Thread: Sacheen Littlefeather, 75

Sacheen Littlefeather, 75

Activist that declined the Oscar for Marlon Brando in 1973, then famously spoke about Native American rights:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/s...ar-1235390968/

Quote Originally Posted by ShyLurker View Post
    Activist that declined the Oscar for Marlon Brando in 1973, then famously spoke about Native American rights:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/s...ar-1235390968/
    I can't believe the way people reacted to her, the worst being John Wayne who had to be held back by guards because he was that incensed they thought he was going to assault her.

At least she finally got the apology before she passed even if it was long overdue.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by shellc View Post
    I can't believe the way people reacted to her, the worst being John Wayne who had to be held back by guards because he was that incensed they thought he was going to assault her.

At least she finally got the apology before she passed even if it was long overdue.
    So true, John Wayne was always a racist jerk.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I don't believe that John Wayne story. I have read many books about him and his private life was much different than his public image. I could never see him attacking a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by longstreet View Post
    I don't believe that John Wayne story. I have read many books about him and his private life was much different than his public image. I could never see him attacking a woman.
    Gonna have to agree to disagree because I think he would be capable. Take the Playboy interview he did where he disparaged black people. For years his fans defended him either saying he never said it or it was taken out of conxext. Even when the whole interview was released, people tried to defend him saying it wasn't racist when it 100% was. if he can say and think that about black people then it isn't that much of a stretch to think he could treat a Native American woman like that or at least try to.

He wasn't the only one either. While she got some cheers, just as many booed her and thought it was okay to do the 'tomahawk chop' actions at her. I mean the fact she had to have bodyguards to start with says a lot. She was due an apology from a lot of people and it was crappy that she only got it from the Academy, worse still many years after it should have happened.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/s...ne-1235371769/

well well well,seems she lied about being Native American..... Just weeks afterthe death of Sacheen Littlefeather — the actress and activist who declined Marlon Brando’s 1973 Oscar win for The Godfather on his behalf and was blacklisted in Hollywood — her biological sisters have revealed that she fabricated her Native American ancestry. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/sacheen-littlefeather-lied-native-american-161741862.html It’s a lie,” Littlefeather’s sister Trudy Orlandi told author Jacqueline Keeler. “My father was who he was. His family came from Mexico. And my dad was born in Oxnard.”Sister Rosalind Cruz added, “It is a fraud. It’s disgusting to the heritage of the tribal people. And it’s just … insulting to my parents.”
    Part of the sisters’ decision to come forward with Littlefeather’s fraudulence was to rightfully honor their father, who Littlefeather painted as an abusive drunk in interviews, as well as embellished the family’s poverty growing up;

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    well well well,seems she lied about being Native American..... Just weeks afterthe death of Sacheen Littlefeather — the actress and activist who declined Marlon Brando’s 1973 Oscar win for The Godfather on his behalf and was blacklisted in Hollywood — her biological sisters have revealed that she fabricated her Native American ancestry. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/sacheen-littlefeather-lied-native-american-161741862.html It’s a lie,” Littlefeather’s sister Trudy Orlandi told author Jacqueline Keeler. “My father was who he was. His family came from Mexico. And my dad was born in Oxnard.”Sister Rosalind Cruz added, “It is a fraud. It’s disgusting to the heritage of the tribal people. And it’s just … insulting to my parents.”
    Part of the sisters’ decision to come forward with Littlefeather’s fraudulence was to rightfully honor their father, who Littlefeather painted as an abusive drunk in interviews, as well as embellished the family’s poverty growing up;
    I heard she wasn't really Native American years ago, but the thing is Mexico was once the center of the Aztec Empire, which means Mexicans are a mix of Native American and Spanish peoples. So, she was only half lying. I once thought my Great Grandfather Standridge was a a half blood, but I have since discovered via family that he was actually a full blood Cherokee, and I'm proud of it. Would I dress in buckskin and proclaim I was Native American? No, because I wasn't raised in the life. https://talkradionews.com/are-mexica...e-americans/#r
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The stories that she had made up her heritage came almost immediately after her appearance at the Oscars. Why are the sisters bringing it up now that she is gone? They have had almost 50 years to set the record straight and honor their father. And will the Academy rescind their apology.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I was only a few months old when the whole Oscar thing with her was going on, so I didn't know it came out that she made it up. I am part Native myself, was raised in the culture, would I dress in regalia nope, I went to one powwow and sat on the sidelines watching. Its a shame she had to lie about her background just to get attention,and fight for a cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    The stories that she had made up her heritage came almost immediately after her appearance at the Oscars. Why are the sisters bringing it up now that she is gone? They have had almost 50 years to set the record straight and honor their father. And will the Academy rescind their apology.
    The woman who wrote the article Jacqueline Keeler is seemingly hated among Indigenous people. Rather than help them, she seemingly goes out of her way to write things bringing them down. This has caused a huge backlash online, more so since the article doesn't say she had a vendetta against Sacheen and her family for years and one of the sisters admitted herself she only found out because Jacqueline told her so a year or so ago which contradicts what they said in the article about knowing for years. One of the sisters also had a falling out with Sacheen as well so I think it's sour grapes more than anything and as many are saying, people shouldn't automatically believe Jacqueline as she has lied and been caught out before numerous times. She had plenty of time to write this but the fact she has only done it now Sacheen has died says a lot.

Because of the truth, we now know she was a white woman.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

And we have our own here. Like Sacheen, it seems to be more prestigious to be someone other then who you actually are. https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-be-indigenous
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

And we have our own here. Like Sacheen, it seems to be more prestigious to be someone other then who you actually are. https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-be-indigenous
    Indeed. I have a family member who once dated a half-blood Cherokee man who was raised in the life. The gal in my family loved to tinker around in his jewelry-making shop. He called her one day to say he was picking her up, and she said to me, "I'm going to go to Mike's and play Indian!" I go, "'Play Indian'?" SMH
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

What? Oh dear!

What? Oh dear!
    Exactly.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD