Thread: Ted Demme

Ted Demme

Ted Demme

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ted Demme (October 26, 1963 ?? January 13, 2002), born in New York, New York, was an American film director and producer. He grew up in Rockville Centre on Long Island, New York and attended South Side Senior High School. He was the nephew of movie producer and director Jonathan Demme. His career had modest beginnings ?? starting as a production assistant at MTV, he later created the cable network's seminal hip-hop show Yo! MTV Raps and directed other projects for them, including the infamous black-and-white rants starring then-unknown chain-smoking comedian Denis Leary. His best known films were The Ref, starring Leary and Kevin Spacey, and Blow which featured Johnny Depp as George Jung (a high-profile drug dealer during the 1970s).
    Over the course of his career, he established a group of actors that he chose to work with on more than one occasion. The most frequently used of these was Denis Leary, who he directed as a lead or star in No Cure for Cancer, The Ref, Denis Leary: Lock 'n Load, and Monument Ave.. Leary also worked as producer on the film Blow. Other actors he frequently used included:
    On January 13, 2002, while playing a game of basketball, Demme collapsed and died of a heart attack which may have been related to cocaine later found in his system during an autopsy. After his death, his wife, Amanda Scheer Demme, opened ??celebrity? bars in Hollywood, including "Teddy's" at the Roosevelt Hotel ?? not named after her late husband, but rather the former president.
    Kevin Spacey tipped a glass to his late friend at the 59th Golden Globe Awards on January 20, 2002 to a full house of film and television professionals, in tribute to Demme.

Selected filmography

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RaRaRamona Guest
    When I saw his name I wondered if he was related to Jonathan. I loved "the Ref" and "Blow".

Warmed Over Guest
    Homicide was a great series, especially the earlier seasons, and he directed a bunch of those episodes. Sucks that he died so young.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    When I saw his name I wondered if he was related to Jonathan. I loved "the Ref" and "Blow".
    Oh Blow was just about one of my favorite movies ever.

I love the part where Johnny Depp walks through the airport wearing the white outfit!

Sharmika Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post

If I'm not mistaken, they were brothers...

No, Jonathan is his uncle.
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

RaRaRamona Guest
    Yeah, it says in the first post he's his uncle.

Johnny Depp is always hot - & crazayzay.

hoxharding Guest
    I really enjoyed The Ref-great film.

Mrs F Guest
    There was a show on IFC called "Dinner for Five" that Jon Favereau hosted. One episode it was only 4 guests, they said someone could not make it. Turns out Michael Rappaport (who was in Ted's adorable movie "Beautiful Girls") was supposed to be the 5th guest but was with Ted when he fell out at the basketball court. So sad. So young. Had a very young child.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs F View Post
    There was a show on IFC called "Dinner for Five" that Jon Favereau hosted. One episode it was only 4 guests, they said someone could not make it. Turns out Michael Rappaport (who was in Ted's adorable movie "Beautiful Girls") was supposed to be the 5th guest but was with Ted when he fell out at the basketball court. So sad. So young. Had a very young child.
    That is sad. I love Favreau, but I never did watch that show.

Mrs F Guest
    It was a really interesting show, it is out on DVD now. The first few were really great, everyone was a smidge nervous and got really drunk really quickly. There was an insanely uncomfortable moment between Rod Steiger and Sarah Silverman. He was trying to pay her a compliment by saying she looked like Geraldine Chaplin (she does!). Sarah tried to make a joke and Rod just stared at her blankly for what felt like forever.