Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mayor George Moscone & Harvey Milk

Sam Guest
    I just did some more research on Anita Bryant and apparently everything she's touched in the past 30 years has turned to shit. GOOD!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Hate breeds nothing good.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I just did some more research on Anita Bryant and apparently everything she's touched in the past 30 years has turned to shit. GOOD!
    Shit begets shit. Bitch from hell.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Here you go. Taken from the documentary "The Times of Harvey Milk." It was stunning, I've never forgotten it either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohd2txsNf0o
    That is amazing how she takes a breath before naming the suspect.

I am finally going to rent it on demand tonight and am looking forward to it. I was so happy when Sean won the Oscar.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    That is amazing how she takes a breath before naming the suspect.

I am finally going to rent it on demand tonight and am looking forward to it. I was so happy when Sean won the Oscar.
    We watched it for the 2nd time last night. It really is an amazing film. I like the fact that the filmmakers didn't try to 'clean up' his personal life, which was messy and problematic. He was human, but a natural born leader. We've never really stopped missing him here in S.F.
    Enjoy the film Lisa! I know you'll like it.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I just finished watching Milk this afternoon. Fantastic movie. I didn't know a lot about the story before I watched it. Sean Penn was unbelievable as usual. He is one of the best actors we have today. No wonder he won the Oscar. Very, very good.

Forever-27 Guest
    California is about to instutute " Harvey Milk " Day for schools. This will be a school holiday

Its already past the legleslature and is expected to pass the house and be on Arnolds desk soon.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    California is about to instutute " Harvey Milk " Day for schools. This will be a school holiday

Its already past the legleslature and is expected to pass the house and be on Arnolds desk soon.
    Is this ever great news!

I just finally got the chance to watch Milk tonight and let me tell you, that is a helluva good movie, just fantastic.

I had no idea of the whole deal behind Dan White - that guy was off his rocker, and him getting off on manslaughter? What a tragedy.

Hey Jack, if you read this what became of Harvey's camera shop? I was sad to see at the end that Scott passed away in 1995.

Sam Guest
    I had no idea of the whole deal behind Dan White - that guy was off his rocker, and him getting off on manslaughter? What a tragedy.
    In 1979 just as I was about to leave for a weekend in Los Angeles, the parents of a guy I was dating called me because he'd just come out to them. His father threatened to shoot me. When I told him he'd go to prison for the rest of his life he said, "They don't do nothin to people for killin queers!" Sadly, he was, and is, sort of right.

lisalouver Guest
    In 1979 just as I was about to leave for a weekend in Los Angeles, the parents of a guy I was dating called me because he'd just come out to them. His father threatened to shoot me. When I told him he'd go to prison for the rest of his life he said, "They don't do nothin to people for killin queers!" Sadly, he was, and is, sort of right.
    What a terrible story Sam.

I really was pissed off when I read up on White. I knew the whole Twinkie Defense and all, but you know what a crying shame what happened there with the manslaughter verdict.

Most people on here know I am against the DP, but at the very minimum Dan White should have spent the rest of his life in prison. I'm not srprised he killed himself, he obviously was a sick, sad person.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I think HAIGHT got a very bad name bedcause of the way people did drugs and it also became a great place for a murder. It is a nice place today as they cleaned it up after the love genration got done with it. There is soooo much history there and we went on the ghost tour last year and the houses are selling for millions of dollars there now . Even with the history there I would never live in SF again or work there again.

Sam Guest
    What a terrible story Sam.

I really was pissed off when I read up on White. I knew the whole Twinkie Defense and all, but you know what a crying shame what happened there with the manslaughter verdict.

Most people on here know I am against the DP, but at the very minimum Dan White should have spent the rest of his life in prison. I'm not srprised he killed himself, he obviously was a sick, sad person.
    I personally think Dan White was a closet homosexual, which Shawn Penn mentioned in the movie. Somehow it's just unthinkable for some men to "Come Out" and as hard as it is to be Gay, I think it's much harder for the men who are Gay and won't admit it, no matter what.

Forever-27 Guest
    Is this ever great news!

I just finally got the chance to watch Milk tonight and let me tell you, that is a helluva good movie, just fantastic.

Hey Jack, if you read this what became of Harvey's camera shop? I was sad to see at the end that Scott passed away in 1995.

Im somewhat undecided about how I feel about making this a holiday. Harvey Milk Gay Day as a school holiday just seems weird. Sure Milk was a gay but what did he do to actually get a day named in his honor? He wasnt a San Francisco city supervisor for all that long and I think if I remember right he pushed for a pooper scooper law for city parks. I dont see how this would warrant a Gay Day for Milk. Not to piss anybody off here about gays and or lesbians but I dont think this should go through

lisalouver Guest
    I personally think Dan White was a closet homosexual, which Shawn Penn mentioned in the movie. Somehow it's just unthinkable for some men to "Come Out" and as hard as it is to be Gay, I think it's much harder for the men who are Gay and won't admit it, no matter what.
    Yea, I saw that in the movie when Penn mentioned it. It would make more sense than anything else - that was another thing that Milk was shown promoting in the movie. For people to come out....easier said than done in some cases.

I was speaking on the phone 2 nights ago with one of my male friends who happens to be gay and he and I had lost touch for a few months. I aske him how the love life was going and he went off on a tangent about how everyone he meets is either a weirdo or still in the closet. Then he yelled in the phone to me "in the closet - in their 40's can you believe it!"

I said yea, actually I can.

Katrinawitch Guest
    Majorly bumping this thread, because I finally caught "Milk" on TV this morning, and loved it. I'm not a huge Sean Penn fan, but man is he talented! He really disappears into a role. Everyone and their brother is in this movie. I spent the whole thing going "Hey, it's that guy!".

Not to downplay Harvey's accomplishments, but he just seemed like a really great guy in general.

35th Anniversary Remembrance of Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk Wednesday, November 27 at 4:45pm San Francisco City Hall will be held by the Harvey Milk Foundation, which was started by his nephew.

Kiersten Guest
    Today is Harvey Milk Day. Since the movie came out years ago, I have researched and really come to love Harvey for the person he was. His death was before my time (I was born in '91), so I hadn't a clue who he was before the film was made.

The candlelight march at the end was beautifully done. The only thing more amazing is watching the real life march and seeing just how many people this man touched in his short political and personal life. Here's a video of it- it kicks in at 3:12

qulevergrrl Guest
    I'm surprised that with all the talk of the political and social impact the killings had on SF as a city, no one has brought up that the killings practically directly led to CA having to tolerate THE laziest senator in office. Barbara Boxer was mentored and supported by Feinstein, who was elected on a sympathy vote, but whose record I and many Californians are happy with. I like Feinstein a lot, even though I'm probably misspelling her name along with the word misspelling. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, DAN WHITE GAVE US BARBARA BOXER, AND BOXER HAS THE WORST VOTING RECORD IN THE SENATE. LAZY ASS B.

gottaqhfilly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    35th Anniversary Remembrance of Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk Wednesday, November 27 at 4:45pm San Francisco City Hall will be held by the Harvey Milk Foundation, which was started by his nephew.
    milk was a homosexual ephebophile and yeah, homosexuals having anal sex right out in public in sodom by the bay is a great leap forward for civilization.

ladytinamarie Guest
    I remember a movie called Milk starring Sean Penn and I thought, what a weird name for a title of a movie. It wasn't until last year while watching one of the shows on ID (love that channel) that Harvey Milk was mentioned so I googled his name and found a documentary about his murder on youtube. I was 8 years old when he and the mayor were assassinated and I don't remember any tv coverage about it. Apparently there wasn't a lot of media coverage outside of the west coast (I'm from Chicago). Weird because not long after the assasinations the People's Temple was ALL over the media (the first dead pics I ever saw was a Chicago Sun Times full page with the pics of the dead Jonestown people).

The more information I got on Harvey Milk and his murder the more I was outraged. He seemed like such a nice man, a business owner and highly courageous. An openly gay man to attain any political office in the late 1970's was a huge deal. Isn't this the guy (White) that claimed the Twinkie defense?

I don't necessarily believed Milk was assassinated because he was gay (IDK what was the deal with White but the guy seemed to have some anger issues even before he ate his Twinkies)....but Milk being a homosexual man did affect the jury, IMO. Such a shame.

White takes guns and ammo and sneaks through a window and its not first degree murder? Morons. IDK the circumstances of White's situation after he got out of prison but good riddance to the a-hole.
    Last edited by ladytinamarie; 05-28-2014 at 08:25 AM.

I am thinking that the murders were over the position on the board rather than Milk being homosexual. It's amazing what an over inflated sense of entitlement will do to a person.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

it just baffles me that gun shots were heard from the mayors office, White then has the time to leave the mayors office, reload, walk down the hall, ask Milk into his office, talk briefly and then fire another few shots and THEN!! get away. What in the fuck was going on that day that nobody could stop this guy from killing a second person or at the very least escaping. I also don't think it was a gay hate crime, he actually planned on killing two other people that day... basically anyone who was responsible for the decision to not let him back in.

Christian group refuses to open mail with Harvey Milk stamps

http://www.mediaite.com/online/chris...ey-milk-stamp/

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I am thinking that the murders were over the position on the board rather than Milk being homosexual. It's amazing what an over inflated sense of entitlement will do to a person.
    Well it sure did put the "Twinkie Defense" into the American lexicon.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Harvey Milk (1930-1978)

Construction of Navy ship ‘Harvey Milk’ begins at San Diego shipbuilder

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...go-shipbuilder
    Last edited by cash; 12-14-2019 at 06:26 PM.

When I first moved here to the area I am in now in San Diego there was a place that was an burger joint that was called Harvey Milk's American Diner. I always wanted to go eat there but sadly it closed in 2014 or 15. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...t16-story.html
    Last edited by pkstracy; 12-17-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    When I first moved here to the area I am in now in San Diego there was a place that was an burger joint that was called Harvey Milk's American Diner. I always wanted to go eat there but sadly it closed in 2014 or 15. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...t16-story.html
    40 years after this great man's death hope people
    will remember him for along time.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 12-17-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.