Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mayor George Moscone & Harvey Milk

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Wow, thanks doves for posting that. I had never heard of this case. I can't believe he wasn't convicted on Murder One. It seems premeditated to me. Only 7 years. For 2 lives. All I can say is wow, I'm dumbstruck.
    Sean Penn is an excellent actor and I'm sure he will get nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe and a SAG etc. He will do a great job in the role.

Lisamarie Guest
    Being a California girl with a flamin brother who lives above the roundup un San Fran..this has always bothered me so much. I this Penn will do a great job! I really think he nailed his personality...he was such a kind man who faught a fight no one else had the courage too before and it killed him..what saddens me is today you can ask people of this generation who he was and they have no clue..both he and his fight should be celebrated!!! Hopefully this movie will help do this....bless his soul.

leeny994 Guest
    On a lighter note--I believe Harvey Milk was the first person in office in the US to enact the Pooper Scooper Laws--and most of the country followed suit.

Showtime did a movie about Dan White and all of this back in 1998 (I think). It was called "Execution of Justice: The Dan White Story". It was actually pretty good and told Dan's side of things - his life and everything.

Thank god I taped it!

Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    He was, according to Time magazine, "the first openly gay man elected to any substantial political office in the history of the planet."[2]
    I dispute this. We had a guy named Don Dunstan who was premier of South Australia for a decade beginning in 1971.

From Wiki..

From 1970 to 1973, more legislation passed through the South Australian Parliament than at any other time before. Workers saw increases in welfare, drinking laws were further liberalised, police powers were restricted, an Ombudsman was created, censorship was liberalised, the education system was overhauled and the public service was gradually increased (doubling in size during the Dunstan era). The dress code for the Parliament was relaxed during this period, and MPs started wearing items such as shorts to proceedings. Dunstan himself caused media frenzy when he arrived at Parliament House dressed in what was described as "flesh-pink hot pants".

Wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Dunstan
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I dispute this. We had a guy named Don Dunstan who was premier of South Australia for a decade beginning in 1971.

From Wiki..

From 1970 to 1973, more legislation passed through the South Australian Parliament than at any other time before. Workers saw increases in welfare, drinking laws were further liberalised, police powers were restricted, an Ombudsman was created, censorship was liberalised, the education system was overhauled and the public service was gradually increased (doubling in size during the Dunstan era). The dress code for the Parliament was relaxed during this period, and MPs started wearing items such as shorts to proceedings. Dunstan himself caused media frenzy when he arrived at Parliament House dressed in what was described as "flesh-pink hot pants".

Wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Dunstan
    I'm not suprised that the info is wrong. Wiki sometimes shoots themselves in their foot...
    Time magazine usally puts its foot in its mouth...

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Showtime did a movie about Dan White and all of this back in 1998 (I think). It was called "Execution of Justice: The Dan White Story". It was actually pretty good and told Dan's side of things - his life and everything.

Thank god I taped it!
    Got that from Amazon about a year ago...
    Tim Daly scared me! He looked just like Danny Boy !

I'm not suprised that the info is wrong. Wiki sometimes shoots themselves in their foot...
    Time magazine usally puts its foot in its mouth...
    heheheh dont worry about it. The hot pants caused quite a stir let me tell you.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Smores Guest
    From Wiki...

Harvey Bernard Milk (22 May 1930 ?? 27 November 1978) was the first openly gay city supervisor of San Francisco, California, and gay rights activist.[1] He was, according to Time magazine, "the first openly gay man elected to any substantial political office in the history of the planet."[2]
    As the "Mayor of Castro Street," he was active during a time of substantial change in San Francisco politics and increasing visibility of gay and lesbian people in American society.[1] He was assassinated in 1978, along with Mayor George Moscone, by recently resigned city supervisor Dan White, making him a LGBT community "martyr".[1] White's relatively mild sentence for the murders led to the White Night Riots, and eventually the abolition of diminished capacity defense in California.

You have to admit, Sean kinda favors him in the clips I've seen...
    Poor sweet Harvey. I met him once, when I was 16.

Continued from Wiki...

On the morning of 27 November 1978, when Moscone was to announce his replacement for Dan White, both he and Supervisor Milk were assassinated by White, who had entered San Francisco City Hall through an unlocked window to avoid detection of his police revolver. After a loud argument, he shot Moscone at close range, reloaded and went down the hall to shoot and kill Milk. White quickly left the scene and met his wife at nearby Saint Mary's Cathedral[26] the principal church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Francisco and within hours he turned himself in at the police station where he was formerly a police officer.[27] Though he had carried a gun, 10 extra rounds, and crawled through a window into City Hall to avoid security's metal detectors, White denied premeditation.
    Thousands from Milk's District and all over the city attended a spontaneous candlelight memorial march from the Castro towards City Hall plaza. Noted speakers included folk singer Joan Baez. (The Internet Archive has video of the vigil, accompanied by a message Milk recorded preemptively "to be played only in the event of [his] death by assassination".) Milk had anticipated the possibility of assassination and had recorded several audio tapes to be played in that event. One of the tapes included his now-famous quote,
    ??If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door.[1]?

[edit] Trial

Dan White's trial, which began four months after the killings, was one of the most closely watched trials in California at that time. During jury selection, defense attorneys had excluded candidates they deemed "remotely pro-gay"[2] and "filled" it instead with "white conservative Catholics, half of them from White??s district".[27] The prosecution claimed that White's motive was revenge. But White's attorney, Douglas Schmidt, claimed that White was a victim of pressure and had been depressed, a state exacerbated by his consuming a large quantity of junk food before the murders; this became known as the "Twinkie defense". Schmidt also told the jury and the press that White carried the ammunition on him out of impulse from his past experience as a police officer.
    Finally, the jury heard what the prosecution hoped would be its most damaging piece of evidence; Dan White's tape-recorded confession which was taped the day after the murders. What was notable about this confession was that the police didn't seem to ask White any questions about the crime and just let him talk. Instead, White tearfully talked of how Moscone and Milk refused to give him his supervisor's job back.
    White was convicted of voluntary manslaughter on the grounds of diminished capacity and sentenced to seven years and eight months with parole.
    White's former campaign manager and business partner, Ray Sloan, suggests that instead of homophobia, White was mostly motivated by revenge for perceived political betrayal.[27]

And let's not forget George Moscone...Though not the reason for the movie, the reason Twinkie Boy may have gone off in the first place

I was like Beatlebaby, never heard of this guy, so thanks for the info.... Sounds like he was a warm and vivacious man.... I don't doubt Penn will do him justice.

dovescry1999 Guest

One Week Later, S.F. went through a tragic loss...

One week after they found what Jim Jones had left in the Jungle, the people of San Francisco, suffered another heartrending blow...

Mayor George Moscone
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...e=gr&GRid=3247

Supervisor Harvey Milk
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=14119653

The Twinkie Boy ?
    Dan White
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...e=gr&GRid=3579

I guess I grew a little then...I was still wondering if a friend of mine had gone to Jonestown (She did...), when we were in school, and they played the news over the PA system. We were told to go home...
    I guess I grew up a little that day. I hated Dan White, for what he had done, more than what Jim Jones had done. See, to me, Jonestown was another place. This was my city, the place I grew up in, had fun in...
    And, I have to admit, I had a great crush on George. Handsome, salt and pepper hair, strong features. Harvey was a cutie, but I didn't know who he was. George was my fantasy...
    And, like dreams, sometime blown away in a cloud, a vapor of fragmented thoughts, they fade, but the best part always stays with you...
    I miss San Francisco sometimes...

Irony?

He's buried in the same cemetary as Congressman Leo J. Ryan...
    Last edited by dovescry1999; 11-15-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: add

pvezz Guest
    I hear ya, girlfriend. Such a sad day. I never knew it was just a week later.

There's a whole thread on Harvey Milk here somewhere...

cherryghost Guest
    Im a pacifist but/therefore...... I get very angry at people who kill those who fight for the fair and just rights of others!

Harrietd Guest
    Has it been thirty years since Jim of the Jungle? No wonder I feel so old. That aside, why is it that they always put the good stuff on the head stone? We should be like the old west - 'this guy was a total loser and Twinker user'. Anybody know what it says on the head stones of those two freaks from Columbine?

RIPWELLSTONE Guest

(Harvey) "Milk" movie

Has anyone seen the movie (Harvey) "Milk"?

I saw it today and it was an incredibly powerful, moving film!
    Please share your thoughts/impressions..

Forever-27 Guest
    great film. Saw it in San Francisco at The castro theater. Sean Penn looks so much like Harvey Milk its amazing
    Last edited by Forever-27; 11-30-2008 at 08:27 PM.

I saw it last week at a preview. It was very well done but I got tired of it about midway through. SEAN PENN was excellent as he usually is (I AM SAM aside ) I thought (that) the best scene was at the end when they recreated the thousands who took part in the candlelight march the night that MILK & MOSCONE were murdered.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

deathybrad Guest
    I want to see it bad.

jeca Guest
    I can't wait until I get a chance to see this.

Nicki Guest
    It starts at our local theater here on Friday. Thanks for your personal review. Can't wait to see it.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    I saw it last week at a preview. It was very well done but I got tired of it about midway through. SEAN PENN was excellent as he usually is (I AM SAM aside ) I thought (that) the best scene was at the end when they recreated the thousands who took part in the candlelight march the night that MILK & MOSCONE were murdered.

I loved I Am Sam. I want to see it too. This weekend.

The "twinkie defense" case. I haven't seen it, but of course studied the case. I'll probably wait until its out on DVD.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

I doubt if it'll be shown here in Texas. I already put it on my Netflix que.

MoonRabbit Guest
    I can hardly wait to see it!

Noreen Guest
    All I've read about it sounds amazing. Sean nails it! Can't wait to see it myself!

RubySlippers Guest
    i want to see it - although i dislike sean penn as a person -A LOT. he is a great actor.

Giada Guest
    I'm pleased to see it getting great reviews and b/o. Penn will gain an Oscar nom and possible nom for best picture.

Eeek ... I can't watch it ...I know I'll cry all the way through

onekindsistah Guest
    I can't wait, maybe I'll go this weekend.

bluesma Guest
    I am going this weekend! I asked my partner and he said Harvey Who? Geeezzz...

RIPWELLSTONE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    I'm pleased to see it getting great reviews and b/o. Penn will gain an Oscar nom and possible nom for best picture.

Eeek ... I can't watch it ...I know I'll cry all the way through
    I thought the same thing going into it.. I did cry at some parts.. Some happy parts and obviously some tragic scene(s)..It was an EXCELLENT movie!!!!

Harvey Milk

He is an interesting figure and is also coming back into the headlines as Sean Penn will be playing him in a feature film called "Milk".

Harvey Bernard Milk (May 22, 1930 ?? November 27, 1978) was an American politician and the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in California, as a member of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. Milk was born and raised in New York where he acknowledged his homosexuality as an adolescent, but chose to pursue sexual relationships with secrecy and discretion well into his adult years. His experience in the counterculture of the 1960s caused him to shed many of his conservative views about individual freedom and the expression of sexuality.
    Milk moved to San Francisco in 1972 and opened a camera store, Castro Camera. Although he had been restless, holding an assortment of jobs and moving frequently, he settled in the Castro District, a neighborhood that was experiencing a mass influx of gay men and lesbians. He felt compelled to run for city supervisor in 1973, though he encountered resistance from the existing gay political establishment. His campaign was compared to theater; he was brash, outspoken, animated, and outrageous, earning media attention and votes, although not enough to be elected. He campaigned again in the next two supervisor elections, dubbing himself the "Mayor of Castro Street". Voters responded enough to warrant his running for the California State Assembly as well. Taking advantage of his growing popularity, he led the gay political movement in fierce battles against anti-gay initiatives. Milk was elected city supervisor in 1977 after San Francisco reorganized its election procedures to choose representatives from neighborhoods rather than through city-wide ballots.
    Milk served almost eleven months as city supervisor and was responsible for passing a stringent gay rights ordinance in San Francisco. On November 27, 1978, Mayor George Moscone and Milk were assassinated by Dan White, another city supervisor who had recently resigned and wanted his job back. Both Milk's election and the events following his assassination demonstrated the liberalization of the population and political conflicts between the city government and a conservative police force.
    Milk has become an icon in San Francisco and "a martyr for gay rights", according to University of San Francisco professor Peter Novak.[1] While established political organizers in the city insisted gays work with liberal politicians and use restraint in reaching their objectives, Milk outspokenly encouraged gays to use their growing power in the city and support each other. His goal was to give hope to disenfranchised gays around the country. In 2002, he was called "the most famous and most significantly open LGBT official ever elected in the United States".[2] Writer John Cloud remarked on his influence, "After he defied the governing class of San Francisco in 1977 to become a member of its board of supervisors, many people??straight and gay??had to adjust to a new reality he embodied: that a gay person could live an honest life and succeed."[3]

I think this is the third thread on Milk now. Please do a search first....

bump

bump

Forever-27 Guest
    LOL theres like 4 threads on Harvey Milk now

Nicki Guest
    Saw the film yesterday. It was great...very well done by the Actors. I think it is Oscar Worthy. Sean Penn did a terrific job, but so did Josh Brolin. I think he should be considered for a Supporting Actor Award. Anybody else see it recently...AND how did you like it?

Seagorath Guest
    A better film is "Chocolate Milk"...starring Seagorath...

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    A better film is "Chocolate Milk"...starring Seagorath...
    Guess I should see that one too!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Finally saw it last night and I'm so glad I did, superb film with an amazing performance by Sean Penn. Josh Brolin also nailed it. By turns incredibly sad and amazingly uplifting--by far the best thing I've seen this year--it has restored my faith in films (well, independent films anyway). BRAVO!
    The Oscar buzz is all with Mickey Rourke this year, and that's a damn shame....I like Mickey and all but his performance doesn't hold a candle to Penn's, imo...oh well. For anyone with any interest in Harvey and his legacy, this is a must-see.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    I agree Jack- Mickey Rourke was pretty good, but Penn's performance in Milk was, of course, transcendent. Penn is the best there is.
    Funny how it's all about the buzz...regardless of who's the better actor or who gave the better performance, if the buzz isn't there you're not going to win.
    ...and the Hollywood dingbats--hypocrites much? A year ago they wouldn't have puked on Mickey Roarke...and now, after one decent performance in 20 years, he's St. Mickey the Great, SURE OSCAR WINNER. Please.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Funny how it's all about the buzz...regardless of who's the better actor or who gave the better performance, if the buzz isn't there you're not going to win.
    ...and the Hollywood dingbats--hypocrites much? A year ago they wouldn't have puked on Mickey Roarke...and now, after one decent performance in 20 years, he's St. Mickey the Great, SURE OSCAR WINNER. Please.
    the golden globes is like the kiddie pool compared to the oscars...the oscars are much more serious and stern, if you will. many of the people nominated are lumped together in a much more tighter pool. i believe the true winner will be revealed then.

this is why although heath got the golden globe, it may not be so for the oscars.

One of THE best films I've seen in a long time. Doubt, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

dovescry1999 Guest
    Finally saw it online this past weekend...
    I applaud the film, and the acting. And, I thank Kleenex for it's product.
    Brought back lots of Memories, especially seeing the news report with Dennis Richmond (Didn't he retire recently over health issues)
    Sean had Milk down...
    But, Brolin is a great actor, and scared me how much he looked like that asshat Dan...
    I'm glad The movie is already being recognized by the Hollywood machine...

kareno Guest

Harvey Milk

I just saw Milk this afternoon. Loved it. I was surprised there was no info on him on FAD. How come?

Grungegirl83 Guest
    I think the movie really did Harvey justice....what a sad sad situation I'm so glad that Harvey's legacy is being brought to the attention of the younger generations

MoonRabbit Guest
    To this day I will NEVER forget Diane Feinstein's announcement on film
    of the murders of Mayor George Moscone and Harvey Milk!
    One of the most dramatic announcements I ever saw or heard!

It is still etched on my mind. Chilling.

I wonder if it is on Utube?

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Here you go. Taken from the documentary "The Times of Harvey Milk." It was stunning, I've never forgotten it either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohd2txsNf0o

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grungegirl83 View Post
    I think the movie really did Harvey justice....what a sad sad situation I'm so glad that Harvey's legacy is being brought to the attention of the younger generations
    I saw the movie last night and only then did I realize how much he did for Gay Rights, what a great man!
    I remember it all happening at the time, but since I was living in Midland, TX. at the time it seemed so far away.
    When I visited Los Angles on two occasions I remember it being a BIG topic of conversation especially when I went in February.
    What I want to know is if there really is such a thing as KARMA what bad things have happened to that BITCH Anita Bryant????

Just found this, maybe there really is KARMA!

In 1998, Miami-Dade county reinstated human rights protections for gays and lesbians. Five years later, the Christian Coalition backed a county-wide effort to repeal the law, but lost, with Bryant offering no public comment. One of Bryant's sons is reportedly gay.
    Last edited by Sam; 03-22-2009 at 08:50 AM.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I just rented the movie and I'm going to watch it today. Can't wait!