Thread: Dainiel Prude killing by police, Rochester, NY

Dainiel Prude killing by police, Rochester, NY

The guy was naked so he didn't have a weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4DE...nel=NBCNewYork

Cause of death:

The Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office ruled the cause of death as "complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint due to excited delerium due to acute phencyclidine intoxication."

I believe that's PCP.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

There's always gonna be hardcore drug addicts and career criminals. We can't keep canonizing them as a political opportunity to burn down people's dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Cause of death:

The Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office ruled the cause of death as "complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint due to excited delerium due to acute phencyclidine intoxication."

I believe that's PCP.
    The medical examiner concludedthat Prude’s manner of death was homicide and caused by “complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint,” with excited delirium and intoxication by the drug PCP as contributing factors.

He died of asphyxiation a week after the event.
    Oh, and after self-administering (presumably) an overdose of PCP which is known to cause coma and death; which sort of sounds like what this guy did to himself.

I'm waiting for some cop to get accused (or charged) with murder after some guy dies from a heart attack after receiving a speeding ticket.
    I think we're going to need some laws protecting cops who are doing their jobs from this sort of stupidity that also allow for criminal penalties for those who accuse them of wrong doing when there was none.

Thugs die of drug overdoses while being arrested - murder by cop.
    Thugs get shot while violently resisting arrest - attempted murder by cop.
    Guys over medicate with their chosen street drug and suffer the known consequences of that - blame the cops who showed up while has was running naked down the street and smashing windows.

I haven't read anything else about this case or this guy yet.
    I wonder how long ago he moved to where he was living in order to get a fresh start?

This guy was no doubt failed by "the system" as the Mayor there points out.
    The family tried to get him admitted to a facility for mental health care, but he was sent back out to fend for himself.

I still don't think the cops did anything wrong, and I think it's nuts to allege that there was wrong doing or murder here, but that will get sorted out.
    I also think that by the time the cops intervened, it was probably too late for the guy due to the PCP poisoning, but maybe with immediate care he could have been saved.

Now the Mayor is saying that calls like this shouldn't be answered by the police and that she is shifting that responsibility and the associated budget to other departments.
    Obviously, situations like this might benefit from early involvement by mental health people, but if you send those people out to face a guy with serious mental issues, and those issues are compounded by a toxic dose of hallucinogenic drugs, there needs to be at least a couple of guys there who are capable of physically restraining him. Inability to restrain is going to put the responders at risk.

It appropriate to investigate what the cops did, but I hope that they take a hard look at the mental health people who declined to admit him for treatment.
    Granted, he was probably more lucid before he took the PCP, but his behavior was sufficiently disturbed that his family knew he was in need of help.