Thread: Dearly Departed Museum closing??

Dearly Departed Museum closing??

I saw something on-line that Scott was going to be closing the museum portion of his store due to costs? Is this true or just a rumor? If so, so glad I got to see it last year and see the Mansfield car!

I hope not ! I would love to see the Mansfield car, for obvious reasons !
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    I hope not ! I would love to see the Mansfield car, for obvious reasons !
    You know, people died in that car; so saying that kind of makes it sound like you have some kind of morbid obsession.
    I don't have a trip to LA in the immediate future, but you can bet that a tour or two and the museum will be at the top of my "must do" list when I am there.

I wonder if you can still see blood and stuff in that car?
    That would be fascinatingly cool.
    If you're into that sort of thing.
    Last edited by JimC; 12-19-2019 at 03:37 AM.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I don't see anything online saying it is closing nor on his website.
    Last edited by cindyt; 12-19-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    You know, people died in that car; so saying that kind of makes it sound like you have some kind of morbid obsession.
    I don't have a trip to LA in the immediate future, but you can bet that a tour or two and the museum will be at the top of my "must do" list when I am there.

I wonder if you can still see blood and stuff in that car?
    That would be fascinatingly cool.
    If you're into that sort of thing.
    Are you ? Lol. Speaking of obsession, I've read many books on Jayne and it has been said that Sam had an obsession with her to the point of imbecility. Left his family, abandoned his promising law career to carry Jayne's wig box, purse, dogs etc. Don't get me wrong I love Jayne but.... she was really hitting the bottle and the skids at that point and not looking her best. I guess love really is blind.
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 12-19-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Well, I didn't know about her drinking. Was the driver drinking, I wonder.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    It was the 60's - drinking while driving was almost mandatory as long as you were experienced enough to manage it without getting your unfiltered Chesterfields soggy in the process, cause chain smoking was required back then too.

I never heard that he was drinking.
    He was a young guy, driving his boss's new car; I kind of doubt that he had been.

I read somewhere that the first cop on the scene tried to administer a field sobriety test, and the kid failed.
    He was unable to maintain his balance while touching his index finger to the tip of his nose, mainly on account of his nose being 250 feet farther up the road from his index finger, cause that's where the truck it was on had stopped. He was able however to touch the back of his head with the front of his head, a remarkable feat under most any other circumstances; but not so much on that particular occasion.

She was drinking heavily according to Jayne Marie. She said her mother and Sam were always in the "bag" and fighting all the time. There is that photo in Hollywood Babylon that show one of her dogs dead next to a couple of bottles. As for the driver, I don't think so, but then again having open bottles in the car.

Yes, I received an email yesterday about the museum closing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On January 1, 2020, Dearly Departed Tours will have been guiding tours in LA for exactly 15 years.

Having our Artifact Museum made my greatest professional dream come true. I am so proud of it. Our relative longevity is down to the hard work of a lot of people who have donated their time, skills and artifacts to make it the success it’s been. We are so grateful for our fantastic staff who care about and celebrate Hollywood and it's weird past. It’s has been an honor to share these pieces of history with people over the past few years.

However -

We realized a few days ago that we very simply cannot afford to keep our museum open. So, we won't.

In the next 6 to 8 weeks, our little club house is closing down.

It’s not the end of Dearly Departed Tours – though we’re not exactly sure how we’ll proceed. We will continue to offer and honor our tours and reservations for the foreseeable future. Our future tour logisitics have yet to be determined.

In the meantime, we shall continue to provide podcasts, social media and our famous Death a Day app for free.

Love,

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	karenblack.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	54902  
    Webmaster
    https://findadeath.com
    https://findadeathforum.com

Thanks for the verification.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Dang.
    I've missed my chance.

I don't suppose there is a narrated walk-through vid of the museum?

Well, here's a video.

GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Josh View Post
    Yes, I received an email yesterday about the museum closing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On January 1, 2020, Dearly Departed Tours will have been guiding tours in LA for exactly 15 years.

Having our Artifact Museum made my greatest professional dream come true. I am so proud of it. Our relative longevity is down to the hard work of a lot of people who have donated their time, skills and artifacts to make it the success it’s been. We are so grateful for our fantastic staff who care about and celebrate Hollywood and it's weird past. It’s has been an honor to share these pieces of history with people over the past few years.

However -

We realized a few days ago that we very simply cannot afford to keep our museum open. So, we won't.

In the next 6 to 8 weeks, our little club house is closing down.

It’s not the end of Dearly Departed Tours – though we’re not exactly sure how we’ll proceed. We will continue to offer and honor our tours and reservations for the foreseeable future. Our future tour logisitics have yet to be determined.

In the meantime, we shall continue to provide podcasts, social media and our famous Death a Day app for free.

Love,

Scott
    That's why it's a good idea to subscribe to the newsletter, folks. Scott's been sending them out frequently lately, and that bit was in the last one...along with the OMG Karen Black picture.

Well, here's a video.

Thank You for this video, I think Jayne Mansfield was great.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Thank You for this video, I think Jayne Mansfield was great.
    You're welcome.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The Find a Death site has just started a Dearly Departed Newsletter Archive for all recent and new newsletters. You can check out the recent, new and future newsletters on the website. Just click the link below.

https://findadeath.com/dearly-depart...etter-archive/
    Webmaster
    https://findadeath.com
    https://findadeathforum.com

Well, here's a video.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    That's why it's a good idea to subscribe to the newsletter, folks. Scott's been sending them out frequently lately, and that bit was in the last one...along with the OMG Karen Black picture.
    The Find a Death site has just started a Dearly Departed Newsletter Archive for all recent and new newsletters. You can check out the recent, new and future newsletters on the website. Just click the link below.

Thanks, all.
    I'm fixing to become the newest subscriber.

Watching that vid, I get a feeling that I could have spent hours in that museum - so much fascinating, historical stuff!

I was in L.A last year (visiting from Australia) but only for two days before heading to New York and time just didn't allow for a visit. If only I'd had a crystal ball I would have made time to have squeezed a tour in as well as a visit to a museum.
    Whatever the future holds for you and your collection Scott, I'm sure it''ll be a bright one and that access to the wonderful history you've gathered will still be available somehow.

Well shit. I’ve been planning a trip to LA for my 40th bday next year specifically to go on a tour. I’ve been planning it for almost 10 years! Hope the tours are still going in a year.

Thanks Josh. Added that to my alarmingly large "Mort" folder.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

21. 06-09-2020, 03:50 PM