Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by weirdgurl View Post
    As I have stated before, prior to the woman who came back from her honeymoon around the world, and now Robin Williams, I had absolutely NO idea of how easy it was to hang (asphyxiate) yourself. I always pictured a noose and a ladder, etc. I wonder if you would have enough time to realize that you were blacking out and to get up. This past winter my Shifu was discussing ways to immobilize an attacker in my martial arts class. He was talking about compression and I asked him to demonstrate using me (I know, WTF?). I had my hand on his arm so I could tap out as soon as I felt myself passing out. I started to black out almost immediately and barely had time to go from realizing I was going to pass out and to tap out. I have passed out before and that was totally different. I could feel it coming on. With the compression I had a split second realization and it seemed more like this kind of slow motion thought of, "wow". I was standing, with my hand on his arm to tap and with a highly experienced Master knowing exactly what was happening. I think that if a person was hanging himself, all it would take would be a few seconds of being unable to release the pressure and it would be too late. I don't know how quickly you would die, but you would be unconscious and unable to do anything to change the outcome.
    I don't think there are any do-overs with this kind of suicide. It's pretty scary.
    Wow, thank you for that insight

Still feeling gutted over this

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    Let us know what you think. I need to watch it again.
    World's Greatest Dad was good!! It stayed with me for a few days. Slight kind of spoiler but not really: I actually found the first part to be almost unbearably sad given the circumstances. When he found his son the first time, I got chills and Robin's death hit me bad, it was almost like seeing it. But as the movie went on and it lightened up, I really liked it. The people obsessing and loving the boy they didn't know and/or hated was entertaining because I've known people to be ridiculous like that. I liked the ending a lot. I think I'll have to watch it again soon - I tend to need to watch a movie more than once to get it's full effect and meaning. Robin's acting in that movie is superb!

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by icalledhisname View Post
    World's Greatest Dad was good!! It stayed with me for a few days. Slight kind of spoiler but not really: I actually found the first part to be almost unbearably sad given the circumstances. When he found his son the first time, I got chills and Robin's death hit me bad, it was almost like seeing it. But as the movie went on and it lightened up, I really liked it. The people obsessing and loving the boy they didn't know and/or hated was entertaining because I've known people to be ridiculous like that. I liked the ending a lot. I think I'll have to watch it again soon - I tend to need to watch a movie more than once to get it's full effect and meaning. Robin's acting in that movie is superb!
    I'm glad you came back and told us what you thought of it. It's hilarious how they make him into a saint when he was such a little shithead lol

I agree with basically everything you said here. And I also agree about seeing movies multiple times to get the "full effect".
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Finally saw "Good Will Hunting"

Hmmm, personally I think "The Fisher King" was a better film.............

ScarletApparition Guest
    I am still so sad over Robin Williams, it breaks my heart.

Umm.... Tox results? Suicide note? Final press conference? *looks at wrist to check the time where there is no watch ala Chevy Chase*

Wow, he really looks fantastic here.

Picture of the week...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BwtjrpsIAAAPPNO.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	51434  

Robin on 'Shrink Rap'

Here's Robin Williams talking to Pamela Stephenson on Shrink Rap in 2007. Nice to see him calm and sincere, not constantly riffing and interrupting the interviewer. He talks about the lonely childhood, how fame affected him, getting into drugs, and other psychological stuff.

Part 1:

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC37y79CzkM
    Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhBiXETg1f0
    Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHrQa9R2Zg0

I watched Good Morning, Vietnam on Netflix last night, and it actually brought tears to my eyes a few times. Not only because I have always loved Robin, and it makes me sad knowing that he is gone, but some of the shots in that movie reminded me so much of the pictures my family recently got of my beloved uncle (whom I miss like crazy) when HE was in Vietnam.

I think another reason why Robins death made me so sad is because he is the same age as my Daddy....
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”

I wonder when that photo was taken because Robin looks bad... really really bad. Joke = I wonder if Joan's fur or Robin is hairier.

Benion Guest
    What saddens me is I thought he would be the last person to commit suicide. With Kurt Cobain I saw it coming (either suicide or accidental OD)-that guy was a dead man walking. I am annoyed at myself as he was clearly bipolar, but I guess the only side I actually wanted to see was the gregarious hypomanic over-the-top Robin. Unfortunately when people are up very high, they can crash down too low. No-one ever saw the miserable, depressed Robin as he probably isolated himself on the bad days.

Such an incredible talent and such a sad loss to the rest of us.

Benion Guest
    It was a brilliant film.

PBS's "Pioneers of Television" will be all about Robin. Where I live it's on next Tuesday at 8:00 P.M. Should be worth a watch.

Zilla Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    PBS's "Pioneers of Television" will be all about Robin. Where I live it's on next Tuesday at 8:00 P.M. Should be worth a watch.
    Particularly since Pam Dawber will be speaking at length on her experiences with and relationship with Robin.

Little Chief Guest
    Got up to page 2 of the thread, started crying. Can't do it, this one really hit me. Even in the days shortly after he died, someone would post a photo or link on tumblr or fb and I'd just start sobbing. Absolutely awful.

weirdgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiolus View Post
    Here's Robin Williams talking to Pamela Stephenson on Shrink Rap in 2007. Nice to see him calm and sincere, not constantly riffing and interrupting the interviewer. He talks about the lonely childhood, how fame affected him, getting into drugs, and other psychological stuff.

Part 1:

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC37y79CzkM
    Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhBiXETg1f0
    Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHrQa9R2Zg0
    Thank you so much for this. As I have shared before, I have been deeply affected by Robin's passing. This is only the second interview that I have watched since his death. A few days after his death, I was watching SVU on Hulu and the episode that he was in came on. I kept it on in the background but couldn't actually watch it. I want to watch One Hour Photo. I'm not ready to watch any of his funny movies.
    I found his comments on death oddly comforting. I prefer to think that his suicide was a decision and not just a desperate action.
    Last edited by weirdgurl; 09-07-2014 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Added thought

Robin's final appearance on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson 5/21/92 :

KatK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    I wonder when that photo was taken because Robin looks bad... really really bad. Joke = I wonder if Joan's fur or Robin is hairier.

That look was on purpose. it was for his role on Broadway for the play "Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo"

Thank you so much for this. As I have shared before, I have been deeply affected by Robin's passing. This is only the second interview that I have watched since his death. A few days after his death, I was watching SVU on Hulu and the episode that he was in came on. I kept it on in the background but couldn't actually watch it. I want to watch One Hour Photo. I'm not ready to watch any of his funny movies.
    I found his comments on death oddly comforting. I prefer to think that his suicide was a decision and not just a desperate action.
    His death still bothers me as well.
    I really believe that the diagnosis of Parkinsons had a LOT to do with his suicide.
    My BIL has Parkinsons and it is a truly horrible disease. He can only shuffle, not walk, his face is FROZEN and his speech is nearly impossible to understand. He is basically completely helpless. Can't tie shoes, can[t cut food and on and on. This was a very successful business owner - and he lost EVERYTHING because he kept the Parkinsons a secret until it was much too late to save the business and the home.
    I can only imagine that Robin seeing this as his future chose to leave while he still had the ability. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    That look was on purpose. it was for his role on Broadway for the play "Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo"
    Oh!!! That makes sense. Must be a method actor. heh

Zilla Guest
    I'm giving World's Greatest Dad a shot. Damn, that kid is obnoxious!

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    I'm giving World's Greatest Dad a shot. Damn, that kid is obnoxious!
    lmao!!! He so is!!! And he's such a creep.

weirdgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    I really believe that the diagnosis of Parkinsons had a LOT to do with his suicide.
    My BIL has Parkinsons and it is a truly horrible disease. He can only shuffle, not walk, his face is FROZEN and his speech is nearly impossible to understand. He is basically completely helpless. Can't tie shoes, can[t cut food and on and on. This was a very successful business owner - and he lost EVERYTHING because he kept the Parkinsons a secret until it was much too late to save the business and the home.
    I can only imagine that Robin seeing this as his future chose to leave while he still had the ability. JMHO
    I am still grieving, but there is a huge part of me that is grateful that he left when he did. I cannot imagine that brilliant comedic mind trapped in a body that can no longer allow him to express himself. I believe that would have been a fate worse than death for him. I am glad that he was cremated and allowed to be free. It would have been awful to know that he was trapped forever in a box.

I watched a little bit of "RV" and enjoyed what I saw, but I couldn't finish it. Maybe it's too soon.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

I am still grieving, but there is a huge part of me that is grateful that he left when he did. I cannot imagine that brilliant comedic mind trapped in a body that can no longer allow him to express himself. I believe that would have been a fate worse than death for him. I am glad that he was cremated and allowed to be free. It would have been awful to know that he was trapped forever in a box.
    We are so on the same page withi this.

I think about him daily and I agree - he is free!

I hate to say this but those that haven't seen RV might want to skip it. It's bad... REALLY bad. Like cringe in embarrassment for Robin Williams bad. When he started talking street yo yo yo stuff I literally blushed for him. I thought... "no no no Robin... you can't have fallen this far". Truly truly just horrible.

Stewie is right. It's awful.

It's probably his worst movie.

I haven't seen a lot of his movies but I really liked One Hour Photo. Popeye will always be a favorite, it has so many good memories in it for me. I have a favorite aunt who looks like Shelley DuVall and I thought that Swee' Pea was the cutest baby I had ever seen, among other things. The whole thing just makes me smile. Anyone want to recommend any? I haven't even seen Mrs. Doubtfire. I am really interested in What Dreams May Come but I've heard some people love it and others say "don't bother".

I still feel a lot of sadness over his death. I look at photos of him and he just has such a kind face, kind eyes. It makes me so sad that he was in so much pain. I do agree with (I think it was findadeathaddict and shipmatekate?) who said they wouldn't want to see him slowly taken down by Parkinson's and while of course I'm not saying I am glad he's dead but I do agree with that thought.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 09-09-2014 at 07:25 PM.

I've already recommended these but I'll do it again so you don't have to scroll... 1) Awakenings 2) World's Greatest Dad
    Here's the trailer for Awakenings

Last edited by StewartGilliganGriffin; 09-09-2014 at 07:36 PM.

babyblujems Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I haven't seen a lot of his movies but I really liked One Hour Photo. Popeye will always be a favorite, it has so many good memories in it for me. I have a favorite aunt who looks like Shelley DuVall and I thought that Swee' Pea was the cutest baby I had ever seen, among other things. The whole thing just makes me smile. Anyone want to recommend any? I haven't even seen Mrs. Doubtfire. I am really interested in What Dreams May Come but I've heard some people love it and others say "don't bother".

I still feel a lot of sadness over his death. I look at photos of him and he just has such a kind face, kind eyes. It makes me so sad that he was in so much pain. I do agree with (I think it was findadeathaddict and shipmatekate?) who said they wouldn't want to see him slowly taken down by Parkinson's and while of course I'm not saying I am glad he's dead but I do agree with that thought.
    I'm not a big movie person, I prefer documentaries, but for me What Dreams May Come is an amazing movie. I can still remember the first time I saw it, 9th grade English just before winter break almost 9 years ago now. It sent chills down my spine the first time and it still sends chills down my spine. It is one of my favorite movies of all time. I will say it is among one of his darker movies though. but then again Robin did drama so well.

MistressDrusilla Guest
    So I was at Burning Man this year (now my second) and there is a large art installation/wooden structure there that is called the Temple. It's where people go to grieve personal loss. People bring writings, mementos, letters, pictures....you name it, and leave them there to be burned when the structure is set ablaze on Sunday evening. It's a sacred place. You go in and you're instantly overwhelmed by how much love, loss, memory, and grief there is there. There are alternately people crying, singing, laughing at past memories. It's a powerful place. I always cry when I go in there. Not just because it's sad, but because it's a celebration of life and support from those around you.

The thing that struck me this year, and sent me into an immediate ball of tears, was the at least 2 dozen large tributes there were to Robin. The two most prominent were large pictures of him placed on the center alter area. These were not placed by Burning Man or any sort of organization. They were placed by regular, random people. Every single one of these tributes had personal stories or quotes attached from different people about how he affected them and how much he is missed. I saw, "Bangarang, Peter!" "O Captain, My Captain!", "Genie, You're free", among other quotes. But I also saw things like "Gentle clown. We miss you so. Be at Peace", or "how we all miss you. You weren't an unreachable star, you were family", "thank you for all the laughs. There are not enough thanks in the world to give you for that", or one of my other favorites "for Susan, Zach, and Zelda....we know we can't begin to know what you're feeling, but just know we miss him too".

In the two years I've been, and in talking to others, NO celebrity has EVER had any sort of tribute placed in any of the temples. It's reserved for real, personal loss or need to let go. To see him so loved by so many people, and to be put in such a high regard next to lost family members, pets, lost loves, lost children...I think that really says something about the effect he really had on people. That he wasn't just some funny celebrity, that he really was family. Every day that I went, there was always something new written about him and added to the already placed photographs, or new tributes on the whole. It was as heartbreaking as it was inspiring.

I unfortunately didn't have a camera this year so I couldn't take pictures, but I'm hoping enough surface because I'd like to somehow find a way to let his family, his kids, know just how much he was loved, and just how much his inclusion really means in the eyes of us Burners. He was so well loved....and by god we will miss him.

Update: I was able to find some of the pictures. It's only a few but it gives you an idea. I also included a picture of the temple itself so you can see what a beautiful place it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robin2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	51496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robin3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	51497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temple.jpg 
Size:	1,022.4 KB 
ID:	51498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robin1.jpg 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	51495
    Last edited by MistressDrusilla; 09-13-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Wow MistressDrusilla, thank you

Yes he was family

As Yakov Smirnoff said "Don't go, we need you!"

Seeing the one picture with, I wish, I wish I had a dad like you, Rufio, I just lost it, It's still hard to believe he is gone.

This wait for toxicology results is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    This wait for toxicology results is ridiculous.
    No kidding, I was wondering this myself

weirdgurl Guest
    Last week I sent the links to Shrink Rap to my mom. I was talking to her about it last night while I was driving home from work and I got all teary-eyed with that tight feeling in my throat. It still feels like a close friend or family member has been lost. I'm not ready for a funny movie. It is just too hard to know that that brilliant mind is stilled forever.
    Kate, how are you doing?

I agree with you . I too think the Parkinsons disease diagnosis for someone as animated as Robin must have seemed like a death sentence .All the voices he did and jokes he told were dependent on having good co-ordination skills and the shudders and jerks from P would have limited his speech and movement no end .

It's just heart breaking that he would get something like that , still can't get over it .

I loved RV. We own it. Watch it at least once a year. Our whole family enjoys it.

I was caught off guard a few weeks back. I was sitting watching a parade in Disneyland. The Aladdin group and float were making their way around my corner. There was these 2 rows of dancers coming up the middle and all of a sudden the Genie comes out from between the rows. Immediately I was so sad and sat there with my hand over my heart and just watched the Genie character. I know it isn't Robin inside but the whole character is Robin Williams animated. I wasn't the only one having a moment there. His death is still very raw and shocking to many, many people.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tamiele View Post
    I loved RV. We own it. Watch it at least once a year. Our whole family enjoys it.

I was caught off guard a few weeks back. I was sitting watching a parade in Disneyland. The Aladdin group and float were making their way around my corner. There was these 2 rows of dancers coming up the middle and all of a sudden the Genie comes out from between the rows. Immediately I was so sad and sat there with my hand over my heart and just watched the Genie character. I know it isn't Robin inside but the whole character is Robin Williams animated. I wasn't the only one having a moment there. His death is still very raw and shocking to many, many people.
    It's so very sad that he and his beloved characters were loved and are mourned by so many people, yet he died feeling so alone. It still breaks my heart.

Last week I sent the links to Shrink Rap to my mom. I was talking to her about it last night while I was driving home from work and I got all teary-eyed with that tight feeling in my throat. It still feels like a close friend or family member has been lost. I'm not ready for a funny movie. It is just too hard to know that that brilliant mind is stilled forever.
    Kate, how are you doing?
    Hi

I am ok, except when I see his photo on a magazine or when I think about him - which I do a lot

We drove past Tiburon this weekend and I cried...........

I made it through about half of the first link of Shrink Rap. I'm still just too sad. I can't deal with that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Where's the final death certificate and toxicology report ???? . Died August 11.

weirdgurl Guest
    Thanks. I saved the poem.

I won't compare my own depression to Robin Williams because it sounds like his was so very deep and dark. I did think, however, as I read that part about "devastating Parkinsons's disease diagnosis" that I always feel that I am one major life's crisis away from being in his shoes. I feel on borrowed time really. What I mean is that right now I am doing fantastic and I am coping well with life but the reality is that I have created a life around me that is safe and predictable. We all no life is not controlled or predictable. I worry about the day when life gives me something that can't be resolved quickly or avoided. I worry that I will be crushed by it. In the mean time I keep healthy and productive and taking it day by day.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

weirdgurl Guest
    I won't compare my own depression to Robin Williams because it sounds like his was so very deep and dark. I did think, however, as I read that part about "devastating Parkinsons's disease diagnosis" that I always feel that I am one major life's crisis away from being in his shoes. I feel on borrowed time really. What I mean is that right now I am doing fantastic and I am coping well with life but the reality is that I have created a life around me that is safe and predictable. We all no life is not controlled or predictable. I worry about the day when life gives me something that can't be resolved quickly or avoided. I worry that I will be crushed by it. In the mean time I keep healthy and productive and taking it day by day.
    Tami, if that day comes - come here and we will love you through it xxoo

I really relate to this
    Been treated for depression for YEARS now and then

I went through the worst 3 months of my life recently being diagnosed with RA
    I told my hubby one morning (before Robin died) that I really understood suicide now and if I was looking at a lifetime of not being able to dress myself or even pee without help I would do myself in.

What weirdgurl said BTW!

Wow, such beautiful people here. Thank you so much! Do you ever look at other people's trials and think there is no way I could handle that? I do that all of the time. I always say to God if my children are harmed by some pervert or taken and I can't find them - I am as good as dead. I plead to be tested in other ways - not with any trauma to my children.

How are you feeling these days shipmatekate? I am so sorry for your RA.
    Regards,
    Tamie