Thread: Bud & June Runion disappeared after answering Craigslist ad

Bud & June Runion disappeared after answering Craigslist ad

They were from Marietta GA and went to McRae to check out a car advertised on Craigslist. McRae is about 30 minutes north of us. My husband works there, I used to, and I lived there once. The person they arrested is the cousin of the mother of my nephew. Scary stuff close to home.

From WMAZ: http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/loc...uple/22276947/

Apparently a warrant has been issued. How stupid do people have to be to not understand how technology works these days? Anyway, here's a link:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-i...tag=YHF4eb9d17
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

I'm guessing GA does not have concealed carry.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Two bodies have been found near where their car was found in a pond. Not a good ending.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/26...eorgia-couple/

Mammy Guest
    There sure are a lot of awful crimes connected to Craigslist transactions. How awful for this couple and their loved ones that the couple was likely murdered just for innocently wanting to buy a car. It's scary how many evil people there are just waiting for the opportunity to prey on whoever crosses their path.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    There sure are a lot of awful crimes connected to Craigslist transactions. How awful for this couple and their loved ones that the couple was likely murdered just for innocently wanting to buy a car. It's scary how many evil people there are just waiting for the opportunity to prey on whoever crosses their path.
    I know! I'm kind of afraid to get on there now.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by madeline View Post
    I know! I'm kind of afraid to get on there now.
    I've never bought or sold anything there, but my daughter does. I've tried to warn her to be cautious, but all I hear from her is "God, Mom, you watch too many crime shows."

I've never bought or sold anything there, but my daughter does. I've tried to warn her to be cautious, but all I hear from her is "God, Mom, you watch too many crime shows."
    Apparently not, since this keeps happening.

Craigslist is one scary ass place. RIP to the poor couple. How horrible.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    Craigslist is one scary ass place. RIP to the poor couple. How horrible.
    It really is scary! Do the idiots who commit these crimes not realize how easy it is to trace the crime back to them?

It really is scary! Do the idiots who commit these crimes not realize how easy it is to trace the crime back to them?
    I'm not blaming the victims, but I thought it was common knowledge about how dangerous that website is. I guess maybe with their age they didn't realized the danger???

And the killer is apparently not too bright. Cell phone records dumbass - hellllllrrrrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by gradpig View Post
    Two bodies have been found near where their car was found in a pond. Not a good ending.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/26...eorgia-couple/
    That's why I wouldn't go meet someone on a deal like that without my little friend on me.

I think that about the FB local Buy, Sell, Trade pages. People give out their addresses or meet people all the time. Too trusting.

My son does Craigslist and it spooks me. Of course he's young and nothing will ever happen to him...

Mammy Guest
    I'm not blaming the victims, but I thought it was common knowledge about how dangerous that website is. I guess maybe with their age they didn't realized the danger???

And the killer is apparently not too bright. Cell phone records dumbass - hellllllrrrrrrr.
    I won't even meet at people's homes locally when I sell stuff on Facebook. Like a lot of people, my own daughter included, they think bad things like that only happen to other people. They probably thought nobody would try anything since there was two of them there. I agree with Cleanskull, I'd have protection with me in a situation like that for sure.

This reminds me of the Skylar Deleon case where he murdered a couple back in 2004 when they advertised their yacht for sale. They thought they were safe because he brought his pregnant wife but they were wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_...d_Jackie_Hawks

Yikes. I've been selling a lot on CL lately and I admit I've thought I've been safe because I always meet people in my lobby... but wow. I'm normally really cautious too, so that's actually scarier.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shellc View Post
    This reminds me of the Skylar Deleon case where he murdered a couple back in 2004 when they advertised their yacht for sale. They thought they were safe because he brought his pregnant wife but they were wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_...d_Jackie_Hawks
    This is one of the most horrible cases I've ever heard of. When I first heard about it, I actually had nightmares. I just can't fathom how people could commit such a crime against good, innocent people just for financial gain. He most definitely earned his spot on death row and I'm also glad his selfish, spoiled wife didn't get away with her part in the murders and was sentenced to life in prison. She played a huge part in tricking the Hawks into trusting them.

They have identified the bodies as the Runions. They were shot. Ronnie Towns has been charged with malice murder and armed robbery. What a sad way for a life to end--shot because you were checking out an antique car. Or thought you were. People are just evil.

navallint Guest
    How sad for the couple. RIP

I've been trying to sell off my dads heavy equipment on CL. All I got was fools, or people thinking I am dumb. Yeah, I'll sell you a 20k bulldozer for 500 bucks.

Mammy Guest
    Well, I think we pretty much knew it would be their bodies and how this was going to end. It's just so tragic and pointless. I can't help but think about how it must feel to be excited to go look at your dream car and then the horror of realizing things aren't going like they were supposed to and it isn't going to end well. What a sinking, helpless feeling that must have been. Did that dumb jerk actually expect to get away with the premeditated murders of two people? What an idiot.

Well, I think we pretty much knew it would be their bodies and how this was going to end. It's just so tragic and pointless. I can't help but think about how it must feel to be excited to go look at your dream car and then the horror of realizing things aren't going like they were supposed to and it isn't going to end well. What a sinking, helpless feeling that must have been. Did that dumb jerk actually expect to get away with the premeditated murders of two people? What an idiot.
    I've just seen a clip of him in front of the judge and he honestly looks a few crumbs short of the full sandwich.

Mammy Guest
    I've just seen a clip of him in front of the judge and he honestly looks a few crumbs short of the full sandwich.
    He has to be! What he did is just beyond stupid. The Runions were around my parent's age. I feel so sorry for their children and grandchildren.

I've never understand people who would hurt others for money. I mean there could be no stupider reason ever.
    Minerva

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    I've never understand people who would hurt others for money. I mean there could be no stupider reason ever.
    Especially the way he went about it. My God, did he really think he was slick enough to pull this off and never be caught? He might as well have guilty tattooed on his forehead.

I know what you mean. We don't talk to my dad's side of the family anymore because of it. My Nana dying brought out their true colors and showed them up for the cold, shallow people they truly are. They didn't seem to shed a tear over her dying yet were willing to draw blood if it meant keeping her money to themselves. The really sickening part of it was that there wasn't even that much money to begin with.

Especially the way he went about it. My God, did he really think he was slick enough to pull this off and never be caught? He might as well have guilty tattooed on his forehead.
    Not an entire brain cell to be found.

I know what you mean. We don't talk to my dad's side of the family anymore because of it. My Nana dying brought out their true colors and showed them up for the cold, shallow people they truly are. They didn't seem to shed a tear over her dying yet were willing to draw blood if it meant keeping her money to themselves. The really sickening part of it was that there wasn't even that much money to begin with.
    That is a shame but seems too common.
    Minerva

Mammy Guest
    That's the way it is on my husband's maternal side of the family. His mother and her sisters had a knock down drag out after their mother died in 1991 and they all hate each other to this day. The poor old woman barely had a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, but it didn't keep her daughter's from nearly scratching each others eyes out over it. She had an ancient doublewide, some cheap costume jewelry, a decent set of china, and less than $300 in the bank. Greed and selfishness brings the ugly out in people quicker than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcitygirl View Post
    Yikes. I've been selling a lot on CL lately and I admit I've thought I've been safe because I always meet people in my lobby... but wow. I'm normally really cautious too, so that's actually scarier.

No...no...noooooo! Only takes one wacko to know you live in that building...

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    No...no...noooooo! Only takes one wacko to know you live in that building...
    I'm with you! I wouldn't do it either.

I can't help but wonder how many years Ronnie Towns has been harboring this kind of evil. From all reports so far he come's from a family that is highly respected, has a spotless criminal record, and the only red flag is that he was in the middle of some financial hardship, as most of us experience at some point. To even consider that this unspeakable act could be a solution to his problems is beyond anything we can comprehend. I just can't help but believe some folks are born evil. (And the Skylar Deleon case seriously made me want to put my foot in his smug little face over and over again!)
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Mammy Guest
    Before Bud and June were found, there was a Facebook page created for them and there are a lot of pictures of them on it. I sat and just sobbed looking at the pictures of them together, with their children and grandchildren, and on various vacations. They just look like such down to earth, kind people and I just hate what happened to them. They worked hard all of their lives and earned the things they wanted and just wanted to enjoy retirement and they were brutally murdered by some low life asshole looking for a quick buck that he didn't have to earn. I sure hope he gets the death penalty. There is no doubt at all how premeditated their murders were. I don't know how anyone can even consider doing something like that, nevermind actually going through with it. They had to have been so scared.

I am truly heartsick about this. I figured when I'd first heard about them being missing that it wouldn't end well, but I had hopes..... Dammit!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Before Bud and June were found, there was a Facebook page created for them and there are a lot of pictures of them on it. I sat and just sobbed looking at the pictures of them together, with their children and grandchildren, and on various vacations. They just look like such down to earth, kind people and I just hate what happened to them. They worked hard all of their lives and earned the things they wanted and just wanted to enjoy retirement and they were brutally murdered by some low life asshole looking for a quick buck that he didn't have to earn. I sure hope he gets the death penalty. There is no doubt at all how premeditated their murders were. I don't know how anyone can even consider doing something like that, nevermind actually going through with it. They had to have been so scared.
    The scared part is what gets me. Knowing that your life is about to end and there is nothing you can do. All over a small amount of money. I hope he gets the death penalty too.

Mammy Guest
    The scared part is what gets me. Knowing that your life is about to end and there is nothing you can do. All over a small amount of money. I hope he gets the death penalty too.
    I can't even imagine that kind of desperation and panic. I hurt for their loved ones who are left to agonize over the Runion's final moments of their lives. They just looked like such nice people. That loser better get the death penalty!

That's the way it is on my husband's maternal side of the family. His mother and her sisters had a knock down drag out after their mother died in 1991 and they all hate each other to this day. The poor old woman barely had a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, but it didn't keep her daughter's from nearly scratching each others eyes out over it. She had an ancient doublewide, some cheap costume jewelry, a decent set of china, and less than $300 in the bank. Greed and selfishness brings the ugly out in people quicker than anything.
    I've seen multi-million dollar estates being fought over for years. The only winners were attorneys who get paid regardless of who "wins" in court.
    Minerva

Mammy Guest
    I've seen multi-million dollar estates being fought over for years. The only winners were attorneys who get paid regardless of who "wins" in court.
    Anna Nicole Smith quickly came to mind. It just sucks that people are so greedy.

I know, it makes me sick. How scared they must have been.....and they looked so sweet.

Yes, hope he gets death. What a bastard.

Mr. Runion would have been around 20 when 1966 Mustangs first hit the roads. Wonder if he wanted one for sentimental reasons.

I hope this motherfucker gets death for this crime. The more painful, the better.
    Last edited by Upset; 01-30-2015 at 03:39 PM.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

how come guns are so easy to get ahold of?

Quote Originally Posted by suzycreamcheese1 View Post
    how come guns are so easy to get ahold of?
    Thy put really good grips on them.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Thy put really good grips on them.
    Ka-BOOM! Lol
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    Mr. Runion would have been around 20 when 1966 Mustangs first hit the roads. Wonder if he wanted one for sentimental reasons.

I hope this motherfucker gets death for this crime. The more painful, the better.
    I read in an earlier article that it was his dream car. If I find the article again, I'll post a link here. Just thinking about how excited they must have been to finally be getting his dream car just makes what happened to them even worse. I just can't comprehend the level of evil a person would have to be to commit such a horrible crime against totally innocent victims.

I read in an earlier article that it was his dream car. If I find the article again, I'll post a link here. Just thinking about how excited they must have been to finally be getting his dream car just makes what happened to them even worse. I just can't comprehend the level of evil a person would have to be to commit such a horrible crime against totally innocent victims.
    That's so sad.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

I read that too. It was his dream car ever since he got back from Viet Nam Our neighbor has 2 storage lockers full of awesome stuff and wants us to sell it for him on Craigslist. I don't think I want to do this

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Lynn View Post
    I read that too. It was his dream car ever since he got back from Viet Nam Our neighbor has 2 storage lockers full of awesome stuff and wants us to sell it for him on Craigslist. I don't think I want to do this
    I want no part of Craigslist. There have been some really heinous crimes that have a Craigslist connection. My daughter and her husband use it a lot and I keep trying to get her not to, but she thinks I'm overreacting. She is twenty six years old, so there's nothing I can do about it, but I made sure she knew about what happened to the Runions. If I was in your situation with the neighbor, I wouldn't agree to it. Even without all of the horror stories, there are still tons of scammers looking to take advantage of people.

lynn wilson Guest
    I have only used craigslist a couple of times.. once to get a dog for my daughter...we met in daylight at a walmart parking lot...and her dad was in another car a few spots behind us just in case something did happen,we stood behind the car that way he could pull out behind us....

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lynn wilson View Post
    I have only used craigslist a couple of times.. once to get a dog for my daughter...we met in daylight at a walmart parking lot...and her dad was in another car a few spots behind us just in case something did happen,we stood behind the car that way he could pull out behind us....
    That's sounds like a good way to handle the transactions. The Runions were around the same age as my parents and my parents pretty much take what people say at face value and naturally assume people don't have bad intentions. My Dad is also into vintage cars, so I can imagine my parents going to meet someone to check out a car they might be interested in buying. I guess that's why the death of the Runions has got to me so much. I can't imagine how I would feel if some lowlife did that to my parents and my heart aches for the children and other loved ones of the Runions. Their lives will never be the same again.

Seeing their pictures on facebook and all that they had and the great love they had for their family and eachother, just makes me so sad to see their lives snuffed out. Just like Mr and Mrs Tyrrell.

The key to using sites like Craigslist is to meet in very public places, but to first confirm the person is on the level and has personal photos of the item(s) you are interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    The key to using sites like Craigslist is to meet in very public places, but to first confirm the person is on the level and has personal photos of the item(s) you are interested in.
    This is a wonderful policy. The same would be true for yard sale sites, freecycle sites, newspaper ads, etc. There is nothing inherently evil about any of these sites. There is however evil in the world and it will show up everywhere. We have to be vigilant about being safe. And dammit, if someone uses any of these sites for evil, they need to be PUNISHED to the full extent of the law!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]