Thread: Linda Cristal, 89 "High Chapparal" star

Linda Cristal, 89 "High Chapparal" star

I remember her for her part in The Alamo. I remember that movie primarily because it was the subject of an overblown campaign to win various Oscars (a common practice to increase ticket sales - "It must be good, it won 3 Oscars, Ill go see it"). John Wayne's Oscar ads darkly hinted that not voting for The Alamo was unpatriotic, whereas at least one critic replied that "one can be a patriotic American and still think The Alamo is a mediocre movie." Chill Wills' Oscar ads for himself stated that the cast was praying harder for him to win (Best Supporting Actor) than the defenders of the Alamo prayed for their lives before the battle (!). The ad ended with "win, lose or draw, you're all my cousins and I love you all." Groucho Marx's response was that he was delighted to be Chills' cousin, but that he was voting for Sal Mineo.

Sorry to make this all about The Alamo, but it shows you how being hired for an A-list movie doesn't guarantee it'll enhance your career.
    Just ask Frankie Avalon. He was in that movie also, wearing a skunk-fur hat I believe, and he's better known for his Beach movies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/o...stal-dead.html

I had forgotten her part in the Alamo, but regularly watched The High Chapparel. RIP.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

She lived a good long life. Sorry to hear about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave62 View Post
    I remember her for her part in The Alamo. I remember that movie primarily because it was the subject of an overblown campaign to win various Oscars (a common practice to increase ticket sales - "It must be good, it won 3 Oscars, Ill go see it"). John Wayne's Oscar ads darkly hinted that not voting for The Alamo was unpatriotic, whereas at least one critic replied that "one can be a patriotic American and still think The Alamo is a mediocre movie." Chill Wills' Oscar ads for himself stated that the cast was praying harder for him to win (Best Supporting Actor) than the defenders of the Alamo prayed for their lives before the battle (!). The ad ended with "win, lose or draw, you're all my cousins and I love you all." Groucho Marx's response was that he was delighted to be Chills' cousin, but that he was voting for Sal Mineo.

Sorry to make this all about The Alamo, but it shows you how being hired for an A-list movie doesn't guarantee it'll enhance your career.
    Just ask Frankie Avalon. He was in that movie also, wearing a skunk-fur hat I believe, and he's better known for his Beach movies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/o...stal-dead.html
    Sad to hear about her death.
    But also John Wayne is a big time racist jerk.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.