Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What song scared you as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    Hands down. DOA by Bloodrock. Scared the wadding out of me......

First song that came to my mind too. That was freakin' scary! But LOVED listening to it. Saw them do it live when they were touring with Grand Funk, but really loses a lot live.

But then just about anything on the Beatles White Album is scary too, specially when you're all in the Paul is Dead mood ------oooooooooooooo

Thriller video scared me as a kid...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Down in the Depths (of the 90th floor)
    A Cole Porter song whose name I do not know, but it scared the crap outta me

Rosebud666 Guest
    No joke, when I was 5 years old, the song about Aunt Rohdy and the old gray goose made me want to run out of the room:

Go tell Aunt Rhody,
    . . .
    The old gray goose is dead.

The one she's been saving,
    . . .
    To make a feather bed.

The goslings are mourning,
    . . .
    Because their mother's dead.

The old gander's weeping,
    . . .
    Because his wife is dead.

She died in the mill pond,
    . . .
    From standing on her head.

Go tell Aunt Rhody,
    . . .
    The old gray goose is dead.
    I'd like 5 minutes in a locked room with the idiot who thought this would be a good song for kindergarten kids. I had just lost three great-grandparents in quick succession and was really struggling to come to terms with the concept that people die. No wonder I had nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    No joke, when I was 5 years old, the song about Aunt Rohdy and the old gray goose made me want to run out of the room No wonder I had nightmares.
    I know you prefaced your post with "no joke", but as a violinist I had to HAHAHA ("Go Tell Aunt Rhody" is, sadly, a Suzuki Book One standard...none of us can escape it, no matter how hard we try...all it conjures to mind is children squeaking and squawking en masse with plastic bows).
    But you're right - those lyrics *are* disturbing...jeez!
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    Down in the Depths (of the 90th floor)
    A Cole Porter song whose name I do not know, but it scared the crap outta me
    Cole Porter? Really?

Now I really want to know how that song goes. Do you remember any of the lyrics, or can you bring yourself to hum the melody?

It wasn't "Begin the Beguine", was it?

Oh wait I misunderstood. The title of the song is "Down in the Depths (On the 90th Floor)". Never heard that one before, but it sounds pretty much like any other Cole Porter song to me. I guess you could interpret the lyrics to mean that she is thinking about jumping. Maybe that is what scared you, or do you have a fear of heights?

deanfan Guest
    The Snake by Al Wilson

cloudddae Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadRinger View Post
    It was a novelty song from 1966 by a guy calling himself Napoleon XIV (real name Jerry Samuels)

Remember when you ran away
    And I got on my knees
    And begged you not to leave
    Because I'd go beserk

Well you left me anyhow
    And then the days got worse and worse
    And now you see I've gone
    Completely out of my mind

And they're coming to take me away ha-haaa
    They're coming to take me away ho ho hee hee ha haaa
    To the funny farm
    Where life is beautiful all the time
    And I'll be happy to see those nice young men
    In their clean white coats
    And they're coming to take me away ha haaa

You thought it was a joke
    And so you laughed
    You laughed when I said
    That losing you would make me flip my lid

Right? You know you laughed
    I heard you laugh. You laughed
    You laughed and laughed and then you left
    But now you know I'm utterly mad

They're coming to take me away ho ho hee hee ha haaa
    To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds
    And basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes

I cooked your food
    I cleaned your house
    And this is how you pay me back
    For all my kind unselfish, loving deeds
    Ha! Well you just wait
    They'll find you yet and when they do
    They'll put you in the A.S.P.C.A.
    You mangy mutt

They're coming to take me away ha haaa ho ho hee hee
    To the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time
    And I'll be happy to see those nice young men
    In their clean white coats

And they're coming to take me away
    To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds
    And basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes
    And they're coming to take me away ha haaa!

This was my scary song too, Very creepy.
    Last edited by cloudddae; 10-23-2011 at 07:59 PM.

cloudddae Guest
    Another one was:

"I Gotcha"

(As recorded by Joe Tex)
    JOE TEX

I gotcha, uh huh huh huh
    You thought you got away from me, didn't you uh huh huh
    You thought I didn't see you, now didn't you uh huh huh
    Your tried to sneak by me, now didn't you uh huh huh
    You thought you was being slick, now didn't you uh huh huh
    You thought you was being slick, now didn't you uh huh huh
    Now give me what you promised me, give it here, come on.

You promised me the day that you quit your boyfriend
    I'd be the next one to ease on in
    You promised me it would be just us two yeah
    And I'd be the only man kissing on you yeah
    Now kiss me, hold it a long time hold it
    Don't turn it a-loose now hold it a little bit longer
    Now hold it, come on, hold it, hold it, hold it
    Ease up on me now get back
    Good God the girl's all right y'all.

You made me promise and you're gonna stick to it
    You shouldn't have promised if you wasn't gonna do it
    You saw me and ran in another direction
    I'll teach you to play with my affection
    Now give it here, you never should have promised to me
    Give it here, don't hold back now
    Give it here, don't say nothing
    Just give it here, come on, give it here
    Give it here, give it here, give it here
    Give it to me now.

I gotcha you shouldn't have promised to me
    I gotcha you never should have promised to me
    I gotcha give it on here, I gotcha
    You thought you got away from me, didn't ya
    Because I gotcha, give it on here now.

Shawver83 Guest
    I remember listening to the CBS Radio Mystery Theater with E.G. Marshall back in the 70's when I was a kid, and the opening and ending music to that was haunting and creepy to me, up all alone at my grandmother's house late at night listening to it. And it's not a song, but that weird 'reeeeiik' sound in the opening credits of 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' freak me out. I guess it's the sound of an old 35 mm camera firing, but super creepy. When I was really young, in the early 70's, I can remember a song coming on and my mom explained to me that it was about a little girl who either died or was dying and begging not be buried because she was afraid of the dark. I can't remember a thing about the way the song sounded, just what my mom told me it was about. Creeped me out. It was probably a country song as that's all she listened to.

Shawver83 Guest
    Okay, I can identify the song about the girl not wanting to be buried. Apparently it's an old Dolly Parton song called 'Jeannies Afraid of the Dark' or something like that, about a little girl who was always scared of the dark, then died, and her parents placed an eternal flame on her grave so she'd had some light. Ugh! -shiver-

The Lucky One Guest
    The hidden song on Nirvana's never mind album scared the shit out of me as a child!!

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_zino View Post
    "In the Year 2525" by Zager and Evans freaked the heck out of me as a youngster.
    Oh my gosh, I can't believe someone else listed this song! It started when I was in first grade and we were doing a little performance of some sort and every grade danced to a song. One of the older grades did this song complete with strobe lights and other weird special effects that I can't recall (or am perhaps blocking). I remember that the song went faster and faster and the damn lights were blinking and changing colors and it scared the living shit out of me!!! I still wouldn't listen to the song if it ever came on the radio!

Also, the theme song from Hawai'i 5-0 scared me as a kid because I was terrified of the giant wave in the opening credits. I was convinced that it was going to come through the television and get me.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    What is that dumb-ass song about the little boy wanting to buy his mom a new pair of shoes because she needs them for when she goes to Heaven? People seem to love that one but it makes me want to barf. Not to mention it's a waste of perfectly good shoes.

Heart and Soul Guest

Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams

It's still creepy to me, to this day.

deanfan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Oogie Boogie View Post
    What is that dumb-ass song about the little boy wanting to buy his mom a new pair of shoes because she needs them for when she goes to Heaven? People seem to love that one but it makes me want to barf. Not to mention it's a waste of perfectly good shoes.
    Think it's called The Christmas Shoes. The first time I heard it, I thought it was too sad for Christmas, Now I can't listen to it since my mom died. Can't get into really sappy songs anyway.

trishsixxm Guest
    For sure it's the theme song from the Amityville Horror. It still scares the crap out of me and once I hear it I can't get the song out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    The hidden song on Nirvana's never mind album scared the shit out of me as a child!!
    Hidden songs always get me. The ones that are like 13 mins into the last track of a cd. I'll forget that I was listening to something when the last song stops, then the hidden stuff comes on out of nowhere. It takes me a little bit to realize where the music or voices are coming from depending on the track lol!

Unsolved Mysteries always freaked me out too.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deanfan View Post
    Think it's called The Christmas Shoes. The first time I heard it, I thought it was too sad for Christmas, Now I can't listen to it since my mom died. Can't get into really sappy songs anyway.
    I'm sorry about your mom, deanfan

CORONERGAL Guest
    Let's see....the theme to Night Gallery still gives me shivers, along with the theme to Tales from the Darkside.
    Ghost Riders in the Sky creeped me out because the first time I heard it was in Genoa, Nevada on an add for the Bucket of Blood Saloon in Virginia City. They used to say "Come and dance with the ghosts from Boot Hill cemetary!" Oh yeah, I'm there!
    Funeral for a Friend used to really creep me out. Now it's no big deal.
    Amos Moses by Jerry Reed scared me because it was about a killer alligator. Not that we had many of those growing up in San Francisco, but you never knew.

Slightly off thread......someone mentioned the song "Cars" by Gary Neuman scared them. I loved that song and had all his albums. Got to see him in concert his first time in the states. I went up to the stage to take pictures and was going back to my seat when he called me up to the stage. I thought "Oh crap! I'm busted!". He bent down and laid a kiss on me and said "Thank you for taking my picture and making me feel welcome here!" I don't remember much after I floated back to my seat. He was hot and rocking the guyliner back then!

doyleloyal Guest
    the "Big John" song, about the guy that got buried in the mine always creeps me out. I think that very last line for some reason gives me the willies "at the bottom of this mine lies a big, big man...big john" just neasty creepy!!

Quote Originally Posted by doyleloyal View Post
    the "Big John" song, about the guy that got buried in the mine always creeps me out. I think that very last line for some reason gives me the willies "at the bottom of this mine lies a big, big man...big john" just neasty creepy!!
    Speaking of ill-fated mine songs, does anyone remember "Timothy" by the Buoys in 1971? I never heard of it until my husband told me about it. Little song about two miners who ate the third.... Catchy beat. You can dance to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGNdvKvbxYQ
    Archer Fact: You canâ??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

Subject_B Guest
    Add another one for The Doors "Riders on the Storm". Every time I heard that song on the radio, I was both awestruck and terrified.

"Big Bad John" by Jimmy Dean was ALWAYS a favorite of mine!! - He stood 6 ft 6 and weighed 249....

Of course there is the BeeGees Mining Disaster song, and "16 tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford - not really scary, but haunting maybe.

The "Edmund Fitzgerald" is kinda spooky too.

Who can forget the king of nightmares!? Alice - Alway creeped out by a lot of Welcome to My Nightmare, Alice goes to Hell and From the Inside. This is one of the versions on youtube of "Steven" from WTMN. Not one of the best, but Vincent Price is in it for a minute. Check out some of the other versions
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueITj...eature=related

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia....still gives me the creeps a little bit

The Edmund Fitzgerald for sure! Always gives me goosebumps. Also the theme from The Amityville horror - the childrens voices...EEK.

28. 10-30-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Subject_B View Post
    Add another one for The Doors "Riders on the Storm". Every time I heard that song on the radio, I was both awestruck and terrified.
    ...oh ya, I remember being in bed as a young kid and hearing it, 'killer on the road', plus his beautiful but haunting voice, and the thunder, yikes!
    Miss Chunk
    "I guess every form of refuge has its price"...

wilkiefan Guest
    For me... "In the Hall of the Mountain King". It always gives me goosebumps when I hear it. Made me think of Goblins stalking through a dark, foggy forest. I love it. Especially this version...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf2aIVKp1OY

Just remembered this one. My family had an antique wind up gramophone when I was a kid accompanied by a small collection of old vinyl records that came with its purchase in the mid 70s. One of the recordings was The Wedding of the Painted Doll. I would sit on the floor repulsed yet entranced by it compelled to repeat the cycle of grinding the cranh, dropping the stylus and listening to the warbly warped scratchy voice of some machines ghost recounting a tale of some cracked porcelain dolls union with some poor unfortunate soul. The tone of the narration always differed due to the speed of playback being determined by the vigor with which I wound up the mechanism. Sometimes it was slow like a Portishead scratch, others fast like a highpitched Wu-Tang loop. It was always eerie. I imagined the scenario as a dusty old black and white film from the 20s experienced with realistic immediacy. All is viewed as grayscale as though the brief moment of graying or blacking out from trauma has become an eternity of extra-experiential knowledge of popular cultural history that is as monotone as The Twilight Zone and may as well have been recounted by Rod Serling. If it was 70 years prior to my existance it might as well have been 100,000 years. I may as well have been hearing the hesitant apprehensive and fearful whispers of Adam upon Yahweh presenting him a clay model of his bride to be.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

jaylene Guest
    The Creature Feature music always bothered me and still does. I can hear it now
    and makes me shiver. Showing my age.

Quote Originally Posted by homesgirl View Post
    Speaking of ill-fated mine songs, does anyone remember "Timothy" by the Buoys in 1971? I never heard of it until my husband told me about it. Little song about two miners who ate the third.... Catchy beat. You can dance to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGNdvKvbxYQ
    Yea i always thought this song was cool when i was a kid...until i figured out what it was about
    Those are my principles.If you don't like them,I have others.

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

navallint Guest
    My brother had this record, freaked me out, he would play it over and over and...it was the 60's
    They re coming to me away....ahhhhha
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iDl2...eature=related

I can't remember any songs really scaring me too much. But the video of Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" kind of does... kind of has a Village of the Damned thing goin' on there...
    And yeah, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" was positively haunting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Likely not scary to anyone else but I had two that used to disturb me as a kid.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0GtRI4Ulo Surfin Bird - I think the adults around me used to play this song just to torment me. Really I hated it and didn't see the humor at all. It was freaky if you ask me.

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh4se...eature=related Last Kiss by J Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers. Not scary really but haunting and the 45 of my dad's I played had just enough of a little scratchy sound that it made the fiery car crash story all the more ghostlike.

Ode to Billie Joe freaked me out- death hag song for sure

Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    Oh good one!! Can't hear that song without picturing Robbie Benson either.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Not a song, but a record - although I think the song was vaguely disturbing too.

As a little kid, I used to play my dad's old 45s on my first record player. I can't remember the song exactly or even the name (I think it had the word "lonely" in the title), but I vividly remember that the label featured a really creepy picture of a sperm whale that I did not like to look at at all! I didn't even want to touch it - I would handle it very carefully by the edges so that my fingers never touched the label. Wierd, huh?

The effects could, however, be banished immediately by listening to "Hey Mr. Columbus, Turna da Ship Around"

MinLynn Guest
    I can't really say that any songs scared me as a kid but there were songs that conjure up such bad feelings in me that I cringe hearing them and have to turn them off. For instance, my dad was a heavy drug and alcohol abuser who worshipped The Moody Blues. His binges started every night around 11PM with Nights in White Satin. I knew it was time for my ass to head to bed and plug my ears when it came on. Can't listen to it to this day without bad memories of yelling, screaming and the smell of cheap beer and even cheaper weed. I know it's actually a pretty song and all but he just turned it into a nightmare and I can't stand it.

Now this isn't a song or a jingle but the Emergency Broadcast signal on the TV or radio? To this day, I let out a yelp and reach for the mute button!(in fact eerily enough as I'm typing this..............it's going off in my daughter's room! Damn it!)

The Unsolved Mysteries theme song. Without a doubt. On a related topic, there are new episodes. Obviously, Robert Stack is dead. I'm watching them right now, but I don't know that I will be able to get into them. Robert Stack added that certain level of creepiness. The setup looks more like America's Most Wanted now, too. Not so sure about this.

doyleloyal Guest
    "little red riding hood" used to creep me out in a weird,funny way and "house of rising sun" no thank you, it gives me the willies!!

Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    The movie is just as creepy too IMO.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Theme from the How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I still can't watch that show even as a adult.

The monkeys chanting and marching in The Wizard of Oz.

Theme from The Exorcist, love the song but still gives me chills.

trustno1 Guest
    Does anyone remember the animated movie Watership Down? That movie scares the crap out of me. I went into a card shop once and they had "Bright Eyes" by Art Garfunkel on and I nearly flipped. I couldn't leave fast enough.

Some of the music from the old Sesame Street segments is a little bizarre. There was one about milk and a little baby screaming for it and it was all minor key and I tell you what...

Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" the imagery just scared me. I started crying the first time I heard it and begged my Dad to turn it off. Have it on my iPod now. The beginning of ELO's "Fire on High" STILL scares the hell outta me!

DarkFlax Guest
    Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight and The Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls...of which I both love now.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulcinea View Post
    Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" the imagery just scared me. I started crying the first time I heard it and begged my Dad to turn it off. Have it on my iPod now. The beginning of ELO's "Fire on High" STILL scares the hell outta me!
    Oh, "Don't Fear the Reaper" used to disturb me too. Now I kind of like it. The famous guitar riff is clever and easy to play. That song and "Sweet Home Alabama" are proof that it doesn't take much to write a hit song.

It needs more cowbell though.

buglover Guest
    Big Chair by Tears for Fears. Played the B side of a record at a slumber party and it was so creepy we were all scared the rest of the night!

algae85 Guest
    I was always scared of Runaway Train by Soul Asylum.. Just the idea of disappearing and never being heard from again.. Even if it was my own decision to runaway..
    The song is actually about a friend of my brother in law's. So weird that it came full circle.

Bassetlover09 Guest
    King Diamond...I believe was the name of the group. I think Glenn Danzig was the singer. The guy used to creep me out. But now he's just a funny looking little short guy. lol.