Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Garner

Zilla Guest

James Garner

*sigh*..TMZ has the story:

http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/19/james-...ockford-files/

Legendary actor James Garner -- star of "The Rockford Files" and "The Notebook" -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us an ambulance was dispatched to the actor's home in Los Angeles around 8PM Saturday evening ... and he was dead when they arrived on scene.

We do not know his cause of death at this time.

Garner was one of the first actors to amass success in both television and film ... and he starred in a long list of classic films -- as well as a co-starring role in the '94 big screen version of "Maverick" starring Mel Gibson. Garner was the original Bret Maverick from 1957-1960 ... as well as the same character in a short lived 80s remake.

2. 07-20-2014, 12:10 AM

Yes, it is hard to believe.

You got this one first Cash.. and damn it! i am sad to hear about him. he always had such a swagger.

UniPolarMommaBear Guest
    Sad. I loved him in Rockford Files and The Notebook. When I was a kid I thought he and my dad looked alike. But at least I still like Garner!!! Rest in Peace with the greats gone before you, Rockford!!

Love James Garner !He was a terrific actor . He also appeared to be decent human being. You never heard any reports of substance abuse, inappropriate behavior or unprofessional conduct , He came in did his job and went home . For someone successful in both TV and movies he seemed surprisingly modest.
    Godspeed Rockford

​And A Just damn!!!....Him and Doris Day were a hoot.......RIP Mr. Garner.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RIP
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

jhasty1210 Guest
    He was one of my all time favorites. Many hours of good clean entertainment watch his TV show and movies. Sad to hear he has left us.

Really liked him, RIP.

Damn. This one really hurts. I wanted him to live forever.

RIP Mr. Garner.
    Cindy

Damn this really sucks.

R.I.P.

I'm not much of a star fucker. I probably wouldn't piss on most of them if they were on fire.

However, I have always had a soft spot for James. He came across on screen, and off, as a pretty affable and likeable guy.

I am genuinely saddened by his passing and hope there was no pain.

R.I.P.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 07-20-2014 at 03:56 AM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

AussieBec Guest
    Oh no...RIP james

phirerednga Guest
    Such sad news to wake up to this morning....I have always loved Mr Garner, loved everything he did and I will miss him more than words can say. RIP sir.

damn.....bad news this early in the morning. His book The Garner files was a great read. RIP Sir.....you were one of the best
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Rats. RIP

Wendy A. Guest
    I just saw it on the news and gasped! NO!!!! We knew it was coming, but I'm still shocked! Absolutely LOVED him!!! Rip Sir, you will be sorely missed!

This one really hurts.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

ozzysmom Guest
    So sad My mother had the hots for him back in the day. What a SEXY ASS voice he had.....

Giada Guest
    He was not only enjoyable to watch in film/small screen but was such a kind, sweet man. Rockford Files was filmed frequently in Santa Clarita, my mother knew him and I had met him.

Victor, Victoria is one of my favorite films, and his comedic timing was exceptional in this as well as Move Over Darling and The Thrill of it All.

Safe Journey ...

awww I really liked him! I especially liked "Support your local sheriff". But he was great in anything. RIP Sir

Rest in Peace a true Hollywood rebel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbaE2L026s You will be missed....

ozzysmom Guest
    A class act and a true gentleman....

This is a very sad day - my heart is broken. He really was the best.
    [Img][/img]
    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss
    with people: religion, politics and The Great Pumpkin."
    - Linus -
    It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
    https://youtu.be/H2H0TfvNU3w

Mammy Guest
    All of our older generation of talent is going fast. So sad...

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    All of our older generation of talent is going fast. So sad...
    You're so right. Saw a commercial the other day for The Dean Martin Roasts. Almost all of them are gone now It's really very sad

May he R.I.P. Loved "The Notebook"
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

gottaqhfilly Guest
    I enjoyed his work and he seemed like a nice guy.

Mr. Garner was my first crush in the Rockford Files and the first celebrity I met in TANK! He was very handsome and a true gentleman.
    Will miss you, James Garner!Name:  untitled.png
Views: 303
Size:  15.9 KB
    Hurry back...hurry back...don't forget to bring your....death certificate!! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Loved him in "The Great Escape"....then again, I can't think of anything I didn't like him in.
    R.I.P. Mr. Garner. Thanks for the entertainment.
    "Never cut what you can untie"

-Joseph Joubert

RIP
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

beachboy Guest
    my motherm just mentied maverick programme just out of interestwhat ever happened to couple of people here who gave excellent infomation on stars northen lights and vamp or vlad looking down all thresds they were really good

I was just at Target and pointed out that they had several seasons of The Rockford Files on dvd for sale to my daughter. I told her when I was her age how much I enjoyed watching the show. RIP James Gardner.

MissZoot Guest
    Aww, I used to watch The Rockford Files with both sets of grandparents and both grandmothers just adored "Jim". I've always had a soft spot for James Garner because of that. RIP, sir, and I hope you and Nana and Oma are having a nice chat, because I'm sure they've already introduced themselves.

Damn. I've been watching this guy since the 50's. He always came across as real and genuine Guy. He was my SIL Guest Speaker at her commencement from OU back in the 90's. Like Neil said I could really give a shit less about the spawn of hollyweird but this one makes me a bit sad. Gone Okie from this material world. R.I.P. Jim.

Bidmor Guest
    There were a select group of male actors which seemed to be born with panache...swagger...coolness...whatever one may label it. Bogart, Gable, Cary Grant, Steve McQueen and a few others passed. James Garner was a member of that group as is Eastwood and Jack Nicholson. He's one of those that no matter what the role, no matter how convincingly performed, James Garner's persona always came through to our amusement and entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    There were a select group of male actors which seemed to be born with panache...swagger...coolness...whatever one may label it. Bogart, Gable, Cary Grant, Steve McQueen and a few others passed. James Garner was a member of that group as is Eastwood and Jack Nicholson. He's one of those that no matter what the role, no matter how convincingly performed, James Garner's persona always came through to our amusement and entertainment.
    A++ yes

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    A++ yes

Ditto!

navallint Guest
    Loved him in everything. RIP

I am so sad to hear this, he was such a wonderful actor. One of the last of Hollywood's old guard, a real movie star, when those two words actually meant something. Movie star James Garner..and that he was. RIP, Sir.

1karenhb Guest
    So sorry to hear about his passing. Met him years ago when he was filming the second Maverick during a tour of the studio. He couldn't have been nicer. Made sure our small group could see everything while he filmed several scenes and in between came over and talked to us. A class act in my book. RIP Mr. Garner.

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    So sorry to hear about his passing. Met him years ago when he was filming the second Maverick during a tour of the studio. He couldn't have been nicer. Made sure our small group could see everything while he filmed several scenes and in between came over and talked to us. A class act in my book. RIP Mr. Garner.

How wonderful! I'm so glad you have that nice memory of him

1karenhb Guest
    I'm glad too although remembering it is making me cry.

Well put.

ozzysmom Guest
    I'm glad too although remembering it is making me cry.
    a cry is ok. It just proves that he touched you in some small way

​So true......Kirk Douglas , George Brent as well..............

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ozzysmom Guest
    Gregory Peck as well

Mammy Guest
    That is awesome! I really like hearing about famous people who are kind, friendly, and appreciate their fans. They are hard to come by any more.

As most of you know, I think that James Garner was one of the best looking men that God ever grew! I wouldn't have been able to resist him around me at all. I feel that he probably led such an extraordinary life, that it really is hard to be sad about it. I could probably spend 5 years just sitting there listening to all of his tales. RIP I'm selfish in that I'm sorry I won't be able to see you in any new movies, but will sincerely enjoy the ones you did make. A fan for life . . .
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva