Thread: Pigeon Man Joseph Zeman Killed

SistaSara Guest

Pigeon Man Joseph Zeman Killed

'Pigeon man' struck, killed by van

Joseph Zeman sits with his feathered friends. (Tribune file photo / September 2, 2004)

Tribune staff report December 19, 2007

A Chicago man widely known as "the Pigeon Man of Lincoln Square" was struck and killed by a van Tuesday afternoon on the Far North Side.

Joseph Zeman, 77, whose love of and attentiveness toward pigeons was detailed in a 2004 Tribune article, was hit by a 1992 Chevrolet van at Devon Avenue and McCormick Road about 2:15 p.m., police said.

Zeman of the 2100 block of West Arthur Avenue was pronounced dead at 3:21 p.m. in St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.

The van was "exiting a parking lot, made a right turn, did not see him and struck him," said Sgt. Antonio Baio of the Chicago police major accident investigation unit.

He said a laminated copy of the Tribune article was found with Zeman, and a witness recognized him.

Zeman used to sit for hours on a fire hydrant near Lawrence and Western Avenues with dozens of pigeons perched on his head, shoulders and legs.

"Soon as I take a seat, they want to be loved and kissed like a mama's baby," Zeman was quoted in the Tribune article. "Like I'm their father, and they're my child."

The driver of the van, a Chicago man, 68, was ticketed for striking a pedestrian in the roadway/failure to exercise due care, negligent driving and driving an unsafe vehicle, Baio said.

Man, what a way to go, poor guy...

The pigeons are going to miss him...

SuckMyKiss Guest
    How had he not died from a disease before this? Pigeons are flying rats. They have all kindsa icky diseases. It was sad that he died, but I really wish people would not feed pigeons like that, they need to be culled. The pigeons, not the people who feed them. That would just be wrong.

Kathyf Guest
    Sad he died that way.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Very sad story.

Pigeons are icky.

Jazbabee Guest
    What a bummer !!