Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Marvin

mcconk2 Guest
    he was also in the Caine Mutiny

scott69 Guest
    Lee Marvin was soooooo sexxxxxxxxyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

siameseman Guest
    Lee Marvin was a really great actor and he made many great movies. So sad that he was only 63 when he died. RIP Lee.

Vintage_Vixen Guest
    I finally got to see the movie 'The Wild One' this weekend.....Lee Marvin was so cool in it....so young!! He was great as Chino..Johnny's rival. Such a cult classic!!!

NewYorkDoll Guest

jhammer Guest
    ( First time poster but long time fan of FAD )

Lee was also one of my favourite actors. Prime Cut ( which was previously mentioned ), is one of my many favourites, but another great Lee Marvin movie is "Death Hunt" with Charles Bronson, based on the true story of Albert Johnson ( The Rat River Trapper ). Bronson played Albert Johnson, with Lee Marvin as the old RCMP sgt. Greta movie, well worth a watch.

I have enjoyed every movie I've watched with him in it...adding "Raintree County" to the many fine flickers metioned earlier, and I thank him for his service to our country . Rest easy, Marine!
    "Never cut what you can untie"

-Joseph Joubert

Morto Guest

Lee Marvin

I met Lee Marvin in Reno at my friends Italian restaurant and bar back in the early 80s if I remember right.I sat at the bar(there were just us two) it was between lunch and dinner so it was quiet.Finally I asked if I could buy him a drink he was definately a tell it like he felt kinda guy no bullshit.He said "And dont ask me for my autograph,Im having a few drinks and relaxing if you want to talk a bit then fine" to say I was intimidated well I was but after giving him his space and answering a few of his questions he said "Give me a pen" then he signed his autograph and wished me luck in life it was very sincere.He always struck me as that was who he was,sized people up and if you were okay then so was he.RIP Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Morto View Post
    I met Lee Marvin in Reno at my friends Italian restaurant and bar back in the early 80s if I remember right.I sat at the bar(there were just us two) it was between lunch and dinner so it was quiet.Finally I asked if I could buy him a drink he was definately a tell it like he felt kinda guy no bullshit.He said "And dont ask me for my autograph,Im having a few drinks and relaxing if you want to talk a bit then fine" to say I was intimidated well I was but after giving him his space and answering a few of his questions he said "Give me a pen" then he signed his autograph and wished me luck in life it was very sincere.He always struck me as that was who he was,sized people up and if you were okay then so was he.RIP Lee
    Thanks for sharing that, Morto, it must have been a thrill to spend some one on one time with him.
    "Never cut what you can untie"

-Joseph Joubert

really liked him

love him & his movies

No one could have played his part in Dirty Dozen any better. I don't think alot of the actors
    today could or would serve this country. All those "real men" are long gone.
    Last edited by Rebekah; 06-01-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Giada Guest
    The only film I watched with Lee Marvin was Paint Your Wagon. He played a great drunk, and I understand he lived up to the part.

Interesting note .. he was in a relationship with Michele Triola which resulted in the first, "palimony suit." Marvin was less than kind to Triola.

Michele moved on to have a 37 year, happy and successful relationship with Dick Van Dyke.

So much for Marvin ...

bela lugosi Guest
    Lee Marvin was what they call A Mans Man in the UK. Imagine an all day drinking session with the guy. What a charachter one of hollywoods finest and a hellraiser to boot. I never saw a film of his i didnt enjoy.

Morto Guest

Lee Marvin

You know it's funny but he was just like he is in the movies a bit snide and cantankerous but charming as hell all at once.....lol.

bela lugosi Guest
    You know it's funny but he was just like he is in the movies a bit snide and cantankerous but charming as hell all at once.....lol.
    lol they dont make em like him these days, too many glossy boy types

Morto Guest

Lee Marvin

Bela you said it!! He was a macho guy in the real sense like an old Army Sergeant or a Cowboy

bela lugosi Guest
    Bela you said it!! He was a macho guy in the real sense like an old Army Sergeant or a Cowboy
    too true...i still smile when i see his films he reminds me so much of my long lost brother who went in his prime..we loved his films going to see paint your wagon as kids and saw probably most of his stuff together.And close relatives often spoke of him being so like a young lee marvin.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Late in his career he was in a great mystery movie called Murder if Gorky Park. John Hurt was his costar and I saw Marvin interviewed about the movie. He made no pretense of liking or respecting Hurt.
    He referred to him as a "Hair actor" an actor who changed the part in his hair based on the role he was playing. I found that amusing.
    He was a former Marine and my favorite movie he was in was one of my favorite John Wayne movies, Donovan's Reef.
    He was great as the hard drinking, hard fighting ex marine buddy of Wayne. He is sitting there on Christmas morning on the floor of th bar chewing on a cigar playing with the train set he got for Christmas and never looked one bit less manly or silly and yes in the US, the UK or anywhere he was a man's man!
    regards,
    Mary

bela lugosi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Late in his career he was in a great mystery movie called Murder if Gorky Park. John Hurt was his costar and I saw Marvin interviewed about the movie. He made no pretense of liking or respecting Hurt.
    He referred to him as a "Hair actor" an actor who changed the part in his hair based on the role he was playing. I found that amusing.
    He was a former Marine and my favorite movie he was in was one of my favorite John Wayne movies, Donovan's Reef.
    He was great as the hard drinking, hard fighting ex marine buddy of Wayne. He is sitting there on Christmas morning on the floor of th bar chewing on a cigar playing with the train set he got for Christmas and never looked one bit less manly or silly and yes in the US, the UK or anywhere he was a man's man!
    regards,
    Mary
    Hi i loved donovans reef and gorky park too but one i often saw and enjoyed on late night tv was emporer of the north pole, he was brilliant as always,and yes im laughing here just remembering the bar scene with the train set..thanks for reminding me of that.

Years ago, I saw Lee on either Letterman or Carson talking about the time he was in Las Vegas filming "The Professionals". He was staying at a hotel across the street from the Pioneer Hotel with the talking/waving cowboy. He said he and Woody Stroud were drinking and trying to get to sleep but couldn't because of the constant "Howdy Pardner" blaring from the Pioneer cowboy. So he and Woody started shooting arrows at the iconic cowboy to shut it up. I guess cops were called and confiscated the bow and arrows from Lee's room.

I just love those old drinking stories!
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Rebekah View Post
    Does anyone know about his family? I would like to see a picture of his
    kids.

Christopher (b. 1952), and three daughters: Courtenay (b. 1954), Cynthia (b. 1956) and Claudia (b. 1958).

A link to a book by Lee's first wife Betty, which has a few small pictures of them and the kids:

http://bettymarvin.net/book.html

Here's a recent picture of Chris Marvin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chris.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	30711  
    Last edited by Ludigan; 06-04-2011 at 07:49 PM.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bela lugosi View Post
    Hi i loved donovans reef and gorky park too but one i often saw and enjoyed on late night tv was emporer of the north pole, he was brilliant as always,and yes im laughing here just remembering the bar scene with the train set..thanks for reminding me of that.
    Was that the one with earnest Borgnine playing a sadistic railroad bull who is after Marvin who is a hobo> If it is I really liked that one too.
    Ernest Borgnine was chilling as the Rail Road detective.
    I am old enough to remember M Squad and it was a great show. I used to watch it with my Dad. By the way, having not thought of Gorky park for years until I posted last week in this thread sure enough it was on TV this weekend and I DVR'd it to watch later this week. I always consider these little coincidences shout outs from the other side!
    regards,
    Mary

You're thinking of "Emperor of the North Pole" from 1973. Great movie, especially for a railroad buff like me. Spoke to Pierre Jalbert from the TV series, "COMBAT!", about Lee Marvin's appearance in one episode, "Bridge at Chalons." After filming one night, all the principle actors from the series joined Lee for a drink. One drink led to another and with a 6:00 am call, the party broke up early. Lee continued to pound down one drink after another. Everyone of the cast was sure that Lee would show up late and hung over. Much to their suprise, he was in costume, ready to start filming at 6:00 am., sober as a judge!

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
    You're thinking of "Emperor of the North Pole" from 1973. Great movie, especially for a railroad buff like me. Spoke to Pierre Jalbert from the TV series, "COMBAT!", about Lee Marvin's appearance in one episode, "Bridge at Chalons." After filming one night, all the principle actors from the series joined Lee for a drink. One drink led to another and with a 6:00 am call, the party broke up early. Lee continued to pound down one drink after another. Everyone of the cast was sure that Lee would show up late and hung over. Much to their suprise, he was in costume, ready to start filming at 6:00 am., sober as a judge!
    That does not surprise me. I have read the same thing about John Wayne. I guess these guys were functioning alcoholics but in Marvin's case what a fabulous actor.
    Oh wow I loved Cage from Combat, hell I loved Combat period. I am jealous you met him. I bet he had great stories about the cast. Ot's of good actors in that show.
    Regards,
    Mary

Mary, there have been three COMBAT! reunions, the last one was in Las Vegas in 2000, just a week before Rick Jason passed away. The reunion prior, in 1998, was held in L.A., a year before Dick "Littlejohn" Peabody's passing. Jusst meeting the cast and hearing their stories was a treat of a lifetime.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Mary, there have been three COMBAT! reunions, the last one was in Las Vegas in 2000, just a week before Rick Jason passed away. The reunion prior, in 1998, was held in L.A., a year before Dick "Littlejohn" Peabody's passing. Jusst meeting the cast and hearing their stories was a treat of a lifetime.
    Wow lucky you! I had read that Rick Jason took his own life a week after the reunion. Is that true and do you have any idea why? He always had just lovely eyes and eyelashes. He just seemed like a nice guy.
    I also liked Kirby for all his complaining he always showed up and did his job in the platoon.
    regards,
    Mary

Morto Guest
    Mary I understand Rick had a business called the wine warehouse or something of that nature where he stored wines for people that paid for the service but he was losing his business prior to the reunion which created some depression issues.I always wondered why he never did bigger things after Combat

STsFirstmate Guest
    Mary I understand Rick had a business called the wine warehouse or something of that nature where he stored wines for people that paid for the service but he was losing his business prior to the reunion which created some depression issues.I always wondered why he never did bigger things after Combat
    Thank's for the response. I was also surprised he didn't go on to other series or movies.
    regards,
    Mary

Rick Jason had a fairly good career oversees, particularly in Japan. He spoke fluent Japanese. COMBAT! was a huge hit over there and Rick did commercials for various Japanese companies, including Toyota. He gave no hint of depression while at the 2000 reunion. He and I spoke together for quite awhile over cigars and whiskey at the hotel bar. It was a shock to hear of his untimely passing just a week later.

Jack "Kirby" Hogan is a great person, very good to his fans and real gentleman.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Rick Jason had a fairly good career oversees, particularly in Japan. He spoke fluent Japanese. COMBAT! was a huge hit over there and Rick did commercials for various Japanese companies, including Toyota. He gave no hint of depression while at the 2000 reunion. He and I spoke together for quite awhile over cigars and whiskey at the hotel bar. It was a shock to hear of his untimely passing just a week later.

Jack "Kirby" Hogan is a great person, very good to his fans and real gentleman.
    Fluent japanese? Wow who would have thought that!
    It was a great ensemble cast. They always looked bone tired and hungry and cold just as I think real dog faces back in the day looked.
    Vic Morrow in particular looked like he had seen it all and was beyond being shocked by anything.
    regards,
    Mary

When I worked at UMC in Tucson in the 80s we used to see him in the clinic across from our office. We had a solid door with the long skinny window next to the handle and he'd look over and there would be 4-5 faces looking at him thru that little window... he'd kind of chuckle at us. Was sorry to hear when he passed away at another hospital.. They don't make actors like that anymore! RIP...

Town Without Pity Guest
    I can't say I've seen a movie with Lee Marvin that I haven't liked. May he RIP.

It's called the Wine Locker and I wasn't aware there was a possibility of him losing the business around the time of his death.... It's still going strong apparently and his wife Cindy (whom he met in Japan while making all those Toyota commercials and such) still runs it.

I read the reason he committed suicide was because he was diagnosed with some form of terminal cancer around that time and he didn't want to go through all the painful treatments and such. But I've also heard things about him suffering from depression for other reasons....

Anyhow, the Lee Marvin appearance in Combat! was great. When he and Vic face off at certain points in the episode I swear I thought my TV was going to explode with all the testosterone.

Has anyone else heard Steve Rubin and co. are trying to produce a remake of Combat!? It's supposed to come out in 2013, but he's been trying for so many years.... Well, let's say I wish him the best of luck. Lord knows who they'd cast in it.... They don't really make men like Lee, Vic and Rick anymore.

At the Y2K COMBAT! reunion in Los Angeles, Steve Rubin was one of the guest speakers. He was pitching his COMBAT! movie and told the audience that he had Bruce Willis in line to star as Sgt. Saunders. I read over his initial treatment of the movie and wasn't impressed. As I recall, Saunders and the squad are captured by the Germans and, in turn, join forces with them to fight off the German SS forces who are bent on killing all the Allied POW's. The script seemed weak and uninteresting.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Ok if I had to cast it as a movie with contemporary actors, Clooney as the Rick Jason character, or maybe Kurt Russell, Willis would have been an ok Saunders but not weary enough, maybe Dennis Leary, or actually Leary would be great as the Kirby character, Abe Benrubi as Little John and Elias Koteas as Cage. My Dad loved Little John because he was also a BAR man but in the Korean War era. He said the gun and ammo weighed a ton and he was sure they intentionally picked the biggest ( and he said dumbest) guy to hump it along with the rest of the squad.
    The Saunders character is the most important one and I think I am missing th mark with it here.
    Maybe Mickey Rourke, crazy bastard but he can act.
    Regards,
    Mary

Theyidkid Guest
    Here is something I found while researching Arlington National Cemetery which by the
    way has Audie Murphy listed as residing there but not Lee Marvin. That surprised me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Marvin

Toward the bottom under External Links, there are three interviews with Lee. Very interesting
    especially the last one with Outre Magazine.

Toward the end of the article, it tells of his last days and it mentioned he was cremated.
    Also, an upcoming biography is being written by Dwayne Epstein called, "Lee Marvin: Point Blank"
    Hi Rebekah,
    Thanks for the plug on my bio on Lee. GREATLY appreciate it!!!

surf-bat Guest
    No one could have played his part in Dirty Dozen any better. I don't think alot of the actors
    today could or would serve this country. All those "real men" are long gone.
    Mmm, not quite. Charles Durning, a gem of an actor and a peach of a guy, is alive and well and served in WW II

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Ok if I had to cast it as a movie with contemporary actors, Clooney as the Rick Jason character, or maybe Kurt Russell, Willis would have been an ok Saunders but not weary enough, maybe Dennis Leary, or actually Leary would be great as the Kirby character, Abe Benrubi as Little John and Elias Koteas as Cage. My Dad loved Little John because he was also a BAR man but in the Korean War era. He said the gun and ammo weighed a ton and he was sure they intentionally picked the biggest ( and he said dumbest) guy to hump it along with the rest of the squad.
    The Saunders character is the most important one and I think I am missing th mark with it here.
    Maybe Mickey Rourke, crazy bastard but he can act.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Sorry, Mary, but it was Kirby who was the BAR man. Littlejohn toted an M1 garand rifle.

Saddletramp Guest

Cool Lee Marvin

I was wondering why Lee Marvin is not mentioned. He was a mean S.O.B. when provoked. He & my Dad used to drink beer in a little bar in San Deigo Ca, with me in tow. A drunk asked him "how tough are you" too many times. He showed him. Left him bleeding on a shuffleboard game. Sat back down and My Dad and he started talking again. I read someone said he was gay, Hell no. My Dad chased babes all the time. Lee took a babe in the back of the bar. I remember she & he were smiling when they came back. I was only 6 at the time.

Bidmor Guest
    Ain't nobody else could have played Liberty Valance.

Duuude.

radiojane Guest
    I loved him sitting on the floor playing with his trains in Donovan's Reef