Thread: Justice Department Investigates Experiments On The Disabled

Justice Department Investigates Experiments On The Disabled

It reminds me of reports about experiments by the Nazi Dr. Mengele on concentration camp prisoners, except that it's supposedly happening now, and in Iowa.

Federal prosecutors are investigating whether harmful experiments on hydration and sexual arousal were carried out on people at a state-run home for Iowans with disabilities.

The Justice Department investigation of the Glenwood Resource Center in western Iowa, which revived longstanding questions about the care of some of Iowa’s most vulnerable people, comes after years of alarming news about the facility.

WTF?
    And what took so long?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/13/u...periments.html
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Sickening. It reminds me of another scandal like this at an asylum, but the name of the place escapes me.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 12-15-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Sickening. It reminds me of another scandal like this at an asylum, but the name of the place escapes me.
    I'm not sure if it's the same one you are thinking of but I remember watching a documentary on somewhere called Letchworth Village. It was a facility for people with physical and mental disabilities that was exposed in the 70s by a reporter because he was disgusted by how the patients were being treated. Abuse of all kinds took place and it was heartbreaking to hear some of the stories from the patients.

"Out of sight, out of mind." I blame this way of thinking for MANY of the atrocities done to marginalized people through out history. Even to this day.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

I agree, Mel. We recently had a local criminal prosecution of a nursing home conglomerate here for that very reason. Its doors were closed, and the patients moved to better facilities at the conglomerate's expense.

The place has been allowed to reopen since meeting standards, but no one wants to live there. That company is still required to pay its former residents' housing expenses as part of the class action settlement. I'm still floored though because what part of no consent was given for experimental drugs on elderly patients does that company not understand. Assholes.

Thanks for trying shellc, but that's not it. I'm probably going to have to look through old threads to find it because there was a lengthy discussion about it somewhere around here.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 12-16-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Was it this place?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...state-hospital

I read about it not too long ago, it might have been here.
    There were a lot of graves discovered on the grounds.

You know, a lot of these cases are driven by profit - these people are getting paid to do their "experiments".
    That demonstrates greed as well as impatience.

If they would learn to just hold onto their horses for a little while, they could get a nice, fat payday by contracting with the US military to provide subjects for blast test experiments; as you do.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Is that the place Geraldo investigated that one time?

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Is that the place Geraldo investigated that one time?
    Thank you for reminding me of this, in 1972
    he reported about the abuse of patients with intellectual disabilites
    at the Willowbrook state school in NYC.(he won a Peabody award)

But today he works for Fox news...sad.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

You're welcome London the only way I knew about it was a youtube video I saw of Geraldo's documentary, I don't know if it still is but the whole thing is or was on youtube.

I agree, Mel. We recently had a local criminal prosecution of a nursing home conglomerate here for that very reason. Its doors were closed, and the patients moved to better facilities at the conglomerate's expense.

The place has been allowed to reopen since meeting standards, but no one wants to live there. That company is still required to pay its former residents' housing expenses as part of the class action settlement. I'm still floored though because what part of no consent was given for experimental drugs on elderly patients does that company not understand. Assholes.

Thanks for trying shellc, but that's not it. I'm probably going to have to look through old threads to find it because there was a lengthy discussion about it somewhere around here.
    No probs. The horrible thing is there are so many it could be.