Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Inman

John Inman

I loved Are You Being Served. I first saw it on our local PBS station in 92. We lost John earlier this year after a long illness. He was very funny as Mr Humphries and played the character perfectly.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffsboys4 View Post
    I loved Are You Being Served. I first saw it on our local PBS station in 92. We lost John earlier this year after a long illness. He was very funny as Mr Humphries and played the character perfectly.
    Oh, man...I had no idea.

I thought that he, of all people, still had a few years left in him yet.

DeadRinger Guest
    I loved John Inman. "I'm free!" His gap-toothed campiness made that show worthwhile.

firegilnotguns Guest
    Aw, I loved Are You Being Served... my husband gives me crap for it (he says he doesn't know any British people who like it but some must!) Anyway, it was sad to hear about his passing recently. Will still enjoy his performances from the past!

Lifeisafataldisease Guest
    Classic! RIP Mr Inman!

deathybrad Guest
    I didn't know John was dead. I am so bummed.

candleinthewind Guest
    I love it when he answers the phone in a super butch voice and says , "MENSWEAR."

John passed away in March of this year. There are not many AYBS cast still alive. Frank Thornton, Molie Sugden, Wendy Richards, Trevor Bannister and Nicolas Smith are the only main cast members still with us. I don't think I left anyone off the list.

Im surprised Mollie Sudgen is still kicking on. As for Wendy Richards I think its amazing comparing her to then and now on East Enders.

Mollie Sugden and Frank Thornton are both their 80's. Mollie was in bad health for a time. I'm not sure how she is doing to date though. You are so right about the difference in Wendy's physical apperance then and now. She looks like she has spent some time in the tanning bed.

Daisy'sMom Guest

Smile

Mollie Sugden and Frank Thornton are both their 80's. Mollie was in bad health for a time. I'm not sure how she is doing to date though. You are so right about the difference in Wendy's physical apperance then and now. She looks like she has spent some time in the tanning bed.

Hi Everyone, this is my first post and I am so excited to be here. Frank Thornton was recently on a series called "The last of the summer wine". He looked remarkable for his age.
    I still watch AYBS every Sat night. We would not think of missing it. It's a treat to watch Mrs. Slocum and Mr. Humphries carry on.

cupotea Guest
    Hi everyone, I am new as well. I thought I'd post for the first time on this thread, as I LOVE "AYBS" and I was so saddened to hear about John Inman.

Awesome to see a forum for all us deathhags.

Bellfire Guest
    The really sad thing is the last time I saw him was on a PBS are you being served marothon special for a pledge drive and he was talking about Molly. Molly had just turned 80 and had suffered a heart attack but she is ok I think. He looked so healthy I wonder when he crotracted the Hepetitus A.

I also liked Arthur English as the floor walker. I thought he was better than Larry Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    He looked so healthy I wonder when he crotracted the Hepetitus A.
    Apparently he had been ill for many years but I guess some people can hide illness, others can look like they are about to eat the dust any second and linger for years and years, lifes a fatal disease and like that eh?

RoRo Guest
    I loved AYBS and have a boxed set, companion book and also taped all the episodes off our PBS station...they recently stopped showing AYBS for The Last Of The Summer Wine. I don't like it as much, but enjoy seeing Frank Thornton again. John Inman was my favorite on AYBS...he was divine!!!

Robert Vesco Guest
    I'm crushed! I really like Are You Being Served, but had no idea that Inman had died until I saw this thread. RIP Mr. Humphries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-JxUdk7LKg
    Last edited by Robert Vesco; 10-26-2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Added video tribute

I'm Free!!!

John Inman played camp salesman Mr Humphries in the comedy series Are You Being Served? for a decade from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s.
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 12-13-2007 at 11:50 AM.

deathybrad Guest
    You are so right about the difference in Wendy's physical apperance then and now. She looks like she has spent some time in the tanning bed.
    She looks like she was forced into a Ronco food dehydrator at Ronco Six Star Knife-point. "Set her and forget her!"

How sad. He is one of my favorites. I had no idea!

zanzibar11 Guest
    John Inman also trod the boards.I met him in a pub when I was shopping in the city centre,one day.He was starring at the local theatre and was relaxing for a few hours.He bought me a Malibu and pineapple and a bag of crisps.
    Lovely,lovely man - and VERY funny.

I also liked Arthur English as the floor walker. I thought he was better than Larry Martyn.
    Arthur English played the janitor, mr. Harman. Mr. Peacock was the floor walker.

halogirl5 Guest
    He stayed at my friend's hotel years ago-apparently just as camp in real life!

1karenhb Guest
    I loved AYBS! I didn't know he had died either. I'm surprised , but glad, that Molly is still alive. Hope her pussy is doing well. Always laughed when a customer would try on men's clothing that was way too long, and was told " it would ride up with wear".

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I was just paging through Entertainment Weekly's "Deaths in 2007" year-end article, and John Inman was the only celebrity that I had NOT heard of his passing...and it made me so sad. I LOVED him and LOVED 'AYBS?'....

Kellycatt1 Guest
    He DIED???? WHAT!!! He was my absoulute fav on aybs. Does anyone have any recent pics of anyone.
    I have looked but I think my brain is fried because I am not seeing them.

ScottyMonger Guest

I loved his camp on AYBS!

The last I saw of John Inman was a few years ago when he was making the rounds during PBS pledge drives. He did one in our town.

ScottyMonger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellycatt1 View Post
    He DIED???? WHAT!!! He was my absoulute fav on aybs. Does anyone have any recent pics of anyone.
    I have looked but I think my brain is fried because I am not seeing them.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6429425.stm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_42654459_inman_203_pa.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	2646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_00851147.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	2647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truly.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	2649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pf99.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	2651  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	celebrating4.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	2652  
    Last edited by ScottyMonger; 01-02-2008 at 04:10 PM.

cachluv Guest
    Thanks Scotty Awesome! Mrs Slocumbe and her pussy ROCK!!!

Kellycatt1 Guest
    Thanks a bunch for the pics Scotty. I knew they had to be there somewhere!!

ScottyMonger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellycatt1 View Post
    Thanks a bunch for the pics Scotty. I knew they had to be there somewhere!!
    My Pleasure.

imogene schlogenwockle Guest
    I quite agree that Arthur English was better than Larry Martyn.
    I have a British e-pal who liked the show. I also have a Scottish e-pal who said that another producer tried to take over the show but under the condition that the "poof" had to go. As he was the funniest one on the show, that would have been bad news.

TheLazenby Guest
    I actually remember when he first became ill... I seem to remember it being related to food poisoning, because I saw an article about him dropping out of a play. Nothing more seemed to come of it until I saw that he died. :-(

I had no idea until recently that Mollie Sugden was in poor health; she was in a couple PBS documentaries a few years back and seemed alright. (Some time ago, I'm guessing maybe seven or eight years, I wrote to her and got a nice signed photo back. )

Oh yes, and whoever made the list of main castmembers still alive, you forgot Mike Berry, the guy who replaced Mr. Lucas.

I think it's best to forget Mike Berry.

Norma Desmond Guest
    I SO miss 'AYBS?'...John Inman was my favorite, so very funny.

Auntie Vi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by imogene schlogenwockle View Post
    Did you know Mike Berry was actually a pop singer

No, I didn't know that, although I remember the episode where he was singing Chanson D'amour. ya-ta-da-ta-da

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by imogene schlogenwockle View Post
    I totally agree.

Sampiro Guest
    Inman married his partner of 35 years, Ron Lynch, in one of England's first same-sex civil union ceremonies. When Inman died he left his entire estate to Lynch. For those who wonder why gays want the right to marry here's a prime reason: Inman's estate was worth about $4 million USD and because they were married Lynch received it all, while if they were still just cohabitating without recognition by the law he'd have paid a huge chunk of the estate (well over $1.5 million) in taxes.
    They lived in a mews house (a former converted carriage house) in a posh neighborhood, one of the first couples to really popularize them.
    I love the title of this article about his partner and estate:

I'M TAX FREEEEEE!

TheLazenby Guest
    Knock Mike Berry all you want, but I do love the "Chanson D'amour" episode. At least the show went out on a good one. :-)

I feel terrible, I didn't even know he passed away until now upon reading up on some AYBS stuff.
    Loved him; such a terrific actor and beautiful soul..RIP.
    ??If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.? - Michael Jackson

silverwaif77 Guest
    I just loved Mr humphries, and how close he was with his mother, and his enthusiasm for taking an inside leg, also his friendship with Mrs slocumbe (one of the original fag hags). wouldnt it have been great to go out for drinks with john inman and mollie sugden? i think it would have been a riot!

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I love the episode where they went to the fancy dress party as punk rockers and they were late for work. Only Inman and Sugden could make punk rock look as awsome as they did!!!

IrishBabe Guest
    I have to admit, I had never even heard of AYBS until last year. My MIL was a huge fan and had every episode on DVD. When she passed in August of last year, my FIL asked me if I wanted her DVD's, and that's when I discovered the show.

Absolutely hilarious. Loved it from the first episode.

How sad that so many of them are gone...

I wish I had found the show sooner, it's fantastic.

jcc Guest
    I loved him and Are You Being Served. Sadly, they don't show it on PBS where I live anymore. They do, however show Grace and Favour (Also known as Are You Being Served Again in the US) on Saturday nights. I do have all the Are You Being Served episodes on DVD and 2 books.

Lisamarie Guest
    awww I didint know that!!! I missing him already!!

Lisamarie Guest
    who remebers the theme song???

thedabara Guest
    I loved his carefree "I love everybody and they love me" walk. He was just so sweet and funny! Rest in Peace, John.

I hated AYBS went it first came out - I really thought it was stupid. But now years later I absolutely love it mainly because it so un PC. JI was my favourite character. My favourite episode was a Christmas one, when they had a lifesize clockwork Santa. When turned on - he said "Look what I've got for your" and then opened his coat and flashed! Brilliant!!