Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567815 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/11 Terrorist Attacks and Their Aftermath

Bake Guest
    I was at work. I remember one of the girls emailing me telling me a plane hit the WTC. Didn't know what kind of plane, next thing another one hit. My boss got the TV set up in his office..and we all stood around watching. Anyone that wanted to go home was allowed to leave. We also worked near the airport, it was so very eeerie in the days that followed..all we saw was a lone jet stream...a fighter jet on patrol.

I was at work too, working the graveyard shift in California starting to get ready for the shift change. Someone said that the WTC was hit by a plane (my thought at the time it was accidental.) Went home, went to sleep woke up about 12 noon and seen the news. I will never forget the feeling of terror.

Noelle Page Guest
    Since we are sharing our 9/11 memories....

We lived very close by at the time. Hubby saw it. Neighbors came home covered with debris. NYC was jittery for weeks after...every time a firetruck screamed by or a plane sounded a little too loud, you froze.

The city is thriving now, thank God. But it is still so shocking to look downtown where the towers used to be. I am still so angry.

Sam Guest
    I'm sorry if I sound insensitive, I feel just as sad about September 11th, 2001 as anyone else, but can SOMEONE please explain to me WHY? after SEVEN years we don't have a new building built in it's place?????
    This is THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!
    We should have shown those BASTARDS that we can bounce back instead of whining and crying in "Remembrance" like a bunch of BABIES!!!
    We've spend over 750 BILLION DOLLARS in Iraq.........and lost countless lives! Where has gotten us?
    Pearl Harbor was bombed on December 7th, 1941 and we not only rebuilt most of those ships that were damaged and sunk on that day, we'd WON THE WAR by August of 1945 for Christ Sake!!!
    What ever happened to America's BALLS?!?!?!
    I say stop crying and whining and get this shit OVER WITH!!!!!

BOMB the SHIT out of them so that NO ONE will EVER consider doing something like that to us again!!!!
    Last edited by Sam; 09-09-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Carrie Guest
    I started work at 1 P.M. that day...I was listening to the local morning radio crew cracking jokes....then, it all just stopped. They were watching it and explaining to the listeners what was happening...I turned the tv on...and froze. I called work and told them to turn the radio on. Man, what a day that was....I hope I never have to see anything like that again.

gemini33 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'm sorry if I sound insensitive, I feel just as sad about September 11th, 2001 as anyone else, but can SOMEONE please explain to me WHY? after SEVEN years we don't have a new building built in it's place?????
    We should have shown those "Towel Head" BASTARDS that we can bounce back instead of whining and crying in "Remembrance" like a bunch of BABIES!!!
    We've spend over 750 BILLION DOLLARS in Iraq.........and lost countless lives! Where has gotten us?
    Pearl Harbor was bombed on December 7th, 1941 and we not only rebuilt most of those ships that were damaged and sunk on that day, we'd WON THE WAR by August of 1945 for Christ Sake!!!
    I heard there isn't a new building in it's place because everyone is arguing about what the memorial to the victims should look like.... that's what I heard, don't know if that is fact.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini33 View Post
    I heard there isn't a new building in it's place because everyone is arguing about what the memorial to the victims should look like.... that's what I heard, don't know if that is fact.
    I heard that too.

endsleigh03 Guest
    It's hard to believe this much time has passed because it feels just like yesterday.

Just goes to show the impact the whole thing had. And still has.

Sam Guest
    WHY are we the only country who builds memorials to TERRORIST?!?!
    I agree the people who lost their lives that day should be remembered, but do you realize that if the "Arizona" would have been salvageable it would have been rebuild and gone back into service to help us win WWII?

We should have shown those "Towel Head" BASTARDS that we can bounce back instead of whining and crying in "Remembrance" like a bunch of BABIES!!!

BOMB the SHIT out of them so that NO ONE will EVER consider doing something like that to us again!!!!
    Iraq didnt attack us that day. If you believe what has been represented it was a terrorist organization or "cabal" with no nationalistic roots except for some grand Islamic State they seek to establish which stretches from Western Africa to The Phillipines. If you are a Doubting Thomas then the people you wish to bomb live in Washington and Israel.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Alot was learned from Pearl Harbor. Both sides.

GAdeathhag Guest

If we had done something when the USS COle was hit--- it would not have escalated to where we are now- I second bombing the hell out of those fuckers too

gemini33 Guest
    WHY are we the only country who builds memorials to TERRORIST?!?!
    I agree the people who lost their lives that day should be remembered, but do you realize that if the "Arizona" would have been salvageable it would have been rebuild and gone back into service to help us win WWII?

The memorial is for the VICTIMS and their families. NOT THE TERRORIST.

The attack on Pearl Harbor was against our military. 9/11 was an attack on normal, hard working people.

Sam Guest
    Just looked up some of the ships that were at Pearl Harbor 12-7-1941.

USS Arizona, sank, is now a memorial.
    USS Oklahoma, capsized, scrapped 1942.
    USS Nevada, sat in several feet of water for 2 months, repaired and returned to service May 1943, used as target for atomic testing 1946, sunk by the Navy 1948.
    USS Vestal, beached, repaired 1942, scrapped 1950.
    USS Tennessee, badly damaged, went in for repairs in, returned to service in May 1943.
    USS West Virginia, badly damaged, went in for repairs, returned to service in mid 1944, scrapped 1959.
    USS Maryland, went back into service February 1942, scrapped 1959.
    USS California, sank completely, raised March 1942, returned to service January 1944, scrapped 1959.
    All of these ships suffered loss of life, none as bad as the Arizona, or Oklahoma, but men died on them just the same.
    Many of these ships were build in 1912, 1914, 1916, and all were old when they were attacked, but they returned to the Pacific, many looked completely new, some looked the same, but they returned and gave the Japanese a major dose of "Whup ASS"
    Can you imagine how the Japs felt when they saw the VERY SAME ships they'd bombed at Pearl Harbor BACK, and attacking them!
    Like the Phoenix, they rose up from not the ashes, but the ocean floor, and showed the Japanese what Americans are all about!
    I say, put the towers back where they were, the bodies of those poor people who perished aren't there at the "footprints" of those towers. Sadly they're at some scrapyard where the debris was taken.

Doug81506 Guest
    i worked nights back then and i usually went right to bed when i got home. for some reason i turned on the tv when i got home on 9/11. the first plane had hit and they were trying to figure out what had happened. then the second plane came zooming in and there was word of the pentagon being on fire. i was so friggen tired i went to bed not knowing what happened or if there would be a world left or if i would even wake up.

they are having a bar-b-q at work on 9/11. they aren't doing it in memory; they are honoring our board of directors. i don't think enough people truly remember!
    Last edited by Doug81506; 09-09-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Noelle Page Guest
    Politics, why else?

Noelle Page Guest
    The attack on Pearl Harbor was against our military. 9/11 was an attack on normal, hard working people.
    HORRIBLE both

Sam Guest
    Without a doubt, no person alive over the age of 5 on September 11th, 2001, will ever be able to forget what we were doing, or where we were, that fateful day!
    Just as we will never forget where we were, or what we were doing, on the day John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, or Robert F. Kennedy, were killed.
    I once saw a ladies broach at a flea market, that I regret not buying, it wrote out "Remember Pearl Harbor", in Rhinestones, and somewhere, maybe where the word "Pearl" was supposed to be, there was a pearl. It was $25.00 and I didn't buy it, but I've regretted it ever since!
    I have this silly, spooky, feeling that I was AT Pearl Harbor, in a previous life!
    Maybe that's why I still call them "JAPS" to this day, and I'll never change it, OR own any of their cars!
    I used to burst into tears when I was a child, and saw any film footage of the Pearl Harbor attack. My 10 year old nephew sobbed during the recent movie "Pearl Harbor".
    It's strange, but I feel the same way about the Muslim's in this country. It takes all the strength I have, not to scream at those silly assed women in the scarves, or the dumb assed men, with the towel heads, or "dresses".
    After September 11th, you'd think they would have more sense.
    I don't say anything to them, but if looks could kill, they'd turn to CINDERS!
    I know I'm ignorant on these matters, and they may be Islamic, not Muslims, but I have a difficult time with ANYONE in this country who doesn't speak ENGLISH!
    My ancestors came to this country BEFORE Ellis Island was even built, but the French, and Irish, part of my family soon learned English, the British didn't need to, but they all came into the "Melting Pot", of what makes AMERICA!
    I don't wear a kilt, or a beret, or Hail To The Queen", so why should these people "FLAUNT" themselves in front of us after September 11th? Yes, some of us wear crosses, or crucifixes, or a star of David, but these people are just TOO MUCH in your face!
    I know black people who take offense to "African American" because their ancestors came to this country over 200, or 300, years ago, many of them before OUR ancestors did. They say they're NOT African Americans, but Americans!
    Gee, I didn't intend to get up on this "Soap Box", but I feel so strongly about attacks on American soil, and I guess I just relate Pearl Harbor so much to the destruction of the World Trade Center, I think HUGE retaliation is necessary!
    WHERE is OSAMA?

Sam Guest
    I think it's time to stop crying, and clawing our faces, and show the world what we're made of, REBUILD!

I have neighbors from Morrocco that wear headscarves. They are Christian though. It's a cultural thing. Don't be so quick to a harsh conclusion. Not all Muslims are hatemongerers either. It's really much to easy to react and not consider the complexities of people. You might end up hurting a friend or an ally.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

mel306 Guest
    Going down to the postcards here. My brother is a bagpiper and will be playing all over the island that day for the victims. We were the largest individual community hit with 267 who lived here at the time.

My mother and I were wondering how many were ex-islanders too.

Sam Guest

We should be celebrating THIS building being finished on 9-11-2008 as a VICTORY against terrorist!
    Not wandering around dabbing our eyes!

mel306 Guest
    This is the postcards by the way. Each victim from Staten Island has a profile in the stone and it is facing where the towers were.

Noelle Page Guest
    The building should be a giant middle finger.

mel306 Guest

We should be celebrating THIS building being finished on 9-11-2008 as a VICTORY against terrorist!
    Not wandering around dabbing our eyes!
    huh? This is not finished, it is behind schedule already, most of us hate it and they cannot get tenants. Not sure what they tell the rest of the country through the media, but people who have to work in the city are not fans of this building.

We nothing, a park, or exactly what we had. None of us want to work on the 110 floor again. It takes too long to evacuate even from a 30 floor building. I have done it twice, 45-60 minutes each.

Okay I will get off of it, but this stuff with that building is a real sore spot around here.

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mel306 View Post
    huh? This is not finished, it is behind schedule already, most of us hate it and they cannot get tenants. Not sure what they tell the rest of the country through the media, but people who have to work in the city are not fans of this building.

We nothing, a park, or exactly what we had. None of us want to work on the 110 floor again. It takes too long to evacuate even from a 30 floor building. I have done it twice, 45-60 minutes each.

Okay I will get off of it, but this stuff with that building is a real sore spot around here.
    I was just saying that is what we "SHOULD" be celebrating...

mel306 Guest
    I was just saying that is what we "SHOULD" be celebrating...
    Okay, I will agree, let's just get another building in it's place.

Forever-27 Guest
    I had just gotton off from work. I worked nights back then, I walked into the house flipping on tv , I was going to cook a frozen pizza and watch cartoons till I fall asleep. Instead I had turned on the tv just in time to see the second plane hit the tower. It was almost 6 30 am my time.

Its made it very hard for me to tolerate people from the middle east that. Ive never been to new york, always wanted to go tho.

I did know someone who lost his life on Flight 93, the flight that buried itself into the Pennsylvania countryside en route to San Francisco.

TheMysterian Guest
    I was there that day,about a mile away on 10th ave and 23 st Manhattan delivering supplys to Electricans on a job site when the first plane hit,#2 World Trade Center was supposed to be my next stop,I was supposed to meet another crew of Electricans there in the basement of the building,I knew three people who died that day including a Fireman who was on vacation at the time, who drove from Staten Island to be with his crew. I didn,t see anyone panic while traffic was just unreal,everything was orderly,but it took me seven hours to cross the 59th street bridge as it was the only one open to the outer boros,with thousands of people crossing it on the main roadway.It will always be a day I remember,as I could see the orange Hue of smoke in my mirriors,wondering how many had died ,and why?

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I will be watching CNN on the 11th with my box of kleenex beside me. I watched and listen as each name is called out. I want to be respectful to each and every person who lost their life that horrible, horrible day. My hubs is a firefighter and I know how dedicated those men are to their jobs and to the people. My heart bleeds for the families.

I had just been up long enough to make me some coffee, sat down, turned on the TV and the first plane had already hit. Then the second plane hit. I thought it was a movie. But it was a major network channel that didn't air movies at that time of day, so I knew what I was seeing was real. I just could not wrap my mind around it.

I started crying and quickly called my mama and they were over there crying, scared to death.

I won't ever forget and it won't take a building to make me remember.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

docsmilitarywife Guest

Unhappy Where were you on the morning of 9/11?

I thought maybe we could share our own personal stories of where we were, how we heard about it, etc.

I was recovering from foot & ankle surgery at my parents house. I lived in Ga. at the time & hadn't met my husband yet. Anyway my mom walked into my bedroom where i was sleeping & told em to "get up a plane crashed into a building in NYC!" So i jumped up & hobbled into the living room on my crutches. I was kinda worried because a friend of mine's family lived in NYC. Anyway i looked at the tv & the first thing i thought was that maybe the pilot had had some kind of an attack or something but then my mom reminded me that there were co-pilots & at that moment BAM! the other plane hit the 2nd tower & we both just looked at each other, dumbfounded not knowing what to think. When the buildings fell i thought i was going to faint i was so shocked by then. I can't imagine what people in those buildings or even on the ground in NYC were going through. Anyway i sat in front of the tv w/ my leg elevated for 2 weeks straight, crying & pissed off.

Seagorath Guest
    I was in the office...a very boring & strict office that wouldn't allow us to move from our desks. I knew from Day One that it was all a carefully orchestrated conspiracy.

I had worked a graveyard shift and was asleep when it happened. I woke up later that afternoon and spent about an hour figuring out what transpired. I went to my church that evening to pray for the victims and found out the church custodian had been let go. He was Muslim and the church was afraid he had been 'planted'.(wtf???). I found a new church the next day.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

msmojorisin84 Guest
    I was in Honors Senior English..and my teacher wouldn't let us turn on the radio. Being the nosy brat that I am, I walked out of class and got in my car and listened to the radio. I remember feeling so scared and alarmed and confused..and, well..so many emotions all at once. I remember not being able to sleep for several weeks. I also remember going into work, and my boss saying..and I quote "Gosh, this is getting on my nerves, I wanna listen to Bob Seger". I think that was the point in my life that I started questioning humanity.

michael d Guest
    I had dropped off a friend of mine and her two daughters at Sky Harbor Airport. She was suppose to fly into JFK so she could visit with her family in Queens. After dropping her off, I stopped at Circle K for coffee. The clerks were talking about something that just made no sense. I turned on the radio in my truck and heard the initial reports. I'm not sure how long it was before they stopped flights but I went immediately to the airport to pick her and her girls up. It was creepy driving upto the airport and watching the planes come in. I wonder if they had been told anything to prepare them for the chaos in the airport. I don't think that magnitude of the event had sunk in. People in the airport were upset that their flights had been cancelled and were trying to reschedule. My friend remembers people yellling at the people working the ticket counter.

jeca Guest
    I was in bed and I got a call about a plane hitting a building in NYC. I went back to sleep until I got the second phone call. Then I sat in front of the tv for what seems like several weeks straight.

I was at the pub (we are 12 hours ahead of you).
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

We were on a vacation to Disneyland when 9/11 happened. At that point we had been in Anaheim for 2 days when we got a call from my FIL telling us about the attack. I was the only one up that morning and quickly turned on the t.v. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, it just didn't seem real.

We spent the whole day glued to the t.v. They closed down Disneyland and Universal Studios that day and really, after what had just happened didn't feel like going anyway. Watching the Twin Towers fall was unbelievable and it's an image I'll never forget.
    "Dying is just nature's way of saying, hey, you're not alive anymore!"

John Connor Guest
    I was in bed with this chick I had just met and was really into. We were supposed to go to see Serendipity at the Film Fest the night before but she was so late we missed it. I didn't care about the movie but I was bummed because I thought she didn't like me. We went out for food instead (and drinks;p) and ended up at her place. I remember her phone kept ringing in the morning and people kept leaving messages about NYC but she wouldn't wake up. I went home and turned on my TV and wow....

I'm still with that chick and we were just talking about this last night.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    It was early out in the West Coast --- I had gone to school early (college) to print out this paper due in English b/c my printer was broken at home. I got the computer labs and checked out this site and people were talking about it. I immediately went to msnbc.com and saw the maddness. Then they turned on the TV's int he computer lab and it was so surreal. I remember they cut to live footage because another plane had hit. I was like WTF is going on?

I went to my early class in a dazed. When I got to class the T.V was on and everyone in class was watching it unfold before our eyes in a state of panic/disbelief. I got through that class and went to my next class and they announced that classes are canceled to go home. I remember driving through the streets of Downtown Sac and it was a ghost town. I made my way to church to find some sort of comfort and church was packed.

I went home and I could not stop watching the news. I fell asleep watching the news and I woke up to the aftermath. :/

I was at work at the TV station, having just finished our morning news show. We were all in the smokeroom smoking and watching CBS. Network cut in and everyone's jaw dropped. Then the second plane hit and we just sat there stunned. There was nothing we could do but watch, even though after a couple of minutes we all went running for the newsroom. There were probably a dozen monitors in the newsroom, all playing the same live footage. It was chaotic and scary. I slept two fitful hours that day.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

TheMysterian Guest

posted in memory of 911

I was in lower Manhattan that day on 23rd st. and 10th ave. making deliveries for an electrical contractor at various job sites,my next stop was supposed to be 2 World Trade Center to meet another group of electricans but I was delayed at the 23rd st stop.

deathaddict Guest
    I was at home watching something when i switched over to the news. initially it just said that a plane had crashed into the world trade centre. Then another plane came out of nowhere and bam this ball of fire just came up and the newscaster's voice just faltered. I knew then it was deliberate. I just watched tv all day. It was like looking at a movie - it was so unreal, the towers collapsing. Even now when i think back i can still see the towers collapsing and see all those people running away and that man who feel from the tower first. The emotions are still there as the years go on. it still feels like yesterday.

mel306 Guest
    Battery Park with a plane flying over my head.

Noelle Page Guest
    Merge with the new "Where were you?" thread?

GODDESS6 Guest
    i was at home watching the TODAY show & watched it all unfold live~ i was devestated~ i had just been to new york, to those buildings~ i saw a few people jumping before the news realized what it was & tried not to show anymore of the jumping~ not only the deaths, but the hatred to this day is unfathomable to me~ that someone would hate us so much, that they would do this to innocent folks~

the next day when they had victims family members on tv~ i remember distincly a young man, who was recently married & was in cali where he & his new bride were living when it happened~ because of the time difference, he didn't answer the phone call his wife made~ she was at the top of tower II~ he was still sleeping, but she left him a voicemail~ her name was melissa & the fear in her voice i will never forget~ i think of her every year at this time, along w/ the others~ but for some reason i remember her name~

on a sorta side note~ i live 1 mile from stratcom airforce base~ 1 of the places bush flew to that day~ tho i am not a bush fan, it was amazing seeing airforce one fly super low right over my home to make a landing at stratcom~ it was so low, we could read the writing & numbers on it~ it was something to see~
    Last edited by GODDESS6; 09-10-2008 at 05:49 AM.

i was home from work because i had just had my second daughter. I was watching the Today Show while my oldest daughter was watching cartoon in the other room. i called my husband at work at told him to go find a TV...fast. I didn't see much of the coverage that afternoon because I had to get out of the house....took the kids to the park. that night i went to a church around the corner from my house, and prayed awhile. i mean i just brought a child into this world, and I was a little scared about my kids' future.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Jane Aiur Guest

About 15 feet from where I am right now.

I was in my classroom when another teacher came in with a message from wife. (Seems my wife broke the news to my department.) For the rest of the day until they sent us home early I listened to the radio between classes and taught like nothing had happened during classes.

It was a beautiful, sunny day, but it still took 2 hours to get home.

Vamp Guest
    In juvenile court, the judge said there was a huge plane accident. That the plane had hit the world trade center....