Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mayor George Moscone & Harvey Milk

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Theyve turned the Haight into yuppie disneyland. After the flower children came and went, they couldnt give thoes properties away. Real run down. Today any place in the Haight is worth millions of dollars
    Yeah, I have to agree there. The Haight is pretty trashy - nothing but "faux hippies" and druggies hanging out over there. The only redeeming thing there is the Ameoba Record store all the way at the end of the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I read the installments too, every morning before high school!

And about the Tenderloin, even THAT neighborhood is undergoing yet another sea change...the druggies and hookers are disappearing fast, the hood is now largely populated by immigrants and has been, as of the new year, officially (!!!) renamed by the city as "Little Saigon." They've even attached those little flags to all the light poles down there with the new name, I assume so we will all stop calling it the Tenderloin.
    I've got news for them, it'll always be the 'loin to me and everyone else, just like "Monster Park" will always be Candlestick.

They crack me up, just leave stuff alone, you know??!!
    Get out of here - "Little Saigon" - WTF? It'll always be The Tenderloin to me. I had a friend who died out there about 20 years ago. Sadly she was one of those heroin hookers out there.

And Candlestick will always be "The 'Stick" to me. And The Oakland Coliseum - the same. I know that one has gone thru a few name changes also!

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    Yikes sorry Aries that I didn't answer with the answers to some of the other things here! ahh first.. you yunguns! Im so ancient, I tell ya... So Larry Blakes is still around-as is Moe's (handed down to a daugther of Moe's - shes a bitch too like her dad lol) The print mint is still there, though changed ownership when Don (Jenny and Ona-my best friends father) died years ago-what else can I tell you about it and berkeley.. Berkeley, the REAL Berkeley (those of us that have been there awhile, tho I visit it as opposed to living there now) is PEETS, not starbucks.. you will only find tourists or newbies in Starbucks lol. Let me know if anyone has questions! I tell ya, its so nice to have people recognize the importance of Berkeley back in the day.
    I never went to the Print Mint. Larry Blake's is not like it was when I used to go there. It was really dark and dingy back in the 80's - now it's all yuppied out. But it was a great to go for beer and a public restroom after hanging out on Telegraph all day!

Also another place we'd hang out at was The People's Park - altho it's not wise to hang out there after dark. It's mostly a homeless encampment now anyway!

Daphne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I never went to the Print Mint. Larry Blake's is not like it was when I used to go there. It was really dark and dingy back in the 80's - now it's all yuppied out. But it was a great to go for beer and a public restroom after hanging out on Telegraph all day!

Also another place we'd hang out at was The People's Park - altho it's not wise to hang out there after dark. It's mostly a homeless encampment now anyway!

LOL yeah, peoples park is full of human dung and pee.. not a good place to be indeed, but ohhhh the memories!

Daphne Guest
    Yeah, I have to agree there. The Haight is pretty trashy - nothing but "faux hippies" and druggies hanging out over there. The only redeeming thing there is the Ameoba Record store all the way at the end of the street.

OOH for all you SF peoples... in that district there was a hot pink Jimi Hendrix museum - I have not been there for years.. is that still around? If it is Im goin!!

Forever-27 Guest
    in the Haight ... hmm I dunno never knew there was one there. They just had The Summer of Love 40th anniversy concert in Golden Gate Park. Unfourtinately it was on labor day holiday weekend , which Cal-Trans in their infinate wisdom decided to close the Bay Bridge down for 3 days. Thats why I didnt go. I really wanted to tho

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    I just saw "The Times of Harvey Milk" last night. I'm not ashamed to say, I was crying like a baby by the end. Excellent film, take Aries' advice and give it a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenaHandbasket View Post
    I just saw "The Times of Harvey Milk" last night. I'm not ashamed to say, I was crying like a baby by the end. Excellent film, take Aries' advice and give it a watch.
    Thanks for the moving review Helena! It is a really good look at his life and has all the great footage in it after his life and death and all the insanity that hit SF.

Wasn't the candlelight march part great?

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    The march is where I just lost it. It was so moving. I think I may keep it an extra day or so, I want my kids to see it.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    OOH for all you SF peoples... in that district there was a hot pink Jimi Hendrix museum - I have not been there for years.. is that still around? If it is Im goin!!
    ..gosh I don't think it's there Daphne, unless I'm really missing something. Worse yet, I never knew it was there in the first place, sorry I missed it!

Forever-27 Guest
    Hoping someone would know when the release date is slated. I remember they did a casting call to the gay community to come to SF city hall dressed in 70s garb so they could shoot the march scenes a few months ago. Thousands attened.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    MILK

9/30/08: New York Film Festival screening
    11/26/08: Limited release (San Francisco, Los Angeles, NYC only)
    12/5/08: Wide release

It's going to be interesting seeing Sean Penn play Harvey...

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    It's going to be interesting seeing Sean Penn play Harvey...
    I'll tell you one thing, from the pics I've seen from the set, he's got Harvey's look down....it's almost scary!

Forever-27 Guest
    right on jack, I want to watch it when it comes out. I didnt know if it was actually coming together still or what was going on

Seagorath Guest
    The Reverend Jim Jones played a big part in George Moscone becoming Mayor (the Peoples Temple were VERY active in his campaign)...and I think Moscone was the one that appointed Jones to the Housing Authority post...

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    The Reverend Jim Jones played a big part in George Moscone becoming Mayor (the Peoples Temple were VERY active in his campaign)...and I think Moscone was the one that appointed Jones to the Housing Authority post...
    Yeah, George Moscone made several dubious decisions while mayor. Like, um, building a housing project right directly ON Fisherman's Wharf. So for years, tourists waiting at the cable car turnaround were subjected to crack dealers and random gunfire...nice for local businesses. Those projects were finally torn down a few years ago...but they never should have been built there in the first place. The Wharf is just now beginning to fully recover from that nonsense.

Morrissey Guest
    A little bit of useless information...

This 'incident' is referenced in the Dead Kennedys' cover of "I Fought the Law"...

It includes the line "I blew George & Harvey's brains out with my six-gun," as opposed to the original lyric.

Makes sense...the DK's -were-from San Fran.

dovescry1999 Guest
    She did, and she was a good mayor , afterwards Art Agnos took over and the city went to hell
    City went to hell when Frank Jordan took over...
    And, used the POlice Department to get rid of his opponents...
    Frank should have just come out of the closet. It was horrid to see him pretend he and his gay wife were the perfect couple.(reeeechhhh!!!!!!!!!)

Forever-27 Guest
    The warf is a tourist trap. Nothing like waiting outside one of thoes pricy resturants or at the cabelcar turnaround as the homeless come up to you to beg for money. What an impression that makes on out of town tourists. I remember them tearing that down. Nothing was ever mentioned that Moscone had a hand in that.

Actually I thought Art Agnos spelled the beginning of the end as far as San Fran city policies went.

dovescry1999 Guest
    Was it mentioned that Dan White was also involved with the Pier 39 fiasco ?
    Was pissed because he wasn't making enough money selling potatoes...
    Personally, I think Dan White was paid to kill Harvey, and George. They were both helping different parts of San Francisco get the attention, that the PTB didn't want around. I was always under the assumption that Dan , and his creepy looking wife went to Ireland, after the "Suicide"

That jury was as bad as the Rodney King Jury. All this evidence in front of you, and all you can think about is twinkies and donuts !
    Last edited by dovescry1999; 07-06-2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spell check

Forever-27 Guest
    Dan white hateed gays and lesbians. After he got out of prison, he killed himself by way of carbon-monoxide poisoning in a garage. He never left California, but he was banned from ever entering San Francisco again.
    Last edited by Forever-27; 07-06-2008 at 03:15 PM.

dovescry1999 Guest
    Dan white hateed gays and lesbians. After he got out of prison, he killed himself by way of carbon-monoxide poisoning in a garage. He never left California, but he was banned from ever entering San Francisco again.

I don't think I'm really into conspiracy theories, but I'll tell you, like I told my mother:
    Dan White was working for those "Hidden Curtain" people, you know, those in the shadows, when he killed Harvey and George.
    They told him, he would serve a light sentence (Protective Custody while in Prison) and when he was realeased, they staged his suicide.
    I believe that...And yes, I believe in Aliens...George Bush is proof of what happens when Humans and ALFs mix

Cathy J. Guest

Kinda curious..how was it possible to ban White from entering San Francisco? Of course why would he want to come back to that city in the first place after the crimes is beyond me. But still how is it possible to ban anyone from entering a certain city or state?

Forever-27 Guest
    I suppose if any cop or anyone in any authority sees him, hed be escourted out of town

Seagorath Guest
    Wow...San Francisco has had such a "colorful" history...

Nicki Guest
    Dan White did return to the city even though Dianne Feinstien asked him not too.
    OK he went completely of his rock... but his wife Mary Ann from all accounts was a pretty nice lady. My next door neighbors child was one of her students on Treasure island at the School where she taught. She and Dan had Conjugal visits while he was at Soladad Prison. She got pregnant during one of the visits and had a baby boy. If I remember correctly the baby was a Downs Syndrom child and Dan White felt that it was a sign of punishment from God for the crimes he had committed.
    He is the one that committed the crime, not his wife. I think she loved him till the end. What he did was horrific but before he resigned from the Supervisors Job I believe he was fairly well respected. When he resigned....then changed his mind and Mayor Moscone would not reinstated his job....the guy went nuts big time and went after everyone he considered was responsible for his problems at City Hall.
    He is buried in Golden Gate National Cemetery in San Bruno, CA which is also where Rep. Leo Ryan who was assassinated in the JonesTown Massacere is buried .

http://thecastro.net/milk/soledadpage.html
    Last edited by Nicki; 07-07-2008 at 12:23 AM.

Forever-27 Guest
    Ahh ok, I remember Diane Feinstein took the helm as mayor after Moscone was killed. In fact she walked right past dan white just seconds after he killed milk inside city hall.

Forever-27 Guest
    Jack, Just saw the trailer for the movie .... Still cant wait to see it.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I saw the trailer today myself, it looks GOOD! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't mess this one up.

Armcast Guest
    I really look forward to seeing this movie...

I can't find the trailer on the 'net anywhere? Help?

bluebear71 Guest
    I can't find the trailer on the 'net anywhere? Help?
    I have looked and I do not believe a trailer exists as yet.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I saw the trailer when seeing the "X-Files" movie/travesty/thing in the theater. I don't think it's available online yet.

I saw the trailer when seeing the "X-Files" movie/travesty/thing in the theater. I don't think it's available online yet.
    Well someone post it please when it becomes available so I can determine if it's going to be a "rental" or not...thanks!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I'll keep an eye out for ya Aries!

Forever-27 Guest
    Ive been watching YouTube for it myself. If I come across it Ill try to remember to post a link. I saw the trailer just before seeing Mirrors.

dovescry1999 Guest

"Milk" Starring Sean Penn in November !

I know they won't have this movie in my shitty little town, so I will have to wait for the DVD...
    However, being a child of S.F. in the worst time in history (Zodiac, Zebra Killings,Jonestown) This movie is goning bring back some sad, powerful and painful memories...

http://www.milkthemovie.com

I will wait to hear the reviews...
    Maybe sneak a peek at one of those websites that show the movies...

Forever-27 Guest
    This is gonna be kewl. I remember going to the candlelight vigil for Milk and Moscone. My folks went and forced me as a child to go. I think I was around 8 years old at the time.

Looking foreward to the film.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    ...doves I'm gonna be the first in line to see this one, I'll be happy to send you a review PRONTO!

I've lived here all my life, and my bullshit detector is in good working order...I really hope they do right by the facts and tell the real story without the usual Hollywood embellishment.

that was such a terrible almost unbelievable turn of events,very sad indeed...

gemini33 Guest
    I want to see this movie also, but I know the small town I live in won't get it. Waiting on dvd for me.

dovescry1999 Guest
    ...doves I'm gonna be the first in line to see this one, I'll be happy to send you a review PRONTO!

I've lived here all my life, and my bullshit detector is in good working order...I really hope they do right by the facts and tell the real story without the usual Hollywood embellishment.
    Thanks ! I'l be waitng !...
    Aren't they having the premeire at the Castro Theatre ?
    Damn...SOmetimes I wished I was still in S.F.

Even the preview looks great. I thought Sean wouldn't be able to pull it off, but He's the MAN!!!

I remember seeing the documentary :The times of Harvey Milk.
    the trial and the verdict of the murders were just so sad.

The good old "twinkie defense" trial. I'm looking forward to this movie. I hope that Penn does the part justice.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Sorry, I'm a bit out of the loop. What or who is Milk? What is the case about?

dovescry1999 Guest
    From Wiki...

Harvey Bernard Milk (22 May 193027 November 1978) was the first openly gay city supervisor of San Francisco, California, and gay rights activist.[1] He was, according to Time magazine, "the first openly gay man elected to any substantial political office in the history of the planet."[2]
    As the "Mayor of Castro Street," he was active during a time of substantial change in San Francisco politics and increasing visibility of gay and lesbian people in American society.[1] He was assassinated in 1978, along with Mayor George Moscone, by recently resigned city supervisor Dan White, making him a LGBT community "martyr".[1] White's relatively mild sentence for the murders led to the White Night Riots, and eventually the abolition of diminished capacity defense in California.

You have to admit, Sean kinda favors him in the clips I've seen...
    Poor sweet Harvey. I met him once, when I was 16.

Continued from Wiki...

On the morning of 27 November 1978, when Moscone was to announce his replacement for Dan White, both he and Supervisor Milk were assassinated by White, who had entered San Francisco City Hall through an unlocked window to avoid detection of his police revolver. After a loud argument, he shot Moscone at close range, reloaded and went down the hall to shoot and kill Milk. White quickly left the scene and met his wife at nearby Saint Mary's Cathedral[26] the principal church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Francisco and within hours he turned himself in at the police station where he was formerly a police officer.[27] Though he had carried a gun, 10 extra rounds, and crawled through a window into City Hall to avoid security's metal detectors, White denied premeditation.
    Thousands from Milk's District and all over the city attended a spontaneous candlelight memorial march from the Castro towards City Hall plaza. Noted speakers included folk singer Joan Baez. (The Internet Archive has video of the vigil, accompanied by a message Milk recorded preemptively "to be played only in the event of [his] death by assassination".) Milk had anticipated the possibility of assassination and had recorded several audio tapes to be played in that event. One of the tapes included his now-famous quote,
    “If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door.[1]

[edit] Trial

Dan White's trial, which began four months after the killings, was one of the most closely watched trials in California at that time. During jury selection, defense attorneys had excluded candidates they deemed "remotely pro-gay"[2] and "filled" it instead with "white conservative Catholics, half of them from White’s district".[27] The prosecution claimed that White's motive was revenge. But White's attorney, Douglas Schmidt, claimed that White was a victim of pressure and had been depressed, a state exacerbated by his consuming a large quantity of junk food before the murders; this became known as the "Twinkie defense". Schmidt also told the jury and the press that White carried the ammunition on him out of impulse from his past experience as a police officer.
    Finally, the jury heard what the prosecution hoped would be its most damaging piece of evidence; Dan White's tape-recorded confession which was taped the day after the murders. What was notable about this confession was that the police didn't seem to ask White any questions about the crime and just let him talk. Instead, White tearfully talked of how Moscone and Milk refused to give him his supervisor's job back.
    White was convicted of voluntary manslaughter on the grounds of diminished capacity and sentenced to seven years and eight months with parole.
    White's former campaign manager and business partner, Ray Sloan, suggests that instead of homophobia, White was mostly motivated by revenge for perceived political betrayal.[27]

And let's not forget George Moscone...Though not the reason for the movie, the reason Twinkie Boy may have gone off in the first place
    Last edited by dovescry1999; 09-05-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added info

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    Thanks ! I'l be waitng !...
    Aren't they having the premeire at the Castro Theatre ?
    Damn...SOmetimes I wished I was still in S.F.

Even the preview looks great. I thought Sean wouldn't be able to pull it off, but He's the MAN!!!
    I'm sure Sean will do a great job, he's an amazing actor. I sense another Oscar nomination! The premiere is at the Castro, though of course it's sold out.

dovescry1999 Guest
    I'm sure Sean will do a great job, he's an amazing actor. I sense another Oscar nomination! The premiere is at the Castro, though of course it's sold out.
    Damnitt!
    Well, I can got to SFGate.com, and read the news about it.

lisalouver Guest
    I love Penn and I am interested in he movie!

I hope it will be released here, Jack if not, we want details!