Thread: Takaya: Lone Wolf of Discovery Islands Shot and Killed

Takaya: Lone Wolf of Discovery Islands Shot and Killed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Takaya was a beautiful sea wolf.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	54980

The wolf – named Takaya (the Lekwungen word for wolf) by the Songhees, a local First Nation whose territory encompasses the islands – quickly became a legendary figure, drawing fans from around the world captivated by stories of the resilience – and tenderness – of the young predator. Tayaka was a rare species of canine known as the coastal or sea wolf. These predators thrive in marine environments and have become adept at living off a diet of salmon, shellfish and seals instead of deer. Fifty years ago, there were few coastal wolves in the region, victims of over hunting and habitat degradation. Today an estimated 250 of them roam the 12,000 sq miles of Vancouver Island, a remarkable turnaround for the embattled predators.

Much of the excitement surrounding Takaya came from the unlikeliness of his journey. Few wolves have ever traversed the heart of Victoria, and the islands Takaya took up residence on were tiny, 10 times smaller than the narrowest known range for a wolf pack in the wild.

Most notably, he arrived alone. Wolves almost always live in nuclear families; two parents and their pups. Occasionally, one will break away to form a new group. But the dangers of hunting – the sharp antlers and stomping hoofs of panicking animals – are often fatal for a lone predator. That Takaya traveled solo – and seemed content to remain alone – added to the myth and excitement.

Link to the Guardian article, Canada Mourns Takaya

Beloved Discovery Island wolf Takaya shot and killed

Wildlife photographer says death is a ‘tragic end’ for an exceptional wolf

A wildlife photographer who tracked the Discovery Island wolf Takaya for seven years says the animal has been killed by hunters.
    Cheryl Alexander said she was sure it was Takaya when learned that a tagged wolf had been shot, and she was certain after learning the ear tag was labeled 1-295.
    After spending about eight years on Discovery Island – an islet off the eastern coast of Greater Victoria – Takaya was spotted around Victoria’s James Bay neighbourhood. The famed wolf was captured Jan. 26 and released in a coastal habitat on the west side of Vancouver Island.

“It’s heartbreaking to find out [Takaya was killed] because I was very excited that he actually seemed to be doing really well after being relocated,” Alexander said. “It can’t have been easy for a wolf of his age to be dumped in a new environment. He spent eight years on [Discovery Island] and all of the sudden he was in a coastal rain forest area.”
    Alexander said Takaya was killed in the wilderness area northwest of Victoria – somewhere between Port Renfrew and Shawnigan Lake.
    “It was exciting that he was surviving, so it’s devastating that his life is ended in this senseless way,” she said. “He wasn’t doing anything wrong, he wasn’t attacking livestock, he was just trying to make his way in the wilderness. To be shot for no reason other than the fact that he was a wolf, is just tragic.”
    Alexander hopes Takaya’s death will trigger reflection on hunting regulations.
    “I hope we can examine our relationship with wild carnivores and our habitat and what we’re doing to destroy it,” she said.

Link to the Victoria News article, Takaya Shot and Killed

If you're interested here's a link to the documentary about Takaya.
    It may only be view able from Canada...

This Youtube clip isn't the CBC documentary, but a shorter video about Takaya with the same photographer and film maker who spent years with him, Cheryl Alexander. Please enjoy and thanks for reading.

If you would like to support the wolves you can do so by visiting the Wolf Awareness website.

Mmm...salmon, shellfish, and seals.
    Sorry...have been watching “Tiger King” episodes all day long-distance with my also-shelter-in-place father. We’ve developed quite the dark and sick sense of humor.
    This is weird but what a life Takaya led, being transplanted into new environments to quickly adapt.
    Senselessly shot. RIP.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

I am also on the train wreck to 'Tiger town' lol.

I was actually thinking how the big cats were almost like big dogs! The same way a bear kind of reminds me of a dog.

Takaya certainly led an amazing life and I'm very grateful we got to share it with him.
    I friggin' cried the first time I saw the documentary about him and now my eyes water every time I write about his death.
    <3

Wow. She loved that wolf. Heartbreaking. Tears.

What an incredible story ! A friend of mine new a guy who owned a wolf, raised it from a pup. I was able to him see when I would visit, such a beautiful and majestic creature who's nature was so docile. Shame on the person who killed Takaya. Senseless.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.