Thread: Slow Reading in a Hurried Age

Slow Reading in a Hurried Age

I heard about slow reading parties the other day on the radio and thought, what a nice idea. We could all use a break in this age of constant interruptions and get it done yesterdayness. So I thought I'd share this with you guys to see what you think.

Wish I could find a link to the radio story but it's nowhere to be found. This explains the premise and the reasoning behind slow reading parties rather well.:

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.p...=9780674724723
    Last edited by SomeChick; 10-20-2014 at 05:13 PM.

I love the feel and smell of a real book in my hands. Pretty much all our old mom and Pop book stores are gone now. Damn shame. To really get the smell of old books I go down to OU in Norman and read a book there and inhale the knowledge. I never have or never will own an e-reader.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I heard about slow reading parties the other day on the radio and thought, what a nice idea. We could all use a break in this age of constant interruptions and get it done yesterdayness. So I thought I'd share this with you guys to see what you think.

Wish I could find a link to the radio story but it's nowhere to be found. This explains the premise and the reasoning behind slow reading parties rather well.:

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.p...=9780674724723

Thank you for posting this
    I heard this as well and I LOVE the idea......I love my books! I read incessantly.....average 2 to 3 books a week.
    Beats the hell out of TeeVee

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I love the feel and smell of a real book in my hands. Pretty much all our old mom and Pop book stores are gone now. Damn shame. To really get the smell of old books I go down to OU in Norman and read a book there and inhale the knowledge. I never have or never will own an e-reader.
    Me too. I have a Kindle and have done quite a bit of reading on it. I went to a huge flea market the other day and it was FULL of old used paperbacks. I thought I was in heaven. I brought home a sack full. One of them was a Greg Iles book I had not yet read. Just holding the book was so much more relaxing and cozy.

Plus books never run out of batteries. You can even read then by candle light when the power goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Plus books never run out of batteries. You can even read then by candle light when the power goes out.
    Yep yep. It was like being in a candy store.

We have books for all ages all around our house. We read to our Grandchildren. When my son was in the Navy on the USS Carl Vinson my care packages would be paperbacks and beef jerky (made locally). He always donated the books to the Ship's Library after reading them.

I've tried reading books on my tablet PC and it just doesn't feel right. I love to lie in bed and flip paper pages.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I've started reading again because people started giving me all kinds of books. And after my divorce I was going through what's mine/what's his and separating it. I couldn't believe how many books I had tucked away and never read in the place. This from someone who learned to read at 3 years old, lol. I just never had the time. Always working on that house.

My mom is an avid reader. Books are stuffed in every nook and cranny at her place. When I was younger and we'd read the same one, she used to tell me I absorbed more details than she did, yet she's very sharp. Remembers things I don't about things that happened over 40 years ago.

My friend's mom just opened a book store around the corner from me. I see the sign a few times a week. I think I'll take my mom in there for her birthday later this week if she feels like going. I think she's like that.

What I like most about slow reading parties is the lack of buzzing, whirring devices, people not taking pics of themselves, instagraming or facebooking them. It defeats the purpose naturally. Studies also show that too much time spent on computers, smartphones and such interrupts our thought patterns constantly because we go to a site for a reason and are bombarded with ads and other distracting crap that shorten our attention spans. Eyes constantly diverted by pop-ups, having to stop focusing on what we want to to get rid of it, text messages popping up while we're reading and other things along those lines.

That used to happen to me constantly. Awhile back I turned the ringer and all media sounds off on my phone. It got to be that annoying. Later I started turning it off at night. I don't need it when I'm sleeping, lol. And it saves on my data allowance. Some people like all that buzzing, whirring nonsense. I like peace and quiet. I also like boundaries. If people think you're available 24 hours a day, they will bug you endlessly without realizing they're doing so. And it's awkward to have to tell them all. So no. Off it goes. When there is no immediate response, they take the hint.

I like my brain on track and enjoy giving it back it's ability to focus. Books and real conversation are great for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I've started reading again because people started giving me all kinds of books. And after my divorce I was going through what's mine/what's his and separating it. I couldn't believe how many books I had tucked away and never read in the place. This from someone who learned to read at 3 years old, lol. I just never had the time. Always working on that house.

My mom is an avid reader. Books are stuffed in every nook and cranny at her place. When I was younger and we'd read the same one, she used to tell me I absorbed more details than she did, yet she's very sharp. Remembers things I don't about things that happened over 40 years ago.

My friend's mom just opened a book store around the corner from me. I see the sign a few times a week. I think I'll take my mom in there for her birthday later this week if she feels like going. I think she's like that.

What I like most about slow reading parties is the lack of buzzing, whirring devices, people not taking pics of themselves, instagraming or facebooking them. It defeats the purpose naturally. Studies also show that too much time spent on computers, smartphones and such interrupts our thought patterns constantly because we go to a site for a reason and are bombarded with ads and other distracting crap that shorten our attention spans. Eyes constantly diverted by pop-ups, having to stop focusing on what we want to to get rid of it, text messages popping up while we're reading and other things along those lines.

That used to happen to me constantly. Awhile back I turned the ringer and all media sounds off on my phone. It got to be that annoying. Later I started turning it off at night. I don't need it when I'm sleeping, lol. And it saves on my data allowance. Some people like all that buzzing, whirring nonsense. I like peace and quiet. I also like boundaries. If people think you're available 24 hours a day, they will bug you endlessly without realizing they're doing so. And it's awkward to have to tell them all. So no. Off it goes. When there is no immediate response, they take the hint.

I like my brain on track and enjoy giving it back it's ability to focus. Books and real conversation are great for that.
    I would love to own a cozy book store. That would be so fun.

I think it'll be cozy. It's tiny. One of two businesses in an old house that looks to have been built it the 30's or 40's. A cute little cottage style. Don't recall what the other business is. Probably because it doesn't interest me, lol.

I also like that it's down the street from my favorite bakery. Picking up a book and something tasty is so my mom's style.

endsleigh03 Guest
    I find I am using my e-reader almost exclusively, mostly because it's hooked to the library. I miss real books, with real pages.

I'm going to hit all of the garage sales this weekend

I enjoy both my Kindle and real books. I love to read; mostly nonfiction, history based, biographies, etc., some novels. I like the Kindle in that I don't have to find a place to store the books; all my shelves are full. But, I've spent many a dime in the Half-Price Bookstore, estate sales, etc. Sometimes that's cheaper than an e-book, too.