Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oakland Ghost Ship Warehouse Party Fire

Oakland Ghost Ship Warehouse Party Fire

Nine confirmed dead, 25 unaccounted for.

"The warehouse had been partitioned into several artist studios and was packed with furniture, mannequins, lamps and other objects, according to the Associated Press. Fire officials said the building did not have sprinklers."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.da1349c4281a

Here is a link to the Ghost Ship before the fire, looks like an awful lot of wood for a building with no sprinklers.

http://www.oaklandghostship.com/
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

What a terrible tragedy. Looks like an awful lot of wood.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

ugly....how did the city allow a rave at this location?.....or maybe Oakland has just given up.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

A lot of little electrical lights around the place. Wonder if there were some candles? Sad situation for everyone involved.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Hmmmm...

Survivors "knew that had they been on the second floor of the “Ghost Ship” collective on 31st Avenue in the Fruitvale neighborhood, their chances of getting out would’ve been close to nonexistent.

The staircase to get downstairs, they said, was a steep ramp with pegs sticking out as makeshift footholds that turned 90 degrees into a series of rickety wooden stairs.

“The building itself was an art piece. The walls were completely covered with makeshift pieces of wood, so finding the staircase if you’d never been there before was difficult because they had built it into the wall in a certain way,” said Laura Hobbs, 24, who had gone to the party with five friends.

“I can’t imagine how long it’d take 40 people to get out,” she said, “even in a calm situation"

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...e-10689539.php
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Well, I like the way it looks. I could live there. But with sprinklers. Sheesh. How horrible all round. RIP.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

It did have a cool rustic look to it. Reminds me of a few joints we have around here. But, no sprinklers! A death trap that finally snapped shut. Sad.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Man - how terrible, and senseless. No doubt the fire department knew what a tragedy that tinderbox was going to be. I'm sure they were warned more than once. My condolences to families; I also hope no fire fighters were injured. I hope whoever declined to make that place at least a little safe takes responsibility for their actions (or inaction).

I read that the only stairs to the upstairs were made of old pallets. Artistically pretty cool but what a fire hazard. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by seurtoFW View Post
    Man - how terrible, and senseless. No doubt the fire department knew what a tragedy that tinderbox was going to be. I'm sure they were warned more than once. My condolences to families; I also hope no fire fighters were injured. I hope whoever declined to make that place at least a little safe takes responsibility for their actions (or inaction).
    But some people think bad things happen to others until they find out the hard way.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

According to the news, there were investigations into the building. The shop owners in the area complained about it. Things tend to work a little bit slowly when looking into complaints, etc. However, tragedy travels quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle1966 View Post
    According to the news, there were investigations into the building. The shop owners in the area complained about it. Things tend to work a little bit slowly when looking into complaints, etc. However, tragedy travels quickly
    Well said.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Terrible. But im so curious. Is there som videos out there yet?

Death toll officially risen to 24:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...inues-to-rise/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Wow. 24 dead and still people missing. What a deathtrap. Sad.

How awful! Bless them.
    What a lovely place too.

Death toll now at 33, a dozen people still missing. Tragic.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

EJAK Guest
    Awful. I mean I was shocked when The Colectiv Club Fire Happened in Romania, as the cause was the exact same as the Station, but I thought at least something like this would never happen in the US again as the station scared some sense into a lot of people.

Alas, I guess some people think that fire safety isn't very rock and roll (Especially musicians and artists, trust me, I'm one of them)

Having hung out with many like-minded people over the last few years I can honestly imagine the situation with the "normal" artists mind set.

They don't have money so they're forced to live in a warehouse (probably the reason the ghost ship became what it was in the first place!)
    They can't afford expensive upgrades like sprinklers or smoke alarms.
    Most of them have a live fast die young attitude.
    There is almost always alcohol or substances involved at an event like this (not that it would have made much difference with the stairs being wooden)

All of this I know from personal experience.

And most importantly, the reason this concert happened is because the city failed them:
    These people couldn't apply for a permit, as they would need safety inspection first, and they couldn't do that as the place would be shut down, people would have been caught living there, and they wouldn't have been able to re-open until the necessary safety features were installed. Regardless, all of that should have happened whether they liked it or not, as this tradgedy would have been prevented.

It frustrates me so much that some inspectors knocked on the door once to inspect, and when they weren't answered, they never came back again, never reported it, and then this happens. (evidently the occupants saw the inspectors coming and didn't open the door as they didn't want to get closed down).

How could any authority figure be aware of a place like this, (It seemed everyone in the city knew of it and what went on there) knowing it's an accident waiting to happen and do nothing about it? Turning a blind eye to people living there is fine, but doing nothing about numerous reports of safety problems on the site apart from sending two "inspectors" that gave up and left after the door wasn't answered? Give me a break!

If buildings were up to code with:
    More than one exit (or atleast visible exits if there is already more than a main entrance, which prevents pile ups at main doors, due to people not being able to see other exits and trying to get out the way they came in)
    Working fire extinguishers (I remember reading yesterday that someone said they pulled the pin on a fire extinguisher in ghost ship and it wouldn't come out!)
    And most importantly? SPRINKLERS! Giving people precious time to escape and stopping fire outright in the first place!)
    So many disasters like this could have been so easily averted if the buildings were just up to code! (This, The Station Nightclub, Club Colectiv, and Lame Horse Nightclub just to name a few)

I really hate it when these things happen, and I wish they didn't, but when they do I know I'm gonna spend many sleepless nights trying to figure out why so I can do whatever I can to make sure this kind of thing stops happening, even if I just warn people to be more aware of their surroundings.

The Station really opened up a can of worms for me, and changed the way I am every day.
    Among this completely preventable tradgedy (which makes it all the more frustrating), I honestly hope that in future, people will find out about The Ghost Ship, and what happened there (As I did with the station a couple years ago) and start looking out for themselves and others, so this terrible loss of life isn't for nothing, and may even save lives in future.

- EJAK
    Last edited by EJAK; 12-05-2016 at 09:50 AM.

some info on the guy who managed the warehouse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ather-law.html

He's a real prize, his first post about the fire on FB bitched that all he had "worked so hard for is gone."

Not a word about the victims until the tide of public opinion turned against him.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/04/oaklan...arrest-record/
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Wow, I've been so engrossed in what's going on with the Gatlinburg wildfire that I didn't find out about this until just now. How horrible. EJAK, I get what you are saying as I have been around a lot of musicians and artists myself. It's just a real tragedy and it makes me so mad because it shouldn't have happened again. Like you, The Station nightclub fire changed the way I am every day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death toll is now 36, with possible more, 11 so far have been identified.

Person who attended gatherings at the Ghost Ship says the charms of the place included mold, cat feces, and frequent outbreaks of lice.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/video/freq...192735748.html
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Eeew! There went the charm out of that joint.
    Last edited by cleanskull; 12-08-2016 at 09:57 AM.

I actually expected this thread to have more comments given the nature of the tragedy and in comparison to other horrific fire deaths/events. I don't want to be morbid but I just wonder what happened and what the people on the top floor went through/experienced and if any of them survived. Also if anyone tweeted on Facebooked while trapped. I am just curious, not trying to be disrespectful to the ordeal the people attending went through.

What I would like to know is why the guy who leased it feels like he isn't responsible because he didn't have the money to bring the building up to code. Uh, duh.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

EJAK Guest
    Guys, check this... the best article so far!

At the top of the page there is an interview with the Owner visiting the scene.

In the middle there are Loads of photos of the interior of the Ghost Ship.

And at the bottom there is a full slideshow of the victims with pictures.

http://abc7news.com/news/oakland-gho...-fire/1642068/

Quote Originally Posted by bustakita View Post
    I actually expected this thread to have more comments given the nature of the tragedy and in comparison to other horrific fire deaths/events. I don't want to be morbid but I just wonder what happened and what the people on the top floor went through/experienced and if any of them survived. Also if anyone tweeted on Facebooked while trapped. I am just curious, not trying to be disrespectful to the ordeal the people attending went through.
    Yep, they did:

Sgt. Ray Kelly, spokesman for the Alameda County sheriff, said some of victims texted simple messages to loved ones as the fire roared through the warehouse. One set of texts: "I'm going to die" followed by "I love you."
    Kelly said searchers found bodies of people "protecting each other, holding each other."

(Source:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/12/06/manager-ghost-ship-incredibly-sorry-after-tragedy/95032514/)
    Last edited by EJAK; 12-06-2016 at 10:59 PM.

28. 12-06-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote Originally Posted by EJAK View Post
    Yep, they did:

Sgt. Ray Kelly, spokesman for the Alameda County sheriff, said some of victims texted simple messages to loved ones as the fire roared through the warehouse. One set of texts: "I'm going to die" followed by "I love you."
    Kelly said searchers found bodies of people "protecting each other, holding each other."

(Source:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/12/06/manager-ghost-ship-incredibly-sorry-after-tragedy/95032514/)
    I was wondering the same thing. How horrible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Is it me or does it sound fishy that they were so calm? I would have been like a fish out of water.

EJAK, please combine your posts numbers 27 & 28. Posts made within minutes of each other are against policy.
    Last edited by cindyt; 12-06-2016 at 12:04 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) --
    Officials announced that 36 victims have been recovered from the scene of the deadly Oakland Ghost Ship warehouse fire. They have identified 33 of these victims and 16 of the families have been contacted.

Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O'Malley say her office is looking at whether or not criminal liability is attached to this fire.

"Charges could be murder or voluntary manslaughter..we don't know until we finish our investigation," said O'Malley.
    http://abc7news.com/news/da-says-cri...-fire/1640149/

All the hipster artists who died in the fire very
    sad.
    A waste of talent on this World.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

the place was a dump

interior

I thought the inside looked cool but my god, it was one big pile o kindling. Didn't he (the owner) claim he didn't have the money to bring it up to code? Well now you don't have to, you hipster jackass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I thought the inside looked cool but my god, it was one big pile o kindling. Didn't he (the owner) claim he didn't have the money to bring it up to code? Well now you don't have to, you hipster jackass.
    He did say that and went on about his "loss," and how he didn't see why it was his fault because he never intended for it to happen. Well, drunks don't intend to crash and kill but they do and pay for it. The DA is looking into charging him.

My suspicious mind wants to know if he was insured, and how a broke man can afford to check his family into a hotel and on the very night of the fire.
    Last edited by cindyt; 12-07-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I get the feeling that the owner is not as poor as he let's on, as Cindy said he can afford to check family into a hotel the night of the fire, even though they usually stayed at the ghostship, makes me go hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    the place was a dump

interior

Yep plus I read that those are older pics & that it had become more cluttered with no true hallways etc.

Ugh. Another fire disaster that was completely preventable.
    Last edited by LLC; 12-08-2016 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Is it me or does it sound fishy that they were so calm? I would have been like a fish out of water.

EJAK, please combine your posts numbers 27 & 28. Posts made within minutes of each other are against policy.
    No kidding. I would have been kicking a hole in the wall or something. Put the fear of burning to death in me and I would have Hulked the dang wall. This whole shabangabang sounds cultish to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    No kidding. I would have been kicking a hole in the wall or something. Put the fear of burning to death in me and I would have Hulked the dang wall. This whole shabangabang sounds cultish to me.

Using the Station fire as an example, some were very calm, even still standing with their drink in hand while the fire roared everywhere.

Smoke inhalation would have gotten to them quickly so they would have been out of options quickly.

I also agree that it sounded very cult like.

Are those 2nd floor windows covered in wire? I can't tell. Or maybe the windows were covered from the inside?

krystleann Guest
    Check out this article, and the accompanying video:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-36-died.html

The place WAS a death trap.

I know it was an illegal residence, but with all the money the scumbag Dereck Ion was making, he could've invested at least SOMETHING to keep people safe- especially since his own family was living there.

People were wondering about why the family was at a hotel that night- apparently there was a custody issue due to all of the nasty things involving Derick and Micah's past, they could've been staying at a hotel because of that, or because they knew it would be loud with the party going on and needed it quieter for their children.

Derick claims he wasn't there the night of, and this may not be anything substantial- but if you check out his facebook, a few weeks before the fire he posted pictures with his wife and him boasting a new car- it's some kind of classic car with a distinctly purple paint job. That same car can be seen in photos the night of the fire parked right in front of the main entrance. I wonder if that effects his alibi? I'm sure investigators have looked into this. Or have they?

Did anyone else read about the guy who lived there, made it out, then went back in to get his camera (nevermind saying he was looking to save others, lol)
    he discovered another resident, who had fallen off the second floor and had a broken ankle. I don't know how hard of a break it was, but if it were me I'd find a way to hop on one leg and get the hell out of there, but there might have been other factors.

The guy who was retrieving his camera was trying to pull his hurt friend out, but was unsuccessful- told reporters he could feel his skin "melting"...left him there.

He said the image of his friend burning to death now haunts him.

This story fascinates me, as does the Station fire. I was hoping people would've learned from that tragedy- but I am sorry for feeling that these types of disasters will never become a thing of the past.

Prayers for the victims of this senseless tragedy.
    Last edited by krystleann; 12-08-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: forgot link

42. 12-08-2016, 03:40 PM

43. 12-08-2016, 05:48 PM

belle234 Guest
    TMZ has pictures of him reunited with the other people who escaped. They all met up and ate at Denny's, which Denny's paid for... and then they went to the Red Cross to get clothes. So.me of them are smiling in the picture, which seems inappropriate.. He is getting ripped apart in the comments beneath the picture.

Here is the link:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...c_location=ufi

belle234 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by krystleann View Post

Derick claims he wasn't there the night of, and this may not be anything substantial- but if you check out his facebook, a few weeks before the fire he posted pictures with his wife and him boasting a new car- it's some kind of classic car with a distinctly purple paint job. That same car can be seen in photos the night of the fire parked right in front of the main entrance. I wonder if that effects his alibi? I'm sure investigators have looked into this. Or have they?
    It seems there are contradicting claims on whether he was there or not. He really is dumb to talk to the media right now. He is going to talk himself into a jail cell.

Did anyone else read about the guy who lived there, made it out, then went back in to get his camera (nevermind saying he was looking to save others, lol)
    he discovered another resident, who had fallen off the second floor and had a broken ankle. I don't know how hard of a break it was, but if it were me I'd find a way to hop on one leg and get the hell out of there, but there might have been other factors.

The guy who was retrieving his camera was trying to pull his hurt friend out, but was unsuccessful- told reporters he could feel his skin "melting"...left him there.

He said the image of his friend burning to death now haunts him.
    <<edited this paragraph out because it is inaccurate>>

It was Bob Mule, not Max.

I can not believe he admitted he went back to get his camera, not help people. That's unbelievable.

PS~ the man who broke his foot and couldn't be saved was Peter Wadsworth. He was the only active tenant living there - who was unable to escape.

Edited to correct myself: That was Bob Mule, not Max..
    Last edited by belle234; 12-09-2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Wrong name given!

LLC!!! hugs... glad to see you here, the picture of them eating at Denny's none of them look like they been through something tragic and lost friends or people they know...something feels odd about this.

Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    Yep plus I read that those are older pics & that it had become more cluttered with no true hallways etc.

Ugh. Another fire disaster that was completely preventable.
    Yes because tbh this interior pic doesn't look too bad. What I want to see these makeshift stairs they created!!!

Guys, check this... the best article so far!

At the top of the page there is an interview with the Owner visiting the scene.

In the middle there are Loads of photos of the interior of the Ghost Ship.

And at the bottom there is a full slideshow of the victims with pictures.

http://abc7news.com/news/oakland-gho...-fire/1642068/

That list of victims and photos is truely heart wrenching.
    I am glad someone put it together though; it takes the attention away from the story of the manager and makes us think about the real tragedy.
    I do bet he is overcome with guilt, however.

On a side note, apart from the building being a death trap, in my little opinion I thought it looked really quirky and fun

EJAK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by belle234 View Post
    TMZ has pictures of him reunited with the other people who escaped. They all met up and ate at Denny's, which Denny's paid for... and then they went to the Red Cross to get clothes. So.me of them are smiling in the picture, which seems inappropriate.. He is getting ripped apart in the comments beneath the picture.
    What the bloody hell is going on here??? How come they are all smiling??? I saw this as a pretty two sided tragedy with ex-residents who had arguments with him blaming Derek and him defending himself... that said, this photo changes everything and makes it seem as if there is a lot more to the story. If a bunch of people I had been living with had burned alive I sure as hell wouldn't be smiling like that! It looks like a friendly reunion, not a bunch of survivors getting together after a terrible tradgedy!!!! Add all of the weird satanic rituals people said they saw occuring when they lived there and this story gets much weirder!

Quote Originally Posted by Torious View Post
    On a side note, apart from the building being a death trap, in my little opinion I thought it looked really quirky and fun
    I completely agree! that said, if you see some of the photos posted by former residents you will realise it's not quite so... It was not only a death trap, but also very unhygienic, people were allegedly paying almost $5000 a month to stay there with no bathrooms, no heating and no safety
    Last edited by EJAK; 12-11-2016 at 09:18 AM.

Derek saying he shouldn't be held responsible because he didn't have the money to bring it up to code just chaps my ass. Now from some of the previous comments, I see he did, he just chose to spend it on other things. As the owner of the building, he is responsible for the occupants safety. I want to light him on fire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

belle234 Guest
    What the bloody hell is going on here??? How come they are all smiling??? I saw this as a pretty two sided tragedy with ex-residents who had arguments with him blaming Derek and him defending himself... that said, this photo changes everything and makes it seem as if there is a lot more to the story. If a bunch of people I had been living with had burned alive I sure as hell wouldn't be smiling like that! It looks like a friendly reunion, not a bunch of survivors getting together after a terrible tradgedy!!!! Add all of the weird satanic rituals people said they saw occuring when they lived there and this story gets much weirder!

I completely agree! that said, if you see some of the photos posted by former residents you will realise it's not quite so... It was not only a death trap, but also very unhygienic, people were allegedly paying almost $5000 a month to stay there with no bathrooms, no heating and no safety
    His friend, Max, claims that the waiter asked to take their picture and they agreed.. then he says either the waiter or someone else who took a picture too -- sold it or gave it to TMZ. First of all, it is sort of strange that a waiter from Denny's would recognize them.. much less ask to take a picture.. but whatever.

There are TONS of stories all over facebook and in news articles of Derek being violent and horrible.

Not much of a peek. just the bottom of the stairs..
    http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...404793415.html