Thread: Bob Shane

Bob Shane

Last original member of The Kingston Trio died in Phoenix, a week before his 86 birthday. Bob was the solid voice behind most of the Trio's songs, singing lead in the original hit record, "Tom Dooley". Along with friend Dave Guard and Nick Reynold, the three men became the biggest, greatest, pop music folk group in America. Though largely forgotten today, their voices and style inspired everybody from Bob Dylan to John Lennon.
    Bob outlived all the other members of the "original Trio", which included Dave Guard's replacement, John Stewart. He battled alcoholism and heart disease brought on by years of smoking. After the Trio retired in 1967, he tried a solo career but eventually picked up other singers to form another version of the original. He bought the Trio name from his former partners and struck out, making a number of "Trio-esque" records and entertaining thousands. Eventually he completely retired and leased the Kingston Trio name to a rather shoddy group of performers who still work as the most recent incarnation of the famous group.
    Bob was a funny man and a terrific singer, and just a pleasant guy to meet and talk to. He and Dave Guard made amends prior to Guard's death, and parted as friends once again.

RIP, Bob.
    My older sister had some Kingston Trio records - I remember when they were playing Tom Dooley a lot on the radio...
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I was all the time playing Tom Dooley on our stereo. Hollywood even made a move of it, The Legend of Tom Dooley with Michael Landon as Tom. Now the song is threatening to stick in my head. Thanks Jim. You know where the exit is. ROTFL.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I was all the time playing Tom Dooley on our stereo. Hollywood even made a move of it, The Legend of Tom Dooley with Michael Landon as Tom. Now the song is threatening to stick in my head. Thanks Jim. You know where the exit is. ROTFL.
    I'm so sorry and ashamed.
    I could just hang down my head...

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I'm so sorry and ashamed.
    I could just hang down my head...
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

It was a simpler time.
    Millions of mainstream Americans were nuts over a song about murdering women with knives.

Thomas C. Dula (June 22, 1845 – May 1, 1868)[1][2] was a former Confederate soldier who was convicted of murdering Laura Foster. National publicity from newspapers such as The New York Times turned Dula's story into a folk legend. Although Laura was murdered in Wilkes County, North Carolina, Dula was tried, convicted, and hanged in Statesville. Considerable controversy surrounded the case. In subsequent years, a folk song was written (entitled "Tom Dooley", based on the pronunciation in the local dialect), and many oral traditions were passed down, regarding the sensational occurrences surrounding Laura Foster's murder and Dula's subsequent execution.[1][3] The Kingston Trio recorded a hit version of the murder ballad in 1958.[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Dula

Very interesting info, thanks.