Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film and TV remakes of old TV shows

xenaswolf Guest

Film and TV remakes of old TV shows

I dunno, I'm seeing the Bionic Woman and well I just don't like it.
    That new vampire show, Moonlight seems to be a take off on Angel and Forever Knight.

Are today's writers that hard up for material that they can't come up with their own ideas or what?

ComputerGuy Guest
    Haven't watched anything since I found this board. My wife called the other day from Kansas, and I hadn't realized she was gone!!

b57hrle Guest
    Personally, I have a hard time with the remakes, like Battlestar Galactica... remade and completely changed even down to the sex of the characters... the bionic woman I've only seen once and it wasn't a complete episode so I'm not sure yet on that... I guess for the ones seeing these for the first time they may be good, but for us that watched and possibly enjoyed the originals, the remakes are lacking... either that or I'm just an old dog that isnt enjoying the new tricks... LOL

candleinthewind Guest
    I don't like Bionic Woman at all. I've watched it twice and just couldn't get into it. I do like Battlestar Galactica. It's a good show but is completely unrelated to the original. In general remakes are a bad idea because either it's a copy or it is so unrelated that the original fans will hate it.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    Haven't watched anything since I found this board. My wife called the other day from Kansas, and I hadn't realized she was gone!!
    LMFAO!!!

Vangoghsear Guest

am still awaiting.....

The remake of NIght Court.......but how can you replace Markie Post?

onehunglow Guest

Try this

Quote Originally Posted by Vangoghsear View Post
    The remake of NIght Court.......but how can you replace Markie Post?
    Rachael Ray: she cooks!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    ROFLMFAO.......poor wife.

Littleroben Guest
    Does Star Trek count as a remake or spin off, anyway I think that one would prove remakes can work

xenaswolf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleroben View Post
    Does Star Trek count as a remake or spin off, anyway I think that one would prove remakes can work
    I did like STNG and DSP, but I hated the original so they were like new shows to me.

Movie Remakes of TV Show

Love'm, Hate'm, what's you opinion.

I'm talking here about "remakes" , with an entirely new cast, such as "Dukes Of Hazard", "Starsky and Hutch", not movies like the Star Trek films where the used the cast from the TV shows. Although the upcoming Star Trek movie will fall into this category, it hasn't been made yet.

My favorite remake was "The Beverly Hillbillies".
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106400/
    I thought they did a good job of honoring the characters from the series. I think Jim Varney made an excellent Jed Clampett.

My least favorite was the aforementioned "Starsky and Hutch".
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335438/
    I don't think the movie lived up to the hype and did not capture the spirit of the TV show.

Let us know what you think.
    Last edited by John Trim; 12-06-2007 at 02:40 AM.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kathyf Guest
    I did like the Starsky and Hutch a lot. There was a lot of hype but they all did a great job. I liked Snoop Dog as Huggy Bear. The Beverly Hillbilles I enjoyed too.
    I hated The Dukes of Hazard. Bewitched was good. I just wish they stayed more to the real story. MY kids liked Miami Vice I did not see it. I really liked Scooby Doo.
    Lost in Space was pretty bad as well as the Honeymooners.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    I did like the Starsky and Hutch a lot. There was a lot of hype but they all did a great job. I liked Snoop Dog as Huggy Bear. The Beverly Hillbilles I enjoyed too.
    I hated The Dukes of Hazard. Bewitched was good. I just wish they stayed more to the real story. MY kids liked Miami Vice I did not see it. I really liked Scooby Doo.
    Lost in Space was pretty bad as well as the Honeymooners.
    I liked "Lost in Space" as a movie on it's own, mainly because I like Sci/Fi. I don't think it was true to the show, but it was nice to see the original cast members that did cameos. I don't know how true it is but I heard the director wanted Bill Mumy for the part of the older Will in the movie. If it was true I don't know why it didn't happen. "Bewitched" kinda bothered me because the story line was kind of weird. If they had just done a remake with the actors they had I might have liked it better. Haven't seen "Miami Vice" either. I like "The Dukes of Hazzard".
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johntrim040851 View Post
    I liked "Lost in Space" as a movie on it's own, mainly because I like Sci/Fi. I don't think it was true to the show, but it was nice to see the original cast members that did cameos. I don't know how true it is but I heard the director wanted Bill Mumy for the part of the older Will in the movie. If it was true I don't know why it didn't happen. "Bewitched" kinda bothered me because the story line was kind of weird. If they had just done a remake with the actors they had I might have liked it better. Haven't seen "Miami Vice" either. I like "The Dukes of Hazzard".
    The thing is it is so hard to watch something re-made when you enjoyed it for many years. I only saw a few original Lost in Space I thought the movie by itself was okay. I love when thet have the real actors in the Cameo's. I did enjoy The Brady Bunch Ones even though they made fun. Remember Hazel I just bought the first season. No one remembers that.

The thing is it is so hard to watch something re-made when you enjoyed it for many years. I only saw a few original Lost in Space I thought the movie by itself was okay. I love when thet have the real actors in the Cameo's. I did enjoy The Brady Bunch Ones even though they made fun. Remember Hazel I just bought the first season. No one remembers that.
    I use to watch Hazel all the time. The shows were great. The Hazel House on the back lot became the home of Danny Glover in the Lethal Weapon movies. I'm not sure if it was the first house or the second. At some point during the series she changed families. I think she went to work for the original Mr. Baxter's brother. The house was also used in the Giget TV series. The garage they used then is the one that is now attached to the Bewitched house next door. I could go on and on about back lots.
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kathyf Guest
    Cool, I never heard that. I did go on the Universal in Florida and Hollywood. I love it there. I will have to look at those movies and check.

Cool, I never heard that. I did go on the Universal in Florida and Hollywood. I love it there. I will have to look at those movies and check.

The back lot where the Hazel house is belongs to Warner Bros. now but use to belong to Columbia Screen Gem. A lot of old sitcoms where film there. Dennis the Menace. I Dream of Jeannie(her house was Mr. Wilson's house and was originally built for the Blondie Movies). Donna Reed, The Partridge Family and Gladys Kravitz all lived in the same house. Like I mentioned before the Bewitched house is there also. Gidget with Sally Field was done there as well as the Flying Nun. The Convent was right behind the Partridge Family house. Oh and the Hazel house was use in 1949 and 1950 in a couple of old Batman movie serials as Bruce Wayne's home.

If you'd like to learn more check out this site. It's got a lot of info and pictures.

http://www.1164.com/

1164 Morning Glory Circle was Darren and Samantha address.

I'm a freak when it comes to back lots and behind the scenes. If you ever have any questions about where something was filmed just ask. I probably know.

Sorry I got so long winded. I get started and sometimes don't know when to stop.
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kathyf Guest
    The back lot where the Hazel house is belongs to Warner Bros. now but use to belong to Columbia Screen Gem. A lot of old sitcoms where film there. Dennis the Menace. I Dream of Jeannie(her house was Mr. Wilson's house and was originally built for the Blondie Movies). Donna Reed, The Partridge Family and Gladys Kravitz all lived in the same house. Like I mentioned before the Bewitched house is there also. Gidget with Sally Field was done there as well as the Flying Nun. The Convent was right behind the Partridge Family house. Oh and the Hazel house was use in 1949 and 1950 in a couple of old Batman movie serials as Bruce Wayne's home.

If you'd like to learn more check out this site. It's got a lot of info and pictures.

http://www.1164.com/

1164 Morning Glory Circle was Darren and Samantha address.

I'm a freak when it comes to back lots and behind the scenes. If you ever have any questions about where something was filmed just ask. I probably know.

Sorry I got so long winded. I get started and sometimes don't know when to stop.
    Thank you! I love all this too. I will definitley ask you when I need help. That website is great! I liked seeing the psycho house. It's been a while. I loved the Partridge Family too. Wasn't the Leave it to Beaver set used for another show too. I remember seeing the Bewitched house in a movie or show. I heard the brady hus is on Sale for 1 million.

Thank you! I love all this too. I will definitley ask you when I need help. That website is great! I liked seeing the psycho house. It's been a while. I loved the Partridge Family too. Wasn't the Leave it to Beaver set used for another show too. I remember seeing the Bewitched house in a movie or show. I heard the brady hus is on Sale for 1 million.
    The Beaver House that is currently on Universal's back lot tour was build for the 1994 remake of Leave it to Beaver(New Cast, Not the new series the started in 1884, Still The Beaver). That house is now in Desperate Housewives which is filmed at Universal. The original Beaver House was moved to an out of the way part of the lot that is not on the tour. The original house was built in 1950 or 51 for a Humphrey Bogart movie called Desperate Hours.
    Another web site you might like.

http://www.thestudiotour.com/ush/index.shtml

Look under Backlot and find Colonial Street.
    Lots of great pictures and info. They have a forum also. I'm on it with the same user name.

I had not heard that the Brady Bunch house was for sale. The exteriors were a real house for the TV show.
    Last edited by John Trim; 12-06-2007 at 04:59 AM.
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I actually LOVED the Mission: Impossible movies. the Brady Bunch movies were funny too.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    I actually LOVED the Mission: Impossible movies. the Brady Bunch movies were funny too.

I really enjoyed the first two Mission Impossible movies also. I haven't seen the 3rd one yet. I just didn't like that they turn Phelps into a bad guy in the first one. I liked the Brady Bunch movies better then I liked the show.
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I really enjoyed the first two Mission Impossible movies also. I haven't seen the 3rd one yet. I just didn't like that they turn Phelps into a bad guy in the first one. I liked the Brady Bunch movies better then I liked the show.
    the last M:I movies was REALLY good. I saw it in the theater, and it seriously blew me away. the best one so far. and I LOVE Brady Bunch growing up. so the movies were just that much more fun, because they spoofed everything. classic stuff.

As much as I dislike Ben Stiller, I loved the movie version of Starsky and Hutch. Loved Owen Wilson, *really* loved Snoop Dogg as Huggy Bear. I haven't see the Dukes of Hazzard movie(Jessica Simpson makes me break out in hives), but I thought Burt Reynolds would be great as Boss Hogg.

I hear that Bernie Mac is doing a Sanford and Son movie. Not sure how I feel about that - - Sanford and Son is my favorite sitcom ever.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    Love'm, Hate'm, what's you opinion.

I'm talking here about "remakes" , with an entirely new cast, such as "Dukes Of Hazard", "Starsky and Hutch", not movies like the Star Trek films where the used the cast from the TV shows. Although the upcoming Star Trek movie will fall into this category, it hasn't been made yet.

My favorite remake was "The Beverly Hillbillies".
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106400/
    I thought they did a good job of honoring the characters from the series. I think Jim Varney made an excellent Jed Clampett.

My least favorite was the aforementioned "Starsky and Hutch".
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335438/
    I don't think the movie lived up to the hype and did not capture the spirit of the TV show.

Let us know what you think.
    I loved The Beverly Hillbillies remake and Starsky and Hutch was good too. I loved the Brady Bunch remakes also. The Longest Yard was hilarious.

GrinReaper Guest
    All these TV remakes are showing that Hollywood is running out of original ideas.
    I'd rather see something new than a 2 hour TV show.

It is called BLASPHEMY.

Bidmor Guest
    The movie adaptation of "The Fugitive" was great I thought, of course it's hard to miss with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones.

In the right hands I think an adaptation of "Get Smart" could be a hit...a mix of Austin Powers and The Pink Panther. Yeah I remember "The Nude Bomb"...missed it by that much!

Grinreaper has a point...after movie makers ran out of movie remakes, they started in on tv.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 12-06-2007 at 10:18 AM.

TNpuck Guest
    That and comics, although I think the CGI is allowing them to make a better movie in regards to comics.

Rugger57 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    The movie adaptation of "The Fugitive" was great I thought, of course it's hard to miss with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones.

In the right hands I think an adaptation of "Get Smart" could be a hit...a mix of Austin Powers and The Pink Panther. Yeah I remember "The Nude Bomb"...missed it by that much!

Grinreaper has a point...after movie makers ran out of movie remakes, they started in on tv.

There is a remake of "Get Smart" that either HAS been shot, or is currently shooting. My guess is that it is for a 2008 release. The Don Adams roll is being handled by Steve Correll of "40 Year Old Virgin" fame.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    That and comics, although I think the CGI is allowing them to make a better movie in regards to comics.
    You reminded me...the Flintstones movie with John Goodman. Remember the secretary's name?...Sharon Stone, and Rosie O"Donnell as Betty!
    Last edited by Bidmor; 12-06-2007 at 10:41 AM.

TNpuck Guest
    I didn't see that one. Have they made a remake of Bullwinkle yet? That I would love to see.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    I didn't see that one. Have they made a remake of Bullwinkle yet? That I would love to see.
    Been done...in 2000...a stinker dispite the cast.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adv...and_Bullwinkle

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugger57 View Post
    There is a remake of "Get Smart" that either HAS been shot, or is currently shooting. My guess is that it is for a 2008 release. The Don Adams roll is being handled by Steve Correll of "40 Year Old Virgin" fame.
    Thanks for the heads up.

TNpuck Guest
    From the sound of it I'm glad I missed that one!!

The one that pisses me of is in the casting phase right now, Magnum P.I. They could use the real cast members and have a real good movie, but I hear its going to be Matthew McConaughey as Magnum. They are going to do what they did to Starskey and Hutch. SACRILEDGE!!!

Aww, I forgot The Fugitive. I loved the movie version, especially Tommy Lee Jones' character - - "I don't care."

WendyK Guest
    Brady Bunch all the way!

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by madeline View Post
    Aww, I forgot The Fugitive. I loved the movie version, especially Tommy Lee Jones' character - - "I don't care."
    "It ain't over til the big dog howls"

Nowereman Guest
    The Brady Bunch was OK

PvN73 Guest
    I loved the Brady Bunch ones, they were GOLD.. breaker breaker this is Christmas Carol, Do you read me?

I like the Starsky & Hutch - do it, do it, do it

No way on the Get Smart. The is absolute GOLD that original show... leave it as is I say.

Kathyf Guest
    You reminded me...the Flintstones movie with John Goodman. Remember the secretary's name?...Sharon Stone, and Rosie O"Donnell as Betty!
    Loved that too. Elizabeth Taylor was in the first one funny.

Kathyf Guest

The Brady Bunch House is up for sale for One Million Dollars

The Brady??s graced our TV screens in from 1969 ?? 1974 with the inconceivable notion that two people with three children each would one day get married and form The Brady Bunch. Let??s not forget Alice and Tiger lives there as well and late in the shows run, Oliver. Although Tiger had his dog house which may have been a good thing as we would today find out.
    Many of us play Brady trivia and reminisce over the many episodes as to which ones were our favorites. Of course for many 40 something guys, Marsha was everyones first crush. Guest appearances by Joe Namath and the famous volcano explosion scene, Johnny Bravo, the house of cards and the ghost in the attic.
    I came across a tidbit of information today regarding the actual Brady house that is for sale for one million dollars that I found rather amusing. Many gossip shows have been done regarding the ??relationships? that took place during the shows run.

However, the following bit of info is very funny considering the fact that Mike Brady was an architect ? How many people lived in that home at one time? 10. And that is not considering ??A Very Brady Christmas? when the spouses and grand children slept over the house. Read more on the very funny bit of info here at The Real Estate Blog.
    Here is that story John Maybe it was a joke.

Suzanne30 Guest
    Charlie's Angels was pretty good.

Guest Guest
    Well it started as a comic but the "Hulk" was shitty. Too bad because the series was the shiznit.

Jersey Girl Guest
    Oh I loved The Brady Bunch movies. They were a scream. The best thing about them was the little things from the show that appeared in the movie. You had to watch closely or you'd miss them the first time around.
    One of my favorites was a quick scene in the kitchen.. on the blackboard next to the fridge they had written "Pork Chops and apple sauce." LMAO, hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by biguncfan View Post
    Well it started as a comic but the "Hulk" was shitty. Too bad because the series was the shiznit.
    I love Eric Bana and Sam Elliot, but even they couldn't save that movie for me.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    The one that pisses me of is in the casting phase right now, Magnum P.I. They could use the real cast members and have a real good movie, but I hear its going to be Matthew McConaughey as Magnum. They are going to do what they did to Starskey and Hutch. SACRILEDGE!!!

I totally agree! They take these great TV shows and totally ruin them!!

jester joker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugger57 View Post
    I look forward to this and YES, Steve would be a great one to cast!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I'm the one person that liked the "Lost In Space" movie....thought Mimi Rogers (Maureen Robinson), Heather Graham (Judy Robinson), Gary Oldman (Dr. Smith) and even Matt LeBlanc (Don West) were perfect. Not so sure about William Hurt as John Robinson, he was a little too introspective for that role.
    Too bad the movie didn't have a better script, but I liked it anyway. Sequel? PLEASE ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I'm the one person that liked the "Lost In Space" movie....thought Mimi Rogers (Maureen Robinson), Heather Graham (Judy Robinson), Gary Oldman (Dr. Smith) and even Matt LeBlanc (Don West) were perfect. Not so sure about William Hurt as John Robinson, he was a little too introspective for that role.
    Too bad the movie didn't have a better script, but I liked it anyway. Sequel? PLEASE ??
    I liked the movie as a Sci/Fi movie. The cast was good. It was a good story. I just didn't feel it captured the spirit of the show.
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]