Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8151617

Thread: Shooting of Michael Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    No shit! Why stop there, maybe they name a street or a park after him.
    Or an elementary school.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    Or an elementary school.
    or a holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    or a holiday!
    A looting holiday.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    hahaha He even looks thuggy on the memorial.
    Well, on the bright side, they seem to have a pretty good job of capturing his persona.

Michael Brown Shooting Art Exhibit opens in Chicago:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/micha...ns-in-chicago/

Wonder why they did not have the exhibit of him stealing, beating up a store owner, etc....
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    Wonder why they did not have the exhibit of him stealing, beating up a store owner, etc....
    Oh come on! We can't have actual facts cloud artistic freedoms.
    Minerva

Oh come on! We can't have actual facts cloud artistic freedoms.
    Dear god in heaven........it's the end of days , I swear
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    March 1934-July 2016

lol of course, just portray him as the victim, doesn't matter what he did. He's black!

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    Dear god in heaven........it's the end of days , I swear
    Seriously. That is absolutely ridiculous.

Ferguson has hired a black police chief - should solve all the problems

http://nypost.com/2015/07/22/ferguso...interim-chief/

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Ferguson has hired a black police chief - should solve all the problems

http://nypost.com/2015/07/22/ferguso...interim-chief/
    Its sad but I think we've got to the point where the black community won't trust anyone in high profile position unless they're black. Its sad that the people in charge of making those decisions are spineless enough to allow that. And its sad that there is nothing the rest of us can do but watch. In my opinion, it will only pull us further apart as a country.
    Minerva

Being from the area, let me say the man seems to be very qualified and a very good fit for the ENTIRE community. The reactionary talk on this thread is not worthy of this board.

duffyman, embers here can talk any way they want, as long as they do not break the rules, Rule 4, and you are breaking the rules by saying that, also Rule 4.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Its sad but I think we've got to the point where the black community won't trust anyone in high profile position unless they're black. Its sad that the people in charge of making those decisions are spineless enough to allow that. And its sad that there is nothing the rest of us can do but watch. In my opinion, it will only pull us further apart as a country.
    When I heard they hired a police chief I knew he would be black. He sounds qualified so that's good but still I think if race shouldn't be considered in not hiring someone, it should work the other way as well. The fact that the article makes it a point to say that he is black is sad in of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    When I heard they hired a police chief I knew he would be black. He sounds qualified so that's good but still I think if race shouldn't be considered in not hiring someone, it should work the other way as well. The fact that the article makes it a point to say that he is black is sad in of itself.
    Agreed. The area needs all the help it can get, but I was raised to be color blind and now I'm wondering if I'm the only one. Sad.
    Minerva

Michael Brown Shooting Art Exhibit opens in Chicago:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/micha...ns-in-chicago/

I do not as a rule get this gobsmacked but ??????????

Definitely agree, this is just making the divide worse. We need to all be able to work together and not be suspicious of every thing that happens to a black person. I will be the first to admit that there are racist police officers and those ones need to be dealt with but we are at the point that every single thing that happens to a black person by a white person is because that person was racist, no matter what the black person did. It has to stop. Black lives matter. White lives matter. All lives matter. And I hope the black lives matter people are protesting black on black crime because that is more prevalent and they should know more than anyone that black lives matter. I hate the separation of _____ lives matter. We all do. At the Pride fest these people were chanting Queer Lives Matter and Trans Lives Matter, and I was like yah, you're preaching to the choir here, save it for the people who don't seem to think that.

Very well said AtomicBettie!!! When I was growing up, they desegregated the schools, bussing white kids into some schools and black kids into other schools. As you might remember (if you're old enough), the protests and riots, suspicions about one another and the name calling, etc., were scary and horrible. What's going on these days reminds me of that.
    Minerva

I don't remember it personally but I have watched lots of stuff about it, and it was terrible. White people have been horrible, there is no doubt about that. There is and was a lot of ignorance. But growing up in a different time and place I thought we were past a lot of that. But I'm sure it's harder for black people to forget. As I just wrote in a paper on race for my sociology class, we tend to remember the bad things people have done (or do) as a group and forget the good. The history of what white people have done to black people is definitely still in their culture, so they still think of the horrible things that white people have done in the past and tend to forget that the majority of white people no longer think like that and think that stuff was just as horrible as they do.

On Facebook some people were just talking about an old episode of All in the Family in a group I belong to, where a black guy drops a glass on Archie or something, then he and Mike recall the incident from their own perspective. Mike's is just the guy dropping his drink, and the glass broke and fell on Archie. In Archie's version the guy has a huge afro and is wearing a dashiki, holding a switchblade to Archie's throat. Apparently then someone comes in and tells the real story and it's somewhere in the middle, but I thought it was such an interesting portrayal of how people's perception can change their reality.

I'm getting all convoluted and confusing myself now but what it boils down to is that we need to move on, all of us, and realize that people are people, and judge what they have done based on their individual actions and not their skin color or heritage. Not to say we need to forget history, that is dangerous too, but we can't let it taint everything for the rest of time. It's too easy for any of us, black, white or other, to let other factors that really have nothing to do with the current situation color our viewpoint, and while that is natural, it's also dangerous. I'm not saying people shouldn't be proud of their heritage, and that everyone should be the same culturally. Culture is important. But when it starts to get in the way of justice and reality and becomes a matter of life and death we need to strip that away and realize we are all just human beings. When a white person does something wrong and gets in trouble it's because they behaved badly. When a black person does something wrong and gets in trouble too many people are too quick to jump to the assumption that they are getting in trouble because they are black, and ignore the behavior. A white person might assume a black person is a criminal but a black person assuming a white (police officer in these cases) person is a racist is just as bad, and can affect their situation just as badly.

Bettie, during the school busing, it wasn't white people alone being horrible. We were four little girls growing up in San Diego, beach kids, with long blonde hair. We were threatened with our heads being shaved, etc., and my older sister going to middle school was threatened - black girls telling her they would shove hypodermic needles into her and break them off under her skin. We were scared to death. Both of my parents were police officers and they saw the worst of everything. I was dragged off a playground swing and beat up on by about 10 black kids. It wasn't until my parents found me that I was pulled to safety. I know the media likes to play up how horrible white people are to blacks, but they're hiding the fact that black people are every bit as bad as white people are/were. Its just that we're all supposed to be guilty, etc., for things that happened hundreds of years ago that NONE of us had anything to do with. If anyone is waiting for me to express any sort of white guilt, they're going to be waiting a fucking long time.
    Minerva

Oh man, that is horrible. That's the kind of stuff you never hear about, that's for sure. Everything I've read about that time was how the white people were so terrible to the black kids who were being brought in. I guess it goes to show you can't believe everything you read regarding history, but of course I think we all know that. And like I was saying in the Hulk Hogan thread, I hate when anything is erased in history. History should be just that, history, what happened, all inclusive. No one is doing anyone any favors by pretending that things didn't happen that did.

You're not the only one McCourt. What happened hundreds of years ago is not the fault of the people of today, and what happened to our ancestors, black, white, native american, did not happen to the people of today. We shouldn't forget what happened, but we shouldn't let it rule our everyday lives either, nor should we blame what happened then on other people.

In the 60s it was a case of black people being angry at what was happening to them and wanting some kind of voice, even if in some cases it was violence. With white people it was very much that they had worked for what they had and felt it being taken away from them. They too were looking for a voice and sometimes turned to violence.

Its similar to Northern Ireland. Generations of abuse and mistrust. Retributions always fuels retribution. Ideally, white people should not be suspicious of the appointment of a black police chief any more than black people should be suspicious of the appointment of a white one. Unfortunately, history can and does both inform and cloud our perspective.

Both sides need to try and be the one to first let go of the past and try to get on with the future. The biggest issue in Ferguson was not what happened to Michael Brown as much as it was what happened before him. The biggest issue now, is that while that community seems to be learning from their past, those on the outside are too anxious to make a statement - and make a buck - by trying to continue the old status quo without allowing them to heal.

They have built a community center there where the riots occurred. They have built a jobs center there to assist the poor. They have had numerous community gatherings to celebrate the city where blacks and whites have partied and played together in peace.

None of that gets reported outside the area. Instead, the national news comes in and only shows what it wants.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    You're not the only one McCourt. What happened hundreds of years ago is not the fault of the people of today, and what happened to our ancestors, black, white, native american, did not happen to the people of today. We shouldn't forget what happened, but we shouldn't let it rule our everyday lives either, nor should we blame what happened then on other people.
    Well said!! Couldn't agree more Pkstracy.
    Minerva

Don't blame him. He's lucky to be alive.
    Minerva

One year anniversary coming up. Time to riot and loot again. Feel sorry for the businesses that have rebuilt in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    One year anniversary coming up. Time to riot and loot again. Feel sorry for the businesses that have rebuilt in that area.
    At least The good Reverend, Mr Sharpton, and all the looters from across the country can get together and enjoy the weekend.
    March 1934-July 2016

I agree with what he's saying, he probably could have said it in a little less inflammatory way, but he's probably kind of pissed that he lost everything by trying to save his own life.

It's the one year anniversary of the shooting. My Facebook is blowing up with comments, unsurprisingly.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

It's the one year anniversary of the shooting. My Facebook is blowing up with comments, unsurprisingly.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Last edited by cash; 05-11-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Brown's mother has written a book

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...d-shame-devil/

yeah because he was such an nice and innocent guy

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertai...vil-interview/

I saw a commercial that she either has been or is going to be a guest on Dr. Phil's show. Anyone else hear this? I already cannot stand Dr. Phil but is he seriously going to allow her to talk shit about the police
    Minerva

I saw a commercial that she either has been or is going to be a guest on Dr. Phil's show. Anyone else hear this? I already cannot stand Dr. Phil but is he seriously going to allow her to talk shit about the police
    It's all about the ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    It's all about the ratings.
    If he allowed me to go on his show and smack the crap out of him, ratings would go through the roof.
    Minerva

Oh I wish I could see that Dr. Phil and see if he just goes along with her or if he brings up any actual facts about the case. Who am I kidding?

And so that book is pretty much just about her, and not Michael. Her "love of her son". Says the story of his killing doesn't come in until about page 200. And her face front and center on the cover... kind of screams attention whore. Even though her son wasn't an angel, it's no excuse to write a book about yourself with your son's murder (which had a huge impact on the entire country) as pretty much an afterthought, it sounds like.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 05-16-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Just read:

Tell the Truth and Shame the Devil by Lezley McSpadden - Michael Brown's mother.

Most of this book is about the author. There is very little about Michael Brown. Her story is far too typical - pregnant at 15 - four kids before the age of 30 with two different men both who abused her. Michael Brown's father was absent during his life and shows up after he was killed. LM's father also was absent during most of her life. The only decent people in Michael Brown's life were his maternal grandmother and paternal grandparents. LM never finished high school and there was a lot of moving around - Michael Brown was more or less raised by his grandparents.

Michael Brown was a big kid with a huge appetite, never played sports - he had high blood pressure at age 16. He may have had some mental issues which were untreated - in the weeks leading up to his death, he was acting strange and started about seeing visions of God in the sky. Not much detail about Brown's final hours - the author claims he never had any legal issues. She also claims to never heard of Dorian Johnson who was with MB on the day of his shooting and participated in the convenience store robbery.

LM and the entire community put a lot of faith into Eric Holder and the DOJ investigation. Holder comes across as a terrible human being - this guy made a lot of false promises about justice for Michael. The author seems to be in denial over the shooting and her son's role in his death. She may want to read the DOJ report in detail. A lot of denial in this book.

I'm sorry for her but he pretty much gave them no choice.
    Minerva

So...you're writing a book about your son. Wouldn't you put his picture on it?
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

A filmmaker says Brown wasn't robbing the convenience store but the fight was over a drug deal

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7625651.html

the Brown has settled with the City of Ferguson - the amount will apparently not be disclosed

http://nypost.com/2017/06/20/michael...with-ferguson/

Ferguson officer won't be charged for 2014 killing - I thought this case was closed a long time ago.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53603923

I came across a recent picture of former Officer Darren Wilson. Someone who recognized him snapped a picture
    during his work out at a park. It would be interesting to know what he is doing for employment nowadays. He's
    still keeping himself in shape, possibly for a future law enforcement job. I know before the Michael Brown shooting
    he received an award for physically subduing two black drug dealers by himself. One was another 300 pounder
    like Brown. Wilson is a muscular 6'4' and 210 pounds trained in hand to hand combat and could have taken
    down Brown if he could have verified he wasn't armed with a knife.
    Brown charged him and he had to make a split second decision. After he resigned he married
    his supervisor who was pregnant with his child.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DARREN WILSON  AT PARK.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	55414
    Last edited by ProfessorMoriarty; 05-18-2022 at 02:43 PM. Reason: PHOTO OPENING PROBLEM