Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. Mojo Risin' (Jim Morrison)

HippieMama Guest

Mr. Mojo Risin' (Jim Morrison)

Well, I'll throw in my two cents here and take a moment to acknowledge one of my all-time favorite rockers, Jim Morrison. I personally think that this new story that recently came out about him dying in a club bathroom is probably more accurate than what we've heard before . . . anyone else with me? Not so much?

Hippiemama - I heard that story years ago, I don't know if I mentioned it on findadeath - but I had pictures of that club - it was the French version of the Whisky a Go Go. I am no Jimbo expert - but it made sense to me.

HippieMama Guest
    I always thought there was more to it than "I don't feel good, I'll take a bath". The only reason he touched heroin (if that truly is what got him finally) was that awful girlfriend of his who later died of a heroin overdose while working as a prostitute . . . she was a huge smackhead and just another person who aided and abetted a fabulous person for their own gain and personal satisfaction until they were no more.

Eugenioinreno Guest

A great artist

He was an adult,made his choice,and is forever young.I liked "tell all the people" best.

Btvs2678 Guest
    [SIZE=3]I agree with [SIZE=2]Eugenioinreno. He was a big boy and shye didn't stick the needle in his arm. I do agree that it was more likey he died in the bathroom of the club.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

knothere Guest
    Jim was the only one I thought that didn't die when they say he did. He could still be alive ya never know.

relander Guest
    Did you know that he owned a house down on Kings Road in Los Angeles, just above Sunset strip? Yeah he needed a tax write-off.

It was always suspected that Jim Morrison died at the WAGG. The club still advertises itself as being the last place where he was seen alive.
    However, there is apparently something more sinister at play because according to the french filmmaker Agnès Varda, who was with him when he died, everyone including his family has signed a contract saying they would not disclose the circumstances. The contract came from Elektra Records.
    Is it true? Is such a contract even legal? I don't know. But I tend to believe Agnès Varda.

erin Guest
    I, too, am a fan of Jim Morrison, but as I have learned over time, the true story is usually the most simple, unextravegant version. I have never questioned the story that he died in his hotel bathroom, but it really would not surprise me if he did die in the club. I do think that any conspiracy theory that has or might come out would be just silly.

towser Guest
    First...thanks for this forum, Scott!! I've loved your site for years, and I go through withdrawal whenever it's not updated...sometimes I'll revisit a bunch of the entries as a quick fix

lol....I wasted about 4 hours one day at work looking through the Letters from Moe ( http://web2.airmail.net/willdogs/letters.htm ) site linked on your Three Stooges page...

anyway, enough with the adulation

Back to the Lizard King....Do you remember hearing about the demo tape Jim made with some American street musicians he bumped into while in Paris? I found this on the net a few years ago, and it's pretty painful to listen to....Jim was wayyyyyy out there!

t

meggles Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by *ech* View Post
    It was always suspected that Jim Morrison died at the WAGG. The club still advertises itself as being the last place where he was seen alive.
    However, there is apparently something more sinister at play because according to the french filmmaker Agnès Varda, who was with him when he died, everyone including his family has signed a contract saying they would not disclose the circumstances. The contract came from Elektra Records.
    Is it true? Is such a contract even legal? I don't know. But I tend to believe Agnès Varda.
    Interesting! I am a big Jim Morrison fan...the whole thing just seemed rather weird to me. I would assume a contract such as that is legal, but as all documents go, they're all made to be challenged and broken. One can only hope...

He probably just died in the bathtub, but that's just not interesting enough so conspiracies abound. But I do love sinister!!

Red face

I don't think Jim is still alive. After all of these years, I'm pretty sure he would have popped up somewhere. I think he dug the fame too much to just ditch it all like he did - and for this many years.

But I do believe the night-club death thing.

Maybe Oliver Stone should re-write the ending to his movie!

HippieMama Guest
    Oliver Stone should rewrite almost the whole entire movie . . . most of it was completely inaccurate, albeit a fascinating movie. The collector's edition DVD has a great documentary on it called The Road to Excess . . . check it out if you can.

JenniferB Guest
    I was just at Jim's grave in Paris on Tuesday (last day of my honeymoon... checked out Oscar Wilde, too). There appears to be a name or an inscription underneath his name and birth/death dates. Does anyone know anything about that?

HippieMama Guest
    I'm not sure what it says, but have you seen that photo that shows his ghost in the background behind his grave? It's been floating around the internet for awhile.

Cataroo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferB View Post
    I was just at Jim's grave in Paris on Tuesday (last day of my honeymoon... checked out Oscar Wilde, too). There appears to be a name or an inscription underneath his name and birth/death dates. Does anyone know anything about that?
    Maybe you're talking about this:

Morrison's gravestone has a Greek inscription reading Κατά τον δαίμονα εαυτού (transcribed into Roman lettering: KATA TON DAIMONA EAYTOY). Various interpretations have been proposed, including, "down (presumably in Hell) with his own demons", "burnt by his demons", "with the devil himself." In ancient Greek, the word daimon means spirit rather than demon and contains no negative or pejorative qualities. The phrase is more properly translated as "True to his own spirit," and is the meaning intended by the Morrison family when the inscription was selected. It was Morrison's father who either selected the phrase or drafted it himself.

JenniferB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HippieMama View Post
    I'm not sure what it says, but have you seen that photo that shows his ghost in the background behind his grave? It's been floating around the internet for awhile.
    No! That's crazy! I went to the site that has the gravestones, and I saw that it looks like his was replaced a few times. It's pretty burried (no pun intended) between all these other gravestones. We had a map and kept saying "It has to be here, this is the spot" but we almost missed it. I'll see if I can upload the pics.

HippieMama Guest
    Check it out, it's pretty strange . . . maybe a fake, but people there that day swear they were just taking a picture and didn't even notice what looks like a completely intact yet transparent Morrison leaning on a wall directly behind the stone. Let me know what you think when you find it.

Cataroo Guest

First I'd like to thank Scott for the hours of entertainment this site has given me. I have read every single word, some of it twice.

Jim Morrison (my favorite dead guy). I was a little surprised that there is a thread
    about him so soon but I guess I shouldn't be. I've read so many books and articles
    about Jimbo, they all get kinda jumbled in my head sometimes. I have to admit that I tend to believe what Danny Sugarman had to say about Pamela once she returned to the USA. It was in Jerry Hopkins second book
    'Lizard King' (she was alive when he wrote the first one 'No One Here Gets Out Alive'.
    Danny was hooked on heroin by the time Pam come back to the USA and she stayed with him awhile "sharing his drugs" as she was pretty much penniless with Jim gone. He asked her what REALLY happened in Paris one night when they were stoned and she allegedly told him "he (Jim) found my stash and got mad and asked me what it was, so I told him it was just coke". He cut out a big ol' line and that was pretty much "The End".

My reasoning behind believing this story is-- who in hell would say such a thing if it weren't true and Sug had no reason to make up something like that. Also, I have read lots of accounts of how guilty she felt about his death and some of the people saying this were her friends who were in no way supporting this account but were just commenting on her mental state. Obviously she went a little bonkers afterward -- driving her car into the window of the store Jim had financed for her, talking to their dog as though he were Jim....etc It just fits with so many other things documented, such as Jim's disgust/fear when it came to opiates. Of course he'd do any other drug but supposedly that was where he drew his line and the couple often fought over her herion addiction and his alcoholism. Also, to be able to use her likeness in 'The Doors' movie, Oliver Stone had to agree to NOT portray her as having ANYTHING to do
    with Jim's death. So evidently Daddy Courson (Pam's dad has the rights to all of Jim's writing/music) had heard this also. It's amazing how bitterly people are still arguing the 'Jim did Pam in/Pam did Jim in' issue on the Internet. For whatever reason there is still a lot of people interested in him. Scott- you could probably fill a bus if
    you did a exclusive 'Jim Morrison haunts LA' tour once every year or so. I'm not kidding.

Sorry for the long post- I think I got carried away. This death is one of the things in life that I crave to know the answer to.
    Last edited by DIRESTRAITS; 10-04-2007 at 12:26 PM.

From my own experience ghosts and/or apparitions normally appear as orbs (balls of light) in photographs but maybe Jim didn't want to be ordinary, who knows.

meggles Guest
    Check it out, it's pretty strange . . . maybe a fake, but people there that day swear they were just taking a picture and didn't even notice what looks like a completely intact yet transparent Morrison leaning on a wall directly behind the stone. Let me know what you think when you find it.

Woo, that's weird!!

I kept looking for the leather pants though. *swoon* a moment of silence here. Nobody could work a pair of leather pants like Jim. *swoon again*

Hey, I guess anything's possible!

erin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    From my own experience ghosts and/or apparitions normally appear as orbs (balls of light) in photographs but maybe Jim didn't want to be ordinary, who knows.
    i have also seen orbs, which are most common types of "Ghost" pix, but i have also seen lights, sort of like the northern lights, i have seen figures like the one in the morrison grave pic, as well and shadows and light. i believe that the strength of the energy from the spirit has something to do with what type of apparition is filmed. and, no, i'm not some nut who believes that any strange thing in a any ol' picture is a ghost

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferB View Post
    No! That's crazy! I went to the site that has the gravestones, and I saw that it looks like his was replaced a few times. It's pretty burried (no pun intended) between all these other gravestones. We had a map and kept saying "It has to be here, this is the spot" but we almost missed it. I'll see if I can upload the pics.
    Wow, i had never seen the ghosty picture before....pretty cool stuff!! I dug out some of my photos to see if he decided to pop up, but no such luck
    It is really difficult to find his headstone now as jenniferB says, I've been there a few times (the last time being in March 07)

From March 07

From 94, alot easier to find, just follow the Graffitti and the smell of joints!

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    i have also seen orbs, which are most common types of "Ghost" pix, but i have also seen lights, sort of like the northern lights, i have seen figures like the one in the morrison grave pic, as well and shadows and light. i believe that the strength of the energy from the spirit has something to do with what type of apparition is filmed. and, no, i'm not some nut who believes that any strange thing in a any ol' picture is a ghost
    It is a cool pic..very cool to think he'd come out to play just for that picture! there really was just something about that guy! sigh

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    It is a cool pic..very cool to think he'd come out to play just for that picture! there really was just something about that guy! sigh
    But how do we know if it's really Jim? It may be some deceased French guy who was also buried in that cemetary who wanted to be in the photo.

The face isn't clear - so we can't be sure!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Byronmarco View Post
    Wow, i had never seen the ghosty picture before....pretty cool stuff!! I dug out some of my photos to see if he decided to pop up, but no such luck
    It is really difficult to find his headstone now as jenniferB says, I've been there a few times (the last time being in March 07)

From March 07

From 94, alot easier to find, just follow the Graffitti and the smell of joints!

My sister visted the grave about 10 or so years ago when she was out there. She said there were people crying around the grave and were "offended" when she was taking photos of the grave.

Someone stole the original bust of Jim that was on top of the grave many years ago, and then swiped a plaque that was there also. I think the family has pretty much given up!

erin Guest
    i know that poeple take these things becasue they love the celeb, and want something for posterity, but it really makes me mad that they don't think of how the family or the rest of the world would feel about something so personal being stolen. i think it's selfish and disrespectful.

i know that poeple take these things becasue they love the celeb, and want something for posterity, but it really makes me mad that they don't think of how the family or the rest of the world would feel about something so personal being stolen. i think it's selfish and disrespectful.
    It's also bad karma too. I would NEVER mess with someone's grave!

HippieMama Guest
    Pere Lachaise (spelling?), the cemetery where he is buried, has even tried over the years to have him exhumed and moved due to the destruction not only to Jim's grave but to surrounding resting places as well . . . this kind of desecration is so nauseating, and someone like Jim who was so intelligent would be disgusted by it. Let them rest in peace!

Bellfire Guest
    I always thought there was more to it than "I don't feel good, I'll take a bath". The only reason he touched heroin (if that truly is what got him finally) was that awful girlfriend of his who later died of a heroin overdose while working as a prostitute . . . she was a huge smackhead and just another person who aided and abetted a fabulous person for their own gain and personal satisfaction until they were no more.
    No, that's not fair. You are talking about a man that had a 160 IQ and who covienced a woman not to have his child. He took the drugs because it put him in the place he wanted to be. He always talked about death and dying but he liked being just spaced so he didn't have to feel. I believe he was very lonely though.

HippieMama Guest
    Although I do believe he drank and drugged a lot in order to avoid his situation, but he didn't like being "spaced" . . . he believed that drugs opened up your mind, unfortunately they ultimately closed his. He was TERRIBLY lonely, surrounded with ignorant hangers-on who couldn't even have a decent conversation with this intelligent man.
    I can tell you this though, he convinced a lot more than one woman to terminate a pregnancy, but it doesn't take a genius to say the right thing . . . especially to groupies. His wife, who had an abortion and detailed it in her book did state though that she wasn't forced to do it, it was a choice of her own.

jillmt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataroo View Post

Hello everyone

One thing that has always bothered me a lot about the "Jim's Ghost" pic is how off center the focus of the picture is. The person was obviously trying to get a pic of someone at his grave, but the focus of the picture appears to be in the exact area that the "ghost" image appears. Just seems shady to me. That is not to say that it is absolutely NOT or IS what it is claimed to be, just an observation.

As far as ghost photography...orbs are not the only way to catch a spirit on film, and are usually dust, insects, dirt on the lens, glare from something outside of the shot, or moisture in the air. Orbs are one of the easiest to explain, and are in no way a proof of spirit activity. If the above pic is truly a ghost, it's by far one of the best "Holy Grail" pictures that everyone interested seeks out; the full body apparition.

-jill

knothere Guest
    there r other pics like that too of jimmi hendrikx... randy roads...n so on....i think its excelent art either way....im not sayin jim is still alive today i just dont think he died when they say he did

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    Hippiemama - I heard that story years ago, I don't know if I mentioned it on findadeath - but I had pictures of that club - it was the French version of the Whisky a Go Go. I am no Jimbo expert - but it made sense to me.
    Hi Scott - love your site!! Was wondering about the Jim Morrison story in Findadeath - I was always wondering what the Doors office looked like on La Cienega Blvd - is the building still there? Any pics from it?

candleinthewind Guest
    I was at Pere Lachaise in 1988. At the time, the grave was "unmarked". There was a simple stone surrounded by overgrown weeds and it was not marked on the grave map. The place is HUGE and you get a map at the entrance showing where everybody is. The stone itself had no inscription, except for someone spelling out "Jim" in bubblegum and there were arrows painted on surrounding headstones to show you the way. My friend and I are not Morrison experts but we are music freaks so there we were. There was a hippie couple who had made a pilgimage from Germany and they did not appreciate our snickering about the bubblegum.

My mother actually has a real photograph (unaltered) taken from an airplane and it's of the sky. You can clearly see a figure that looks like Jesus (I will scan it and share soon). You can see his robe, belt, head, hands... now I saw this when I was young and it convinced me that there are spirits out there and that somebody that looked like Jesus (if not Jesus himself) did exist. Based on what I saw with my own two eyes I wouldn't be surprised if this Jim Morrison picture was actually real.
    Last edited by Jason; 10-05-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Oliver Stone should rewrite almost the whole entire movie . . . most of it was completely inaccurate, albeit a fascinating movie. The collector's edition DVD has a great documentary on it called The Road to Excess . . . check it out if you can.

I saw this excellent documentary Hippie Mama is right it is GREAT!!!!

jazzhands Guest
    Has anyone read Patricia (Pam) Kennealys book, Strange Days? It's really interesting and gives a lot more insight to her situation with Jim than anything else I've ever read about the two of them. She has photos of his grave as well, apparently she did some decorating..

HippieMama Guest
    GREAT book . . . whole name is Strange Days: My Life With and Without Jim Morrison

BUT HOLD UP
    Patricia is NOT Pam . . . his girlfriend was Pamela Courson, she is long dead of a heroin overdose during her gig as a prostitute after his death . . . Patricia Keneally Morrison is a totally different person . . . someone who would be very offended if she knew she was being confused with or portrayed as Pam, who answered her door once only to greet Patricia totally topless and so high she was oblivious to the fact.

Did you even READ the book???
    Last edited by HippieMama; 10-06-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Trivia: Stephen King's book The Stand makes mention of one of the characters being convinced he saw Jim at a gas station in TX long after his alleged death.

Gawd, how do I remember this crap but I can't tell you where my car keys or checkbook are at any given time?

HippieMama Guest
    Your keys and checkbook are probably with mine at a Texas gas station

jazzhands Guest
    GREAT book . . . whole name is Strange Days: My Life With and Without Jim Morrison

BUT HOLD UP
    Patricia is NOT Pam . . . his girlfriend was Pamela Courson, she is long dead of a heroin overdose during her gig as a prostitute after his death . . . Patricia Keneally Morrison is a totally different person . . . someone who would be very offended if she knew she was being confused with or portrayed as Pam, who answered her door once only to greet Patricia totally topless and so high she was oblivious to the fact.

Did you even READ the book???
    I own it, so yes I did.

You're right though, I had meant to put Pat, not Pam, I was reading the Pam posts before I replied myself.

HippieMama Guest
    Thanks for correcting it . . . sorry, I am super-anal with everything Jim. There is so much misinformation out there!
    Incidentally, if you want to check out Patricia's blog, here is the address. She is finishing up a new book so she hasn't been posting a ton lately, but still posting . . . she is such a great writer.
    http://mojohotel.blogspot.com/

jazzhands Guest
    Thanks for correcting it . . . sorry, I am super-anal with everything Jim. There is so much misinformation out there!
    Incidentally, if you want to check out Patricia's blog, here is the address. She is finishing up a new book so she hasn't been posting a ton lately, but still posting . . . she is such a great writer.
    http://mojohotel.blogspot.com/
    No problem. The internet is really confusing with death stories and histories about things. Like you said, there's so much misinformation. That's why I bought the book! I wanted some facts..

Thanks for the link, also. I had no idea she was writing another book.

HippieMama Guest
    She's writing a whole new series, mysteries I believe, set in the 60's . . . murder and bands and drugs and stuff. They'll be available online, I can't quite remember the specific details but if you scroll back in her blog you can find the info . . . I think they're called the Rennie Stride mysteries or something like that.

jazzhands Guest
    I yanked this from her LJ info;

Announcing The Rennie Stride Mysteries: Turn On, Tune In, Drop Dead.

Later this year, I will be publishing through Lulu.com the first of a series of rocknroll murder mysteries, set in the late Sixties and early Seventies: Ungrateful Dead: Murder at the Fillmore.

They sound good and she's posted a few entries in her Livejournal that seem to be from the book.. Cool stuff!

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by *ech* View Post
    Is it true? Is such a contract even legal?
    If his family signed such a contract, it makes me wonder what, exactly, the "consideration" was.

Contracts are a two-way street: the person signing the contract has to get something out of it, too (known as "consideration,"). Usually the consideration is money or property, but the idea is that both parties somehow benefit from the agreement.

Granted, sometimes the consideration can be something purely token (i.e. $1). But someone signing a contract that says they won't talk in public about the circumstances surrounding a rock star's death makes me think that some sort of Whopping Big Payoff was involved.

Did the people who signed the contract claim that they were coerced into doing so? If so, that would put a very different face on it.

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    To correct a couple of misconceptions in this thread:

Jim Morrison is buried in the lower section of The Poets' Corner" of the famous Père Lachaise cemetery in eastern Paris. In the past, riots, litter, graffiti, and cannabis were all part of the experience at the grave. However well-publicized complaints by numerous families surrounding the Morrison grave fueled rumors that Morrison's remains would be forcibly relocated when the 30-year lease to his plot expired. Parisian authorities, however, have denied any such intention. In 1993, his parents visited the site and made arrangements with a cleaning company to have the graffiti removed from the nearby tombstones and keep it well maintained in the future.

Second, even if they wanted, you could not exhume Jim's remains because there is nothing left. Pam paid for the cheapest pine coffin in the cheapest part of the cemetery. Poet's Corner is where most of the water drains-off in the cemetery turning it into a swamp at times. Cheap coffin + sewage = decay.

Finally Morrison's gravestone has a Greek inscription that is more correctly translated as "True to his own spirit" and is the meaning intended by the Morrison family when the inscription was selected. It was Morrison's father who either selected the phrase or drafted it himself.

Yesterday I watched the video, "The Doors - Live in Europe 1968". Pretty cool concert footage, and at the very end, it shows the band partying at Jim's grave at the cemetary with a bunch of fans. I think the video was made in 1988 and was show on HBO back then.