Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Andy Gibb

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by walts_loving_wife View Post
    Ya"ll are WRONG! Funny as hell..but wrong
    If being snarky is wrong, then I don't wanna be right

everlastinglove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexa View Post
    My dissatisfaction with Victoria Principal isn't as much about what she did after the break up, but the fact that she got involved with Andy in the first place. She was the older, more experienced person, and she should have known better. She knew of Andy's fascination with her and it went to her head. Instead of thinking of his welfare, she chose to nurse her own ego by allowing Andy to be caught up intoxicatedly in their sordid "romance". She knew Andy was an "innocent". His family knew it. But the Plastic Wonder needed a toyboy to boost her ego, never mind what it do to him.
    Amen sister! I don't blame VP for Andy's death--but I do remember reading about their relationship in the early 80's, and I do remember VP was NOT as much in love with Andy as he was with her (despite any later protests she may have made to the contrary).

Even at the beginning of their relationship, in an interview, she said something to the effect that she "anticipated she would enjoy his company for a time." Not forever, not even long-term, just "for a time." Which could have been 13 months... or 30 seconds!

Meanwhile Andy was dreaming of marriage and children and "Everlasting Love" with this woman. I think that may be another reason his family was disgusted with her. They probably knew she was Just Not That Into Him.
    Last edited by everlastinglove; 05-26-2012 at 10:07 PM.

I saw Andy Gibb in concert in Boston in 1978, I was 13 years old. I also had a huge poster of him in my bedroom. When I went to his concert I was amazed at how short he was . I became a little disenchanted with him in the later 80s when he kept getting fired from various jobs, like Joseph and his Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat and Solid Gold. But when he died I felt very sad.

From what I've heard, he was a very sweet, kind person he just had a big monkey on his back (or up his nose). They did a Behind the Music either on him or the Bee Gees and I remember one of the brothers talking about how before Andy died he had started drinking. He was living on Barry's estate in England in a guest house and he'd get drunk and fall down the stairs. He had done it so many times that he knocked all his teeth out. Then shortly after he was taken to the hospital where his heart gave out after all the abuse he put his body through.

Overall, I just think his death was just sad.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

I've always loved Andy and always will. As sweet and adorable as he was, the poor guy never really had a chance, as according to his mother, he never really matured mentally or emotionally past age 17. It didn't help that he grew up in the Bee Gees fame machine and his parents allowed him to drop out of school at age 13 to pursue a music career. The end for him was very, very sad.....he had gone to England to stay in a cottage on Robin's estate to write music for a new comeback contract with Island Records.....Robin did say that Andy had started drinking again (very heavily), fell down and knocked out his front teeth. Poor guy...with all his talent and good looks, he was extremely insecure and had zero confidence in himself. I'll never forget where I was and what I was doing when I heard about his death on March 10, 1988.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    I've always loved Andy and always will. As sweet and adorable as he was, the poor guy never really had a chance, as according to his mother, he never really matured mentally or emotionally past age 17. It didn't help that he grew up in the Bee Gees fame machine and his parents allowed him to drop out of school at age 13 to pursue a music career. The end for him was very, very sad.....he had gone to England to stay in a cottage on Robin's estate to write music for a new comeback contract with Island Records.....Robin did say that Andy had started drinking again (very heavily), fell down and knocked out his front teeth. Poor guy...with all his talent and good looks, he was extremely insecure and had zero confidence in himself. I'll never forget where I was and what I was doing when I heard about his death on March 10, 1988.
    I remember too. I was in bed and my mother came running into my room to tell me that she heard on the news that Andy Gibb died. I remember it was in the morning. One heck of a way to wake up!

He was my first childhood crush who died.

I didn't know that about him never really maturing past 17. He did a lot in his life though, he got married young, had a child, had a signing career etc...

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    I remember too. I was in bed and my mother came running into my room to tell me that she heard on the news that Andy Gibb died. I remember it was in the morning. One heck of a way to wake up!

He was my first childhood crush who died.

I didn't know that about him never really maturing past 17. He did a lot in his life though, he got married young, had a child, had a signing career etc...
    Here's a pic of Andy's ex-wife Kim and his daughter Peta at her 2009 wedding. She and her hubby Matthew now have two boys- a toddler and a very young infant. Amazing how fast the time goes by.....I think Peta was born when Andy was 19. It's a shame that he never really knew her at all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

So weird that I saw this thread today, since the other day I started replaying andy's music on my iphone at work. When I was a kid, I loved the guy, thought he was
    really cool sweet guy. Was really sad to have heard he died and how his life was so messed up.

My very favorite pic of Andy (age 26) circa 1984 (American Music Awards).....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

everlastinglove Guest
    Here's one of my favorite pix of Andy...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Andy35.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	42015

And another, of an older Andy:

Name:	C1j8AgoUU4S__SL600_.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	42016

So sad that a man with so much going for him--looks, talent, a loving and supportive family, a year and a half of sobriety--turned back to alcohol in the last few months of his life to self-medicate for depression. He was under the care of a psychiatrist for a while after his breakup with VP... maybe if he'd continued with therapy, he could have gotten the help he needed for the depression.

Quote Originally Posted by everlastinglove View Post
    Here's one of my favorite pix of Andy...

Name:	Andy35.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	42015

And another, of an older Andy:

Name:	C1j8AgoUU4S__SL600_.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	42016

So sad that a man with so much going for him--looks, talent, a loving and supportive family, a year and a half of sobriety--turned back to alcohol in the last few months of his life to self-medicate for depression. He was under the care of a psychiatrist for a while after his breakup with VP... maybe if he'd continued with therapy, he could have gotten the help he needed for the depression.

Love those pics too! Great post....every word is so true....thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lisalouver Guest
    Here's a pic of Andy's ex-wife Kim and his daughter Peta at her 2009 wedding. She and her hubby Matthew now have two boys- a toddler and a very young infant. Amazing how fast the time goes by.....I think Peta was born when Andy was 19. It's a shame that he never really knew her at all.

Which one is Andys ex wife, the one in white next to the bride?

everlastinglove Guest
    Yep, that's Kim Reeder-Gibb standing next to Peta.

Andy apparently maintained regular contact with Kim and Peta by telephone, even though he had only the one visit with Peta when she was two. According to Andy's mother, he would have liked to have had more contact, but as long as he was drinking and using, Kim's family wouldn't allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Which one is Andys ex wife, the one in white next to the bride?
    Yes Lisa- that's Kim Reeder Gibb. Here's a pic of her with Andy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

He was a sexy beast, but I think he was shitty to his kid. I understand the Mother not allowing a relationship when drugs came on the scene, but before then it seems as though he wasn't really interested. More interested in becoming a star.

It is my understanding that when people become addicts or abusing alcohol that their mind gets "stuck" at that mentality forever. I really do believe that - my Ex-Husband is/was a drunkard who has NEVER grown up.
    My Posse's On Broadway

lisalouver Guest
    Kim didnt look like Andys "type" from the pictures.

Was it a short lived romance? I am too lazy to google

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Kim didnt look like Andys "type" from the pictures.

Was it a short lived romance? I am too lazy to google
    IIRC, they dated for about two years while living in Australia. Andy proposed to Kim so she would come with him to the U.S. and they married in July 1976- he was 18 and she was 19. The marriage was short lived though- Andy was immediately immersed in the fame game and Kim would not tolerate the drugs, etc., so she went back to Australia (pregnant) less than a year later- Peta was born in January 1978. Both ladies are professionals in the world of dog breeding and showing in Australia.

Kim never demanded anything from Andy financially except money for their daughter's education, which he did. Through all the years after the divorce, Kim and Andy stayed in touch and would talk on the phone for hours on end- before he died, he had been planning to visit Peta with Kim's full approval. Many people have said she was the only link to reality that he ever really had in his short life.
    Last edited by Cynful; 05-01-2012 at 05:23 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

everlastinglove Guest
    Many people have said she was the only reality that he ever really knew in his short life.
    I think she was also one of the very few women who truly loved Andy--not Andy Gibb the pop star, but Andy Gibb the person. Unlike VP, she was clearly not with him for the publicity. When his personal life in the early 80's was splashed all over the tabloids, with VP trashing him every chance she got, Kim kept quiet. She rarely granted (and still rarely grants) interviews. On the rare occasions when she has been interviewed, she's made a point of saying what Andy was like BEFORE the drugs took hold--a sweet, gentle guy with a great sense of humor.

I can imagine it must have been very hard for her to leave him--based on my own experience and my mother's experience. Mom left her third husband (my then-stepfather) when he wouldn't stop drinking; I broke off a long-term friendship with someone who was also in active addiction, when it became clear to me this person's behavior was jeopardizing my own sobriety. (I'm a recovering alcoholic, sober for 10 years now.)

Neither Mom nor I were out ice-skating with a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon within a few weeks, BTW; it took about a year for Mom's life to get back to a "new normal," and even then, I know she grieved when her ex-husband died a few years after that. I've undone most of the damage from that toxic friendship I had--but it's taken more time and more therapy sessions than I care to reveal. All I will say is that I've done a lot more growing up in the time since then, than in all the years of my life before that.

I think she was also one of the very few women who truly loved Andy--not Andy Gibb the pop star, but Andy Gibb the person. Unlike VP, she was clearly not with him for the publicity. When his personal life in the early 80's was splashed all over the tabloids, with VP trashing him every chance she got, Kim kept quiet. She rarely granted (and still rarely grants) interviews. On the rare occasions when she has been interviewed, she's made a point of saying what Andy was like BEFORE the drugs took hold--a sweet, gentle guy with a great sense of humor.

I can imagine it must have been very hard for her to leave him--based on my own experience and my mother's experience. Mom left her third husband (my then-stepfather) when he wouldn't stop drinking; I broke off a long-term friendship with someone who was also in active addiction, when it became clear to me this person's behavior was jeopardizing my own sobriety. (I'm a recovering alcoholic, sober for 10 years now.)

Neither Mom nor I were out ice-skating with a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon within a few weeks, BTW; it took about a year for Mom's life to get back to a "new normal," and even then, I know she grieved when her ex-husband died a few years after that. I've undone most of the damage from that toxic friendship I had--but it's taken more time and more therapy sessions than I care to reveal. All I will say is that I've done a lot more growing up in the time since then, than in all the years of my life before that.
    WORD in your first paragraph.....I have really enjoyed your posts.

You and your mom are obviously very strong ladies with a great sense of confidence in yourselves....so happy that both of your lives are better after all y'all have been through.

BTW, I LOVE your screen name.....as I'm sure you know, it's on Andy's marker at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That is very sweet about Kim, Andy's ex. I'm glad he had a dose of reality in his life. It kind of remind's me of Freddy Mercury's ex girlfriend, Mary Austin. They maintained their close relationship (friendship) right up until he died. She even cared for him when he was dying. I know he left his house and a huge chunk of his fortune to her as well.

Probably Andy and Kim had a similar situation as Freddy and Mary. Sounds like Kim has a good head on her shoulders and is a decent person who wasn't interested in the fame or the money.

everlastinglove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    Being that Andy was under Bankruptcy when he died, I couldn't imagine he had anything left to give his daughter.

I am thinking he probably did not have a will because he was so young. I am thinking that maybe the Brothers had been sending her money, but I am not sure.
    I do know Peta (credited on the Mythology box set as Peta Jaye Reeder Gibb) owns the rights to all of Andy's songs...even the songs Barry wrote.

Starstruck Guest
    Gosh he looked so young

everlastinglove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    I did read in another thread that Marie and Andy were very much in love and wanted to be together, but her family put their foot down. He wasn't Morman, he was divorced with a kid and rumor of his bad habits were their reasons. It pretty sad, you can watch some of their duets together on YouTube and you can really see how there were some spark there for sure.
    WORD--and I also agree that maybe things would've turned out better for both of them if Marie's family had minded their own business. For those who haven't seen Andy and Marie's duets on YouTube, here's a couple if you really want to see some sparks fly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neycPuntcYY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lGH2evXX4g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyR81EQXisM

WORD--and I also agree that maybe things would've turned out better for both of them if Marie's family had minded their own business. For those who haven't seen Andy and Marie's duets on YouTube, here's a couple if you really want to see some sparks fly:

Sad Sad Sad - maybe he woulda led a "cleaner" life had they been together - who knows...
    My Posse's On Broadway

I've always wondered if it really was true that Marie lost her virginity to Andy as it said in this unauthorized book. Hmmmmm.....some things we will just never know for sure. There were definitely sparks between these two.

http://www.helloarticle.com/unauthor...shed-r6246.htm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

philbert_wormly Guest

She sure did not sing that way with Donny, if you know what I am saying!

Sparks Andy Gibb and Marie had in those clips. WOW!

Seems to me it would be a rather nice act of Christian charity to welcome someone into the Osmond family who was in need of a bit of care and guidance. The ladies and gentlemen of the LDS all lead very clean cut lifestyles so maybe that could have helped Andy Gibb out a bit for all anyone should know.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by philbert_wormly View Post
    Seems to me it would be a rather nice act of Christian charity to welcome someone into the Osmond family who was in need of a bit of care and guidance. The ladies and gentlemen of the LDS all lead very clean cut lifestyles so maybe that could have helped Andy Gibb out a bit for all anyone should know.
    The standard solution for any problem to a Mormon is to get someone to become a Mormon. Her family would have been all over him to get him to join. In their eyes, they wouldn't have been truly married because they weren't able to get married in a Mormon temple. Only Mormons in good standing are allowed in.

If they had married against her family's wishes, they'd have had to live someplace FAR from her family in Utah.

everlastinglove Guest
    <ahem>

Before this gets into a long discussion on religion, here's a little something ("If I told you I worshipped my body, would you embrace my religion?") a lot of us Andy fans can believe in:

Name:	andy6693009.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	42183

Name:	AndyGibb3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	42184

*takes a number and gets into the LONG line of Andy fans who would've done him back in the day... if I'd only been of legal age....
    Last edited by everlastinglove; 05-26-2012 at 09:01 PM.

[QUOTE=everlastinglove;1285662]<ahem> Before this gets into a long discussion on religion, here's a little something ("If I told you I worshipped my body, would you embrace my religion?") a lot of us Andy fans can believe in:

Attachment 42181Attachment 42180

*takes a number and gets into the LONG line of Andy fans who would've done him back in the day... if I'd only been of legal age....[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah!!! (Taking a number too!!!) Amazing that Andy would have turned 54 this past March 5....just like Barry, he would still be hot, hot, hot!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For God's sakes i'm an idiot. Wrong brother.

Sorry about that.
    Last edited by RiotBoots; 05-20-2012 at 04:10 PM.

[QUOTE=Cynful;1285709]
    <ahem> Before this gets into a long discussion on religion, here's a little something ("If I told you I worshipped my body, would you embrace my religion?") a lot of us Andy fans can believe in:

Attachment 42181Attachment 42180

*takes a number and gets into the LONG line of Andy fans who would've done him back in the day... if I'd only been of legal age....[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah!!! (Taking a number too!!!) Amazing that Andy would have turned 54 this past March 5....just like Barry, he would still be hot, hot, hot!!!
    Amen! Got my number, too!
    I never wanted to see anybody die, but there are a few obituary notices I have read with pleasure. ~ Clarence Darrow

Elizabeth Guest
    Thinking of Andy today, upon Robin's death today.....

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    Thinking of Andy today, upon Robin's death today.....
    Me too.....Barry is now left as the last man standing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This poor family has had their fair share of deaths. Very sad. But like I said in the Robin Gibb thread, he's been reunited with his two other brothers. He fight hard and well. Now he can rest.

I've always wondered if it really was true that Marie lost her virginity to Andy as it said in this unauthorized book. Hmmmmm.....some things we will just never know for sure. There were definitely sparks between these two.

http://www.helloarticle.com/unauthor...shed-r6246.htm
    I never knew (or remembered) the Andy/Marie connection. I personally don't see how this could have worked out, but it's nice to think about.

everlastinglove Guest
    I don't believe it was VP's fault that Andy abused drugs...however...she did not help him by smearing him in the media every chance she got...fine honey, you left him because of it, leave it alone, but no...instead she would be asked about him and she would go into this whole "I was the love of his life but he loved drugs more than me" spiel..."this one time he did this...and another time he did that" If she truly cared about him she would have left him alone and not publicly rubbed it in his face every chance she got...
    WORD +1000! Kim and Marie--who I think truly did care about Andy--weren't trashing him to the tabloids. VP has flat-out lied since then, saying she chose to remain silent in the aftermath of the breakup. But poor Andy felt compelled to defend himself in an interview with the National Enquirer in 1982 or '83.

I'll go out on a limb here--in light of some of the things he said in that interview--and say Andy's drug use was VP's excuse for leaving him... but maybe not the real reason. Apparently she met Harry Glassman (whom she dated after the breakup, and later married) while still involved with Andy. And her "I left Andy because of the drugs" spiel just comes off as hypocritical when you consider that she was using too... and when she and Andy mutually agreed to go off cocaine at one point, she couldn't keep her end of the bargain any more than he could.

I guess we will never really know... Maybe she thought she could "shame" him into quitting the drugs. Back then they didn't have all the info out there that we do now.

As for her using too - the degree of her drug use could have been way different from his. I mean I left my first husband because he was an alcoholic (still is), but I like to have a drink every now and then.

Did my ex choose his booze over me - yep he sure did and he regrets it, but he still has his booze...
    My Posse's On Broadway

everlastinglove Guest
    I do see what you're saying--I'm just coming from a different angle here, I guess.

As a recovering addict myself, I know only too well how harmful an addiction can be to your judgment. In my case, I made some spectacularly bad decisions in my personal life (the toxic friendship mentioned upthread, as well as a four-year, on-again-off-again, emotionally abusive romantic relationship) when I was drinking.

My ex wasn't an addict, but most certainly was a kind of person the world would be better off without: a liar, a cheater, a thief, and a user. I put up with it because I didn't think I deserved any better; I had self-esteem issues too.

I kicked that relationship to the curb around the same time I dumped the toxic friend. I'd been sober 14 months by then. It took that long for me to listen to what some of the other people in my life had been telling me about my now-ex, and to realize that a lot had been going on that would have been "zero-tolerance" offenses if alcohol hadn't clouded my judgment.

So sad that Andy's judgment was so impaired by booze and cocaine that he couldn't see what the people in his life who truly loved him could. They knew he was obsessed with Victoria and that the relationship would probably end in tears.

PurrPurr Guest
    Happy 55th birthday to Andy today.

Wendy A. Guest
    Hard to believe he'd be 55! I always loved him. I remember seeing him on Solid Gold back in the 70's when I was 5. I told my aunt I was gonna marry him! She laughed and told me I had great taste! I can remember exactly where I was when I heard of his death..I was 16 and driving in my car.. RIP Andy.

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    Hard to believe he'd be 55! I always loved him. I remember seeing him on Solid Gold back in the 70's when I was 5. I told my aunt I was gonna marry him! She laughed and told me I had great taste! I can remember exactly where I was when I heard of his death..I was 16 and driving in my car.. RIP Andy.
    It's even harder to believe he'll be gone 25 years this coming Sunday.

Wendy A. Guest
    He's one of those guys that I'll forever wonder about what they could have been...

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    He's one of those guys that I'll forever wonder about what they could have been...
    Many others probably feel the same...especially now that he'd been a grandfather.

Elizabeth Guest
    Still miss Andy after all these years.....and wonder what would have been.....

I bet poor Barry is having a tough day today.....

Is their mom Barbara still alive?

PurrPurr Guest
    I think their mother is in her 90's now.

Found this clip on You tube tonight, wonder if it was one of his last tv appearances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS4JuKvHCNg

IAmMe Guest

ag

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Do you think he died of a broken heart? He fell apart when Victoria Principal left him.
    No, he died of a virus that affects the heart. His heart may have been compromised by his previous drug use but children, otherwise healthy, have also died of myocarditis.
    Andy and that woman had been apart for years. He always felt deeply for everyone. She was no exception just undeserving.

IAmMe Guest

I saw these

Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    Let's not forget my teen love god (and my I-am-36-and-still-love-him god) RICK SPRINGFIELD! sigh.................

https://www.google.com/search?source...le.XAX3PGClogc

IAmMe Guest

ag

Quote Originally Posted by Alexa View Post
    I've always been taught that if I can't say anything nice about someone, I should keep my mouth shut. That's my policy on Ms VP. Let's just say she wasn't my favorite person on DALLAS even before she hooked up with Andy - and she was old enough to know better!
    Andy was much like his oldest brother who just happened to be married to a Linda Gray If the Linda Gray wasn't married, he probably would have went for her and it couldn't have been worse than what he got.
    He was a sweet and had a child-like charm. He was just 23 when they were together and that woman was in her mid 30s. Those were also the days when youth was still somewhat innocent without the use of the information super highway and the bar being incredibly low.

That crazy woman still hasn't learned that the world doesn't belong to her. She almost shot her maid and paid off the woman. It's a sad world when someone like Andy that had so much to contribute is gone but people like that woman that hide away because she's aged and any external beauty she ever may have had has faded just hides away and pulls guns on others is still around.
    I don't wish her head. I just see the situation as unbalanced.

IAmMe Guest

ag

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    Andy Gibb I believe died of some stomach cancer or disease if I remember right. I loved him. I still have 2 of the 8 track tapes I bought.
    He died of myocarditis. Years of drug use may have weakened his heart and then was a contributing factor but otherwise healthy children have died from it.

IAmMe Guest

ag

Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    I want to say this in the nicest way possible without sounding catting or mean. I watched the bio on Andy's life and saw where he broke up with Victoria and remarried but ended up dead because of his drug use. Now, I heard Victoria say that she was the love of his life but the drugs were more powerful that their love. I think that she was totally cruel because he had a widow and it was not Ms. Principal. Why would you say he loved you more than his wife at the time? I mean I just thought her comment was so distasteful and full of beans.
    He wasn't married when he died.
    That woman is delusional. Sam, his beloved dog, was the love of his life.