Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Rev. Jim Jones and the People's Temple

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pat-ly...s_b_58022.html

I was curious about the interview the NBC reporter did in Jonestown....why I couldnt find it.....the last interview with Jones. This explains

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    Okay, here's a question for all of us that have been posting on this thread. We've seen the documentaries, we've read the articles. Do you think something like Jonestown could happen again, in today's society? Do you see any similarities between American society today and the way it was in the late 1970's? Have we learned anything that Jonestown has taught us, or is America bound to have something like it happen again?
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    Okay, here's a question for all of us that have been posting on this thread. We've seen the documentaries, we've read the articles. Do you think something like Jonestown could happen again, in today's society? Do you see any similarities between American society today and the way it was in the late 1970's? Have we learned anything that Jonestown has taught us, or is America bound to have something like it happen again?

Waco and Heaven's Gate are a couple of examples that it can and will happen again...

Lisamarie Guest
    I do for sure look at people like David Kuresh or whatever his name was they even killed theor own kids.....okay I have questions..one why did the one lady slit both her and her childrens throats elsewere and not with the others? When were the father cares tapes made? And my God how could nay sane person think for one moment this was a peaceful and loving community? You have children talking about killing thier own mothers!!! Im disgusted at all these poeple!! They took something like what they said would be a utopia and turned it into this sick, disgusting thing! I hope wherever these dead members ended up they know now how wrong and stupid they were and what they imposed on their children was disgusting ! These people!! God had nothing ot do with the disgusting things they got up to out inthat jungle!!!

Reading the transcript from the tape, where they talk about what they want to do to their relatives, who they've been taught are traitors, it seems to me like they really want to be reunited with their relatives. Maybe like they even want to go home again. It seems like they really still care about their relatives. Otherwise, why would they even bother to be so explicitly passionate about how they would like to kill them? For a lot of people, if you don't care about your relatives, then you don't speak about them and you write them out of your life. You have no feelings about them one way or the other. You have to have somebody mean something to you, in your life, to either love or hate them.
    I think Jim Jones knew these people cared about the relatives who were left behind and tried to manipulate them, by turning their love into hate for them. He knew that this tape would be a powerful tool to play for the family members back in the States, because they would believe what was on the tape, and leave the cult members alone. Plus, it would be a stab in the heart for these so called "traitors", to hear their loved ones say such things about them.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    I do for sure look at people like David Kuresh or whatever his name was they even killed their own kids.....okay I have questions..one why did the one lady slit both her and her children's throats elsewhere and not with the others? When were the father cares tapes made? And my God how could nay sane person think for one moment this was a peaceful and loving community? You have children talking about killing their own mothers!!! Im disgusted at all these people!! They took something like what they said would be a utopia and turned it into this sick, disgusting thing! I hope wherever these dead members ended up they know now how wrong and stupid they were and what they imposed on their children was disgusting ! These people!! God had nothing to do with the disgusting things they got up to out in that jungle!!!
    Dang girl, calm down...

Reading the transcript from the tape, where they talk about what they want to do to their relatives, who they've been taught are traitors, it seems to me like they really want to be reunited with their relatives. Maybe like they even want to go home again. It seems like they really still care about their relatives. Otherwise, why would they even bother to be so explicitly passionate about how they would like to kill them? For a lot of people, if you don't care about your relatives, then you don't speak about them and you write them out of your life. You have no feelings about them one way or the other. You have to have somebody mean something to you, in your life, to either love or hate them.
    I think Jim Jones knew these people cared about the relatives who were left behind and tried to manipulate them, by turning their love into hate for them. He knew that this tape would be a powerful tool to play for the family members back in the States, because they would believe what was on the tape, and leave the cult members alone. Plus, it would be a stab in the heart for these so called "traitors", to hear their loved ones say such things about them.
    very good points!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

harlequin_clown Guest
    I read and watched the documentary's all night long. And I am truly truly at a loss for words. I had hear about it, but didn't actually look it up and read about it until now. Crazy shit.

Seagorath Guest

Was there ever a final breakdown count each of:
    a) how many people drank the cyanide?
    b) how many people had to be injected with the cyanide?
    c) how many people were shot?
    d) how many people were able to escape?
    Didn't the documentaries say that some people were able to escape by running through the jungle, and it took them days to reach civilization?

Seagorath Guest
    I always thought that Jones and Anne Moore were the only ones shot. The rest were probably injected.

There were a small few that escaped...One elderly lady hid under her bed and survived...another elderly man played dead in a ditch until it was all over. And then there were a small few who escaped into the woods. I probably would've taken a cup, and then acted like I drank it...and I then would've peacefully walked off with a crowd, and then hid under a building (or in the forest)...I'm a big cyanide PUSSY...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all

Was there ever a final breakdown count each of:
    Didn't the documentaries say that some people were able to escape by running through the jungle, and it took them days to reach civilization?

As long as there are people, there will be vulnerable people, and there will be people who will exploit those vulnerabilities.
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

It's happened with Koresh at Waco, Heaven's Gate and I really wonder if the Scientologists will do something crazy one day. It's scary.

Seagorath Guest
    ROFLMFAO...Those goddamn Scientologists!

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    It's happened with Koresh at Waco, Heaven's Gate and I really wonder if the Scientologists will do something crazy one day. It's scary.

Lisamarie Guest
    Ooooooh wanna hear me go off?? Dont get me started on the Scientologist!!!!!! Then someone will really have to calm my ass down!!!

Lisamarie Guest
    So why did homegirl slit her babies throats?? Why not drink the cynide??

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    ROFLMFAO...Those goddamn Scientologists!
    OK, I left my last remark wide-open for laughs. Yes, the Scientologists have done many crazy things already. I meant to say that they might someday have the urge or Xenu will tell them it's time to join him.

OK, I left my last remark wide-open for laughs. Yes, the Scientologists have done many crazy things already. I meant to say that they might someday have the urge or Xenu will tell them it's time to join him.

Haha we can only hope!

So why did homegirl slit her babies throats?? Why not drink the cynide??
    homegirl, Sharron Amos

She was a fanatical follower and in charge of the Georgetown unit. When she got the orders from Jonestown (40 miles away)to end it....she did. She used a knife....maybe she was all out of flavor-aid....to kill her two younger kids and had her oldest slit her throat and she slit hers....ah mother/daughter bonding at its best. Thankfully the boys basket ball team refused to go back to Jonestown and left the Georgetown house in time to escape the knife. They returned a few hours later and found the bloody mess.

The oldest daughter had dinner with her father for the first time in years that evening since he had come to Georgetown with the "Concerned Realitives" and the congressman crew. She promised they would have breakfast in the morning knowing full well the order of demise had already happened. Poor guy

[quote="What Tha....?";381297]Was there ever a final breakdown count each of:
    Didn't the documentaries say that some people were able to escape by running through the jungle, and it took them days to reach civilization?[/quote]

[URL]http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/[/URL]
    The following is a list of Peoples Temple members who were in Guyana on 18 November 1978 and who survived the deaths in Jonestown, Georgetown, and the Port Kaituma airstrip.

There are 87 individuals on this list. Those who are known to have died or who are presumed to be dead â?? because of their age at the time â?? are listed in red type. (These names also appear at [URL="http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/AboutJonestown/WhoDied/whodiedsince_list.htm"]http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/AboutJonestown/WhoDied/whodiedsince_list.htm[/URL], along with obituaries and remembrances for many of them.) Other names by which the survivors were known appear in lower case. Nicknames â?? often the names by which they were known in Jonestown â?? appear in parentheses after the given names.

Most of the people on this list were on survivorsâ?? lists printed in newspapers and/or prepared by the FBI and State Department in the weeks following the mass deaths. Other names appeared on lists prepared at the time by Laura Johnston and Jim Randolph. Since then, numerous people in addition to Jim and Laura have provided us with more information. We are especially grateful for the assistance of Don Beck, Tim Carter, and Denice Stephenson.

Completed almost 30 years after the deaths in Guyana, the following is the first list to include the names of everyone who died in Guyana on 18 November 1978.
    There were 918 people who died that day. Five â?? Rep. Leo Ryan, NBC correspondent Don Harris, NBC soundman Bob Brown, newspaper photographer Greg Robinson, and Temple defector Patty Parks â?? were shot to death at the Port Kaituma airstrip. Four â?? Sharon Amos and her children Liane Harris, Christa Amos and Martin Amos â?? died at the Peoples Temple house in Lamaha Gardens in Georgetown. The remaining 909 died in Jonestown.
    This list was compiled by Fielding M. McGehee III from a number of different sources. These sources include: the U.S. Department of State list released on 17 December 1978; the U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee report on the assassination of Rep. Leo J. Ryan, published 15 May 1979; the Jonestown/Guyana Memorial Wall Committee list prepared in October 1995; Peoples Temple records and censuses which the organization maintained in Jonestown; documents released under the Freedom of Information Act from the FBI in 2002; and individuals whose friends and relatives died on 18 November 1978

I dont believe anyone will ever know for fact how many drank or were injected. The state of decomposition and sheer numbers of bodies made it impossible to autopsy everyone. I have only read that Jim Jones and Annie Moore were shot.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/
    The following is a list of Peoples Temple members who were in Guyana on 18 November 1978 and who survived the deaths in Jonestown, Georgetown, and the Port Kaituma airstrip.

There are 87 individuals on this list. Those who are known to have died or who are presumed to be dead â?? because of their age at the time â?? are listed in red type. (These names also appear at http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/AboutJonestown/WhoDied/whodiedsince_list.htm, along with obituaries and remembrances for many of them.) Other names by which the survivors were known appear in lower case. Nicknames â?? often the names by which they were known in Jonestown â?? appear in parentheses after the given names.
    Good work, Baroque1.
    Most of the people on this list were on survivorsâ?? lists printed in newspapers and/or prepared by the FBI and State Department in the weeks following the mass deaths. Other names appeared on lists prepared at the time by Laura Johnston and Jim Randolph. Since then, numerous people in addition to Jim and Laura have provided us with more information. We are especially grateful for the assistance of Don Beck, Tim Carter, and Denice Stephenson.

Completed almost 30 years after the deaths in Guyana, the following is the first list to include the names of everyone who died in Guyana on 18 November 1978.
    There were 918 people who died that day. Five â?? Rep. Leo Ryan, NBC correspondent Don Harris, NBC soundman Bob Brown, newspaper photographer Greg Robinson, and Temple defector Patty Parks â?? were shot to death at the Port Kaituma airstrip. Four â?? Sharon Amos and her children Liane Harris, Christa Amos and Martin Amos â?? died at the Peoples Temple house in Lamaha Gardens in Georgetown. The remaining 909 died in Jonestown.
    This list was compiled by Fielding M. McGehee III from a number of different sources. These sources include: the U.S. Department of State list released on 17 December 1978; the U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee report on the assassination of Rep. Leo J. Ryan, published 15 May 1979; the Jonestown/Guyana Memorial Wall Committee list prepared in October 1995; Peoples Temple records and censuses which the organization maintained in Jonestown; documents released under the Freedom of Information Act from the FBI in 2002; and individuals whose friends and relatives died on 18 November 1978

That is terrific, baroque1! Thanks so much for pointing us to this one.
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

Thanks, Baroque1. Awesome video. I don't remember the broadcast. Since I was 12 at the time, I was probably playing or doing homework instead of watching the news.

yeah, I was the same age but I remember seeing some things about it....I remember that red shirt and sun glasses Jones wore but didnt realize that was his last day living. He always reminded me of a Elvis....back then they were both greasy bloated aging men with dyed black hair.

Armcast Guest
    These videos take me back...I was in elementary school when this happened and my parents wouldn't let me watch the news when this was on nor see the magazines that were reporting this. I had to go to a friend's house to see some of the stories.

Lisamarie Guest
    God slitting your own throat would hurt like hell!! I really wish there were crime scene photos ..I have never ever seen the Jim Jones cabin of death..with his stupid dead hos in there with his lame ass....also I read the unkown infant male had his skull crushed...Im sure another love child from one of his followers. But why a crushed skull I wonder?

Seagorath Guest
    Amazing vintage news footage...thanks Baroque!

also I read the unkown infant male had his skull crushed...Im sure another love child from one of his followers. But why a crushed skull I wonder?
    My guess is, either his mother was holding him and dropped him, when the cyanide overtook her, or he was laying on the ground and somebody fell on him.

Seagorath Guest
    The infant was probably crushed in all the "confusion"...

The NBC archives footage is interesting. The body count first reported was so low, only 383 people. Then it was reported that over 500 people had survived and were "somewhere in the Guyana jungle". Obviously this info was totally false. Strange. It's not like the reporters wouldn't be able to see all the bodies spread out over the grounds of the pavillion. They could even see them from the helicopters circling over the jungle. Was there an attempt of some kind of cover up, at first? What would be the reason for reporting that there were far more survivors, than were actually accounted for?

I think the first counts were always estimates. When they estimated such a low number at first, they drew the logical conclusion that most of the rest must have escaped into the jungle. As they began to remove the bodies, they discovered that what they at first thought was one layer of bodies had other bodies beneath them. Plus, death counts in tragedies that result in large numbers are frequently low when news of the tragedy first begins to be reported. Then, as more is investigated and more information is released to reporters, the initial reports will change. After having looked at several accounts written by people who were there, I personally don't think it was an attempt at a cover-up, although that has been speculated by some. I think it was just an overwhelming task that got worse and worse as they got deeper into it.

yeah, I was the same age but I remember seeing some things about it....I remember that red shirt and sun glasses Jones wore but didnt realize that was his last day living. He always reminded me of a Elvis....back then they were both greasy bloated aging men with dyed black hair.
    I remember that the pictures of Jim Jones scared me. There was something about his eyes that looked evil.

Lisamarie Guest
    I know and apparently women loved him!!!

I know and apparently women loved him!!!
    Even as a kid, Jones scared me. He still looks evil in those pics and as I look at them as an adult, he looks greasy and kind of like a thug. Totally unattractive. Jones looked like the type of guy who would have polyester pants in all kinds of colors, even those ugly-ass plaids that used to be popular.

He'd have turned me off as soon as he opened his mouth and started telling me how great he was. The man had an ego the size of Texas + Alaska. Not attractive to me. Ugh.

Even as a kid, Jones scared me. He still looks evil in those pics and as I look at them as an adult, he looks greasy and kind of like a thug. Totally unattractive. Jones looked like the type of guy who would have polyester pants in all kinds of colors, even those ugly-ass plaids that used to be popular.

Yes, to have died in the 70's: always frozen in time in those ugly clothes

Seagorath Guest
    Every single FAD woman on this board would love to sit on this man's face...admit it!

That tie is freakin' 3D and psychedelic!

Talking

AAAGH! My eyes! Damn, what was he on to combine that tie with the jacket from hell? LMAO! Good find, baroque1.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Castellano View Post
    He'd have turned me off as soon as he opened his mouth and started telling me how great he was. The man had an ego the size of Texas + Alaska. Not attractive to me. Ugh.
    That would've closed the deal for me, too, so to speak. If he'd tried his famous 'dying from insulin shock' routine he used on his family, I would've walked away and told him to heal himself.

Every single FAD woman on this board would love to sit on this man's face...admit it!
    All right, Seagorath, you get to come to my house and clean up the vomit!

Not any of us single and Gay women...barf.

Lisamarie Guest
    ummmmm he is kidding right ??

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Not any of us single and Gay women...barf.
    I'd bet none of the straight ones too.

Seagorath Guest
    What's really funny is that my uncle looks just like the man...except he's about 6-5 and has silver hair...but has the same jawline and eyes.

LOL Hopefully he has a better personality!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'd bet none of the straight ones too.
    Amen to that!

hoxharding Guest

hey want to see the high school that Jim Jones went to?