Thread: Mickey Mantle

bigdog Guest

Mickey Mantle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mantle

Man this guy had problems. I had no idea. He did get a liver quicker than I would have expected. Seems a lot of celebrities get one so fast. Larry Hagman, David Crosby, Jim (Gomer) Nabors etc.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Man this guy had problems. I had no idea. He did get a liver quicker than I would have expected. Seems a lot of celebrities get one so fast. Larry Hagman, David Crosby, Jim (Gomer) Nabors etc.
    Yup. It's called money and it talks real loud.

Docs will tell you it doesn't make a difference, but that's BS.
    There's always someone out there who can be bought off.

What is it with these life-long booze addicts getting priority?

It's just wrong.

roy clark sang "yesterday,when i was young" at the funeral.

i could'nt done it.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Rip mm.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Hobbes12 Guest
    One hell of a ball player...

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Yup. It's called money and it talks real loud.

Docs will tell you it doesn't make a difference, but that's BS.
    There's always someone out there who can be bought off.

What is it with these life-long booze addicts getting priority?

It's just wrong.
    I so agree with you Nelliebean! But then again if David Crosby hadn't gotten a liver transplant he wouldn't have become a sperm donor for 2 of Mellisa Etheridge's kids

LemonPopsicle Guest
    Did anyone else see that documentary HBO did on him? It was heartbreaking.

Was it called: 61* about Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle's race to
    break Babe Ruth's single-season home run record.
    But also about their personal lives like MM big problem with alcohol.

I'm a huge Yankees fan and after reading 'The Last Boy' my opinion of Mantle has changed a bit. I knew he had an alcohol problem but he was an ugly drunk. Extremely mean, especially to women. He cheated on his wife practically their entire marriage. He broke down at Maris' funeral, praising what a good and decent person Roger was and that it was he who should've died so young. Great baseball player and I give him credit for quitting drinking (albeit much too late). But, he certainly had issues.
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    *61 was Billy Crystals made for HBO ironically enough, movie on the 1961 home run chase between betweenMaris and Mantle. The HBO documentary I believe is 'Mantle'. Both are worth seeing.
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by all8 View Post
    I'm a huge Yankees fan and after reading 'The Last Boy' my opinion of Mantle has changed a bit. I knew he had an alcohol problem but he was an ugly drunk. Extremely mean, especially to women. He cheated on his wife practically their entire marriage. He broke down at Maris' funeral, praising what a good and decent person Roger was and that it was he who should've died so young. Great baseball player and I give him credit for quitting drinking (albeit much too late). But, he certainly had issues.
    Back in the mid 1970's Micky Mantle was in our area late one night having dinner at our local, long defunct Howard Johnsons. Unfortunately Mantel was very drunk, loud and obnoxious the entire time he as at our HoJos. Cursing other customers and being rude to the employees...pretty much the whole she-bang !! When the waitress brings Mantel his dinner, well lets just say that nobody knows if Micky had enjoyed the food since he had passed out in it no sooner when the waitress had put the plate down. Needless to say very quickly after that Mantels people took him out the HoJos and unfortunately for Micky Mantel somebody had a camera in the parking lot and took a pic of the baseball great with food in his hair and his face covered in even more food and yes the pic did make it to our local newspaper. Fortunately for Micky Mantel it was 1974 and kids and many adults as well still look up to him so out of respect, or so I was told anyway the pic was never published but despite that a LOT of our local old-timers around here still to this day talk about this Micky Mantel-Howard Johnson incident.

I met him in Vegas in the 90's. I actually got a pic with him. He was holding a glass of white wine, and put his hand on the back of my dress. Sweaty palms. Nice enough fellow, if a bit out of it. To be fair, so was I!

I have a few hundred Micky Mantel baseball cards. I don't actually collect baseball cards though. I changed a flat tire for a lady on the road and she gave me a box of Micky Mantel cards. She said they belonged to her ex husband. They're probably worth a little money.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

MM cards=$$$$$$$$$$$$.......

I have a bunch of them too. Couple rookie cards and about 30 others in really nice cases. They are all in protective sleeves but the ones I referenced are in screw together hard cases. I might look into selling them. I've kept them because of the unusual circumstances around that sweet old lady giving them to me. It was a real shock to receive something that nice just for changing a tire. I always stop when I see a lady broke down. They usually just say thank you over and over.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

You can now own his deathbed speech.....it's up for auction

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar...ction/15914666
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Loved that movie. Maris was a better ball player!
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

ssn5 Guest
    Vintage hottie.

Quote Originally Posted by McMorbid View Post
    I have a bunch of them too. Couple rookie cards and about 30 others in really nice cases. They are all in protective sleeves but the ones I referenced are in screw together hard cases. I might look into selling them. I've kept them because of the unusual circumstances around that sweet old lady giving them to me. It was a real shock to receive something that nice just for changing a tire. I always stop when I see a lady broke down. They usually just say thank you over and over.
    Just one of those cards could set you up for life, though of course you may not need that.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Just thinking about Roger Maris back in 1961 now with
    Aaron Judge who will break the record soon.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.