Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: DDII The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter

trose Guest
    Just ordered mine - can't wait to see it!

Tami

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by trose View Post
    Just ordered mine - can't wait to see it!
    Ditto

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest
    I ordered mine and I think I will host a Dearly Departed hag double feature at my house in early January. If there are any Orange County Hags that would like to attend please send me a private message and I will give you the details as they are planned.

amylynn Guest
    I ordered mine...Scott and Film maker 78 your awesome! It will give me something to do on my birthday.

Filmmaker78 Guest

The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter

Hey everybody!

Thanks SO MUCH to all of you who have supported FindADeath and grabbed up the new DVD already.

(I think we'll probably put the Wonderland video out on DVD now as well.)

In the meantime, to borrow a catchphrase from the old Alpha Beta grocery store chain, "tell a friend!" The more people who know about this film, the better it does, and the more films like it we can continue making. Even a single post on a MySpace or Facebook page can make a huge difference.

I'm really really excited to see the response once my fellow Death Hags begin receiving the first copies. And we're still planning to put together a public screening in LA after the holidays have settled down.

Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!

I'd be glad to post a link on my website.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Filmmaker78 Guest
    GREAT!

For everybody:

Here's a link to the trailer:

http://vimeo.com/1927328

...and a link to the store:

https://www.createspace.com/259100

I'll get right on it. You know, my website is a Brandon Lee info resource site and his dad, Bruce, choreographed Sharon Tate's fight scenes in The Wrecking Crew, I think it was, so that links a degree with Sharon.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I took the liberty of using the above banner witht he store link at the top of my home page. I hope that is ok, if not, I will remove it. I also embedded the trailer on my website with the link under NEW on the home page.

I hope this helps. I get a healthy number of visitors from all over the world and surely some of them will be interested in the DVD.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Filmmaker78 Guest
    cindyt - Cool! We actually mention the Bruce Lee connection in the film. Jay Sebring knew the producers of the Batman series and actually hooked Bruce Lee up with his first big acting gig in the U.S.

KCSunshine - the Wonderland video will likely have an extra minute or so of video in it (we had to trim it down to 10 mins exactly for YouTube) and there is possibly another video that we are currently working on that might also be included.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I can't wait to get my DVD in the mail. I will certainly tell my friends about it and say something about it on my facebook profile. I know a lot of people who would be very interested in having this DVD for their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmmaker78 View Post
    cindyt - Cool! We actually mention the Bruce Lee connection in the film. Jay Sebring knew the producers of the Batman series and actually hooked Bruce Lee up with his first big acting gig in the U.S.
    I thought Bruce might be mentioned, and for God's sake I forgot about the Sebring connection. LOL.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Filmmaker78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I thought Bruce might be mentioned, and for God's sake I forgot about the Sebring connection. LOL.

Yeah. Sebring did the hair for Dozier, the producer of the Batman television show (and, if memory serves, for Batman star Adam West, too). At the time, Sebring and Tate were both taking kung fu lessons from Bruce Lee. Dozier mentioned to Sebring that they were looking for a martial arts expert to play the "Kato" character. Sebring recommended Bruce Lee, and is thus credited for "discovering" Bruce Lee in the U.S.

Also, if you want to see Sebring "in action," he was in a Batman episode, playing "Mr. Oceanbring," (a hairstylist, of course).

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AnQZj0Ja5M

He's in the orange-ish red vest, running around trying to save the vaces. I am shocked and happy to discover that this video is on YouTube.

OF COURSE, I would be remissed if I didn't credit Scott here -- this is all information from him that I'm parroting here.

I have to add that, right up until he was killed by a murderous doomsday cult, Jay Sebring was living a pretty awesome life. Friends with the biggest stars. Decent-looking. Dating the most beautiful women in Hollywood. Living in one of the most kick-ass Hollywood houses ever built. Getting bit parts on one of the hottest shows (at the time) on TV...
    Last edited by Filmmaker78; 12-27-2008 at 05:50 PM.

Yeah. Sebring did the hair for Dozier, the producer of the Batman television show (and, if memory serves, for Batman star Adam West, too). At the time, Sebring and Tate were both taking kung fu lessons from Bruce Lee. Dozier mentioned to Sebring that they were looking for a martial arts expert to play the "Kato" character. Sebring recommended Bruce Lee, and is thus credited for "discovering" Bruce Lee in the U.S.

Also, if you want to see Sebring "in action," he was in a Batman episode, playing "Mr. Oceanbring," (a hairstylist, of course).

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AnQZj0Ja5M

He's in the orange-ish red vest, running around trying to save the vaces. I am shocked and happy to discover that this video is on YouTube.

OF COURSE, I would be remissed if I didn't credit Scott here -- this is all information from him that I'm parroting here.

I have to add that, right up until he was killed by a murderous doomsday cult, Jay Sebring was living a pretty awesome life. Friends with the biggest stars. Decent-looking. Dating the most beautiful women in Hollywood. Living in one of the most kick-ass Hollywood houses ever built. Getting bit parts on one of the hottest shows (at the time) on TV...
    Oh, yes, I remember that episode. I tried never to miss a Batman epi. I also remember the one where Kato and the Green Hornet appeared.

The murders were just tragic all around and was truly one of the worst murder cases of that century. I really appreciate you and Scott for creating this DVD. To me, it's a legacy for those murdered, least people forget what an evil cult The Family was. I read somewhere that in time Manson would be so whitewashed he would become a folk hero--and to some he is already.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I'm going to get it ordered for myself and will tell my friends as well. I can't wait to see the video, thanks for making it.

Ok, I am a fan of Scott and all he does. However, in respect to the banner ad on the site, what is the significance of the ridge line? Is this a panorama of where the house was located? Secondly, the image is blurred, it would be better if the image is crisp. It looks sloppy and half assed in it's conception and execution. And yes i do have credentials to back up the judgment call.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Filmmaker78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Ok, I am a fan of Scott and all he does. However, in respect to the banner ad on the site, what is the significance of the ridge line? Is this a panorama of where the house was located? Secondly, the image is blurred, it would be better if the image is crisp. It looks sloppy and half assed in it's conception and execution. And yes i do have credentials to back up the judgment call.

Technically, it's the ridge-line at Barker Ranch, but it's not supposed to be anything specific, and it's supposed to look faded and lo rez and ambiguous. I have credentials too (including but not limited to a marketing degree). It's supposed to raise questions and get one single idea across. And we aren't relying on banner art to sell the film -- the trailer does that.

I suggest buying the DVD so you can give us a critique of our box art next.

Or perhaps, with your credentials, you'd like to design a "good" banner for us in exchange for a couple of copies?
    Last edited by Filmmaker78; 12-28-2008 at 10:17 AM.

Looks fine to me or I wouldnt have put it on my website.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Technically, it's the ridge-line at Barker Ranch, but it's not supposed to be anything specific, and it's supposed to look faded and lo rez and ambiguous. I have credentials too (including but not limited to a marketing degree). It's supposed to raise questions and get one single idea across. And we aren't relying on banner art to sell the film -- the trailer does that.

I suggest buying the DVD so you can give us a critique of our box art next.

Or perhaps, with your credentials, you'd like to design a "good" banner for us in exchange for a couple of copies?
    Put a pic of a blood covered knife or whatever in the background, something that implies murder. This is a death site, show it mate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ooooooh, its not gory enough, eh? LMAO.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Ooooooh, its not gory enough, eh? LMAO.
    Not gorey at all. Nice banner for the Geographic Society though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Filmmaker78 Guest
    Not gorey at all. Nice banner for the Geographic Society though.

I'm against glorifying the murders in order to sell the discs. I considered something more provocative, but this is a film that we want taken seriously.

I even debated whether to use images of Manson or the victims in some of our art, but decided against it. Manson and Tate did make it into some banners that I created early on, but we didn't use them. As it ended up, they aren't even on the box art. Looking at some of the other Manson documentaries out there (and a lot of them are pretty crappy) -- they exploit the hell out of the blood and gore and splashing Manson's face across everything, as if their "documentary" is really just a micro-budget horror flick. I'm planning to offer up several more banner designs in the future to mix it up a little, and Manson's face might make it into a few of them (simply because he is an iconic, immediately-recognizable image), but that's it. No blood splatter or horror-fonts.

The truth is, this film WILL creep the hell out of a lot of people -- I know several people who had trouble sleeping for a couple of nights after seeing it. But I'm approaching this as a serious document about the murders, and hopefully this film will get a respectable run in the festival circuit.
    Last edited by Filmmaker78; 12-28-2008 at 11:02 AM.

I'm against glorifying the murders in order to sell the discs. I considered something more provocative, but this is a film that we want taken seriously.

I even debated whether to use images of Manson or the victims in some of our art, but decided against it. Manson and Tate did make it into some banners that I created early on, but we didn't use them. As it ended up, they aren't even on the box art. Looking at some of the other Manson documentaries out there (and a lot of them are pretty crappy) -- they exploit the hell out of the blood and gore and splashing Manson's face across everything, as if their "documentary" is really just a micro-budget horror flick. I'm planning to offer up several more banner designs in the future to mix it up a little, and Manson's face might make it into a few of them (simply because he is an iconic, immediately-recognizable image), but that's it. No blood splatter or horror-fonts.

The truth is, this film WILL creep the hell out of a lot of people -- I know several people who had trouble sleeping for a couple of nights after seeing it. But I'm approaching this as a serious document about the murders, and hopefully this film will get a respectable run in the festival circuit.
    Mate, I see your point of view. I think we can agree to disagree, and that is cool. I do like the idea that you are going to mix up the artwork for the banner ads and I look forward to seeing the results. On a personal level, I would be most interested in the click through rates compared to the type of artwork with each type of banner ad artwork you use.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 12-28-2008 at 11:10 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Filmmaker78 Guest
    On a personal level, I would be most interested in the click through rates compared to the type of artwork with each type of banner ad artwork you use.

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    Fantastic. I am a really interested in Wonderland and eternally frustrated by how little info is out there. I have been searching for the book "Four on the Floor" for years and can't find a single copy. The footage of Scott inside the Wonderland house was an absolute treat. Thanks so much!
    That book was never released for some reason. It's never been out there anywhere - FYI.

Bake Guest
    Well my copy of the DVD has shipped...and when I get home to my computer, I will GLADLY add a banner to my myspace!!

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    grrrrrr i want this dvd so bad but i dont know if it will work on our dvd players here does anyone know

Filmmaker78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsguardianstalkr View Post
    grrrrrr i want this dvd so bad but i dont know if it will work on our dvd players here does anyone know

It *should* work. Any newer players should be able to handle our DVDs, no matter where you are.

If it doesn't work, the store lets you do returns for a refund.

I want the DVD, too, but there's just one problem Is it closed captioned for the hearing impaired? Because if it isn't, I won't be able to hear a word of it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    That book was never released for some reason. It's never been out there anywhere - FYI.
    I was curious, so I looked on Amazon for Four on the Floor and guess what? I got a hit for Four on the Floor Wonderland Murders. I don't know what was up with that because when I clicked over it didn't have the FOTF added to the title.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Filmmaker78 Guest
    I want the DVD, too, but there's just one problem Is it closed captioned for the hearing impaired? Because if it isn't, I won't be able to hear a word of it.

Ah... it isn't CC'd. It was cost-prohibitive at this time to have CC done. If we get the film a wider distribution deal, no doubt CC would be part of that, though. Sorry!

That's ok, hun. I know the murder case inside and out, at least, but I'd like to be able to understand what is said, of course. If you get it a wider distribution, and CC is added, I'll snap it up. Lots of deaf folk out there who I'm sure are fascinated by the murder case and would appreciate CC.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Ordered mine so hopefully will received it just in time for when the kids go back to school and I can grab a few of the mums who I am trying to convert to death hags for a Manson coffee morning. Soooooo looking forward to it

Danny62 Guest
    Mine should be here today...ordered it two day Fed Ex last week. At least hopefully tomorrow for New Years eve viewing?

I am sitting by the door waiting patiently for Fed Ex to show up!

Lifeisafataldisease Guest
    oh geeze Im going overseas for 2 weeks so cant order mine in case it gets to Australia before we get back and I MUST be home to take delivery of it! It took lees than a week for the first one to get here so I will be ordering mine around the 20th Jan when we get back. Wooo Hooo!

Firstly, to neilmpenny - regardless of what you have to say, and your supposed credentials - the way you said it, why even take you seriously? The image has a nice grain to it that helps signify the anniversary of the actual events. I assume you also know this is also more of an indie documentary, and polishing up advertisements of any sort would just create an juxtaposition that would ultimately just be awkward.

But I digress, on to the film itself. I purchased the DVD as soon as I got the email, received it today and just finished watching.

Scott and "filmmaker78" - WOW. Just wow! I wish I had the next 10 volumes of find-a-death dvd's immediately. Incredibly insightful, incredibly put together, thorough, smart, witty, everything I've come to know and appreciate about Scott, and this site.

The last 10-15 minutes, when you get to Barker Ranch - actually had me terrified. I could feel my heart beating and I wasn't even there! No wonder Scott vows to never go back there ever again. The bonus features were also excellent little segments that didn't fit into the film itself, but helped provide even more background.

It's a shame this film didn't have a bigger budget, only in that, getting the rights to have some actual circa footage (court room, the girls outside the hall of justice, etc...) would have been the icing on the cake.

But regardless - WELL DONE! Any death hag will absolutely love it, and I will be letting everyone I know, know about it!!

Congrats guys! (Roll on the next!!!!)

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Great job guys, just watched it tonight. Loved the archival stuff, and of course Scott is the wittiest, best-informed host ever. Though I didn't really learn anything new about the case, the odd connections highlighted in the piece really do have the power to startle. We discussed the case for hours after watching this, always the sign of a superb documentary.
    A MUST for any true crime buff's dvd library.

Last edited by neilmpenny; 12-31-2008 at 06:55 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JustOutOfReach Guest
    The DVD turned out great. Scott and Mike are to be commended for their hard work. My partner was watching it with me and commented on the number of details that were presented that were otherwise unknown to him. I just smiled and said, "that's Scott", that is what makes this film great...a guy that knows that material and a guy that knows how to shoot and edit it all together to make it compelling viewing. Nice Work!

NOVSTORM Guest
    This is wonderful. I watched it twice last night. Learned things I didn't know before and the Barker ranch segment was great!! Scott and Mike should get some kind of award for this.

Danse Macabre Guest
    I just received mine in the mail. What a thrill!!!!

I'll watch it tonight when my little caramels are sleeping.

Lita Guest
    I received my DVD today as well. I can't wait to watch it!!

GREAT!

For everybody:

Here's a link to the trailer:

http://vimeo.com/1927328

...and a link to the store:

https://www.createspace.com/259100

Yay! Gimme dat!

jeffpn Guest
    I have to say to all the people involved in the DVD, BRAVO! I watched it today and was glued to the TV. It was very well put together and thoroughly enjoyable. Thank you!

My next goal is to get off my ass and take the Dearly Departed Tour.
    I'm also looking forward to DDIII some day!

jeffpn Guest
    I have to say to all the people involved in the DVD, BRAVO! I watched it today and was glued to the TV. It was very well put together and thoroughly enjoyable. Thank you!

My next goal is to get off my ass and take the Dearly Departed Tour.
    I'm also looking forward to DDIII some day!

Lita Guest
    WTG on the DVD! It was excellent. One and a half very enthusiastic thumbs up! I had to dock Scott half a thumb, sadly. In the beginning I kept expecting him to say "Wanna see the mailbox?" and he never did. But, my dad has read pretty much every book on these crims and he even said "I didn't know that!" a few times so good job! It was very enjoyable, informative, and it was great to actually see where the family had been.

I was curious, so I looked on Amazon for Four on the Floor and guess what? I got a hit for Four on the Floor Wonderland Murders. I don't know what was up with that because when I clicked over it didn't have the FOTF added to the title.
    Yeah, but there is no such book. It has never been released.

Sam Guest
    My DVD was waiting for me when I got home from work last night.
    I watched about half of it after I got in bed, but I'm sick and all doped up on cough medicine and when there'd be a pause and Scott would start talking it would make me jump and almost sit up in bed.
    I just finished watching it and started it over.
    I think it is VERY well done, professional and fascinating. It should be on the "History Chanel" or "Tru TV" it really is that good!
    I think Scott's friend David who built the house just down from Sharon's house is a little over the top with his stories, but it's nice that he lets Scott come up there. I just don't understand why Sharon and Jay would haunt HIS new house.
    I enjoyed seeing my photo of the "Tate House" taken from
    Falcon Lair" and true to his word Mike used my name in the credits under "Still Images" so I had my 5 seconds of fame!
    Last edited by Sam; 01-05-2009 at 05:49 AM.

SCott and crew - just finished the new DVD and wanted to say "GREAT Job". It was well worth the wait. Very indepth and I learned a lot of new things about the case. This case will never go away as the events of the weekend did change this nation forever.

A few comments:
    A) About Sharon and Jay's body being moved - I think I agree with you that it never happened. Why would Charlie have gone all the way back...move the bodies once and then move them back to where the died? It doesn't make sense......
    B) In the "extra" footage - that one house owner who claims his house is haunted by Sharon and Jay.....he comes across to me as a complete flake and I don't believe him for one bit. Even you looked completely skeptical when he was telling you the story about how SHaron was telling him to tell that one lady how cool she is. It just doesn't hold water. Rudy Altobelli lived in THE original house AFTER the murder for 18 years and never saw or heard a thing.....why would Sharon and Jay haunt this clowns house 200 yards away that was built many years later.....doesnt add up....

just my .02.....

Anyways...great DVD!!

Just ordered mine...cannot wait!