Thread: Daisy Coleman, Of Audrie And Daisy

Daisy Coleman, Of Audrie And Daisy

Daisy Coleman, who opened up about her rape ordeal in the Netflix documentary Audrie & Daisy, has died by suicide at the age of 23.
    Coleman took her own life on Tuesday night and her body was discovered after her mother Melinda asked police to do a welfare check.
    Coleman spoke in the 2016 film about how she was plied with alcohol in 2012 and raped in a Missouri house at the age of 14 but no one was ever convicted. Audrie committed suicide ten days after her rape ( the article is incorrect on when she died) https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...82&si=10148768

Last edited by pkstracy; 08-05-2020 at 04:38 PM. Reason: corrected information.

Incredibly sad, it was horrific what happened to those girls.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I agree Mansfield, it happened to me as well, when I was in highschool I got sexually assaulted by one of the football players, popular guy and he said even if I tell no one would believe me and he told people that I consented, and I was called names and teased, thankfully we didn't have Social Media back when I was going to school, So was able to get some peace when I came home from school, but those girls were getting teased and bullied at school and on social media.

Hopefully now, she has the peace she didn't get to have when she was alive.

Just watched “Audrie & Daisy” on Netflix. Shouted at the TV for catharsis, knowing the select men I was addressing couldn’t hear me and even today have not publicly stated any of their responsibility. Fun fact: Daisy was nine when her father drove over a patch of black ice (frozen road) near Albany MO and ended up upside-down, transported to hospital. He didn’t make it. She was in the car with him but survived the crash. The Colemans moved to Maryville MO after this, where the assaults occurred, then back to Albany MO to seek the comfort and fit of their previous hometown community, but the demons were too large, the internet trolling unaffected. Another fun fact: minors at the age of 14 are permitted to consent to sexual acts (statutory rape would not apply). Not one sentence was uttered in the documentary to the effect of whether that age-of-consent deserves revisiting. But the powers-that-be viewed the acts as consensual despite the alcoholic intoxication. Perhaps “no means no” only applies if the person is cognizant enough to form the word “no”.

Nothing actionable came of the rape kit. And where are the videos/photos? To this day they were successfully spread to the students, then deleted untraceably. No justice there. Horrifying.

Daisy battled multiple demons valiantly. She was not only one of two documentary subjects (the other of whom is filmed only in hindsight due to her suicide), she continued to be publicly “available” through creating SafeBAE and her tattoo artistry (Daisy is shown tatting semi-colons on people, the icon for those who have tangoed with suicidal ideation but chose to live instead, for the time being). In this way, Daisy demonstrated she was unafraid and moving her life in a positive direction. She kept trying.

People Magazine’s online article states Daisy was being harassed by a man who knew where she lived, had possibly broken in, and had published her number on the internet in fake posts offering her sexual services. Will we learn this man’s name or whether he’s held accountable for his actions? According to her friend, “Every media [outlet] is blaming her suicide on her rape, and not putting any blame on this man for harassing her. She would rather kill herself than let this man kill her.”

In contrast, TMZ’s article doesn’t mention this at all, instead that Daisy essentially evaded help when a wellness check didn’t find reason to hold her. On one hand, her pain and troubles were not her fault. On the other, if her life was in danger from this man, could she not have mentioned it to the authorities conducting the wellness check hours before she shot herself? Maybe Daisy made up her mind that this was the limit of her endurance, and no wellness check/intervention would have changed her course. Her SafeBAE, tattoos, and outward expressions of trying to get her self-ownership back (her body, emotions, sexuality, identity) culminated in her “ownership” of her path, choosing to end her life instead of allowing her life to be made into what it wasn’t, what it was never meant to be.

The People article ends with two help resources: one for sexual assault victims and a suicide hotline. No information on either stalkers or mental health. Who of us can accurately analyze Daisy’s mind and life, or has the right to try? She fought for her outcomes to have meaning: strength for others, safety for others; awareness, comfort. She wanted her pain to have positive meaning, instead of her pain to be solely hers to bear, or her life to be meaningless. A theme of her life seems to be disservice. More than being victimized, she was done one disservice after another. It is remarkable that she lived to the age of 23 under her daily internal pressure combined with the threats of the outside world.

Can one girl change the US culture of underage drinking to excess, varying levels of parental neglect, school and law enforcement authorities issuing balanced public statements of apology and culpability? Impossible; this will happen again. But the light has been shone in a unique and sad way. I only wonder if the Coleman family will file a civil wrongful-death suit, the way Audrie’s family did (and they won).

I hope she is resting in peace, indeed.
    Last edited by MirrorDimly; 08-09-2020 at 06:22 AM.

Been wanting a semicolon tattoo for awhile now and was going to get one when things started shutting down. Daisy tried to kill herself after the rapes, and I think it was the combination of the man harassing her and the rape.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    I agree Mansfield, it happened to me as well, when I was in highschool I got sexually assaulted by one of the football players, popular guy and he said even if I tell no one would believe me and he told people that I consented, and I was called names and teased, thankfully we didn't have Social Media back when I was going to school, So was able to get some peace when I came home from school, but those girls were getting teased and bullied at school and on social media.
    Sorry this awful thing happened to you.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Me too, pks.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Thanks London

Melinda Coleman, Daisy's mother took her life on December 6th

Melinda Coleman, mother of sexual assault survivor Daisy Coleman, has died by suicide .

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/obituaries/melinda-coleman-mother-daisy-coleman-dies-suicide-4-months-after-n1250287

Also Daisy's brother, Tristan died in 218 in a car accident, Melinda was also in the car.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 12-14-2020 at 07:10 AM.