Thread: Estelle Taylor

Guest Guest

Talking Estelle Taylor

Estelle Taylor (May 20, 1894—April 15, 1958) was an American Hollywood actress whose career was most prominent during the silent film era of the 1920s.

Born Estelle Boylan in Wilmington, Delaware, Taylor married a banker while still a teenager. After relocating to Hollywood, she began taking bit parts in films.

Taylor is possibly best recalled for her roles in the 1922 drama Monte Cristo opposite John Gilbert, the enormously successful 1923 Cecil B. DeMille directed The Ten Commandments as Miriam, the sister of Moses, as Lucrezia Borgia in the 1926 Warner Bros.' first feature-length film with synchronized Vitaphone sound effects and musical soundtrack, but without spoken dialogue, Don Juan opposite John Barrymore, Mary Astor and Warner Oland, 1927's New York, opposite Ricardo Cortez and Lois Wilson, 1931's Street Scene with Sylvia Sidney and both the Academy Award winning Cimarron and the Clara Bow talkie, Call Her Savage in 1932.

Taylor married heavyweight boxing champion, Jack Dempsey, in 1925. Estelle never gained the prominence that other actors of the 1920s did. She was supposed to have co-starred in a movie with the enormously popular Rudolph Valentino which would have brought her to widespread fame but he died just before production was to begin.

When she divorced Jack in July, 1933 she walked away with $40,000 in cash as well as 3 of their cars and their $150,000 estate. When a fan came up to her for an autographed picture of her, which had Jack's name on top she allegedly wrote: "This is the last time that son-of-a-bitch will be on top of me."

Taylor was a close friend of Mexican-born actress Lupe Vélez, and on the evening of December 13, 1944 she spent several hours at a restaurant having dinner and drinks with the actress before Vélez returned home and committed suicide. The ensuing press coverage briefly propelled Taylor once again into the headlines.

Taylor's last film appearance was in the 1945 Jean Renoir directed drama The Southerner. In her later years, Taylor devoted her free time to her pets and was the president and founder of the California Pet Owners' Protective League. In 1953, Taylor served on the City Animal Regulation Commission in Los Angeles, California.

Taylor died of cancer in 1958 and was interred in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Hollywood, California.

For her contribution to the motion picture industry, Estelle Taylor was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1620 Vine Street in Hollywood, California.

In a 1983 American made-for-television movie biopic of boxer Jack Dempsey, Estelle Taylor was portrayed by British actress Victoria Tennant.

WoW!! She was a tough one !! Guess being married to a Boxing Champion was a good match !!
    There's more to the truth than just the facts. ~Author Unknown

The story of Lupe Veldez's suicide always makes me sad. It's nice to know she had at least one loyal friend.

I like her, she seems like a very kind person, with spun and personality... and she did play quite som characters too, Lucrezia Borchia and Miriam.. would love to see these films... I´m also always saddened when I think of Lupe Velez, but as you say Vamp, at least she had one good friend
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

glorious!
    pull the string!

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    I like her, she seems like a very kind person, with spun and personality... and she did play quite som characters too, Lucrezia Borchia and Miriam.. would love to see these films... I´m also always saddened when I think of Lupe Velez, but as you say Vamp, at least she had one good friend

She was SO pretty. That hair!

Yeah they just had some alot of class back then...

Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzyann2007 View Post
    WoW!! She was a tough one !! Guess being married to a Boxing Champion was a good match !!
    Hehe nice one

Click images for larger version

Last edited by Northern Lights; 01-30-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Wow. The photo of Estelle with the polka dot scarf is very interesting. Her hair style looks like the style I had in the late 80s.

Interesting to realize that in spite of her relatively young age -- 37/38 -- she played mother-roles to actresses Sylvia Sidney (in Street Scene) and Clara Bow (Call Her the Savage). Also, she was the Eurasian mother of her pal Lupe in Where East Is East. Without revealing too much of the East plot (look for the movie online), Estelle left her hubby (hunter Lon Chaney) to raise their daughter Lupe alone while she vamps it up elsewhere. After Estelle returns, Lupe's love for her mother blinds to her to the truth, the most important truth being her mother's continued attempts to try and seduce the man she knows is Lupe's fiancee !

Estelle was one of those 20's actresses with gorgeous faces and dreamy eyes that we'll never see again, even if you tried to duplicate the make-up techniques of that era, etc.