Thread: Dawn Wells. 1938-2020

Dawn Wells. 1938-2020

Dawn Wells best remembered for her role of Mary Ann on GiLLiGAN’S ISLAND has died of a Covid-19 related illness.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Dawn Wells, Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island - RIP

RIP Dawn Wells (October 18, 1938 – December 30, 2020). TMZ reporting she had COVID.

Dawn Wells Dies Of Covid-19: Mary Ann On ‘Gilligan’s Island’

I loved Gilligan's Island when I was a kid MaryAnn was my favorite for sure. RIP Dawn Wells

Dawn Wells Dead: ‘Gilligan’s Island’ Star Dies From Covid Compilations At 82 – Deadline

Wow, this is a bummer. Only one left.

Shit. I personally hold Tina Louise/Ginger responsible! No reason.. Just do.

I met her in 2016. She was very nice. Is it okay that I post a photograph of me with her?
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Right now I'm doing the Florida Evans "damn, damn, DAMN!" speech. So sad that her final years were plagued with financial problems. Her friends organized a GoFundMe and had a yard sale of her items .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDWtuFlvmFw

She sadly remarked to a friend that she "thought I made the right decisions financially" for her old age. Divorced decades ago, no children--she knew she had no one to take care of her.

Gilbert Gottfried and Frank Santopadre interviewed Dawn in the fall of 2016 for their podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOw-K43Kgc8

Dawn will be buried with her mother in Nevada:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...501/dawn-wells

Dave, that is sad indeed and by all accounts she was a lovely human being. What you saw was what you got. Aside from Gilligan & the Skipper, the was always the standout to me amongst a remarkable cast and the fact that 50 years after the show ended we're still talking about her shows what a special person she was in so many peoples memories. Rest well Dawn.
    There's something happening here, what is is ain't exactly clear.

This is very sad. She was such a beautiful person inside and out. RIP Dawn.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    Shit. I personally hold Tina Louise/Ginger responsible! No reason.. Just do.
    Sad to hear about the death of Dawn Wells, but Tina Louise/Ginger was the cute girl on the island.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	266.0 KB 
ID:	55104
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Sad to hear about the death of Dawn Wells, but Tina Louise/Ginger was the cute girl on the island.

Oh Noelle that's so great !!!
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

That was very nice from Tina.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle1966 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	266.0 KB 
ID:	55104
    This is a nice photo.

That is a lovely photo !
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

She was very nice. She talked a lot. She and I talked about not having children, but we wanted them.

Ended life in a retirement home for actors and actresses, penniless, with nothing to show for her life's work.
    She was hot as heck on G.I., but the male cast were all very nice men or low on testosterone.

Sad. RIP pretty lady.

Great photo Noelle1966.

I honestly thought that Dawn had prepared for her retirement. I guess it was otherwise.

T
    I honestly thought that Dawn had prepared for her retirement. I guess it was otherwise.
    Thank You for saying this, I so agree I;m sure she did.

I certainly do not believe that she has nothing to show for her life. The world loved her and she was so very nice to me. She did a lot of good things. <3

I read she lost a good portion of her savings due to the 2008 crash, I don't think she was as penniless and destitute as the media is portraying her. That's just wrong .

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gi...ale-2018-09-06

From what I’ve read about her financial situation during her final years, she did plan for her future. Like so many of us, l’homme propose et Dieu dispose. In her own words from the article in the link above:

I don’t know how this happened. I thought I was taking all the proper steps to ensure my golden years. Now, here I am, no family, no husband, no kids and no money. I’m grateful that God has given me so many friends and fans who care, or it would all be too ...overwhelming.

In addition to $180,000 in medical bills due to an accident that resulted in life-threatening surgery, she had the IRS chasing after her (much like Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Judy Garland et al).

The yard sale itself is heartbreaking to watch, so many personal items such as books, clothes etc. being sold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDWtuFlvmFw

Apparently few items were off-limits, her home/clothes/decor are modest. The vintage TV City Hollywood jacket @ 5:55 is way cool IMO. The neatly-organized stacks of photos were doubtless her inventory for when she’d attend celebrity autograph conventions.

I had read at one time that she was the only one who actually made something out of the series, but I am not so sure. It would be totally heartbreaking that things happen like that. She sure looked very well put together when I saw her. She did a lot of nice things for people. I am glad that she will be remembered.

I had read at one time that she was the only one who actually made something out of the series, but I am not so sure.

I don't believe any of the cast made a lot of $ during the series, or even as a result of their connection to the show. Natalie Schafer bequeathed between $1,500,000 and $2,000,000 to the Lillian Booth Actors Home. But she worked (according to IMDB) in movies/TV from 1930 to 1990 and her list of stage appearances is staggering. She WORKED!! She invested wisely, real estate in particular. That seemed the way to go - invest in real estate like Ben Turpin, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Garbo and the three Talmadge sisters of the silent-film fame.

Forget where I read it, but Tina Louise named her fee to return for the Gilligan's Island remake and Sherwood Schwartz gave her the usual bullshit: we don't have that kind of money etc. Her reply was something along the lines of "But I want a nice house, too". Basically, she knew that Schwartz (and who knows who else other than the cast) would make a lot of money from the remake. You don't want to pay me what I want this time, find someone else to play Ginger.

Fred Gwynne had the same attitude when the Munsters remake was offered to him. He instructed his agent to ask for a huge amount of money. His agent told him he doubted the producers would pay him what he asked for. Fred told him, "That's the beauty of it - I don't care".

I read the book by Russell Johnson, the professor. He said that basically Natalie did have a lot of money and basically Gilligan's Island was a paycheck for the actors. Natalie joined the show because she wanted to go to Hawaii. Interestingly enough, Raquel Welch tried out for Maryann. Dawn Wells saw her and thought, "that's it. There goes the job for me." However, Dawn was chosen.

I also read something about Fred Gwynne. He didn't want to be Herman Munster again. His wife told him to ask for a ridiculous amount of money and they would turn him down. He did that and they still offered him the job. I don't know where I read that, but it seems as if they really wanted him.

RIP Mary Ann/Dawn Wells

I read the book by Russell Johnson, the professor. He said that basically Natalie did have a lot of money and basically Gilligan's Island was a paycheck for the actors. Natalie joined the show because she wanted to go to Hawaii. Interestingly enough, Raquel Welch tried out for Maryann. Dawn Wells saw her and thought, "that's it. There goes the job for me." However, Dawn was chosen.

I also read something about Fred Gwynne. He didn't want to be Herman Munster again. His wife told him to ask for a ridiculous amount of money and they would turn him down. He did that and they still offered him the job. I don't know where I read that, but it seems as if they really wanted him.
    As a fan of American sitcoms would love to read about this.

theotherlondon, let me find the name of the book for you. I have it on my bookshelf. Maybe it is in your nearby library.

theotherlondon, let me find the name of the book for you. I have it on my bookshelf. Maybe it is in your nearby library.
    Cool.(and thank you)

Theotherlondon - the book is "Here on Gilligan's Isle." It is written by Russell Johnson. Very interesting insight to behind the scenes on the show.