Thread: 842 pound man from 'My 600-lb Life' dead

842 pound man from 'My 600-lb Life' dead

Who da thunk it.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

That headline is solid-gold sad.

That poor man. Some of the comments about him were cold. People just do not understand that overeating is a disorder like any other.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I agree cindy. asshole ppl sit behind computers and talk shit. I'm about 20lbs over and I feel like crud. so i cant imagine all that he went thru.
    I think i've traded drinking to eating junk food :\

I'm the closest to 300 lbs. I've ever been. I'm working on it. You have to make the decision to stop the madness. Late night munching is what gets me. My answer might have sounded mean, but, nobody can expect to get that big and live. Kevin Smith got his big wake up call recently. Debra has vowed to make me lose weight. She told me to sit the hell down twice last night when I started to head for the kitchen.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I'm the closest to 300 lbs. I've ever been. I'm working on it. You have to make the decision to stop the madness. Late night munching is what gets me. My answer might have sounded mean, but, nobody can expect to get that big and live. Kevin Smith got his big wake up call recently. Debra has vowed to make me lose weight. She told me to sit the hell down twice last night when I started to head for the kitchen.
    You weren't being mean. Those people on the comments were being bullies.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    You weren't being mean. Those people on the comments were being bullies.
    I DID get mean. They're insensitive bullies and I wasn't having it. I'm in a similar boat as he was, only about 1/3 of the weight. Like Skully, I'm the closest I've ever been to 300lbs. I'm trying to remedy that. My eating disorder was also triggered by my sexual abuse. I make no secret of the fact that I'm a survivor. But all of the effects are still coming to light.

I gained weight on purpose, so he would stop touching me. It didn't work. I grew up heavy, got married, and two kids later here I am almost 300lbs. I'd been trying to eat healthy and was doing much better until our landlord wouldn't renew our lease in October. We'd been staying with friends until today, and from today on I can begin to go back to the healthier ways of eating.

I have no patience for the online bullies who cry that abuse was "just an excuse." It's NOT "just an excuse." It's a trigger to many addictions. Food, alcohol, drugs. Mine is alcohol, yet I'm not an alcoholic because I was only drinking one to two nights a week NOT 24/7.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Poor guy.
    Imagine that if even an extra 20 or 30 pounds adds stress to your system and might be a health risk, what an extra say; 600 - 700 pounds must do.

When you're that big and keep feeding the size, that's got to be some kind of mental\emotional disorder.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I guess there comes a point where it's actually difficult to combat the weight gain. I'm not exactly a small person, but I do make the effort to exercise at least 3 or 4 times a week out in my garage.

I've built up a good collection of great quality gym equipment over time and I also work from home which makes it a little more accessible, I'm fortunate in that sense.

My friend and colleague at work has recently lost 10 stone in about 6 months. He's been really strict about what he eats and makes sure he walks between 5-10 miles per day. I suppose it's a combination of personal circumstances, motivation, will power and getting the right support to be able to make a positive change.

I can't criticise this poor guy as I'm far from perfect myself. At least he's free of any sadness he might have been going through.
    Last edited by The Killing Floor; 03-03-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    I DID get mean. They're insensitive bullies and I wasn't having it. I'm in a similar boat as he was, only about 1/3 of the weight. Like Skully, I'm the closest I've ever been to 300lbs. I'm trying to remedy that. My eating disorder was also triggered by my sexual abuse. I make no secret of the fact that I'm a survivor. But all of the effects are still coming to light.

I gained weight on purpose, so he would stop touching me. It didn't work. I grew up heavy, got married, and two kids later here I am almost 300lbs. I'd been trying to eat healthy and was doing much better until our landlord wouldn't renew our lease in October. We'd been staying with friends until today, and from today on I can begin to go back to the healthier ways of eating.

I have no patience for the online bullies who cry that abuse was "just an excuse." It's NOT "just an excuse." It's a trigger to many addictions. Food, alcohol, drugs. Mine is alcohol, yet I'm not an alcoholic because I was only drinking one to two nights a week NOT 24/7.
    I think that happens with a lot of ppl who are victims of sexual abuse. I was skinny until I was about 10-11 then I started putting on weight. It wasn't until later on I finally put two and two together and realised I was comfort eating because it was the only thing I could control. I've tried a few times to diet and when my mind is clear, I do well but something always comes along and I screw up. I know it's not healthy but I hardly eat at all now. My problem is I have a thing for cola and that's what keeps my weight up. I've had ppl all my life saying 'You would be a lovely girl if you just lost some weight' or 'It's easy enough to do, you're just lazy'. It's all very well other ppl looking in and commenting but I think until they themselves are in that situation they won't ever understand that in a lot of cases it's just as much a mental issue as a physical one.

As for Robert, it was a good start that he was trying to help himself but I suppose the damage had already been done. What annoys me the most about those trolls is they ignore their own issues but think they have the right to call out others on theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by shellc View Post
    I think that happens with a lot of ppl who are victims of sexual abuse. I was skinny until I was about 10-11 then I started putting on weight. It wasn't until later on I finally put two and two together and realised I was comfort eating because it was the only thing I could control. I've tried a few times to diet and when my mind is clear, I do well but something always comes along and I screw up. I know it's not healthy but I hardly eat at all now. My problem is I have a thing for cola and that's what keeps my weight up. I've had ppl all my life saying 'You would be a lovely girl if you just lost some weight' or 'It's easy enough to do, you're just lazy'. It's all very well other ppl looking in and commenting but I think until they themselves are in that situation they won't ever understand that in a lot of cases it's just as much a mental issue as a physical one.

As for Robert, it was a good start that he was trying to help himself but I suppose the damage had already been done. What annoys me the most about those trolls is they ignore their own issues but think they have the right to call out others on theirs.
    Yep, I go through that "fasting" too. My problem with that is once I fast for 24 hours, I have a REALLY hard time starting to eat again. When I put on the weight, it wasn't comfort eating. It was wishfully thinking that if I got fat, the abuse would stop. That didn't happen. The only thing that stopped it was getting my period.

I hadn't been watching "My 600lb Life," but it is in my Netflix lineup. Unfortunately I won't be watching Netflix over the next three months. I'll explain why in the What Are You Up To Right Now thread.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Quote Originally Posted by Follower View Post
    That headline is solid-gold sad.
    Iâ??ll probably get a warning or eviction notice from my landlady, because I read this and LAUGHED SOOOOO LOUD

For real though, an apt description. Definitely sad.
    And: he died almost four months ago, in November (I guess while the show was mid season or still being filmed). Not sure if thatâ??s par for the course or horrible, but his loved ones probably arenâ??t enjoying the public re-grieving process. Perhaps his passing will inspire others to fight hard for their own health before things get that far along.
    Last edited by MirrorDimly; 03-06-2018 at 07:04 PM.

I watched that episode and was saddened that Robert didn't make it. He and his fiancee seemed truly in love, despite the occasional arguments. Robert really seemed to WANT to make it work. It's a shame the pain pill addiction plus his extremely excessive weight just made his heart give out.

I thought Dr. Now was extremely compassionate with the financee and mother.

There are so many whiners on that show who, while they say they will "do anything" to lose the weight don't follow the plan and then blame the doctor or their families or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Duchess36 View Post
    I watched that episode and was saddened that Robert didn't make it. He and his fiancee seemed truly in love, despite the occasional arguments. Robert really seemed to WANT to make it work. It's a shame the pain pill addiction plus his extremely excessive weight just made his heart give out.

I thought Dr. Now was extremely compassionate with the financee and mother.

There are so many whiners on that show who, while they say they will "do anything" to lose the weight don't follow the plan and then blame the doctor or their families or whatever.
    I watched one long time ago where this guy lost an incredible amount of weight. But he went off the plan and gained a lot back. And was furious at his doctor. SMH.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I watched one long time ago where this guy lost an incredible amount of weight. But he went off the plan and gained a lot back. And was furious at his doctor. SMH.
    His anger was misplaced.
    He should have sued the hell out of Oneida or Betty Crocker or whoever the heck made those weight gaining spoons.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    His anger was misplaced.
    He should have sued the hell out of Oneida or Betty Crocker or whoever the heck made those weight gaining spoons.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Once again have to ask, why do people still
    bring them food?
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Once again have to ask, why do people still
    bring them food?
    And they continue to eat it.
    It must have a drug-like power; you can't be that obese and not know that it's killing you.
    But yeah, there's a lot of enabling going on too - like pretty much 100% of what they eat.

And they continue to eat it.
    It must have a drug-like power; you can't be that obese and not know that it's killing you.
    But yeah, there's a lot of enabling going on too - like pretty much 100% of what they eat.
    It's a disorder, like a drug. Someone who can't get out of bed is being enabled, you're right on the pasta there, JimC. Caregivers may do it because it comforts them as well as the foodie. Or maybe it's some sort of guilt or misguided sympathy.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I am 6 ft 2 and my weight was 230lbs around New Years. So I have been on the treadmill and got it down to 218. Just takes a bit of discipline.

I dropped 60 pounds in about seven months.
    I'm 6'1"; went from about 230 to 170.
    I'm fortunate though - I don't have an eating disorder or metabolic issues or anything else that makes it take more than a manageable amount of discipline and some exercise.

Guys like this have a lot more problems to face than a lack of discipline; I would guess.

I'm fortunate though - I don't have an eating disorder or metabolic issues or anything else that makes it take more than a manageable amount of discipline and some exercise.

Guys like this have a lot more problems to face than a lack of discipline; I would guess.
    170 is a bit on the thin side for 6'1" ??

Exactly.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    170 is a bit on the thin side for 6'1" ??
    170-180 fits my frame well.
    I actually went down to 150 trying to lose that last bit fat around the middle and finally decided that I was getting a little too "skeletal".
    Nothing a little Chinese food and ice cream couldn't fix though.

Bought a cannister of decaf coffee by mistake (same brand but different colored can) and brewed it before noticing what it was, so after a few cups I started to get a headache which went on through the following day when I decided to go buy myself some vein-opening proper caffeinated coffee which fixed the problem after two cups! Moral: Listen to thy bod. Back on topic, what I think most of these obese people could have benefited from was a coach or relative to keep them mentally and physically active, say, walking, hiking, taking boat rides, etc., in a nutshell, responsible companionship, but who am I kidding when Chrissy Metz with her own tv series currently has all of the attention and resources she should need to refrain from gluttony is endangering her health and shortening her life. I say this because it’s painful to see a person with so much talent killing herself.

27. 03-15-2018, 11:00 AM
    Reason
    Spam

I have seen almost every episode of this show and I was sad to see that message. I was struck by the fact that he told his fiancé that night that he was not going to make it. I either talked to or saw a doctor recently that told me that many people somehow know, and when they say they aren't going to make it through the night, they aren't going to. I wonder what he was feeling like. I was most shocked when he tore out his sutchers (how the F do you spell that word? Spell check is giving me nothing, and I've spelled it 5 ways now to no avail. I hope you know what I mean.) to get more pain medicine. It's amazing how much he was taking. Sounds like it was 8m of Dilaudid each dose? I've only been on that in the hospital after surgery and it was .5 - 1mg per dose.

As for their enablers, yes, they could just stop getting them food but they always seem to be scared of the consequences. They don't want to get yelled at, or kicked out, or who knows what else they are afraid of. Seems like many of the husbands on here want their wives to stay big, probably because of their own insecurity. I am sure it's hard to walk away from a family member, but many of them would have no way to do it for themselves if their enabler did leave.

And many of them are unable to walk, whether it's psychological or physical, they are too big to get out of bed.

I don't understand a lot of this, even though I was in the 300s at one point (at 5/ 10", I'm now 136-145). But I can attest that food is just like a drug. When I went on a liquid diet before surgery I could not believe how much anger came out, that I had been stuffing down with food. I remember coming home from work one day after sitting in L.A. traffic and throwing my purse across the room, breaking a lamp when I couldn't eat. Normally I would have stopped and got a few tacos on the way home to deal with it, but when I couldn't it started coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I have seen almost every episode of this show and I was sad to see that message. I was struck by the fact that he told his fiancé that night that he was not going to make it. I either talked to or saw a doctor recently that told me that many people somehow know, and when they say they aren't going to make it through the night, they aren't going to. I wonder what he was feeling like. I was most shocked when he tore out his sutchers (how the F do you spell that word? Spell check is giving me nothing, and I've spelled it 5 ways now to no avail. I hope you know what I mean.) to get more pain medicine. It's amazing how much he was taking. Sounds like it was 8m of Dilaudid each dose? I've only been on that in the hospital after surgery and it was .5 - 1mg per dose.

As for their enablers, yes, they could just stop getting them food but they always seem to be scared of the consequences. They don't want to get yelled at, or kicked out, or who knows what else they are afraid of. Seems like many of the husbands on here want their wives to stay big, probably because of their own insecurity. I am sure it's hard to walk away from a family member, but many of them would have no way to do it for themselves if their enabler did leave.

And many of them are unable to walk, whether it's psychological or physical, they are too big to get out of bed.

I don't understand a lot of this, even though I was in the 300s at one point (at 5/ 10", I'm now 136-145). But I can attest that food is just like a drug. When I went on a liquid diet before surgery I could not believe how much anger came out, that I had been stuffing down with food. I remember coming home from work one day after sitting in L.A. traffic and throwing my purse across the room, breaking a lamp when I couldn't eat. Normally I would have stopped and got a few tacos on the way home to deal with it, but when I couldn't it started coming out.
    Stitches
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

See I was going to write that, but they keep saying the word SOO-chers, I guess maybe it's just a regional thing of how they say it. lol. Thank you, Cindy!

Another thing about this show, and someone else mentioned it, is the people who say they are going to do anything they can to lose the weight and then they don't and they are in such deep denial about what they ate. I'm sorry but who do they think they are fooling? The doctor is not going to believe that they are following his 1200 or whatever calorie a day diet and still gained 30 pounds in a month.

I get overeating, I do. When I was at my heaviest I would often eat 5000 calories a day. It's really almost unbelievable, really. I'd like to think that there would be a point that I would say enough is enough, probably if I had ever become housebound, but it's just so complicated. It IS just like a drug, and unfortunately it's a drug that you can't just stop. One has to eat, so in a way it's even harder to quit than drugs because you can't just remove it from your life!

I love Dr. Now, even though he can be a bit harsh at times, he's just trying to be real. On Reddit they (lovingly) call him Gargamel, (villain from the Smurfs show) and now I get a chuckle every time I see him because he does look like him. I love his accent and it cracks me up how he's adopted "y'all" into his vernacular. It's so cute. Also when he says something is the "moment of 'troot'", or any other word that has a "th" in it that he pronounces with a hard "T" sound. The only thing I really hate about the show is the surgical stuff. I can't watch that and have to turn away.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    See I was going to write that, but they keep saying the word SOO-chers, I guess maybe it's just a regional thing of how they say it. lol. Thank you, Cindy!

Another thing about this show, and someone else mentioned it, is the people who say they are going to do anything they can to lose the weight and then they don't and they are in such deep denial about what they ate. I'm sorry but who do they think they are fooling? The doctor is not going to believe that they are following his 1200 or whatever calorie a day diet and still gained 30 pounds in a month.

I get overeating, I do. When I was at my heaviest I would often eat 5000 calories a day. It's really almost unbelievable, really. I'd like to think that there would be a point that I would say enough is enough, probably if I had ever become housebound, but it's just so complicated. It IS just like a drug, and unfortunately it's a drug that you can't just stop. One has to eat, so in a way it's even harder to quit than drugs because you can't just remove it from your life!

I love Dr. Now, even though he can be a bit harsh at times, he's just trying to be real. On Reddit they (lovingly) call him Gargamel, (villain from the Smurfs show) and now I get a chuckle every time I see him because he does look like him. I love his accent and it cracks me up how he's adopted "y'all" into his vernacular. It's so cute. Also when he says something is the "moment of 'troot'", or any other word that has a "th" in it that he pronounces with a hard "T" sound. The only thing I really hate about the show is the surgical stuff. I can't watch that and have to turn away.
    The synonym is sutures, so that's probably what they were saying instead of stitches. My bad.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

5000 calories a day ??? That's a lot of food.

I know. It was terrible. There were times I would eat a whole loaf of French bread. It was mostly grazing, just eating different things all day. The loaf of bread would be throughout the day, so I might have two pieces one time (with butter of course), then have a couple more later, etc.. Often on this show Dr. Now tells people they have to be eating 5000-8000 calories a day to be at the weight they are. They have to be eating all day. But there was one girl who got like 2 or 3 pizzas, and 24 chicken wings, and cheese bread and something else because she had about 5 boxes delivered, and she ate it all in one sitting.

I read a biography about a chick who ate all the time. Her folks were radio people who often had dinner parties. She got to sneaking down and eating every crumb of party food. I mean all of it in one night. They had to start locking it up. Later on when she moved out of her parents' house she spent every penny she could spare on food. She had deals with several restaurants who allowed her to buy on credit. She would stop at a different place every afternoon so none of them would wise up to her massive eating habit.
    Last edited by cindyt; 04-14-2018 at 11:53 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD