Thread: Texas Church Shooting caught on camera

Texas Church Shooting caught on camera

some people are celebrating this because the guy was shot by a parishioner. it is just a sign of how bad things have gotten down south.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LflruqEMlVU

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    some people are celebrating this because the guy was shot by a parishioner. it is just a sign of how bad things have gotten down south.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LflruqEMlVU
    I'm down south - seems OK to me.
    I've traveled all over and like to visit other places but I don't care to live anywhere else.

It really is true that when seconds count, the cops are just minutes away - I'm glad those people took the reasonable precaution of being ready to defend themselves.
    They didn't so much need the cops as the coroner.

I still haven't heard what might have motivated the shooter, besides just being batshit crazy as you have to be in order to attack people like that.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

The shooter seemed so...casual. Didn’t leave a manifesto or a bunch of clues, which makes it seem this could happen at any church, every Sunday.
    If the cops had taken 5 minutes to arrive, after the shooting started, I bet he would’ve taken out many more than 2 people.
    Wonder when the first “mistaken identity/hero wannabe” shooting will occur. Probably more prone to occur in a store or movie theater, than a church or synagogue. Just...sad.

It’s tricky with churches because everyone should be permitted to enter without judgment. (This particular guy was notably and immediately very suspicious to the congregants...poor Communion Man holding the tray) But there is a difference between judging people and exercising discernment (and caution).
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    The shooter seemed so...casual. Didn’t leave a manifesto or a bunch of clues, which makes it seem this could happen at any church, every Sunday.
    If the cops had taken 5 minutes to arrive, after the shooting started, I bet he would’ve taken out many more than 2 people.
    Wonder when the first “mistaken identity/hero wannabe” shooting will occur. Probably more prone to occur in a store or movie theater, than a church or synagogue. Just...sad.

It’s tricky with churches because everyone should be permitted to enter without judgment. (This particular guy was notably and immediately very suspicious to the congregants...poor Communion Man holding the tray) But there is a difference between judging people and exercising discernment (and caution).
    I just read that he was known to the church.
    They had helped him with food on several occasions but had refused to give him cash.
    They say he would get angry at being refused cash.

He had also apparently been judged mentally unfit to stand trial on charges in OK, and had a significant criminal record:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/minister-...153033552.html

My brother in law mentioned on Christmas day that his church has armed security as well as some armed congregants, and that the church staff is armed as well; including the minister. They recognize that anybody can walk into their midst during services and thought it prudent to be prepared just in case.

Having citizens who are untrained for such things - whether in church, a theater or at the mall - drawing weapons and shooting at an attacker is certainly an undesirable situation, but IMO no doubt much preferable to just waiting for the cops to arrive and hoping for the best.

But like with this guy - a criminal record, known mental issues; when and how do you start assessing whether or not they should be walking around in public?
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I am glad he was stopped. So many more could have been killed.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I just read that he was known to the church.
    They had helped him with food on several occasions but had refused to give him cash.
    They say he would get angry at being refused cash.

He had also apparently been judged mentally unfit to stand trial on charges in OK, and had a significant criminal record:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/minister-...153033552.html
    Thanks for sharing the update, didn’t know he was known to the church (apparently the wig/disguise did throw at least some of them off). So a mentally-ill man received goods but not cash, more than once, from that church; so in his addled, angry brain he felt justified to go in shooting. Yet another level of sad.

Our church hired security in November. The church leadership is very organized and transparent but not creating panic. Turns out most of our area’s churches have been doing this since fall, the new normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    I am glad he was stopped. So many more could have been killed.
    So true, guns in America is crazy.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.