Thread: Saturday Night Live's Don Pardo

Saturday Night Live's Don Pardo

Awww. Suck! His voice has always been so comfortable for me over the opening song. Rest in Peace Fine Sir.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

He was such a big part of TV history.
    Cindy

Damn RIP Sir....what a great announcer
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Wow. 96? If only we can all be so lucky. RIP, SNL will never be the same.

When I heard that he had passed away this morning, I really thought he had already passed away a few years ago. Perhaps I was thinking of when he retired, although according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Pardo), he still continued to work after he officially retired.

And yes, 96 is awesome. I think the secret to living so long is to keep working, or at the very least, being of service to others. My Dad is 90 and still helps run interference with my two teenage boys, is active in his community and is the official house watcher and mail picker-upper for all the neighbors on his street when they go out of town. And at my kids' middle school, there was a lovely little lady who was the health room nurse and teacher's aid for various grades who continued to work until she was 94, about a year ago. She passed away less than a year ago after a brief illness.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

funny, the last SNL episode of the season I was actually thinking "damn, that guy has to be old... what will they do when he goes?" I guess I will see come next season.

phirerednga Guest
    RIP Mr Pardo, you shall be missed.

I asked a family member who was nearing 100 what she thought the secret to living that long was and she said to stay busy and that way you won't have the time to die. RIP Don Pardo.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    He was such a big part of TV history.
    Yes he was, I remember when he did his stint on Jeopardy.

Forever-27 Guest
    He did ' ten at 10, ten great songs from one great year for the local station here KFOG in San Francisco. ' let's spin the big wheel and see what year land on today Dave ' Its 1972 today on ten at 10 " , id look foward to that every morning. Saturday Night Live lost its edge back in the 80s so I have watched it since maybe 1988. Don had one of thoes unmistakeable voices that no matter what he announced it would get you amped up. Few people are as recognisable. Pardo, Wolfman Jack and maybe Howard Cosell to name a few.
    Last edited by Forever-27; 08-22-2014 at 02:36 PM.

I loved that big happy wonderful voice of his. (Zappa in NY, anyone?)

Darrell Hammond is taking over the annoucer duties.
    He did it a few times when Don Pardo was sick.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    Don Pardo will be buried with "This beautiful lounge set, and a case of Rice-A-Roni the San Francisco Treat, and that's not all! This fabulous golf cart that features horn and whistle sounds, plus a 50 gallon barrel of emerald green Liquid Prell Shampoo that leaves his hair silky and soft for that once in a lifetime feel!"

He was a classic.

Dang, I saw the first show when it originally aired and really liked him. Especially when they'd add his voice to bits and those fake commercials they used to do.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Poo Bah MCGee View Post
    Don Pardo will be buried with "This beautiful lounge set, and a case of Rice-A-Roni the San Francisco Treat, and that's not all! This fabulous golf cart that features horn and whistle sounds, plus a 50 gallon barrel of emerald green Liquid Prell Shampoo that leaves his hair silky and soft for that once in a lifetime feel!"

He was a classic.
    LMAO! That was sheer brilliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    LMAO! That was sheer brilliance!

Every Comedian would have loved to have had Don Pardo announce their names on SNL, that is when you knew you made it.

R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Every Comedian would have loved to have had Don Pardo announce their names on SNL, that is when you knew you made it.

R.I.P.
    ..or really anyone else who was in broadcasting for that matter. Back in the early 90's my hometown had a classic rock station and they managed to get Don Pardo to do the liners example "...You are listening to Kevin Avery on 99.3 The FOX". Their airstaff thought it was soooo cool to have someone like THE Don Pardo mentioning their names.

Unfortunately when the station fell into the Clear Channel family that was the end of Pardo's days at the FOX.