Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Rev. Jim Jones and the People's Temple

Seagorath Guest
    Stephen seems VERY well-adjusted and I think he 'processed' all that madness well. His son is also a collegiate basketball player I think.

The one that sometimes haunts me in my sleep is that freakin' Sharon Amos...she was an absolutely indescribable nutcase...I won't even mention what she did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY3cx3U0gYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMd2VGMYC9g

Quote Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
    His son Stephan appears to be amazingly well adjusted from what I saw on that "Jonestown:Lost Paradise" documentary. Also, Stephan's son (Jim Jones grandson) Rob, is a basketball player at the University of San Diego.

Seagorath Guest

lisalouver Guest
    This happened when I was 10 years old.

I really remember it.

Horrible.

The way they mowed down Congressman Ryan (still the only Congressman to be killed in teh line of duty) and those who wanted to leave.

Jackie Speir, a representative now for CA was with Ryan when he went to Guyana with a film crew from NBC was shot five times in the ambush.

The smell had to have been horrible from the dead.

Cupcake Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post

I really remember it.

Horrible.

The way they mowed down Congressman Ryan (still the only Congressman to be killed in teh line of duty) and those who wanted to leave.

Jackie Speir, a representative now for CA was with Ryan when he went to Guyana with a film crew from NBC was shot five times in the ambush.

I too was around 10. It really "affected" me to the point that I read any and all info on it. I was just really fascinated by the whole scenerio. I ended up doing a school report on it and got an A for it. I have been a Death Hag for a very long time...

Cupcake

Layla331 Guest
    atheism is about your belief in God.not about Religion...lets face it religion and faith are 2 completely different things...religion is an orgnization of said belief..faith is that belief alone and thats all you need..no one has to have a religion...and no religion is perfect and some are down right nasty...but you dont have to have a religion to have a belief in God..not that im judging either way..to me ill take a good hearted atheist over a mean souled "christian" any day lol...

it always seems its the souls that need that "family like religion structure" that seem to get hurt with all these weird ones...and its always good people...thats the saddest part...good hearted good souled people who just want love and what they feel is right...this was a really heartbreaking part of history that i didnt know that much about ..you guys can be real eye openers

hoxharding Guest
    His wife is buried in the local cemetery

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I was in 4th grade when that happened. I wouldn't touch Kool-Aide for months after that!
    OH MY..........LMAOOOOOOO.........

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla331 View Post
    atheism is about your belief in God.not about Religion...lets face it religion and faith are 2 completely different things...religion is an orgnization of said belief..faith is that belief alone and thats all you need..no one has to have a religion...and no religion is perfect and some are down right nasty...but you dont have to have a religion to have a belief in God..not that im judging either way..to me ill take a good hearted atheist over a mean souled "christian" any day lol...

it always seems its the souls that need that "family like religion structure" that seem to get hurt with all these weird ones...and its always good people...thats the saddest part...good hearted good souled people who just want love and what they feel is right...this was a really heartbreaking part of history that i didnt know that much about ..you guys can be real eye openers

Excellant post..........love can be easy......hate even easier.........but to have complete faith in something, or someone, now that is the hardest thing of all........

Guest Guest
    wow.......... talk about FALSE prophet....... scary......

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cobbius View Post
    Ok, here's my brush with death. My mom dated Jim Jones in High School (Richmond HS in Richmond Indiana). She went to Homecoming with him their Junior year. I can't help but wonder, if they had gotten married, and I was the child, her and I would have been in that whole mess. Scary stuff. It's scary enough to think that she was alone with the freak back in the day, but, she said he was a perfect gentleman back in the 50's. Grew up on a farm in Lynn Indiana, and was quiet and religious. Ain't that always the type?!?!? I guess not back then. Who knew?

The cool thing is, he signed her yearbook, so I guess I have something collectable (to a death hag, anyway), huh?
    Did you ever think that them breaking up is what caused him to become a crazed lunatic??... And that he never would have murdered all those people if they had stayed together.

Hey, I'm just saying.

Guest Guest
    God I just finished watching all of the documentary ..... I was born after it happened, but I always heard "don't drink the koolade".... it just breaks me... to imagine what that father felt knowing that he left his little boy behind to that fate....... I've seen alot of death and gory stuff..... but that wrenches my heart

hoxharding Guest
    I am not sure,but I think there is a picture of his wife's grave on a site-I will look for it.

James Thurman Jones was one of 10 children born to Randolph County native John Henry Jones and his second wife, a Wayne County native. James “Jim” Warren Jones was their only child.

As his senior year approached, Jones took a job as an orderly at Reid Hospital in Richmond.
    Margaret Anne Kaiser of Richmond graduated in 1949 with Jones.
    “I just remember seeing him. I didn’t have that much personal contact with him. I remember seeing him and knowing who he was,” Kaiser said.
    The Pierian yearbook for 1949 shows Jones’ senior photo and he also is captured with the members of Hi-Y in a winter sweater with a reindeer in the pattern.
    A Pierian from four years earlier shows the woman who would become his bride, Marceline Baldwin: “Always soft spoken.” Marceline went on to nursing school at Reid, where she met Jones.

The remains of Marceline Jones were returned home for burial at Earlham Cemetery, as were the remains of her two children. Her grandchildren were among those buried in a mass grave in California.
    However, the family chose not to create a final resting place for the Rev. Jim Jones. He was cremated on the East Coast and his ashes scattered in the Atlantic Ocean.

[SIZE=5]Marceline Baldwin Jones[/SIZE]Birth: 1927
    RichmondDeath: Nov. 18, 1978
    Jonestown
    Nurse and wife of Rev. Jim Jones (Protestant Minister and Cult Leader of 'The People's Temple').

Cause of death: Cyanide poisoning Burial:
    Earlham Cemetery
    Richmond
    Wayne County
    Indiana, USA
    Record added: Jan 30 2002

Cemetery Photo
    Added by: Amber N
    Last edited by hoxharding; 06-21-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Cupcake Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    They had no choice. There were gunman with rifles trainned on anyone that tried to escape and he ordered people to be killed that didn't drink the stuff. What I don't understand is why they didn't turn on Jim. I guess brainwashed means just that.
    My guess is that if I had found myself in that situation and I wasn't completely brainwashed, I would have pretended to drink it and proceed to lie on the floor....not saying that would work, but between being shot in the back 'cause I was trying to head for the hills, or die an aweful death, I would try to "fake" it.....after all I am a girl..

Cupcake

NOVSTORM Guest
    I remember the day all broke lose and they showed them killing the people that were trying to get on the plane. I knew that he was going to so something weird. I just never figured he could all those people to kill themselves.

Seagorath Guest

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    What the HELL????..... why would he want to do religon after what his dad did...... He lost his mom to it for crying out loud...

Guest Guest
    I can understand wanting to bring healing... but the New People's Temple!!!!.... should have come up with something totally different

Guest Guest
    "there will be no koolade"....." and anyone can leave whenever they want".. that right there was spooky

Guest Guest
    I love a good conspiracy theory but......?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFxBCob0MC0

hoxharding Guest
    Jones married Marceline, a nurse, with whom he had one biological son, Stephan Gandhi Jones.[44] Jim and Marcy Jones also were the first white couple in Indiana to adopt an African American child, James Warren Jones, Jr.[45]
    In addition, the couple adopted children from varied ethnic backgrounds, including three children of Korean-American ancestry (Lew, Suzanne and Stephanie) and a part Native American daughter (Agnes).[46][47] Jones referred to them as his rainbow family, and stated: "Integration is a more personal thing with me now. It's a question of my son's future."[48] The couple also adopted another son, Tim. [49]
    Stephan, Jim, Jr. and Tim did not take part in the mass suicide because they were in Georgetown playing with the Peoples Temple basketball team against the Guyanese national team.[50][43] Three days before the tragedy, Stephan refused over the radio to comply with an order by his father to return the team to Jonestown for Ryan's visit.[51]
    Lew and Agnes died in the tragedy at Jonestown.[52][53] Stephanie died at age 5 in a car accident.[54] After Suzanne left and turned against the Temple, Jim Jones referred to her openly as "my goddamned no good for nothing daughter" and stated she was not to be trusted.[55] In a signed note found at the time of her death, Marceline Jones directed that the Jones' funds were to be given to the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and specified that "I especially request that none of these are allowed to get into the hands of my adopted daughter, Suzanne Jones Cartmell."[56] Suzanne was not in Jonestown during the tragedy and died in November of 2006. [57]
    Jones also claimed to be the biological father of John Victor Stoen, although the birth certificate lists Timothy and Grace Stoen as the parents of the boy.[58] The Temple repeatedly claimed that Jones fathered the child when, in 1971, Tim Stoen had requested that Jones have sex with Grace Stoen to keep her from defecting.[59] The custody dispute over John Stoen would be the lynchpin of several battles between the Temple and the Concerned Relatives.[60] Specific references to Tim Stoen, including the logistics of possibly murdering him, are made on the Temple's final "death tape," as well as a discussion over whether the Temple should include John Stoen among those committing "revolutionary suicide."[38]
    Stephan is currently a businessman and family man who is married with three daughters. He appeared in the documentary Jonestown: Paradise Lost which aired on the History Channel and Discovery Channel. He stated he will not watch the documentary and that he does not mourn his father, only his mother Marceline.[61] Jim, Jr., who lost his wife and unborn child at Jonestown, returned to San Francisco. He remarried and has three sons from this marriage.[43]

There is no child named Levi here unless he changed it.
    Last edited by hoxharding; 06-22-2008 at 10:04 AM.

lisalouver Guest
    Marcy Jones and many others left notes near their bodies that were witnessed by other Temple members that all of thier money and goods were to go to the Communist Party in the USSR.

Anyone know what happened to any of Marcy or the others money?

I know that there were reported to be stacks of Social Security checks at the site of members that they gave to Jim?

The temple was supposed to be worth 26 million. What happend to all that money?

Same sunglasses as his dad...hmmmm.

"And it's just around the corner from the video store."

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Jones married Marceline, a nurse, with whom he had one biological son, Stephan Gandhi Jones.[44] Jim and Marcy Jones also were the first white couple in Indiana to adopt an African American child, James Warren Jones, Jr.[45]
    In addition, the couple adopted children from varied ethnic backgrounds, including three children of Korean-American ancestry (Lew, Suzanne and Stephanie) and a part Native American daughter (Agnes).[46][47] Jones referred to them as his rainbow family, and stated: "Integration is a more personal thing with me now. It's a question of my son's future."[48] The couple also adopted another son, Tim. [49]
    Stephan, Jim, Jr. and Tim did not take part in the mass suicide because they were in Georgetown playing with the Peoples Temple basketball team against the Guyanese national team.[50][43] Three days before the tragedy, Stephan refused over the radio to comply with an order by his father to return the team to Jonestown for Ryan's visit.[51]
    Lew and Agnes died in the tragedy at Jonestown.[52][53] Stephanie died at age 5 in a car accident.[54] After Suzanne left and turned against the Temple, Jim Jones referred to her openly as "my goddamned no good for nothing daughter" and stated she was not to be trusted.[55] In a signed note found at the time of her death, Marceline Jones directed that the Jones' funds were to be given to the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and specified that "I especially request that none of these are allowed to get into the hands of my adopted daughter, Suzanne Jones Cartmell."[56] Suzanne was not in Jonestown during the tragedy and died in November of 2006. [57]
    Jones also claimed to be the biological father of John Victor Stoen, although the birth certificate lists Timothy and Grace Stoen as the parents of the boy.[58] The Temple repeatedly claimed that Jones fathered the child when, in 1971, Tim Stoen had requested that Jones have sex with Grace Stoen to keep her from defecting.[59] The custody dispute over John Stoen would be the lynchpin of several battles between the Temple and the Concerned Relatives.[60] Specific references to Tim Stoen, including the logistics of possibly murdering him, are made on the Temple's final "death tape," as well as a discussion over whether the Temple should include John Stoen among those committing "revolutionary suicide."[38]
    Stephan is currently a businessman and family man who is married with three daughters. He appeared in the documentary Jonestown: Paradise Lost which aired on the History Channel and Discovery Channel. He stated he will not watch the documentary and that he does not mourn his father, only his mother Marceline.[61] Jim, Jr., who lost his wife and unborn child at Jonestown, returned to San Francisco. He remarried and has three sons from this marriage.[43]

There is no child named Levi here unless he changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post

I really remember it.

Horrible.

I was 22 years old. Whatever I was watching on TV was interupted with the news about Jonestown. I could not believe it, it was just so horrible. And my mother absolutely refused to believe it, at first, because she just could not wrap her mind around someone being that evil, especially a religious leader. Of couse, she changed her mind when she saw all those bodies.

I read everything I could get my hands on about it. There were so many signs that should have clued those people to what JJ really was. Before they went to Guyana, he faked his own death and then rose from the dead to prove he was God. Anyone who acts out like that is a scam artist. I can't believe intelligent folks would fall for that. But of course he brain washed them.

And it got worse at Jonestown, which was really nothing more than a glorified concentration camp, IMO. Working long hours, lack of sleep and sleep interupted by long winded rambling speeches, a diet of rice and water day in and day out, hot sun. That's how he did it. How else would anyone in their right mind fall for "Their going to kill us, so let's kill ourselves." WTF? Does that make sense to you?

Jim Jones was no more a Christian than the devil. He was a megamaniac with a God syndrome. A man who saw his kingdom crumbling and refused to go down on anyone's terms but his own--another power play--and he took 903 souls with him. He was the worst kind of coward.

I personally don't know what his ultimate aim was. We know that he either had someone shoot him or he shot himself. But I have oft wondered if he really meant to die that day with everyone else. I've wondered if he had an escape plan, but then someone shot him before he could run.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Lisamarie Guest
    those recording are just awful...how easily led and weak they sound when they just brow beat that poor lady....I mean she was just trying to say are we sure we have to do this this way and they just attack her like the idiots they are.To hear them gargling and coughing like that just sends chills down my spine and to think they put their children through that in the name of a false God....sick and sad and just goes to show how very easily led people can be....He chose a bunch of stupid people who wanted the best and ended up pawns in his game of power.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Anna and I saw Jim jones apartment last night on our tour. People will pay more for the apt when they find out he lived there On Halloween they wanted to hand out coolaid.

Lisamarie Guest
    lOL HAD TO LAUGH THATS FUNNY !!!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Anna and I saw Jim jones apartment last night on our tour. People will pay more for the apt when they find out he lived there On Halloween they wanted to hand out coolaid.
    LMAO...although I can see the humour in it, I am sure others would protest it in respect of the victims.

undertakeress Guest
    Was the guy ever sane at any point? Was it drugs that made him turn into a megalomaniac? The whole thing is fascinating, because there's not that many people that would convince over 900 to kill themselves and their children.

Seagorath Guest
    It was truly an "unspeakable act" in the annals of human history. It's difficult for ALL to comprehend how such an educated holy man in the modern era could go from such extremes in a 25 to 30 year period...from preachin' "faith and the gospel" in some small, wooden church...to murdering hundreds of WOMEN and CHILDREN in the jungles of Guyana.

Jim Jones lived in a world of extremes that is beyond anything I have ever known or witnessed. I've spoken to many people via the web who claimed to have known him when he was young...he was evidently pretty kind (at least on the surface) in the 50's and 60's. He baked cakes, helped the poor, fed the hungry, etc. His communist ties evidently go all the way back to 1951...which surprised me. I think he "lured people" by manipulating the human psychosis (knowing how/when to manipulate a person's weaknesses)...he knew how to boom his voice at the right time, compliment at the right time, seduce at the right time...and so on.

I just feel DAMN LUCK I didn't grow up in the People's Temple cult...and end up sipping the "nightmare" down in Guyana...How would I have enjoyed my Star Wars toys...

Quote Originally Posted by undertakeress View Post
    Was the guy ever sane at any point? Was it drugs that made him turn into a megalomaniac? The whole thing is fascinating, because there's not that many people that would convince over 900 to kill themselves and their children.

Lisamarie Guest
    he went insane on power I think...I read many reporta about his making woman sleep with himas young as 14 years old....his "followers"..whats creepy is how they all called him Dad or Father " we are happy to die for you dad" I just cannot get over that one poor lady who is the only one who is saying "do we have to do this"Is this" "the only answer?? And those bunch of assholes just jump her case!! And in the end she drank the koolaid....sick fucks....that audio is the freakiest thing in the world..just shows how ignorant people really are. And in the edn he took a bullet....no cyinide for him...

How disturbing. All of it. He definately had a "talent", so to speak. To get all those people to follow him and such. Because ain't NOBODY gonna tell me what or how to believe.

And the New People's Temple? Seriously?

Seriously freaking CREEPY.

Lisamarie Guest
    for real....what???

STORMIE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    My guess is that if I had found myself in that situation and I wasn't completely brainwashed, I would have pretended to drink it and proceed to lie on the floor....not saying that would work, but between being shot in the back 'cause I was trying to head for the hills, or die an aweful death, I would try to "fake" it.....after all I am a girl..

Cupcake

LOL!!! I was thinking the same thing!

CCdeathhag Guest

I did a school report on The People's Temple

I read that he did sleep with his "followers" Both men and women. He also told them they could only eat certain things. They sort of have this "holy" lifestyle. They could not drink soda or eat certain things so they could be 'closer' to God.

I am from the Bay Area, and every once in a while they would talk about it on the news they would always show an interview with a man who lost his whole family in Jamestown. He lived in Oakland, Ca. I can't remember his name but I am sure he is no longer with us. But it just hurt me to see him talk about it. To see how much it hurt him. And I can't get myself to listen to the audio, I can listen to just about anything but for some reason, the idea that I can listen to this horrible act just bothers me.

P.S. By the way, I got a B+ on my report about it.

Instill the greatest fear in people by using their children as an example and threat... This guy knew what exactly to say to people who thought that had no one and nothing else. They get drawn to what they think is a family and an answer. This guy knew how to prey on these people. Those who finally figured it out... it was probably too late.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

I'm doing a major presentation on this story for a class this fall, so I'm trying to collect as much info as I can right now. I was in high school when it happened, but I had just turned 18, and it was my senior year, and while I remember it, I didn't pay that much attention. I had never heard the "death tape" until someone posted a link in this thread. Out of all the gross things I've read, seen and heard, that is without a doubt the most disturbing. I can honestly say it gave me chills, and very few things can do that these days. Aside from the screaming from the children, which is bad enough, the creepy, distorted music just moves it from level eight creepiness to about level thirteen on a one-to-ten scale. Apparently a lot of people heard that and reported that there was music playing during the suicide, but at least one person analyzed it and discovered that the "death tape" was actually recorded on a tape that had contained music before then. When I read that, it all made sense, because if you ever used one of those cheap cassette recorders that we all had in the 70s you have probably experienced similar effects. I know I have.

I do have a question for all you people who are much better investigators than me--has anyone EVER seen photos of abandoned Jonestown online? I have searched until my fingers are exhausted and haven't found any. I have read several accounts of groups who have visited the ruins, and they mentioned having cameras, but nobody seems to have scanned the pics and put them on the net. (Ahh...digital...I love you...) One person even mentioned that he saw a melted piano when he toured the ruins sometime after fire destroyed most of the buildings. Dang it, I wanna see!
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

Seagorath Guest
    Hey! I've done extensive research on Jim Jones and the People's Temple (wrote a paper on it in college)...This is the BEST book on planet earth about the events leading up to the EVENT...

http://www.amazon.com/Suicide-Cult-I.../dp/0553129201

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Castellano View Post
    I'm doing a major presentation on this story for a class this fall, so I'm trying to collect as much info as I can right now. I was in high school when it happened, but I had just turned 18, and it was my senior year, and while I remember it, I didn't pay that much attention. I had never heard the "death tape" until someone posted a link in this thread. Out of all the gross things I've read, seen and heard, that is without a doubt the most disturbing. I can honestly say it gave me chills, and very few things can do that these days. Aside from the screaming from the children, which is bad enough, the creepy, distorted music just moves it from level eight creepiness to about level thirteen on a one-to-ten scale. Apparently a lot of people heard that and reported that there was music playing during the suicide, but at least one person analyzed it and discovered that the "death tape" was actually recorded on a tape that had contained music before then. When I read that, it all made sense, because if you ever used one of those cheap cassette recorders that we all had in the 70s you have probably experienced similar effects. I know I have.

I do have a question for all you people who are much better investigators than me--has anyone EVER seen photos of abandoned Jonestown online? I have searched until my fingers are exhausted and haven't found any. I have read several accounts of groups who have visited the ruins, and they mentioned having cameras, but nobody seems to have scanned the pics and put them on the net. (Ahh...digital...I love you...) One person even mentioned that he saw a melted piano when he toured the ruins sometime after fire destroyed most of the buildings. Dang it, I wanna see!

Mrs F Guest
    What a horrifying man.

NOVSTORM Guest
    He also had them sell their homes which were in about the 100000.00 dollar range and sell stocks everything they had to give it to him. I have never understood how people who can make all this money can be so naive?

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Hey! I've done extensive research on Jim Jones and the People's Temple (wrote a paper on it in college)...This is the BEST book on planet earth about the events leading up to the EVENT...

http://www.amazon.com/Suicide-Cult-I.../dp/0553129201
    Thanks! The most amazing thing happened earlier this evening. I kept thinking, "Surely I have a JJ book on this true crime shelf somewhere..." And lo and behold, I did, and it was this book! I was reading it a while ago and making all kinds of notes to myself of things I want to address in my presentation. So thanks for telling me it's a good one, because I didn't know how trustworthy the info would be!
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

pull the string!

what an amazing recording! they were convinced they had to die, they were willing victims. the screams of the children omg! what cruel insanity. the man was evil incarnate. all those souls!!!! i thank goodness this recording was made for posterity sake.
    pull the string!

Seagorath Guest
    Great! Yea, that book is incredibly descriptive and doesn't leave anything out...I almost felt like I was there while reading that book.

'Seductive Poison' is also a good book (written by former Peoples Temple member Debbie Layton)...Layton was "high up" in the Peoples Temple hierarchy, and was sexually abused (and mentally warped) by Jim Jones.

http://www.amazon.com/Seductive-Pois.../dp/0385489846

Thanks! The most amazing thing happened earlier this evening. I kept thinking, "Surely I have a JJ book on this true crime shelf somewhere..." And lo and behold, I did, and it was this book! I was reading it a while ago and making all kinds of notes to myself of things I want to address in my presentation. So thanks for telling me it's a good one, because I didn't know how trustworthy the info would be!

Quoting myself in this older thread so you don't have to read back up the posts to know what I'm talking about. I found a short series at YouTube that is video of a group who went to Jonestown 25 years after the tragedy. The video quality isn't great, but it's very interesting the things they uncover. So if you're into old artifacts and urban exploration, like me, you might find this interesting. The videos are called "Visit to Jonestown" and you should find all parts of them on this page:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...&search=Search

Wow...what a morning here at work. A guy I've worked with for probably the last year, who was in the Army Rangers, all of the sudden mentioned how when he was in the service back then, him and his squad were sent down there to do the clean up.

When he first arrived there, a lot of the bodies were already in these black body bags, but at first he thought they were big pillows, since the bodies had been bloating up inside of them - from decomposition and the heat.

He also said how he had seen the note of "written instructions" on what Jim Jones wanted done.

Apparently everyone was supposed to shoot each other, and the last one at the end of the line was a school teacher - killed herself.

He's got a bunch of pictures he took out there and I told him I'd love to see them, but he won't let me see them since they're pretty gruesome. Keep in mind him and his buddies didn't get there until 4-5 days after it all happened - so all those bodies were pretty "ripe" by then.

It took them all 3 weeks to get it all cleaned up and all the bodies out of there.

He said while he was out there, he found a a Oyster gold watch (worth about $12,000) laying in the dirt with the inscription "Martha" on the back of it. He kept as a souvenir, along with the photos he took and whatever else he found.

He said there wasn't any money laying around - but even if there were, either those who escaped took it, or the Guyanese soldiers who got their first.

I thought it was so cool now knowing someone who was actually there!

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Wow...what a morning here at work. A guy I've worked with for probably the last year, who was in the Army Rangers, all of the sudden mentioned how when he was in the service back then, him and his squad were sent down there to do the clean up.

When he first arrived there, a lot of the bodies were already in these black body bags, but at first he thought they were big pillows, since the bodies had been bloating up inside of them - from decomposition and the heat.

He also said how he had seen the note of "written instructions" on what Jim Jones wanted done.

Apparently everyone was supposed to shoot each other, and the last one at the end of the line was a school teacher - killed herself.

He's got a bunch of pictures he took out there and I told him I'd love to see them, but he won't let me see them since they're pretty gruesome. Keep in mind him and his buddies didn't get there until 4-5 days after it all happened - so all those bodies were pretty "ripe" by then.

It took them all 3 weeks to get it all cleaned up and all the bodies out of there.

He said while he was out there, he found a a Oyster gold watch (worth about $12,000) laying in the dirt with the inscription "Martha" on the back of it. He kept as a souvenir, along with the photos he took and whatever else he found.

He said there wasn't any money laying around - but even if there were, either those who escaped took it, or the Guyanese soldiers who got their first.

I thought it was so cool now knowing someone who was actually there!
    Interesting !!!!!

One thing about those bodies...if they were all lying around for a few days after the suicides..being in a jungle I am sure the heat played a role on the conditions of the bodies but I winoder if any of the bodies were...eaten by critters? Snakes, spiders, lions and so forth...

And those who escaped...I can imagine running into the jungle only to encounter a huge 12 foot snake or something. I have to wonder how many died because of that?

Lisamarie Guest
    they have a lot on youtube Im going through now..my friday night is set....I still just think its so creepy...I wonder if the area is haunted..let me tell you thats a place I would not wanna be at night....so many people killed in such awful way..and the poor kids man....they had no choice in the matter....to hear them choking and gurgling is just beyong aful and I really think as this mass suffering was going on all around him he was in his element....he sounds so at ease as his followers choke to death all around him.....

Wow, Aries, that is so interesting! Keep working on your buddy about those pictures. I tried looking at Jonestown on google earth, and it's so disappointing, you can't really see anything but clouds. I guess the jungle truly has swallowed up whatever was left.

lisalouver Guest
    Aries, that is really cool that you have someone with you at work who was there!

Decomp in the heat would be worse, although a lot of the pictures that were taken (including the ones on the cover of Newsweek) were not that bad. I need to take another look. I know a lot of them laid face down to die.

My Dad remembers hearing somewhere that there were stacks of Social Security checks that were found that the followers had given to Jones and had never been cashed.