Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana Hill

Shawver83 Guest

Dana Hill

I remember Dana Hill as playing Audrey Griswold with Chevy Chase in one or two of the 'Vacation' movies, I think it was the second one, 'European Vacation.' I heard she had pretty severe diabetes and died at age 32 or something.

GODDESS6 Guest
    i loved her in european vacation!!!~

Dana Hill was born Dana Lynne Goetz on May 6th, 1964 in a suburb of Los Angeles to parents Sandy Hill and Ted Goetz. Despite diabetes ending a promising future in athletics when she was just 10 years old, Dana gamely threw herself into acting when still in her early teens, taking her mother's maiden name as her professional acting name. She found success early on with her performances in both Fallen Angel (1981) (TV) and Shoot the Moon (1982) winning high praise from critics. For her stage work, Hill was awarded the 1986 Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Award as Best Featured Actress for her performance in "Picnic". However complications from her diabetes set in and the consequent decline in her health meant that from the mid-1980's on, Dana increasingly turned to voice over roles in animated movies and television programs such as Jetsons: The Movie (1990), "Goof Troop" (1992) and _"Duckman" (1994)_. In early 1996, Dana's health grew increasingly fragile as was evident to her friends and co-stars. In late May she slipped into a diabetic coma, on the 5th of June she suffered a paralytic stroke and on July 15th she died peacefully in the hospital at the age of 32, bringing an untimely end to a career that in less than two decades had spanned the big and small screen, animation and the theatre.

Snoopy Guest
    I thought she was very talented and she always had a way of touching my heart with her characters..I especially liked her in Picnic!

knothere Guest
    I didn't know she died.

ComputerGuy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    I didn't know she died.
    That is a JUST WOW. She was so talented and young. That blows chunks.

European Vacation was great! That was a shock.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Daphne Guest
    Yikes, I did not even realize she died.. so young. very sad indeed

sweetsfromdasweet Guest
    thats a sad one

SueWahoo Guest
    Anyone remember Welcome Home, Jellybean?

Jellybean!!!!!!!!!

Sue

Darrianne Guest
    She didn't even look like she was in her 30's either.

DeadRinger Guest
    I didn't even know she kicked it - now I'm bummed.

VegasVic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    European Vacation was great! That was a shock.
    *urp* Known as the worst of the Vacation movies until Vegas Vacation trumped it.

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    Correct me if I am wrong (and I usually am, lol)...didn't she also have the role of the very ill child in the movie "Airplane" ?
    I will never forget the scene where the nun is singing to her and accidentally disconnects the iv with her guitar and the kid is passing out....while everyone is happily smiling....

RoRo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel13 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong (and I usually am, lol)...didn't she also have the role of the very ill child in the movie "Airplane" ?
    I will never forget the scene where the nun is singing to her and accidentally disconnects the iv with her guitar and the kid is passing out....while everyone is happily smiling....
    One of my favorite movies! But no, that wasn't Dana Hill; it was Jill Whelan, aka Viki from The Love Boat.

Jaxxx Guest
    Wrong, it was Linda Blair

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Wrong; Linda Blair was never in Airplane.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0080339/fullcredits#cast You'll have to scroll down a bit, but you'll see it's Jill, not Linda.

VegasVic Guest
    Nope. It was definitely Jill Whelan.

hoxharding Guest
    It was Jill Whalen and the actress who played the blonde flight attendent with her played Private benjamin in the tv version of Private Benjamin.(not the lead woman-the blonde woman who sat with the girl)

endsleigh03 Guest
    really sad, and way too young.

Mamma Guest
    Whoa, that was her in Fallen Angel? I remember that television movie - freaked me out as I was just a kid when I saw it myself.

And there was a television series for Private Benjamin? I never knew ...

~Mamma

scarletfever1971 Guest
    I also wasn't aware she had passed... :-(

BeeCee Guest
    [SIZE=3]Every time I see European Vacation (yeah, I rewatch them all regardless), I recall how young this poor girl was when she died. I think she was very talented and had the potential to do some great character stuff. Hard to believe she would now be in her forties. I don't know if it was partially due to her illness but she had a very young appearance.[/SIZE]

insanejeff Guest
    Wow I didn't know she was gone either. I have her in a TV movie from 1984 called Silence of the Heart where she plays the sister of a suicidal teen and she did a fine job in a totally non-comedic role.

She died way too young. Very sad.

knothere Guest
    insanejeff i love ur kitty kat

insanejeff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    insanejeff i love ur kitty kat
    Thanks Unfortunately it's not mine.. I stole it from someone on flickr

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that she intentionally stopped taking her insulin, possibly due to depression, that caused her final coma. Does anyone else remember reading this?

cachluv Guest

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest

Linda Blair was in the movie Aiport 75, as a sick pre-teen. Maybe that's confusing you. Jill Whelan played the little IV girl in Airplane. That was one funny movie.

So sad about Dana. RIP.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    She was the ONLY good thing about "National Lampoon's European Vacation." She taught Chevy Chase a thing or two about comedy in that one...

Tornillo Guest
    She was on Johnny Carson's show one night and was hilarious. Did an imitation of Howard Cosell. Very funny.

raymel1 Guest

Dana Hill

I just loved her in National Lampoon's European Vacation. How sad for her to pass so young.

I didn't know!

What happened?

How true. I didn't know.

Cataroo Guest
    Dana Lynne Goetz (May 6, 1964July 15, 1996) was an American actress and voice actor who was best known for her raspy voice and child-like appearance.
    Her best known roles were Audrey Griswold in National Lampoon's European Vacation, Max on Goof Troop, Jerry in Tom and Jerry: The Movie, and Charles on Duckman. She also starred in the 1981 TV movie "Fallen Angel".
    She also voiced numerous characters in the Nickelodeon show, Rugrats.
    She suffered from diabetes which stunted her growth and caused major diabetic complications as well as a stroke which caused her death on July 15, 1996. Hill was 32 years old.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Gee I had no idea . Always thought she was a cute thing and loved her voice.

SueWahoo Guest

GrinReaper Guest

Name of a child actress

I'm trying to remember the name of an early to mid teen-age actress in the early-mid 80's.
    Here's what I recall about her: She was a guest star on various TV shows. I don't think she ever had her own series.
    She appeard on "The Fall Guy" and explained that she was a diebetic when her syringes were discovered. (I wouldn't be surprised if she was on "Love Boat" or "Fantasy Island." at one time or another.)
    I also remember her being on Johnny Carson. She told a story how someone thought she was a boy! (Well she was kinda tomboyish.)
    That's what I got.
    Any ideas?

Suzanne30 Guest
    Dana Hill?

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne30 View Post
    Dana Hill?
    Beat me to it That was my guess...probably best remembered for playing Audrey Griswold in Nat. Lamps European Vacation...passed away in 1996 at the age of 32...imdb bio

Last edited by Ima Sikfuk; 11-22-2008 at 12:06 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

silverwaif77 Guest
    32 is so young! Poor thing.

DeadRinger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by silverwaif77 View Post
    32 is so young! Poor thing.

She was diabetic and died of complications relating to that.

She has a thread here.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    HOLY SHIT!!! Audrey is DEAD! I had NO IDEA!!! CRAP!!!

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    CRAP!!! Talk about outta tha loop...Just found this out today...I really need to pay more attention...

guardmom2008 Guest
    I had no idea that she died.

Forever-27 Guest
    Her and Clark made the Vacation film ! I never knew she was gone. Wow and so young too.

NOVSTORM Guest
    wow she was a funny kid too..so sad !@

Very sad as I also didn't know she had passed...such a great talent she surely would have gone on to have a great career.. R.I.P. Dana Hill .....
    There's more to the truth than just the facts. ~Author Unknown