Thread: Panamanian cult kills seven

Panamanian cult kills seven

This kind of stuff is still going on.

https://apnews.com/73258c57329e8bdc29b11b31781e29a5

Obviously, I'd say they're seriously crazy.
    But I have to ask anybody who will answer (if anybody will answer):

If it can be accepted that God exists and has ever communicated directly to any mortal men, how can we dismiss their claims of divine directive in those killings?
    By what sign can we distinguish prophets from psychopaths?

I wouldn't think it because their claims are crazy or unbelievable by comparison, or that it's because they lack the credibility or credentials that others possess when making such claims.

Maybe God did tell them to do that.
    Maybe God did speak to Jim Jones and to David Koresh and to the guy who decapitated a fellow bus passenger in Canada under divine orders.

Or maybe anybody who claims to hear voices in their heads telling them things, and who attributes those voices to an all powerful, invisible deity who could just will the act done without human help - even retroactively - should be dismissed as a psychopath in need of help and supervision.

How can one making incredible claims be accepted as credible, while another making incredible claims is dismissed as incredible or crazy, when they have the same proof?
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

When a religious leader goes against what the Bible says, he is a false prophet and his religion a cult. The Ten Commandments clearly say "Thou shalt not kill." God will never tell someone to kill in his name. Part of his law does include capital punishment, but this is a whole other ballgame than just up and killing someone and saying God ordered it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Thanks for that.

I'm thinking of passages in the Bible where God specifically instructs his followers to kill - even down to killing women and infants; and even the livestock - to leave no living thing. Deuteronomy and Leviticus, I think - I'll have to look; it's been a while.

Maybe that was God using followers to effect capital punishment.

That's right. And if you read the whole lot of those books, you will see why He ordered that. I could write a thesis on it. There was a reason, though it may be hard for some to understand. That's all I have to say about it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Thanks - I will have to reread.
    That's the type of philosophical question I struggle with:
    We can accept that God told Joshua to kill everything right down to infants and livestock, and that his killing of them was right and righteous, but we dismiss immediately the possibility that these guys in Panama received the same kind of divine directive.
    I have difficulty reconciling how we know that one is true and the other false when the claims (to me) seem pretty similar.

At any rate, I've read a few more reports about this thing - I had a feeling that the religion these guys practice might incorporate some kind of ritual drug use, so far I haven't seen any mention of that.