Thread: Paula Poundstone

Darrianne Guest

Paula Poundstone

She is one of my favorite female comics. Anyone know any dish on her? I met her in 2002, I think it was. She was performing at the State Theater here and hubby and I ran into her outside on the way to her limo. She talked in person just like she talks onstage. Fast and clipped. ...walks reallly fast. LOL.

This was before all the child molestion/endangerment charges and all that went down. Anyone have any gossip on that?

I like her, too. I think one of her kids just got mad at her one day and told someone that she was molesting them. Wanda Sykes is my favorite comic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

JeffD Guest
    I saw her on TV recently. She said she's over $1 million in debt. ouch!!

I saw that, too! The feet puppet skit was a scream! "Hi, how ya doin....what are you talking about?". LOL.

Is she Gay or Asexual? Anyone know?

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Is she Gay or Asexual? Anyone know?
    I always thought she was bisexual because in the early years, I read/heard somewhere that she had a boyfriend but that she liked girls too. Really don't know and I have never heard her say.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I saw that, too! The feet puppet skit was a scream! "Hi, how ya doin....what are you talking about?". LOL.
    WHAT? What did I miss?

There was a special on Bravo not too long ago that had her making fun of some guy in the audience. I think you might be able to Youtube it.

candleinthewind Guest
    She has had problems with alcoholism and depression. I think I heard she is gay but I'm not positve about that.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    She has had problems with alcoholism and depression. I think I heard she is gay but I'm not positve about that.
    It seems like a lot of comics have some depression, doesn't it? Sad how someone can be so depressed but make us laugh so hard.

JeffD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    I also heard her say she has no time for a relationship what with the kids, pets, and everything else going on. A relationship would be just another chore.

djdeath-hag Guest
    She also applied a bit of self-depracating humor......"I had a little problem with drinking, you might have heard" Love HER! Also a huge fan of Ellen, Whoopi, Kathy Griffin (who can be caustic & mean....like me!), Wanda Sykes also rocks. I used to admire Rosie....and may again someday.....if she doesn't get "off'd by "the donald".

Rosie's a bit off her rocker - IMO.

My FAVORITE lesbian comedian is Suzanne Westenhoefer - totally hiliarious!

Wanda Sykes is okay too

Margaret Cho used to be good until she got a bit
    too political.

Ellen Degeneres is "okay" - she's a bit too "clean" for MY tastes.

I like my comedians more on the raunchy side!

I've never really "got" Paula Poundstone.

I'm calling her "asexual" - since she hasn't been noted to be with either a man or a woman - altho she dresses like a dyke.

Spencemom Guest

I met Paula!

I saw Paula Poundstone @ a show in Pennsylvania in March 2007. She was funny and stayed afterwords to talk to the fans(only like 20 people stayed). She was playing this really small theatre in Sellerville, PA(the town is so small they didn't have a hotel for her-she had to stay @ a Travelodge in Quakertown! My friend and I got to talk with her for awhile. I got lots of photos. I think she had the flu when we saw her. She even laided on the stage for awhile before she left. It was kind of odd. She looked really tired. Anyway, she has a very funny book that came out less then a year ago.
    Last edited by Spencemom; 10-13-2007 at 10:05 PM.

I caught Paula Poundstone in Milwaukee back in 90. She did the same thing of picking someone out of the crowd and kind of homing in on that person for part of the act.
    I never thought she was particularly funny -Mitch Hepburg is more my taste- but I know she had a strong following.

Bellfire Guest
    They say that both she and Gary Coleman are both asexuals. First off; how does one make that determination? Secondly, I don't understand why they needed to tell us that. I know that Gary mentioned that he doesn't pay lip service the nver region of a lady and I think that's classes. I think that they tried to say Benny Hill was asexual but they just called him a virgin. It's nice to know we all have places to go.

GhostWorld Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Rosie's a bit off her rocker - IMO.

My FAVORITE lesbian comedian is Suzanne Westenhoefer - totally hiliarious!

Wanda Sykes is okay too

Margaret Cho used to be good until she got a bit
    too political.

Ellen Degeneres is "okay" - she's a bit too "clean" for MY tastes.

I like my comedians more on the raunchy side!

I've never really "got" Paula Poundstone.

I'm calling her "asexual" - since she hasn't been noted to be with either a man or a woman - altho she dresses like a dyke.
    Check out Bonnie McFarlane, you might like her.

deathybrad Guest
    I never liked Paula.

I think those of us who have that gift of funny got it from our shitty family situations growing up. It's kind of a cover up around the people who know you and the people who don't know you think you're hilarious, but a lot of what is funny is just the truth.

I remember one of my uncle's when I was about 5 was so high he wouldn't get out of the back of my other uncle's truck because he thought he was a dog. That is damn funny but I also had to live through shit like that. Damn lucky I get by without any prescription drugs.

BeanBoyGirl Guest
    Paula Pound-a kid-stone is a child molester.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanBoyGirl View Post
    Paula Pound-a kid-stone is a child molester.
    The kid lied about that and she has her children back. Her drinking was a problem but she has been sober now for quite a while ever since that mess with the kids happened. She molested no one.
    It is sometimes too easy for a kid to say something like that to get even with a parent or someone else. My late sister went thru this and the kid stuck by her story so here came the divorce and all the crap that went with this kind of thing, 22 years later the kid appolgizes for the lie. At least Paulas kid told the truth before Paulas life was in total ruin.

RaRaRamona Guest
    She's funny sometimes. I'm glad she's not really a perv like Michael Jackson & Jeff Jones.

I love Mitch Hedberg & Eliva Kurt (she is so cute!!)

I love Paula Poundstone. Its a shame this happened to her because she seemed on the verge of breaking through like Ellen did. seems like she was blacklisted after this falsehood. Too bad, she is genuinely funny, every time I see her standup I fuckin die laughing.

leeny994 Guest
    Eliva Kurt is hilarious! (I am half hungarian so some of her home/parents jokes hit close to home LOL ) she has a wedding planning show on Logo --- it was pretty good (as far as wedding planning shows go)

as for Paula--all i know is she was also, in addition to have adopting some of her kids--was a foster mom as well, and those kids were never returned to her

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    They say that both she and Gary Coleman are both asexuals. First off; how does one make that determination? Secondly, I don't understand why they needed to tell us that. I know that Gary mentioned that he doesn't pay lip service the nver region of a lady and I think that's classes. I think that they tried to say Benny Hill was asexual but they just called him a virgin. It's nice to know we all have places to go.
    Ummmm, let's think about this.....to be asexual(which means the capability to procreate without involvement from another being) , wouldn't a human being need to have both male and female parts????? If so, then that would make one a hermaphrodite. So, let's clarify what we mean by asexual.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Ummmm, let's think about this.....to be asexual(which means the capability to procreate without involvement from another being) , wouldn't a human being need to have both male and female parts????? If so, then that would make one a hermaphrodite. So, let's clarify what we mean by asexual.
    I think it's just funny to say that about some people - I call Richard Simmons asexual all the time. It's just funny. That previous post kinda sounded serious though so maybe that's a different story.

How about celibate then?

I would say that Gary Coleman is not celibate by choice but because of the fact that no one would want to fuck that angry little man.

hotmama Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    benny hill was as gay as they come. all those girls and acting "frisky" was a front. gary coleman is a bitter man. i believe due to being broke. thanks to his parents. he may also have a little wee wee. i have noticed small men have atttitude problems, anger problems, and disdain for women. he punched a woman in the face for asking for an autograph. she sued him and they were on i believe judge joe brown or greg mathis. i did watch the show and gary was as nasty as ever. his fans did not hurt him. his parents, and his lawyer did that for him.

Quote Originally Posted by hotmama View Post
    benny hill was as gay as they come. all those girls and acting "frisky" was a front. gary coleman is a bitter man. i believe due to being broke. thanks to his parents. he may also have a little wee wee. i have noticed small men have atttitude problems, anger problems, and disdain for women. he punched a woman in the face for asking for an autograph. she sued him and they were on i believe judge joe brown or greg mathis. i did watch the show and gary was as nasty as ever. his fans did not hurt him. his parents, and his lawyer did that for him.
    Yeah, I've known a few men along the way with that "short man's" complex. But I think it's just something they've created inside of themselves - probably after being picked on all their lives by the bigger boys on the school yards.

Noelle Page Guest
    I liked Benny's frisky act. Maybe it was tolerably cute becuase it was inauthentic. Who would want to see a true lecher doing that?

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    Paula looks like a dyke, but her standup routine used to include bits about how she chose not to have sex. Just my $.02.

colz85 Guest
    She's a semi-regular on the NPR show "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me". She's very clever.

Forever-27 Guest
    Another one thats completely not funny. Id tell her to not quit her day job but shes probably no good at that either. Her and adam sandler ought to get together they have alot in common

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    She's ok, I'll watch her if she's on TV, but I don't go out of my way.

She strikes me as a lesbian, but that's just the sterrotypical stuff we all know is 100% accurate at all times....

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    I love Paula Poundstone. I don't care about her personal life. She's a funny, talented, unique entertainer and that's all that matters to me. I'm glad she is getting back into the public eye and still performing. Her Bravo special shows she's still got it.

Jaxxx Guest
    I think Paula is funny, I could care less whether she's gay, straight, or asexual. I'd watch her show.