Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Gibb

Andy Gibb

Do you think he died of a broken heart? He fell apart when Victoria Principal left him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

atlantis Guest
    I think he died more of a nasty coke habit. He was awful young (what, 30?) She has always looked down her nose when mentioning his habit but I've read that she enjoyed it, too. He was a little before my time so I don't even really remember it. I just think/feel that.

Uh, I admit it, I was big on Andy Gibb and Shaum Cassidy when I was 13 years old - this was back in 1978! When they were "hot".

And I still like their music. I have their greatest hits on CD!

I think Victoria Principle is a bitch and broke his heart - altho she SAID they split up because of his drug use. I heard she did enough of her own!
    Maybe he was hogging it all - who knows...

atlantis Guest
    Aries, I have to say, I loooooooooooved Shaun Cassidy. I had a baby blue silk SC jacket that I proudly wore to school every day (2nd grade). One day, I told my teacher I was sick and she didn't believe me. Finally she got tired of me whining and told me to put my head down on my desk and be quiet. I promptly threw up all over my jacket. I had to throw it away. That bitch teacher...I'll never forget that.

zeeebear Guest

Andy Gibb

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Do you think he died of a broken heart? He fell apart when Victoria Principal left him.
    [SIZE=3]Have you visited his gravesite before[/SIZE]?

Damn you all. Now I have "Shadow Dancin" stuck in my head!

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    Aries, I have to say, I loooooooooooved Shaun Cassidy. I had a baby blue silk SC jacket that I proudly wore to school every day (2nd grade). One day, I told my teacher I was sick and she didn't believe me. Finally she got tired of me whining and told me to put my head down on my desk and be quiet. I promptly threw up all over my jacket. I had to throw it away. That bitch teacher...I'll never forget that.
    i loved shaun too, he played a concert in my hometown on my 10th birthday, i remember my mom & dad surprising me w/ tix!!!~ that's a pisser about the jacket~

candleinthewind Guest
    VP had a MAJOR coke habit too and the Gibb family would not allow her to come to the funeral. She showed up but was turned away.

Snoopy Guest
    I was totally in love with Andy Gibb and everything Bee Gees when I was a teen..I still think Victoria Principal deserted him when he needed her most..his brothers must have thought that also they banrred her from his funeral! I visited his grave in May man I just felt such a sense of loneliness there.

candleinthewind Guest
    Everything Man is the first 45 I ever bought. I also bought a magazine with a poster of Andy inside. When I looked at it I saw an open shirt with way too much chest hair for my 11 year old self and put it away in a panic.

Speaking of Cassidy brothers though, Shaun was cute but David was dreamy. I watched the Partridge Family when I was in first grade when it was still on network tv before syndication. Before you do the math, that makes me 40.
    Last edited by candleinthewind; 10-12-2007 at 05:12 AM. Reason: spelling errors

knothere Guest
    Aries65 now I feel my age lol n ur only 3 years older lol.
    Ya I liked Andy Gibb shame on Victoria. Well coke is bad.
    But when your family BANS sumone from the funeral cum on man.

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    Everything Man is the first 45 I ever bought. I also bought a magazine with a poster of Andy inside. When I looked at it I saw an open shirt with way too much chest hair for my 11 year old self and put it away in a panic.

Speaking of Cassidy brothers though, Shaun was cute but David was dreamy. I watched the Partridge Family when I was in first grade when it was still on network tv before syndication. Before you do the math, that makes me 40.
    Oh you are so right! LOL..let's not forget the other s from the 70's.. Donny Osmond..Bobby Sherman..god I'm feelin old right now!

atlantis Guest
    Let's not forget my teen love god (and my I-am-36-and-still-love-him god) RICK SPRINGFIELD! sigh.................

mommafreak Guest
    Wow, this sparked some memories. Andy Gibb, I can remember roller skating to his songs on Friday night. Shawn Cassidy was my first concert at Berkeley. I'm not sure on all the particulars of his "coke" habit, but VP should of reached out and helped him instead of say "scoot over and gimme some". Andy's brothers should of kidnapped him and took him to some remote island and got him through it. Help the baby brother.

attackatdawn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Uh, I admit it, I was big on Andy Gibb and Shaum Cassidy when I was 13 years old - this was back in 1978! When they were "hot".

LOL me too! Only I was 20 years old oops! I guess I just gave away my age!

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    Andy and Vic recorded an old Everly Bros song once.
    I forget which one.
    They sounded like The Chipmonks.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post
    Andy and Vic recorded an old Everly Bros song once.
    I forget which one.
    They sounded like The Chipmonks.
    Dream....dream dream dream...dream........Gah, it was pretty sucky.

knothere Guest
    ya the beegees shouda made their brother gibb cut the coke

Alexa Guest

Unhappy Missing Andy

I've always been taught that if I can't say anything nice about someone, I should keep my mouth shut. That's my policy on Ms VP. Let's just say she wasn't my favorite person on DALLAS even before she hooked up with Andy - and she was old enough to know better!

I do believe Andy had many demons he couldn't handle. One look at his astrological chart tells me so.

Unfortunately for Andy, his insecurities were larger than he was and I do believe that was the main reason for his poor choices: early marriage, early divorce, the drugs (everyone else is doing it and I want to be "in" - the usual reasons for young people trying drugs, sex, alcohol, cigarettes, whatever), unfortunate romantic entanglements, dropping out of school at a young age, and most of all, his fear of not succeeding. It comes across in so many of his interviews.

Ms VP was one of the nails in his coffin. I was proud of his brothers for turning her away from his funeral, but for Andy's sake, I'm glad she tried to attend - even if it was in poor taste.

We used to dance to Andy's music (and his brothers' too) at the local dance halls and still do. They have great dance music. Makes you just want to get up and MOVE. I was one of Andy's more "mature" fans, that's why I couldn't figure out how Ms VP could be with him knowing his many insecurities. Heck, you can see it in his performances! Why Ms VP didn't realize it is a total irresponsibility on her part.

Oops! I'm beginning to break my rule.

RoRo Guest
    OMG...ya'll are killin me!! I was sooo in love with Andy Gibb, Shaun Cassidy, Rick Springfield and here's a different one ( or ones) The Bay City Rollers! True child of the 70s here. I'm 42 and still breathing so I'm happy lol

candleinthewind Guest
    S-a-t-u-r-d-a-y!!!!!!!!!!

mommafreak Guest
    Night! I was a cheerleader in Jr. High and we did a cheer to Saturday Night. Love the Bay City Rollers. Google them and see what they are all doing today. Anyways, I loved Andy Gibb, had my blue satin jacket to match.

"Do it right, taking me thru the night...Shadow Dancing..."

All this talk of Andy Gibb, prompted me to pull out his greatest hits CD and play it in my car yesterday...thanks!

candleinthewind Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mommafreak View Post
    Night! I was a cheerleader in Jr. High and we did a cheer to Saturday Night. Love the Bay City Rollers. Google them and see what they are all doing today. Anyways, I loved Andy Gibb, had my blue satin jacket to match.
    Blue satin jacket! You are hard-core.

mommafreak Guest
    It took a lot of convincing of my mom to let me have it because it wasn't "practical". Can't mess with Andy Gibb and Leif Garrett and Shawn Cassidy.

Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    Blue satin jacket! You are hard-core.
    I had a blue satin jacket too. They were a "must have" in 1978!

candleinthewind Guest
    Travolta wore one on American Bandstand with his name embroidered on it. Let her in, whoa ooh.

Alexa Guest
    "Do it right, taking me thru the night...Shadow Dancing..."

All this talk of Andy Gibb, prompted me to pull out his greatest hits CD and play it in my car yesterday...thanks!
    Oh yeah!

I think my favorite line from his songs was "Let me show you mine" from After Dark. I nearly fell off my chair when I heard that for the first time. I mean, uh, he can show me his anytime. After his saying he wanted ME to be his everything, well, I was hooked or as they used to say back in 'the old days', I was a goner. What a guy!

RoRo Guest
    Andy was sexy as hell !! I still have his greatest hits too and listen often. I have looked up the Rollers and was very disappointed at how they have turned out, especially Derek. I met them waaaay back when and had Alan and Eric's autographs which have been lost to time, fun show though.

Daphne Guest
    OK.. have not read through this entire thread, but I also LOVED Andy Gibb (this was towards my older teen years), as well as Sean and David (swooooon! Partridge family) Cassidy, -- it was devesatating at the time to read that Andy died.. as far as the Cassidy's that's a different post altogether, but the bee gees were so incredible, and to have the youngest and the 70's bee gee icon die was difficult.. I will agree that it was due to drugs.
    Last edited by Daphne; 10-16-2007 at 08:08 PM.

Snoopy Guest
    Oh I just wanted him to be my everything! LOL *whispers* I had a blue satin jacket too!

I had a pink one with "Rollerboogie" glitter on the back! Whatever happened to Samantha Sagg? Remember that song, "Emotion"?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Kathyf Guest
    Andy Gibb I believe died of some stomach cancer or disease if I remember right. I loved him. I still have 2 of the 8 track tapes I bought.

Bellfire Guest

I want to say this in the nicest way possible without sounding catting or mean. I watched the bio on Andy's life and saw where he broke up with Victoria and remarried but ended up dead because of his drug use. Now, I heard Victoria say that she was the love of his life but the drugs were more powerful that their love. I think that she was totally cruel because he had a widow and it was not Ms. Principal. Why would you say he loved you more than his wife at the time? I mean I just thought her comment was so distasteful and full of beans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    I want to say this in the nicest way possible without sounding catting or mean. I watched the bio on Andy's life and saw where he broke up with Victoria and remarried but ended up dead because of his drug use. Now, I heard Victoria say that she was the love of his life but the drugs were more powerful that their love. I think that she was totally cruel because he had a widow and it was not Ms. Principal. Why would you say he loved you more than his wife at the time? I mean I just thought her comment was so distasteful and full of beans.
    Well, since the dead aren't around to defend themselves, is why VP said all that. Andy's brothers were apparently too disgusted with her to have her at his funeral and probably chose to be gentleman and never say anything about her in any interviews.

kelbons Guest
    Andy was dreamy!

At work in my office, we (the girl I share my office with and I) have pictures of him taped on the wall. One day my boss was in there talking to the other girl and stopped mid-sentence... "Sorry... all that chest hair distracted me." I almost fell out of my chair!!

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post

O.K.
    Andy was married, before meeting the Trollop of Beverly Hills. He deserted his wife, (He married TOO young, in my opinion). He had a daughter, that he met only once or twice, and was so caught up in the fame game, that he could not be bothered.
    Please, don't get me wrong, I have loved Andy since I first saw him(And still love Barry, to this day)
    Andy died from a Heart condition, that he had from birth, but was extremley aggravated by his cocaine use. His brother did try to save him. Robin had him living in one of his houses at the time, and he still snuck off, and started drinking.

Victoria Principal will always have a soft spot in the pit of Hell for what she did. She tried to play Goody Goody, and she isn't.

A side note: I think Andy's death, led to the death of his father.
    And, since Maurice's death, Barry and Robin haven't spoken. (It may have had something to do with long lingering jealousy form the 60s-70s)

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    And, since Maurice's death, Barry and Robin haven't spoken. (It may have had something to do with long lingering jealousy form the 60s-70s)

Really? I didn't know that! How sad.

Alexa Guest

Unhappy

Barry and Robin are brothers and friends again. They've done shows together recently, dedicated the memorial park in Mo's honor, and are making their way through the rough spots of old. They work together and apart. I hope it's good for them. I do think, of all the brothers, B & R's relationship was the most strained. Mo seemed mostly like the easy going brother (when on the wagon), Andy the most innocent, Robin the most independent-wannabe of all, and Barry the natural leader. I think Robin's always been driven by his need for independent success, thinking his work with the brothers was less than he could be, but in actuality, it was perfect for him, so he could learn to realize his own true talents. Andy was very similar in that respect to Robin, but in a far more darker sort of way. Alone, each one was a star, together, the four brothers were superstars, supernovas. Each bringing his superb talents to the mix was actually the highest honor they could achieve as entertainers and as brothers. Remember how they lit up the world when the four of them performed together? Nothing better.

Yes, the whole Gibb family believes their dad died of a broken heart over Andy's death, and who could blame him? It was a tragic, tragic loss on all counts.

Andy only saw little Peta (his daughter) in 1980 when she and mom Kim visited Andy in Los Angeles when she was 2. He hadn't seen her for eight but had called Kim not long before he died to request permission to see Peta again and make amends. Kim said he could see the child but he'd have to visit her in Australia. They made plans for Andy to go there in September 1988, but unfortunately for everyone, he died in March that year. Ultra-ultra sad.

No, Andy should never have married at 18, not just because he was very young, but because he hadn't experienced the real world. Living in the shadow of BeeGees fame didn't prepare him for life's hard knocks. Andy attempted to escape his problems instead of solving them. He married Kim at 18 because he couldn't choose between love and fame. Instead, he tried to have both, but his total lack of real world experience let him make mistake after mistake. He quit school at 13 because he couldn't handle how the other kids treated him and his family allowed him to quit! Staying in school would have been a major stepping stone to real life but unfortunately, he was too weak to work through his problems with the other kids.

VP was his idol, an obsession. He wanted her to be Pam Ewing but instead he got the highly self-absorbed Plastic Wonder and I'm sure it contributed to his downfall, especially after she married her plastic surgeon. Andy had a seriously dependent, addictive personality, one of the most intense I've ever seen. He's the typical Piscean personified in the worst possible way. Even his wonderful good points were his downfall. He didn't see the bad in the evil and just kept exposing himself to it and all this makes Andy one of the most tragic figures because he couldn't control his addictions and drowned in his depression. His beasts were enormous.
    Last edited by Alexa; 10-21-2007 at 02:15 AM.

monhol Guest
    victoria(pamela ewing) left him because he chose drugs over her. she wanted him to stop but he would not. i don't blame her for leaving him. finally when he did try and get his life together it was too late. the drugs had taken its toll.

monhol Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I was totally in love with Andy Gibb and everything Bee Gees when I was a teen..I still think Victoria Principal deserted him when he needed her most..his brothers must have thought that also they banrred her from his funeral! I visited his grave in May man I just felt such a sense of loneliness there.
    the family banned her?? THAT IS CRAZY. she was not the reason for his drug abuse. he chose drugs over her. you can not help an addict when he or she does not want help. by staying she would just been his enabler. she had every right to take flight. this type stuff really strikes a nerve in me. because i know alot of addicts and they and their families always blame someone else for their drug abuse. andy had been doing drugs for years. from what i hear it had something to do with him no longer hosting solid gold, and rex smith took his spot.

MbalmR Guest
    Rex Smith.........dang, that is a blast from the past. Didn't he have a hit single a million years ago? What was it now? I think I actually owned a 45 of it!

MbalmR Guest
    AH! Nevermind, found it. "You Take My Breath Away." Maudlin stuff, but I loved it way back when. Apparently Mr. Smith is a realtor now.

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    Rex Smith.........dang, that is a blast from the past. Didn't he have a hit single a million years ago? What was it now? I think I actually owned a 45 of it!
    Remember his movie Sooner or Later? I rented it to see it again. Watching it as an adult not a 15 year old it wasn't a 4 star movie LOL I have the album. I did see him recently he has short hair and looks pretty good.

don't_axe_me Guest
    I remember that movie. Wasn't his character an "older" man (maybe 21?) having a relationship with a teenager? Ahhh, the drama!

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Damn you all. Now I have "Shadow Dancin" stuck in my head!
    "Do it light , taking me through the night
    Shadow dancing , baby you do it right
    Give me more , drag me across the floor
    Shadow dancing , all this and nothing more"

Woo Hoo...Andy Gibb I LOOOOOVE him.
    He died when I was like 6.
    But he was HOT.

Irishlass Guest
    Didnt Andy die from endocarditis brought on my a weak heart due to drug use.. I never heard the stomach cancer story..
    I loved him as a teenager...rex smith tooo :swoon:

Alexa Guest
    Andy died of myocarditis. It has many causes. It's assumed the drugs aggravated the condition, making his heart too weakened to carry on.

My dissatisfaction with Victoria Principal isn't as much about what she did after the break up, but the fact that she got involved with Andy in the first place. She was the older, more experienced person, and she should have known better. She knew of Andy's fascination with her and it went to her head. Instead of thinking of his welfare, she chose to nurse her own ego by allowing Andy to be caught up intoxicatedly in their sordid "romance". She knew Andy was an "innocent". His family knew it. But the Plastic Wonder needed a toyboy to boost her ego, never mind what it do to him. Yes, she was well experienced with drugs and she knew how much she could handle. Andy got caught up in it all and couldn't get himself out. It's like how some people can drink a glass or two of champagne and then be finished, while others take one sip and can't stop until they pass out. That's the difference in addiction and 'social' participation. That's why Andy's family was so upset with Ms Plastic......I mean, Ms Principal.

I remember Rex Smith from his role as Darryl Crawford on As The World Turns.

Andy shadow dances with me all the time.
    Last edited by Alexa; 10-23-2007 at 04:49 PM.

Irishlass Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexa View Post
    Andy died of myocarditis. It has many causes. It's assumed the drugs aggravated the condition, making his heart too weakened to carry on.

Andy shadow dances around my house with me all the time.

awwe got my carditis's mixed up

magblax Guest
    I had a blue satin jacket too. They were a "must have" in 1978!

Guilty too! I also owned a pair of Donny Osmond purple socks. The discription of Andy's last moments on earth are disturbing. Really sad.