Thread: Pope Endorses Civil Union Laws

Pope Endorses Civil Union Laws

For same-sex couples:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/21/europ...ntl/index.html

Now if he can just water down that whole "thou shalt not..." sequence we'll be on a roll.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Wonder how he'll respond to this update?

Thou shalt not deploy a seed to send for foe or friend,
    Fearing thine employ at CNN shall see an end.

I heard this earlier on NPR. I'm glad it finally happened. Yay!

But does it signal a change in the stance of the church on homosexuality?
    If "the Church" advocates for inclusion of same-sex couples in civil law, doesn't that imply recognition or acceptance of the legitimacy of same-sex relationships in the eyes of the church?

about time.

6. 10-25-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    about time.
    I so agree.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I saw where Franklin Graham wasn't too happy. Funny how Franklin thought that Trump's relationship with Stormy was no one's business but somehow what two others adults not hurting anyone is.

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    I saw where Franklin Graham wasn't too happy. Funny how Franklin thought that Trump's relationship with Stormy was no one's business but somehow what two others adults not hurting anyone is.
    Those two other adults are involved in a carnal, sinful, relationship that will have them consigned to hell.
    Trump and Stormy, that was just a business arrangement and we all know that business can make for strange bedfellows.
    Literally.

“Individuals with same-sex attraction are beloved children of God and must have their personal human rights and civil rights recognized and protected by law. However, the legalization of their civil unions, which seek to simulate holy matrimony, is not admissible.” - Bishop Thomas Tobin, Providence RI.

I guess the good Bishop was absent from seminary the day they covered Leviticus, a live-action movie of which could only be pulled off by Tarantino.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Those two other adults are involved in a carnal, sinful, relationship that will have them consigned to hell.
    Trump and Stormy, that was just a business arrangement and we all know that business can make for strange bedfellows.
    Literally.

“Individuals with same-sex attraction are beloved children of God and must have their personal human rights and civil rights recognized and protected by law. However, the legalization of their civil unions, which seek to simulate holy matrimony, is not admissible.” - Bishop Thomas Tobin, Providence RI.

I guess the good Bishop was absent from seminary the day they covered Leviticus, a live-action movie of which could only be pulled off by Tarantino.
    Jesus replaced the old laws of the Old Testament.

Jesus replaced the old laws of the Old Testament.
    Replaced is the wrong word. He knocked out customs like divorcing for any reason and washing hands and food taboos, but He kept the laws, which includes the one forbidding same sex couples, according to the New Testament epistles of the Apostle Paul.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Replaced is the wrong word. He knocked out customs like divorcing for any reason and washing hands and food taboos, but He kept the laws, which includes the one forbidding same sex couples, according to the New Testament epistles of the Apostle Paul.
    Divorce was not a custom. There are far far more scripture on divorce than homosexuality. Jesus said absolutely nothing about homosexuality.

But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except formarital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, andanyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Matthew 5:32

Thanks for the clarification.
    I was recalling something about, "coming not to abolish the law but to fulfill it".

I'm having trouble grasping how the church can advocate for the civil rights of people whose rights are threatened or denied specifically because they are homosexual, while maintaining that homosexuality is a grave sin. That seems a bit contradictory to me, sort of like saying, "I support your right to blaspheme, but we will kill you for doing it".

Divorce was not a custom. There are far far more scripture on divorce than homosexuality. Jesus said absolutely nothing about homosexuality.

But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except formarital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, andanyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Matthew 5:32
    I didn't say Jesus said that. I said the Apostle Paul did, and I stand by it. I was just saying what I know the Bible says about homosexuality from my years of study. If you believe one part of it, you have to believe all of it, or it means nothing. Now, that said, personally, it's none of my business what people do. And it makes no difference in the way I feel about people who have different beliefs than mine. And that's all I'm saying.
    Last edited by cindyt; 10-26-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.
    I was recalling something about, "coming not to abolish the law but to fulfill it".

I'm having trouble grasping how the church can advocate for the civil rights of people whose rights are threatened or denied specifically because they are homosexual, while maintaining that homosexuality is a grave sin. That seems a bit contradictory to me, sort of like saying, "I support your right to blaspheme, but we will kill you for doing it".
    The Bible speaks far more on Adultery. The Bible (even in the new Testament) says that marrying after divorce is adultery. That would be me. If I believe that doesn't doom me to hell I'm certainly not going to condemn others who have less mentioned about them in the Bible.

I didn't say Jesus said that. I said the Apostle Paul did, and I stand by it. I was just saying what I know the Bible says about homosexuality from my years of study. If you believe one part of it, you have to believe all of it, or it means nothing. Now, that said, personally, it's none of my business what people do. And it makes no difference in the way I feel about people who have different beliefs than mine. And that's all I'm saying.
    Then you must believe that every single divorced person who has remarried is committing adultery and are every bit as guilty as homosexuals.

The Bible speaks far more on Adultery. The Bible (even in the new Testament) says that marrying after divorce is adultery. That would be me. If I believe that doesn't doom me to hell I'm certainly not going to condemn others who have less mentioned about them in the Bible.
    I used to work with a guy who seemed to think of himself as an uber-Christian.
    He had been married and divorced I think six or seven times and was a Deacon in his church.
    He seemed to have found a way to dismiss that "husband to one wife" qualification for that position.

Then you must believe that every single divorced person who has remarried is committing adultery and are every bit as guilty as homosexuals.
    I will add -- We here at FAD have a right to our own opinion after all. That said, you were right about divorce being a law, not a tradition. That said, let's agree to disagree on the other stuff and drop it.
    Last edited by cindyt; 10-29-2020 at 06:41 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I will add -- We here at FAD have a right to our own opinion after all. That said, you were right about divorce being a law, not a tradition. That said, let's agree to disagree on the other stuff and drop it.
    You absolutely do.