg on May 16, 1974, said, "Mr. Gein has little insight concerning the possibility that society will remember him and his notoriety, and may continue to respond to him in ways that could be anxiety provoking. He feels that everyone has forgotten him and that he will be able to simply walk away from harassment should it occur. He has some unrealistic plans about going to Australia ... although he is not certain about how to arrange his travel plans."

Gein died July 26, 1984, in the Mendota Mental Health Institute in Madison. He was 77.

Belle Guest

Another Anniversary Story

Plainfield wants to forget gruesome past
    By Andrew Hellpap
    For the Wausau Daily Herald

PLAINFIELD â?? Residents of this central Wisconsin village of about 900 are happy to talk about most topics â?? except Ed Gein.

Fifty years ago, Plainfield and the nation couldnâ??t stop discussing what was found in Geinâ??s farmhouse, just outside the village in a town of the same name. Gein was taken into custody Nov. 16, 1957, after the butchered body of a local hardware store owner, Bernice Worden, was found hanging upside down in his shed. A lampshade and chair upholstered from human skin and items made from other body parts were among the discoveries authorities made at the home that day. Interactive map, timeline and slideshow

Despite the history, Stuart Clark purchased Wordenâ??s store in 1984. Itâ??s where investigators said Gein killed her.

â??People look at me and say, â??You donâ??t know,â?? and I say â??I donâ??t want to,â??â? said Clark, owner of Clarkâ??s Tru Value, 110 Main St.

Residents donâ??t appreciate that reporters and horror story buffs from throughout the country converge on their community whenever a movie dealing with Geinâ??s life debuts or an anniversary occurs.

Although most who live in Plainfield are polite about the issue, few want to discuss the gruesome discoveries from the late 1950s.

â??I guess it depends on who you talk to. Some people will tell you in no uncertain terms (where to go),â? Village President John Zouski said, with a laugh.

Those living in the community would rather chat about the revamped section of Highway 73 that runs through the village, the areaâ??s agricultural heritage, the Tri-County School District that calls Plainfield home or the popularity of local snowmobile trails.

Through the years, there were hints that some even tried to bury the Gein legacy. When his house was scheduled to be auctioned off and likely turned into a tourist attraction in 1958, the structure and everything in it burned to the ground three days before the sale. The fireâ??s origins were mysterious, wrote Robert Gollmar, the judge presiding over Geinâ??s 1968 trial, in his book â??Edward Gein.â?

Clark remembers Gollmarâ??s publication â?? his first and only formal introduction to the Gein story.

â??I had the book in my hand for about 15 seconds,â? he said, explaining that a graphic picture prompted him to set it down.

Even as the decades pass, memories remain fresh in some peopleâ??s minds, said Zouski, who has lived in the village for nearly 30 years.

Not that most want to reminisce about those days.

Cornelia Leach, who lived in nearby Hancock in 1957 and moved to Plainfield 10 years ago, was recently playing dominos with two residents at the villageâ??s police station after serving meals through a Waushara County program.

The three women had little interest in discussing Gein.

â??(We) just want to forget about it,â? Leach said.

Belle Guest

Ed Gein Quiz

QUIZ: Ed Gein fact or fiction
    See if you can tell the difference between the real Ed Gein and the Hollywood version.

1. Ed Gein is a convicted serial killer.

2. Gein retrieved dead bodies by digging up graves in Plainfield-area cemeteries.

3. Cannibalism was among Gein’s crimes.

4. Gein participated in necrophilia (sexual intercourse with a corpse).

5. Gein decorated his bedroom with various body parts he collected.

6. While his farmhouse was littered with trash, Gein kept his mother’s room in its original, pristine condition.

Answers folllow:

1. FICTION — Gein was convicted of only one murder — Bernice Worden, a hardware store owner — but he had the remains of another woman, Mary Hogan, in his house, and some, including Judge Robert H. Gollmar, who presided over the case, believe he committed at least several other crimes that were never solved.

2. FACT — Gein admitted to committing such acts at night out of sight.

3. FICTION — While there is some evidence at the scene that could lead some to believe Gein ate his victims (a heart was found in a pan on top of the stove), Gein never admitted cannibalism, nor was it proven.

4. FICTION — Gein denied ever committing such acts, and psychiatrists who worked on the case believed Gein was a virgin at the time of his arrest.

5. FACT — Authorities found various items Gein furnished using human remains, which included lamp shades and chair covers made from skin, skulls on his bed post, and belts made of nipples.

6. FACT — Similar to behavior by Norman Bates in the movie “Psycho,” Gein kept his mother’s room in the same state it was in the day she died.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...&theme=WDHGEIN
    Last edited by Belle; 11-16-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Belle Guest

Pics and more info on Gein

Multimedia on the Gein story
    Map, timeline, slideshows
    http://content.gannettonline.com/gns/edgein/edgein.html

Photo gallery
    http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...H&Profile=1979

Suzanne30 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    My friend Chuck Directed The Ed gein movie as well as Henry portrait of a serial killer 2 and The Hillside Strangler.

Steve Railsback and Carrie Snodgress did a good job playing Ed Gein and his mother respectively.

hoxharding Guest

In the Light of the Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    Kathy,
    That was an excellent film about Ed Gein. Steve was terrific in it also.
    If anyone wants to see a film about Ed, see In the Light of the Moon(aka Ed Gein)
    Do not rent 'The Butcher of Plainfield' It starts out looking like it will be what it claims to be(the real story)
    The actor who plays Ed looks NOTHING like Ed. The story goes awry and bears no resemblence to the story.
    As for Albert Fish-sick,sick puppy. Even next to Ed Gein,Albert wins. Plus, how did he get all those needles in his body and not be all infected and dying just from them?

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Kathy,
    That was an excellent film about Ed Gein. Steve was terrific in it also.
    If anyone wants to see a film about Ed, see In the Light of the Moon(aka Ed Gein)
    Do not rent 'The Butcher of Plainfield' It starts out looking like it will be what it claims to be(the real story)
    The actor who plays Ed looks NOTHING like Ed. The story goes awry and bears no resemblence to the story.
    As for Albert Fish-sick,sick puppy. Even next to Ed Gein,Albert wins. Plus, how did he get all those needles in his body and not be all infected and dying just from them?
    My friend will be happy to hear that. he is working on some cool movies. His pages on MYSPace are great http://www.myspace.com/chuckparello
    http://www.myspace.com/edgeinfilm
    http://www.myspace.com/hillsidestranglerfilm
    HE just had an interview published in Ultra Violent magazine. I know he wouls love comments on it. It is under his blog.

oranjuicejones Guest
    I was talking to a documentary filmmaker who worked on an Ed Gein flick and he said there a gang or more of locals who hang out around the old Gein property and rob tourrists and he got beaten and his clothes and laptoop stolen.

Kathyf Guest
    That sounds familiar I will have to find out about that.

Danny62 Guest

Belle Guest
    The house "mysteriously" burned down right before the big auction of his property and personal effects. The small town locals were not amused with the new tourists.

His car was sold and was a featured item in traveling sideshows as Ed Gein's death car because it was supposedly his dead body transport capsule.

His gravestone was stolen at some point. I don't remember the end of that saga.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BellePosting View Post

His car was sold and was a featured item in traveling sideshows as Ed Gein's death car because it was supposedly his dead body transport capsule.
    Yep, they were charging people a quarter to look at his car!!

Belle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Yep, they were charging people a quarter to look at his car!!
    And death hags were paying for it happily!

wraith Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    jeeez talk about unfair, this guy butchers up half a town and then gets to live out the rest of his days calm, cool and collected in a half way house. I wonder if Ed was O.J.'s hero growing up.
    Jason, Ed Gein was incarcerated at Goodland Hall, which is a part of the Mendota Mental Health Institute (a facility for the criminally insane, among others). He was not in a halfway house facility. I'm wouldn't term Gein "calm, cool, and collected", either. The man was seriously mentally ill. I have cited one source (of many) for you below:

Trial hearing

Gein was found mentally incompetent and thus unfit to stand trial at the time of his arrest, and was sent to the Central State Hospital (now the Dodge Correctional Institution) in Waupun, Wisconsin. Later, Central State Hospital was converted into a prison and Gein was transferred to Mendota State Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin. In 1968, Gein's doctors determined he was sane enough to stand trial; he was found not guilty by reason of insanity by judge Robert H. Gollmar and spent the rest of his life in the hospital. [5]

Legacy

While Gein was in detention, his house burned to the ground. Arson was suspected. In 1958, Gein's car, which he used to haul the bodies of his victims, was sold at public auction for a then-considerable sum of $760 to an enterprising carnival sideshow operator named Bunny Gibbons. Gibbons called his attraction the "Ed Gein Ghoul Car" and charged carnival-goers 25 cents admission to see it.

Death

Ed Gein's gravemarker as it appeared in 1999.

On July 26, 1984, Ed Gein died of respiratory and heart failure due to cancer in Goodland Hall at the Mendota Mental Health Institute.[6] His gravesite in the Plainfield cemetery was frequently vandalized over the years; souvenir seekers would chip off pieces of his gravestone before the bulk of it was stolen in 2000. The gravestone was recovered in June 2001 near Seattle and is presently displayed in a Wautoma, Wisconsin museum.

Because today was the fiftieth anniversary of Ed Gein getting busted, one of the Wisconsin television stations ran a news piece on his story tonight. The story mentioned that the Gein farm is still for sale, however, no serious buyer has made an offer for it. It is just farmland now; no buildings remain on the site.

Part of this news piece included an interview with the 87 year old lawyer, Dominic Frinzi, who had eventually served as defense counsel for Ed Gein. He said that Gein was very soft-spoken. He also said that Gein had placed a lot of trust in him and talked freely with him about the shocking details of his crimes. His trial was postponed for ten years because he was considered incompetent right after his crimes were discovered. When the verdict came in, Gein was judged not guilty because of insanity.

The news story also mentioned that today most of the people of Plainfield, Wisconsin do not care to talk about Ed Gein or his crimes.
    Last edited by wraith; 11-17-2007 at 04:03 AM.

wraith Guest
    The house "mysteriously" burned down right before the big auction of his property and personal effects. The small town locals were not amused with the new tourists.

His gravestone was stolen at some point. I don't remember the end of that saga.

[SIZE=3]Pick your ending:[/SIZE]

Death

Ed Gein's gravemarker as it appeared in 1999.

On July 26, 1984, Ed Gein died of respiratory and heart failure due to cancer in Goodland Hall at the Mendota Mental Health Institute.[6] His gravesite in the Plainfield cemetery was frequently vandalized over the years; souvenir seekers would chip off pieces of his gravestone before the bulk of it was stolen in 2000. The gravestone was recovered in June 2001 near Seattle and is presently displayed in a Wautoma, Wisconsin museum.

OR

Gein's tombstone was stolen from his grave site in Plainfield. It was found several years ago and placed in secure storage at the Waushara County Sheriff's Department. It remains at the Sheriff's Department but could end up in the Waushara County Historical Society's Museum - which is coincidentally in the old jail where Gein spent one night.

The upper entry is from Wikipedia and the lower entry is information from a Wisconsin news report from November 16, 2007. (WTMJ-TV news report)

Belle Guest
    This is the place that had the stone on display. Somebody drive down there and check
    Waushara County Historical Society
    PO Box 616
    212 S St Marie
    Wautoma, WI 54982 Phone: 920-787-7584

donetodeath Guest
    wasn't his brothers death ruled an accident(shooting on the family property),but after ed was arrested they thought he probably murdered him.Though le could not prove it.

Belle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by donetodeath View Post
    wasn't his brothers death ruled an accident(shooting on the family property),but after ed was arrested they thought he probably murdered him.Though le could not prove it.
    Yes, the story of how he died was fishy, as was Ed's ability to lead investigators right to the body. The brother had blunt force trauma injuries but the death was ruled as asphyxiation caused by the fire.

donetodeath Guest
    thank's for that bellposting!I thought he was shot!Ithink i need a break from reading several book's at a time,i must be jelling into one big story.

would you have gone there?
    would have loved it! wanna go? hehehehe (its a long way from new zealand tho lol)
    pull the string!

donetodeath Guest
    where did his brother die?

37. 11-18-2007, 08:42 AM

Belle Guest
    where did his brother die?
    I believe Ed and his brother Henry were fighting a fire on land they owned when Henry died. I got the impression it was not on their regular homestead but something near by.

Miss Swallow Guest

4. FICTION — Gein denied ever committing such acts, and psychiatrists who worked on the case believed Gein was a virgin at the time of his arrest.

If you have sex with a corpse you are no longer a virgin?

Belle Guest
    If you are into music, of course there is a band named after him.........
    http://www.myspace.com/edgeinband

Belle Guest
    One more little tidbit, Ed had free time on his hands because the government paid him a subsidy NOT TO FARM HIS LAND.

donetodeath Guest
    i have never heard of someone dying from asphyxiation from a fire outside!Was he standing in it?unusual.

Belle Guest

i have never heard of someone dying from asphyxiation from a fire outside!Was he standing in it?unusual.
    He was fighting a fire on his own land, but they obviously didn't have Quincy do the autopsy

Ed and Henry started a fire to clear some marsh land on their property, but the fire blazed out of control. They separated in order to contain the combustion but, afterwards, Henry failed to return to the house. Ed asked some men to help search for his brother but they were unsuccessful. However, later that day, Ed was able to lead a second search party (headed by Sheriff Engle) directly to where Henry's body lay. Ed's only explanation was, "Funny how that works." Henry's body was blackened with soot, but unburned. Although the sheriff noticed bruising around Henry's head, the coroner declared asphyxiation as the cause of death and no further investigation was pursued.

http://www.serialkillers.nl/ed-gein/...henry-gein.htm
    Last edited by Belle; 11-19-2007 at 04:40 PM.

donetodeath Guest
    thank's belleposting!good old Quincy,he would have solved it no time!
    Bruising around his head,that is interesting,funny how fires do that to you.

bulldog0728 Guest
    I believe Ed and his brother Henry were fighting a fire on land they owned when Henry died. I got the impression it was not on their regular homestead but something near by.
    i read the same thing, found on one of the sites the city map that showed henry gein had a piece of land on the north side of archer ave. im goign up to the gein locations in a few weeks im gonna call the historical societyand see if they have gein headstone displayed.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by oranjuicejones View Post
    I was talking to a documentary filmmaker who worked on an Ed Gein flick and he said there a gang or more of locals who hang out around the old Gein property and rob tourrists and he got beaten and his clothes and laptoop stolen.
    Oh, NICE...death hags beware !!!

bulldog0728 Guest
    a gang of locals, in a 900 person town. Im sure they have nothing better to do but for crissakes this isnt graceland im sure they dont have 10000 visitors daily. now if there is filming im sure they know about it and may disrupt it. its pretty pathetic these people cant face the fact that it is what it is and they cant change it cant ignore it and that there is gonna be curiosity. it could have really boosted that small town economy if they would have embraced it.

deathhagcutie Guest
    i love him he is my favorite killer! is way overlooked nowadays!

rantat Guest
    I believe that the song Dead Skin Mask by Slayer was based on him.

Chevyheaven Guest
    Wow this is amazing stuff. I never had any idea about this craziness in the world. A man using human flesh to make lamps. Isnt that something?
    My goodness. he needed to be committed. He was a nut case.

royorbisonisdead Guest
    "Hey, nice of you to come over. I'd like to show you my ladylamp."

NOTa conversation you ever want to have.

*shudders*