Thread: Gary Brooker, 76; Lead singer of Procol Harum

Gary Brooker, 76; Lead singer of Procol Harum

Always liked "Whiter Shade of Pale" (and know both Annie Lennox and Sammy Hagar have covered it!)

https://twitter.com/billboard/status...90583387344899

RIP.

Very sad news...Whiter Shade of Pale is one of my all-time favorite songs!

Sadly, singers from my youth in the 1970s are
    dying off.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Loved that song! I thought his voice did not change a bit as he aged. RIP.

Very saddening. Saw Procol Harum in Feb. 2019, Brooker was the only original member but his voice was unchanged from the 60's and it was magic hearing those classics. RIP

So I Googled the lyrics for that song and I know nothing more than I did before. Does anyone know what this song means?
    Pecunia Loquitur Taurus Cacas Ambulat

Quote Originally Posted by Follower View Post
    So I Googled the lyrics for that song and I know nothing more than I did before. Does anyone know what this song means?
    From americansongwriter.com (despite their being British), "The general consensus is that “A Whiter Shade Of Pale” is a snapshot of a drunken sexual escapade gone awry. Yet the song defies a specific interpretation, instead conjuring various shades of melancholy which are embellished by the mournful music and Brooker’s pained delivery." I didn't know that was the consensus! I think perhaps its most enduring testament is that when asked, John Lennon said it was his favorite song. High praise indeed.

I'm actually a big fan of Procol Harum's middle period starting with Grand Hotel. I admire Brooker sticking to his guns and not changing with the times. The band folded around 1978 rather than compromise their classically influenced rock music, and then had a comeback album in 1991 and toured off and on since then. Never did get to see them, but I have videos I play now and then. RIP Mr. Brooker.

WSOP one of my faves

Often used as bump music on overnight CTC AM (aliens conspiracy et al) so I thought it might have a supernatural theme.