Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cocoanut Grove Nightclub Fire

lisalouver Guest

Cocoanut Grove Nightclub Fire

In Boston. Killed almost 500 and injured hundreds more.

The doors were either chained shut, or welded, so no one could walk out on their bill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoanut_Grove_fire

When I was in Mortuary school, we learned all about this since a psychiatrist wrote a paper on grief from dealing with families of the deceased and the survivors that is still used and taught today.

Though largely forgotten today, the fire at the COCOANUT GROVE over Thanksgiving Week 1942 was talked about for years & years. It was very big deal at the time. I knew that movie star BUCK JONES was one of those killed. I remember reading an acount of one of the survivors, a woman who was so badly burned that she was never the same (again) and how it ticked her off when someone would tell her how lucky she was to have survived because she had spent a long time wishing that she had not.

BUCK JONES

Jaxxx Guest
    remember the one lisa was talking about didn't know about the one in 1942 killing Buck Jones

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    Though largely forgotten today, the fire at the COCOANUT GROVE over Thanksgiving Week 1942 was talked about for years & years. It was very big deal at the time. I knew that movie star BUCK JONES was one of those killed. I remember reading an acount of one of the survivors, a woman who was so badly burned that she was never the same (again) and how it ticked her off when someone would tell her how lucky she was to have survived because she had spent a long time wishing that she had not.

BUCK JONES
    The fire moved so fast (12 to 15 minutes beginning to end) it killed many people right at the table. They never even got to stand up. Buck was found slumped at his table with 3rd degree burns on his face and around his mouth. He dies anfter lingering in incredible pain in a Boston hospital. He was on a War Bond tour and had a bad cold and had tried to beg off of going out for dinner that night.
    Four people survived by climbing in the ice cream freezer till it had flashed over. The fire was actually very, very fast and was put out quickly.
    The city of Boston got grief because they stacked the bodies in city garbage trucks to move them to the temporary morgue. 492 people dead.
    It was a horrible disaster made so much worse because of the locked fire doors, the unlighted exits, the revolving door and other doors that opened in instead of out. Hundreds of people piled up against the door and they were trapped in the revolving door. Now law requires all revolving doors to be break away. If you push hard enough the center axis is designed to break away.
    The owner bragged about ties to the mob but was found guilty of manslaughter and served 4 years and was pardoned by the mayor of Boston.
    regards,
    Mary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coconut grove.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	13923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cc grove bodies.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	13924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ccg rescur.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	13925  

Guest Guest
    Sad about Buck Jones. He was a good actor.
    Very odd that the place was kept locked to stop customers getting away without paying! Very bad work ethic there!

RogerV Guest
    This tragedy is why you always see a regular door next to a revolving door. The main entrance was a revolving door which quickly became jammed with bodies.

While the club's safety measures were completely inadequate, the emergency services of Boston were not. Having trained and prepared for the possibility of air raid casualties, the fire department, police, ambulance companies, and hospitals operated like the proverbial "well oiled machine."

DexterKitty Guest
    I thought we had a thread on club fires somewhere? Hmmm.....

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterKitty View Post
    I thought we had a thread on club fires somewhere? Hmmm.....
    Not that I've seen... there are separate threads for the disaster in R.I., the Beverly Hills Supper Club in KY, and this one for the Cocoanut Grove fire...

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    In Boston. Killed almost 500 and injured hundreds more.

The doors were either chained shut, or welded, so no one could walk out on their bill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoanut_Grove_fire

When I was in Mortuary school, we learned all about this since a psychiatrist wrote a paper on grief from dealing with families of the deceased and the survivors that is still used and taught today.
    Great post Lisa! My family is from just outside Boston, and I remember, as a little kid, my grandparents talking about the fire. I just ordered the book cited in Wiki....it will pile up with the Columbine, true crime, and polygamy books...sheesh...this place is costing me a fortune!!!

DexterKitty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post
    Not that I've seen... there are separate threads for the disaster in R.I., the Beverly Hills Supper Club in KY, and this one for the Cocoanut Grove fire...
    It was mentioned in the Station Night Club fire thread.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxyMillions View Post
    Great post Lisa! My family is from just outside Boston, and I remember, as a little kid, my grandparents talking about the fire. I just ordered the book cited in Wiki....it will pile up with the Columbine, true crime, and polygamy books...sheesh...this place is costing me a fortune!!!
    I know, I know!!!!

Pryncis Guest
    I was reading the first chapter in my Crisis Intervention text book and this fire was mentioned to be the benchmark by which mental health professionals began what we know as crisis intervention and therapy today. I was sitting at work reading between calls and read it and was so stoked that I was familiar with it I said "OH WOW!" out loud. My supervisor thought something had happened to me!

My mom passed along to me a magazine called "Reminisce." I love reading about life in the days gone by. In a recent issue she gave me, a couple was remembering their trip to the Cocoanut Grove many years ago. So naturally I had to come here and post about it!!

DrDeath Guest
    From Wiki: Clifford Johnson went back in no fewer than four times in search of his date who, unbeknownst to him, had safely escaped. Johnson suffered extensive third-degree burns over 55% of his body but survived the disaster, becoming the most severely burned person ever to survive their injuries at the time. After 21 months in a hospital and several hundred operations, he married his nurse and returned to his home state of Missouri. Fourteen years later he burned to death in a fiery automobile crash.

Bloody hell erm fire. Someone up there wanted him to burn baby burn....

Katrinawitch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDeath View Post
    From Wiki: Clifford Johnson went back in no fewer than four times in search of his date who, unbeknownst to him, had safely escaped. Johnson suffered extensive third-degree burns over 55% of his body but survived the disaster, becoming the most severely burned person ever to survive their injuries at the time. After 21 months in a hospital and several hundred operations, he married his nurse and returned to his home state of Missouri. Fourteen years later he burned to death in a fiery automobile crash.

Holy crap, the poor guy! I guess his time was definitely up! It's like that movie Final Destination, where people somehow cheat death but it ends up coming for them anyway.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDeath View Post

Poor guy had Kingsford Karma.

Nelliebean Guest

Nelliebean Guest

Wow I could have sworn there was a long thread on Cocoanut Grove fire. Anyhoo, I'm in Boston & all they have is an unnoticeable plaque on the ground in the cobblestone. I stepped over it 5 times before I saw it...

See what I mean...
    Last edited by LLC; 07-18-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    remember the one lisa was talking about didn't know about the one in 1942 killing Buck Jones
    I realize this is an old post, but I just wanted to point out they were the same fire.

I can't even imagine the hugeness of a fire that killed 500 people. And to only have a revolving door for the main exit! I am so glad that they have changed that around. Imagine being wedged in that thing. Terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I realize this is an old post, but I just wanted to point out they were the same fire.

I can't even imagine the hugeness of a fire that killed 500 people. And to only have a revolving door for the main exit! I am so glad that they have changed that around. Imagine being wedged in that thing. Terrible.
    Me too. Now you must have egress on either side of a revolving door.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    Wow I could have sworn there was a long thread on Cocoanut Grove fire. Anyhoo, I'm in Boston & all they have is an unnoticeable plaque on the ground in the cobblestone. I stepped over it 5 times before I saw it...

See what I mean...
    Sad that is all there is

Sad that is all there is
    That's it. It's nothing but a parking lot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csgEMiy0lwM

As the club looked before. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coconut-grove41.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	42752
    Last edited by Miho; 07-19-2012 at 09:54 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Nelliebean Guest

Nelliebean Guest

Nelliebean Guest

Wow those pictures are amazing. ty

I love the guy in the hat, coat and cigar carrying the lady. Nothing was gonna make that guy not be dapper!

I have been searching for pictures of the door pile up. Nothing yet...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

lisalouver Guest
    As usual nelliebean comes through! Thank you for the pics!

Nelliebean Guest
    As usual nelliebean comes through! Thank you for the pics!
    You're welcome.

Fire scares the HELL out of me. There's a smoke detector in every room of my house.

The one in the kitchen is so sensitive that steam from a boiling pot will set the damn thing off!

My roommate burned up a ball of Chinese herbs in the microwave and the house was grey with SMOKE. Of course, the kitchen detector DIDN'T go off then!!!

Piece of garbage!

Nelliebean Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I have been searching for pictures of the door pile up. Nothing yet...
    So far I have the burned out revolving door.

Last edited by LLC; 07-20-2012 at 10:49 AM.

In the novel "Maine", this is covered, and it's horrifying.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Nelliebean Guest
    People were dead at their tables with drinks in their hands. That must have been one HELL of a flash.

IrishBabe Guest
    For some reason, I have a vague memory of a recreation of this fire...like an entire show dedicated to it. I think it was on HBO. Anyone else remember this?

Never mind, I found it. It was called Flashback: Fire At The Cocoanut Grove. This is a snippet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nutojaCLliE
    Last edited by IrishBabe; 07-21-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Found reference

Gonna have to watch that HBO special later.

Nightclub fires.....totally make me wanna stay out of nightclubs.

*shivers*

Some of those pictures up there are freaking gory. IMO. People burnt to a crisp and all. EEK.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Quote Originally Posted by toddmanning View Post
    Gonna have to watch that HBO special later.

Nightclub fires.....totally make me wanna stay out of nightclubs.

*shivers*

Some of those pictures up there are freaking gory. IMO. People burnt to a crisp and all. EEK.
    I'm trying to find the documentary....

ryanolivia Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    You're welcome.

Fire scares the HELL out of me. There's a smoke detector in every room of my house.

The one in the kitchen is so sensitive that steam from a boiling pot will set the damn thing off!

My roommate burned up a ball of Chinese herbs in the microwave and the house was grey with SMOKE. Of course, the kitchen detector DIDN'T go off then!!!

Piece of garbage!
    I had a house fire a couple of years ago. It was a big fire. Big enough that a part of the house had to be taken down to the ground to repair and it was 9 months before we could move back in. During the fire, not ONE single smoke alarm went off. I had them in every room and 3 down the hall. Of course, these were the same alarms that would go off if toast burned in the kitchen. It was the smell that made me get up and look. It was lucky I did smell it because it was well after midnight and I am never, NEVER up that late. It was a total fluke that I was even awake. Anyway, the point of that ramble is that I don't have too much faith in smoke alarms.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    I just this week finished reading a book in which the main character's sister was killed in the Cocoanut Grove fire. I made a note to myself to check out if that was an actual event or not but kind of forgot about it until I opoened this forum and here it is! Now I can't wait to read all about it (although I'm sure it is terrible).

^^^ "Maine" Loved it.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

I was discussing this with my mother just now who's also a death hag. And, I accidentally said "Croakanut" Grove....Kind of Freudian. Yet, I feel horrible about saying it.

I want the book on this.

44. 08-03-2012, 01:17 PM

The death toll actually could've been much higher, but fortunately the fire department was close by. They were called out to an automobile fire right around the corner from the Grove. As they were heading back to the station house they drove past the club and saw the smoke.
    The fire gave off toxic fumes as well. There were many cases of people showing up to the hospital with minor injuries, only to drop dead while waiting due to inhaling the fumes.
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

I have just ordered "Fire In The Grove". Has anyone read it?

47. 08-13-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Timeo Vitae View Post
    I remember looking up the lady on the right by the initials on her sweater. I enjoy being a ghoul.
    What was her name?

Quote Originally Posted by catlady1962 View Post
    I have just ordered "Fire In The Grove". Has anyone read it?
    I've got a copy of it. It's good, but my favorite Grove book is "Cocoanut Grove" by Edward Keyes. It's been out of print for quite some time, but I managed to get a copy used through Amazon. It was written in the early 80's but until the last few years it was the only book out there that was entirely about the fire. I've lost count of how many times I've read it.

Quote Originally Posted by toddmanning View Post
    What was her name?
    I believe her name is Rose Bean.
    Here's a link to the fire commissioner's report including a list of injured and deceased:
    http://www.archive.org/stream/report...0bost_djvu.txt

Thanks.

Elixson Guest
    The owner of the Coconut Grove was the Mafia attorney Barnet "Barney" Welansky who was under the gun at the time from wiseguy Frank Borghetti. There is some speculation that the fire was not an accident. The Grove had been a speakeasy in the 1920s.