Thread: George Segal 1933-2021

George Segal 1933-2021

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	329F6081-84BD-46EE-94D7-107CF2611D5E.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	55145

GEORGE SEGAL has died at age 87.

Title changed to reflect the proper year.

George was great and in too many of my favorite roles to name, but the list includes everything from Where's Papa to The Goldbergs. I don't remember ever hearing a bad word about him either.

He was fantastic in so many films, too many to name. The Owl And The Pussycat is a favorite, and he was great in Just Shoot Me. RIP.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    He was fantastic in so many films, too many to name. The Owl And The Pussycat is a favorite, and he was great in Just Shoot Me. RIP.
    So true. His role as the 'baby daddy' in Look Who's Talking was brilliant. It was one of the films I always watched when we had days off school or just wanted to chill on the couch with a duvet and endless supply of snacks. Most recently, I loved him in The Goldbergs and can honestly say, it's gonna be weird watching it now without Pops turning up with some advice for Adam.

RIP.

I always enjoyed his work. He was very funny in "Just Shoot Me."
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    So true, sorry to hear about his death.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Fun with Dick and Jane and Ship of Fools both come to mind for me. Youtube has a few clips of George and Elizabeth Ashley (filmed separately) reminiscing about the making of Fools. Those interviews may be part of a Fools DVD. If it is, I'll definitely buy it. I think this leaves Ashley and BarBara Luna as the only surviving cast members from Fools.

I found it distracting that Fools was a period film that had its female characters coiffed and garbed in 1960's fashions, especially Ashley's character. In the opening moments, Ashley is walking in clingy capri-type slacks, which were not a part of 1932-33 fashions for ladies. Dietrich, Harlow and Hepburn all wore slacks but they had wide, loose pant legs. To me that's almost as distracting as the cheezy Hollywood Bible movies that feature polyester togas and linoleum floors.

And for anyone who's seen Fools and The Honeymooners, the ship's captain is played by none other than the Kramden's bachelor neighbor, Carlos - who teaches Alice, Trixie et al how to Mambo! First time I realized who he was I laughed, thinking of an angry Ralph telling Alice "My Grandmother never did the mambo!!"

I have Ship Of Fools on Blu-ray. It came as a double feature, the other film being Lilith. Neither film has extra content. Ship was released on it's own in the UK with plenty of extras. Maybe those interviews are from that version. It is an interesting film with a top notch cast, I hope The Criterion Collection adds it to their catalogue one day.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51R4biUvkvL._AC_SX342_.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	55170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71qhJ4ldYRL._SL1300_.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	55171
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I thought 'Rollercoaster' was pretty cool when I saw it. I was about 10.
    - Chris