Thread: Jerry Fogel ("Mothers in Law")

Jerry Fogel ("Mothers in Law")

The actor who played the young husband on the sitcom The Mothers in Law has died. Kaye Ballard (who was only ten years older than Jerry) played his mother; she died in January. Years ago I read an interview that Eve Arden gave, it was reprinted in one of those vintage-movie magazines. She mentioned that the actor playing either her husband or Kaye's husband left the show and was replaced. The viewers didn't comment, "which was bad, because that meant people weren't watching [the show] or they just didn't care". Either way, it meant low ratings in her opinion. Eve also mentioned that one year she mailed her Christmas cards early - Joan Crawford was on her mailing list. Joan not only sent Eve a Christmas card, she also sent Eve a THANK YOU card for the Christmas card she sent !

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-83-1249608
    Last edited by Dave62; 10-31-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Makes me sad. He was the last one left on the show.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave62 View Post
    The actor who played the young husband on the sitcom The Mothers in Law has died. Kaye Ballard (who was only ten years older than Jerry) played his mother; she died in January. Years ago I read an interview that Eve Arden gave, it was reprinted in one of those vintage-movie magazines. She mentioned that the actor playing either her husband or Kaye's husband left the show and was replaced. The viewers didn't comment, "which was bad, because that meant people weren't watching [the show] or they just didn't care". Either way, it meant low ratings in her opinion. Eve also mentioned that one year she mailed her Christmas cards early - Joan Crawford was on her mailing list. Joan not only sent Eve a Christmas card, she also sent Eve a THANK YOU card for the Christmas card she sent !

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-83-1249608
    I have read that Desi Arnaz had to fire Roger C. Carmel in 1968
    because of his drug problem.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I heard that Roger Carmel asked for a raise and didn't get it. I am not sure what went on there.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

The show was in trouble from the get go. Arnaz asked everyone not to ask for raises or take a cut to keep the show going. Carmel said no per his contract. He was let go. Desi himself was receiving multiple salaries as producer and later as an actor when he wrote himself into the show as recurring performer ! The show was terrible anyway and a comedown for Ballard and especially Eve Arden.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    The show was in trouble from the get go. Arnaz asked everyone not to ask for raises or take a cut to keep the show going. Carmel said no per his contract. He was let go. Desi himself was receiving multiple salaries as producer and later as an actor when he wrote himself into the show as recurring performer ! The show was terrible anyway and a comedown for Ballard and especially Eve Arden.
    And my mother loved it, of course.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Yes, my mother loved it, too.