Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony Stewart hits driver who was not in a car!

As I live in the dirt track racing world this hurts so bad. No winners in this, just so much grieving. Yes, you mostly steer a Sprint car with your throttle, it is a controled skid. Staying in your car unless it is on fire is a primary rule for all classes. But this is an [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]adrenaline laden sport where emotions break out. I have seen this so often, even with my own child once. Yes, it should be saved for the pits but .....

Kevin Ward Jr paid for his decisiion with his life. And while Tony Stewart did nothing intentional (in my opinion) he will have to live with this for the rest of his life. Our sport has suffered because of this. I hope the lesson will be learned by other drivers. Social media posts indicate it is.

My hope is that this thread will need to be moved out of Police Blotter in the future.

Pray for all at this track that night as no one will be untouched. [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    "When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself."
    -Anonymous

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    If a race driver walks on to the track or tries to confront another driver, are they fined heavily or deducted points? If not, they really should start doing it... The organizers would be partly do blame if they don't heavily punish them because I know it's a common occurrence and I don't even watch racing.

Also, am I the only one who hasn't got a clue who Tony Stewart is? Lol.
    he did some commercials a while back, you might recognize him from those.

Sad, but that was worse then jumping into the middle of a freeway! Dark, dusty, black jumpsuit - what other factors are needed? I feel bad for both families involved, but I agree he still would have been alive had he stayed in the car.
    My Posse's On Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    If a race driver walks on to the track or tries to confront another driver, are they fined heavily or deducted points? If not, they really should start doing it... The organizers would be partly do blame if they don't heavily punish them because I know it's a common occurrence and I don't even watch racing.

Also, am I the only one who hasn't got a clue who Tony Stewart is? Lol.
    They really should or suspend them for a few races.

This is truly sad. I've grown up around the dirt tracks. I did see where one other driver said they nearly hit the kid because they couldn't see him until they were right up on him.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SRVFan View Post
    This is truly sad. I've grown up around the dirt tracks. I did see where one other driver said they nearly hit the kid because they couldn't see him until they were right up on him.
    He was young, but he was certainly old enough to know better. My son will be twenty in two weeks. My heart goes out to this young man's family.

I did see where the driver in the car in front of Tony has come out and said he nearly hit him also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10606045_571694386295346_1690215942987146540_n.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	51259

I was driving home from work listening to sports talk a little while ago, and they mentioned that Stewart has announced he will not be doing a dirt track race this Saturday. No word yet about the NASCAR race on Sunday.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    I don't understand why he still does those at all, period. It's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    I don't understand why he still does those at all, period. It's stupid.
    People keep saying this, but many don't realize the majority of the NASCAR guys still race local dirt tracks each week. They like to race, it allows them to do so in something besides NASCAR, and it helps the tracks bring in money. It's there way of giving back in some way.

People keep saying this, but many don't realize the majority of the NASCAR guys still race local dirt tracks each week. They like to race, it allows them to do so in something besides NASCAR, and it helps the tracks bring in money. It's there way of giving back in some way.
    Yes. People don't understand why a multimillionaire would race in an event with a few thousand dollars in prize money, but part of the reason these people are so good at racing is they love doing it. And in Stewart's case, he is a bit of a racing junkie.

I don't know of a single person that started racing for the money. Very few are lucky or good enough to hit it big. Racers just love racing.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Here is a VERY good read to give perspective to those who don't understand how limited visibility is inside of a sprint car, how you turn them, drive them, etc.

http://www.motorsport.com/sprint/new...e-whole-story/

Rule number 1 in racing. Never ever ever get out of your car on an active track unless your car is on fire. IMHO I think Stewart tried to maybe blast dirt at him, but Ward was still wearing his HANS device. From what I saw I think the HANS got stuck in Stewart's back wheel well. I've seen race car drivers purposely try to crash and take out others with no charges filed against them. Don't think it will happen it. Occupational hazard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Rule number 1 in racing. Never ever ever get out of your car on an active track unless your car is on fire. IMHO I think Stewart tried to maybe blast dirt at him, but Ward was still wearing his HANS device. From what I saw I think the HANS got stuck in Stewart's back wheel well. I've seen race car drivers purposely try to crash and take out others with no charges filed against them. Don't think it will happen it. Occupational hazard.
    I agree. I don't think Tony intentionally ran him over. I do think he tried to blast some dirt and it took a turn for the worse but the kid was on the track and should have stayed with his car.

If you slow the video down. it looks like the kid was grabbing for Tony's car. To me it looks like the right ride wing clipped the kid and he then went under the tire. I too think something (be it his HANS or a piece of his fire suit) was snatched, thus throwing him the way it did. I'm betting his neck was broken. The HANS would do no good in this instance because he wasn't strapped down inside of the car.

Agree and agree, racing professionaly on asphalt to earn your living is one thing but hobby racing on dirt for the sheer love of the sport is another. They don't conflict for many. Many of the Cup racers started their racing in the dirt world and have not let go of it. I've lost track of how many of those guys have appeared at tracks locally here in the Northland. Tony was one of them about 10 years ago.

For those interested in racing here is a web site to check out: www.stevearpin.com

Steve is a Canadian who raced with us almost weekly a few years back. Just a great fun guy, to pit by and race with. For you Canadians, he ran the 00eh for his number. He has moved on to other types of racing but I would never be surprised to see in hop in a mod around here again. Whenever he gets a ride or has success the dirt world celebrates with him.
    "When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself."
    -Anonymous

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    There is no way, no way, anybody will ever convince me that Tony Stewart ran over Kevin Ward Jr. on purpose! Yes, Tony is known as a hothead, but there is no way he'd jeopardize his racing career by intentionally hitting a fellow driver. He co-owns a NASCAR Sprint Cup racing team. He has many employees that depend on him. This was just a stupid, tragic accident. Kevin Ward Jr. should've just stayed in the car. What was this guy thinking? He got out of his car, walked onto the middle of the track, where cars were still going at least 30MPH and then walked right in front of Tony's car. It doesn't look like Tony could've swerved to avoid him, that quickly. The video even shows that the car in front of Tony's almost hit Ward Jr., too. This was just a hot headed mistake that a young driver made. Unfortunately, that mistake cost him his life.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Seagorath Guest
    Tony Stewart and other racers were in a commercial before Guardians of the Galaxy. Anybody see it?

Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    There is no way, no way, anybody will ever convince me that Tony Stewart ran over Kevin Ward Jr. on purpose! Yes, Tony is known as a hothead, but there is no way he'd jeopardize his racing career by intentionally hitting a fellow driver. He co-owns a NASCAR Sprint Cup racing team. He has many employees that depend on him. This was just a stupid, tragic accident. Kevin Ward Jr. should've just stayed in the car. What was this guy thinking? He got out of his car, walked onto the middle of the track, where cars were still going at least 30MPH and then walked right in front of Tony's car. It doesn't look like Tony could've swerved to avoid him, that quickly. The video even shows that the car in front of Tony's almost hit Ward Jr., too. This was just a hot headed mistake that a young driver made. Unfortunately, that mistake cost him his life.
    You are exactly right, "What Tha....?" (And that name is awesome, BTW.) I saw somewhere that the driver in front of Stewart tweeted (or Facebooked or something) that he didn't see Ward until he was right next to him. Dark suit, dark helmet, dirt track, not well lighted. I am sorry Ward died, but IMO it was 100% his fault.

I'm now convinced for sure that Tony is 100% innocent. Nancy Grace is saying he should be charged with murder...

Ugh.. Nancy Grace is the reason why the word cunt is derogatory.

The Ontario County Sheriff's department has announced a press conference regarding the Tony Stewart investigation for 4pm ET

I'm I the only one that thinks Tony Stewart thinks he is above the
    law.
    Because he is a famous driver, and the young guy he killed
    was almost unknown?
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    I'm I the only that thinks Tony Stewart thinks he is above the
    law.
    Because he is a famous driver, and the young guy was almost
    unknown.
    How does Tony think he is above the law? Every press conference the sheriff has had said that Tony is fully cooperating with the investigation and has made himself available at anytime to them. And yes, the young guy was almost unknown. That may be why he decided to be a hot shot and try to start something with a NASCAR champion. That mistake cost him his life, and he is the ONLY person responsible for that. No one else made him get out of the car and run down into the racing groove into a pack of cars.

How does Tony think he is above the law? Every press conference the sheriff has had said that Tony is fully cooperating with the investigation and has made himself available at anytime to them. And yes, the young guy was almost unknown. That may be why he decided to be a hot shot and try to start something with a NASCAR champion. That mistake cost him his life, and he is the ONLY person responsible for that. No one else made him get out of the car and run down into the racing groove into a pack of cars.
    Very well said. This is the opposite of "above the law".

The sheriff just said that the investigation could take up to two weeks, and still that no criminal charges are pending at this time.

Above the law?.....He has cooperated fully.....the guy that got hit was the cause of this. Getting wiped out on a dirt track does not allow him to get out of his car and do something stupid like he did. Sorry the guy died, but what if he caused a 10 car pile-up and killed a few folks?
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

This is a long monologue, but it is well worth the listen.

30. 08-12-2014, 02:53 PM

31. 08-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    Ugh.. Nancy Grace is the reason why the word cunt is derogatory.
    I love you deeply!

I think this guy wanted to come off as a bad ass who had the nerve to "confront" Tony Stewart and did it for attention so people would talk about him, didn't quite pan out for him though.

I'm now convinced for sure that Tony is 100% innocent. Nancy Grace is saying he should be charged with murder...
    Word. NG makes me lose hope for humanity.

Nancy Grace. This is my fantasy interaction with Nancy Grace. If only I could say things like this to her. I mean it's like word for word what I would want to say to her. She is satan and I'll be glad when she's dead. Enjoy.... btw this is Grade A funny shit.

Here's an excellent article with quotes from other sprint car racers who are talking about the limited visibility inside of a sprint car.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index..._issues_c.html

Ward's father has spoken out about the incident. He blames Stewart, and in my opinion is being totally (albeit understandably) irrational about it.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/sto...-kevin-ward-jr

I'm gonna say it. Fuck his father. Sorry he lost his son and all. Really. I am. But that's no excuse to be an irrational taint smear.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    I'm gonna say it. Fuck his father. Sorry he lost his son and all. Really. I am. But that's no excuse to be an irrational taint smear.
    I agree. Daddy is just setting up for a wrongful death lawsuit. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not like Tony made the kid get out of his car and run into traffic. This is what pisses me off about the world today; no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions. Granted the kid can't, he's dead, but daddy needs to have some common sense.

I agree. Daddy is just setting up for a wrongful death lawsuit. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not like Tony made the kid get out of his car and run into traffic. This is what pisses me off about the world today; no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions. Granted the kid can't, he's dead, but daddy needs to have some common sense.
    Even more, the son is the one that lacked common sense. And you are right Daddy is going for Bowling for dollars....showing my age here
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Yup you're both right. No way a lawsuit against Stewart sticks but what about a suit against the Track or even sprint cup racing? Their case could be that if there were rules against getting out of your car and on the track maybe their son would be alive. Maybe negligence? I'm not sure I'd have a problem with that honestly. Not that I'm trying to lesson Ward's responsibility. Completely his fault.

I don't know. I just kind of take the father's comments as the outburst of a grieving parent who can't admit to himself that his son died acting like an idiot. I din't know if a lawsuit will be forthcoming, but I suppose time will tell.

Sprint car drivers defend Tony Stewart

http://www.motorsport.com/sprint/new...d-tony-stewart

If the father does file a lawsuit and somehow wins, or if Tony does decide to pay something to the driver's family, the classy thing that this family should do with the money is donate it to a charity, like NASCAR'S Victory Junction Gang Camps. That charity was founded by Kyle Petty in memory of his son, Adam Petty, who was a race car driver, killed at a track. I think it would be good for Kevin Ward Jr.s' father to honor his son's memory, that way.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    If the father does file a lawsuit and somehow wins, or if Tony does decide to pay something to the driver's family, the classy thing that this family should do with the money is donate it to a charity, like NASCAR'S Victory Junction Gang Camps. That charity was founded by Kyle Petty in memory of his son, Adam Petty, who was a race car driver, killed at a track. I think it would be good for Kevin Ward Jr.s' father to honor his son's memory, that way.
    The Ward's need to do that with their own money, and not Tony's. Tony already donates millions of dollars per year to the Victory Junction Gang Camps. He is one of the largest givers for the group.

I know that's a charity Tony doantes a lot of money to. What I meant is it would be a very symbolic gesture if Ward's family were to do the same, if somehow they were to profit off of their son's death.

PurrPurr Guest
    Local news just reported that Stewart announced he will not race this coming weekend in Michigan.

Yes, lets judge. Fuck his father kind of like Dale Earnhardt Sr.
    and his Son
    Both are hero to White trash, see not very nice.

Please don't judge what a Father and Son are all about.
    The Father of Kevin Ward just lost his Son.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 08-14-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I agree. Fuck the Earnhardts as well.

Stewart has announced he will not be racing Sunday at Michigan. I'm thinking maybe he just won't race again this season. He would need to win one of the next four races to qualify for the Chase.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...ional-speedway

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Yes, lets judge. Fuck his father kind of like Dale Earnhardt Sr.
    and his Son
    Both are hero to White trash, see not very nice.

Please don't judge what a Father and Son are all about.
    The Father of Kevin Ward just lost his Son.
    No one is judging anyone. The facts are simple. Had the kid stayed in his car, he would be alive today. Period end of story.

Here's another great article on the subject.

http://chippewa.com/dunnconnect/arti...b646a15d8.html

Mammy Guest
    I agree that the boy would still be alive if he hadn't walked out on the track in a dark suit, but I can't be harsh about the father's feelings. I think his opinion is that Stewart ran his son into the wall intentionally and it wasn't necessary and if that hadn't happened then his son would have had no reason to get out of his car and react in anger. That doesn't sound particularly rational to us, but we aren't the boy's parent and that changes everything. He was the only son with three sisters and going to watch the boy's races seemed to be a big family event for them all. I think it also complicates things because they see this as a big name, famous driver who is responsible for their son's death and think he is getting special treatment and getting away with this because of who he is. I'm not saying I agree with that, but I can see where a parent or any other close family member or friend might think it. Intense grief, especially in a tragic, unexpected death makes everything look different in a family's eyes. I feel really sorry for them. Tony Stewart has also walked out on the race track and thrown some hissy fits (and a helmet) and he's pretty lucky he didn't get hit by a car, too.

The problem with that is Tony didn't put his son into the wall. His son refused to lift while going into a turn with other traffic, and Tony had the line. The kid hit the cushion and it spun him out. Had Tony hit him, we would have known it because BOTH cars would have wrecked. It is impossible for sprint cars to bump into each other without both of them wrecking. They are just too light. You would have at least seen Tony's car fishtail had he and Tony bumped.

I'm not trying to act like a know it all, I'm just sharing my experience of dirt racing that I've been around for over 25 years.