Thread: Buford Pusser

Batmama Guest

Buford Pusser

I've always been fascinated by Buford Pusser.The Walking Tall movies were based on his life.Anyone else have any thoughts on him?

don't_axe_me Guest
    What did he do to deserve that name?

Batmama Guest
    He was Sheriff in McNary County Tennesse back in the `70's.He took on a bunch known as the State Line Mob that that ran illegal gambling,prositution,and bootleg liquor operations.In the process of cleaning up the County he was shot several times and he and his wife were ambushed and she was killed.

don't_axe_me Guest
    Oh, I know WHO he was, I just feel sorry for him having that name. Sorry, just me being facetious.

Darrianne Guest
    I loved those movies...watched them as a kid and again after I grew up.

mommafreak Guest
    Is this the same one that The Rock - Dewayne Johnson remade?

Batmama Guest
    Yes,The Rock's version though was not fact based.

xenaswolf Guest
    Who did you like better as Buford? Joe Don Baker or Bo Svenson? I think I like Joe Don myself.

Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    Who did you like better as Buford? Joe Don Baker or Bo Svenson? I think I like Joe Don myself.

Agreed. JDB was much better than Bo.

Buford was no angel.

Although some of his kin still say his death was some conspiracy, he died because he was DUI.

Darrianne Guest

Joe Don!

Batmama Guest
    Hands down Joe Don was the best.

RoRo Guest
    They have a museum and I think an annual memorial celebration for him down in McNairy county. His daughter really works to keep his memory alive and they get alot of folks down there each year. She went to the Rock's movie premiere even though it wasn't her daddy's story. Some folks here in Tn didn't like the movie being done because of the confusion with the first ones. But Buford was a wrestler before he went into law and I think he would have liked it.

Batmama Guest
    His daughter has a website about Buford.

www.sheriffbufordpusser.com

Another childhood memory getting jogged back into my head. Pusser was my hero as a little kid. What about Billy Jack?

RoRo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Another childhood memory getting jogged back into my head. Pusser was my hero as a little kid. What about Billy Jack?
    You should check out http://www.billyjack.com/ Tom Laughlin is still extremely political ...interesting site.

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    You should check out http://www.billyjack.com/ Tom Laughlin is still extremely political ...interesting site.
    just seen it. pretty fuuny stuff. I hope he's not making a new Billy Jack movie

bealer Guest
    Not sure how many of you know that Elizabeth Hartman who played Buffords wife in the movie Walking tall also died a very tragic death by jumping off the 5th floor of an apartment building. Sad story.
    http://imdb.com/name/nm0366946/bio

NOVSTORM Guest

I love JOe Don Baker lol

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post
    Agreed. JDB was much better than Bo.

Buford was no angel.

Although some of his kin still say his death was some conspiracy, he died because he was DUI.
    Not that I read. He had a tire blow out or it was shot out. Never heard one word that he was drunk. Where did ya read that?

Hag1 Guest
    I vote for Joe Don! But I didn't like Elizabeth Hartman in this, too mousy. Just like I didn't like the ugly woman in the Billy Jack movies. Was she Billy Jack's real wife?

Katie Guest
    I asked my hubby his vote on the best since he is a fan, and says Bo.

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Loved that movie when I was a kid. Haven't thought about that in many years. I bet if I watched it now...

Noelle Page Guest
    Billy Jack....that was the COOLEST movie to go see back then. It had ass-kicking violence and a social message, can't beat that!

King Tut Guest
    Bo Svensen bore a striking facial and physical resemblance to Buford (during the last 5 years of his life). JD Baker looked nothing like him and was much shorter. I personally like WT Part II the best but then again my favorite Rocky movie is III so what the hell do I know?

http://www.midsouthwrestling.com/BUFFORD-PUSSER.html

Click the link and scroll down for a side by side of Bo and Buford.

Pusser!! LMAO what a name

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    Pusser!! LMAO what a name
    Ya know, we must be waaaay bored, cause when I saw this thread bumpedtoday, and the name, I started laughing hysterically also !

Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Ya know, we must be waaaay bored, cause when I saw this thread bumpedtoday, and the name, I started laughing hysterically also !

exactly!! it has been kinda dull around here lately

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    exactly!! it has been kinda dull around here lately

Ok....then this should liven it up a bit.....this is my official 3,000 FAD post - under Pusser !!!! Will confetti drop from the ceiling now ??? lol

Ok....then this should liven it up a bit.....this is my official 3,000 FAD post - under Pusser !!!! Will confetti drop from the ceiling now ??? lol
    Yaaaaay Jaz! (Not quite confetti but it's the best I could do )

Quote Originally Posted by Batmama View Post
    Hands down Joe Don was the best.

I agree. I have the "Walking Tall" trilogy and watch it ever chance I get.

Congrats on 3,000 posts! *throws confetti at you instead of from the ceiling*
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

King Tut Guest
    Congrats on 3000^^^^

I bet one factor in Pusser turning out to be such a badass WAS HIS NAME. Can you imagine how brutal the other kids must have been when he was growing up about his name? Bet when he got to 6'6" & 250 they shut the fuck up.

endsleigh03 Guest

endsleigh03 Guest
    Have to read up on this...what happened to his face?

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Have to read up on this...what happened to his face?
    Probably due partly to childhood fights over his name; or the murder attempts during which he was shot.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Tracyb24 Guest
    I've been through his home. All I remember was that it was brick and that there was a t.v. in the KITCHEN. I was very impressed with that. I was so young. Other than that, I was pissed cause I wanted to go to Florida. To me it was boooorrriing.

msmojorisin84 Guest
    I've been on a quest for 5 years to see his death car in Pigeon Forge...no one will ever go with me though....it's at a police memorabilia museum, on main street. Hmmm, I smell a road trip!!

Joe Don owned that role for sure. I just never really cared much for Bo Svenson, although he played his asshole role well in "Heartbrak Ridge".
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by msmojorisin84 View Post
    I've been on a quest for 5 years to see his death car in Pigeon Forge...no one will ever go with me though....it's at a police memorabilia museum, on main street. Hmmm, I smell a road trip!!

I'd love to go there, also....I ain't gotten that chance yet, though...
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Yaaaaay Jaz! (Not quite confetti but it's the best I could do )
    Well thank you kindly !!!!!

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I agree. I have the "Walking Tall" trilogy and watch it ever chance I get.

Congrats on 3,000 posts! *throws confetti at you instead of from the ceiling*
    oh thank you !!

msmojorisin84 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I'd love to go there, also....I ain't gotten that chance yet, though...
    I recommend a trip to Pigeon Forge..anyway...go to the land of Dolly!(Dollywood)

Quote Originally Posted by msmojorisin84 View Post
    I recommend a trip to Pigeon Forge..anyway...go to the land of Dolly!(Dollywood)

I've been to Dollywood too many times to count. I dislike it cuz of having to walk so much. Although, I did conquer my fear of heights last year when I went....and I also rode my first real roller coaster (Tennessee Tornado) and another ride I can't think of the name of where it takes you upside down for a brief period of time towards the end of the ride.

Jaxxx Guest
    I didn't like the walking tall movies, I'm sure he was a good man, but it seemed overly brutal in the movies

darock299 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Not that I read. He had a tire blow out or it was shot out. Never heard one word that he was drunk. Where did ya read that?
    i heard it was break tampering.....he was driving 100 mph on the road in his corvette........he was supposed to start filming wt part too....he was to play himself...but the tragedy happened....thats why they hired bo to take his place in the movie.......bo had more resemblance to bufford anyway.

Sylkyn Guest
    My grandmother (now deceased) used to babysit Buford Pusser when he was a baby. She and her husband (my step-grandfather) lived near them for years. She said his parents were extremely nice people and that he was a sweet little boy. She enjoyed the movies themselves, but said McNairy County must've gotten bad after she left because she didn't recall it being the crime-ridden area that was portrayed, while she lived there. Of course, that was years before, so it probably wasn't.