Thread: Fresno man dies after competing in taco eating contest

Fresno man dies after competing in taco eating contest

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    All the eating competition things makes me feel ill.
    Just like when they have stuff like:Bottomless brunch
    or bottomless popcorn, bottomless soda...etc.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    All the eating competition things makes me feel ill.
    Just like when they have stuff like:Bottomless brunch
    or bottomless popcorn, bottomless soda...etc.
    Yeah - the idea is pretty nauseating.
    I saw part of some reality show a few years ago that was following some guy around as he pursued his career as...

A professional eater.
    He just went around entering eating contests that had substantial cash awards.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

The stomach can only handle so much food at one time. I mean think about it. Common sense.

I would hate to think my cause of death was eating too many dang tacos.

Got me started thinking...

Ever heard of All Pro Eating?
    No?

Surely then, you've heard of The International Federation of Competitive Eating.

Maybe you're heard of Molly...

Molly Schuyler (born 1979) is an American competitive eater. In 2013, she signed with the competitive eating organization All Pro Eating.[1]

In August 2012, she became the first woman to complete the Stellanator, a food challenge at Stella's Bar and Grill in Bellevue, Nebraska.[2][3] The Stellanator sandwich includes six hamburger patties, six eggs, six pieces of cheese and six pieces of bacon topped with fried onions, jalapeƱos, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, two buns, and mayonnaise.[3]
    In September 2012, she became the first woman to attempt (and to win) Sinful Burger's "Goliath" Challenge in Omaha, Nebraska, 5 pounds (2.3 kg) of food that includes two 1.5 pounds (680 g) hamburgers topped with ten slices of cheese, lettuce, tomato and onions, between two large pieces of Indian fry bread, with a 1 pound (450 g) side of French fries.[3] She set a new record for the Goliath challenge, 17 minutes and three seconds.[3] Sinful Burger thus renamed Randy's Wall (for Randy Santel, who held the previous record for the challenge) to Molly's Wall.[4]

Dangers

The argument that competitive eating can cause weight gain,[17] which may lead to obesity and elevated cholesterol and blood pressure, is common. The potential damage that competitive eating can cause to the human digestive system was the subject of a 2007 study by the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. The study observed professional eater Tim Janus, who ate 36 hot dogs in 10 minutes before doctors intervened. It was concluded that through training, Janus' stomach failed to have normal muscle contractions called peristalsis, a function which transfers food from the stomach down the digestive tract.[18]
    Other medical professionals contend that binge eating can cause stomach perforations in those with ulcers and gulping large quantities of water during training can lead to water intoxication, a condition which dilutes electrolytes in the blood.[19] Gastroparesis, also known as stomach paralysis, is also a concern among those who routinely stretch their stomachs beyond capacity. The condition may lead to the stomach's inability to contract and lose its ability to empty itself. Side effects of gastroparesis include chronic indigestion, nausea and vomiting.[20]

Deaths

In October 2012, a 32-year-old man died while competitively eating live roaches and worms in a contest to win a ball python. An autopsy revealed he choked to death.[21]
    On July 4, 2014, a 47-year-old competitive eater similarly choked to death during a hot dog eating contest.[22]
    At a Sacred Heart University event on April 2, 2017, a 20-year-old female student died as a result of a pancake-eating contest.[23]
    On August 13th, 2019, a 41 year old man died after competing in an amateur taco eating competition at a Fresno Grizzlies baseball game
    Last edited by JimC; 08-15-2019 at 04:28 PM.

“At least he died DOING WHAT HE LOVED.” When is it ever appropriate to make that remark? How ‘bout now?

Molly Schuyler looks “normal” (not obese). What a career path! She gets booked at things like The Great Pumpkin Festival.

That guy died choking on live roaches and worms, in an eating competition, where the prize was a python.
    Wouldn’t the winner of such a competition and prize, be tempted to eat the prize?
    Or maybe the next year’s competition would involve eating one ball python?! And *that* prize would be...
    a wombat?
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

I read that the guy in the story choked to death, seems to be common doing competitive eating.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    I read that the guy in the story choked to death, seems to be common doing competitive eating.
    They should do a study to see if it's just a coincidence or if there is a direct connection (causation) between cramming lots of food into your mouth as fast as you can, and choking.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    They should do a study to see if it's just a coincidence or if there is a direct connection (causation) between cramming lots of food into your mouth as fast as you can, and choking.
    Makes sense there would be a connection. If you cram too much into your mouth some of it can shoot to the back of your throat and down your windpipe.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Makes sense there would be a connection. If you cram too much into your mouth some of it can shoot to the back of your throat and down your windpipe.
    Maybe.
    Food should probably come with warning labels about that.
    Signs should be prominently placed all over the place at restaurants and waitresses should probably go through a safety routine when they seat you - sort of like the ones flight attendants do before the plane takes off.

We need to do more to prevent senseless, tragic choking deaths caused by people cramming huge amounts of food into their mouths as fast as they can in an effort to win cash and prizes and the respect of onlookers.

There are ways to prevent choking deaths caused by food, if in fact it can be proven that food is actually a cause of choking deaths rather than just some coincidental circumstance.