Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 20272829
Results 1,401 to 1,427 of 1427

Thread: Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island 2

Thanks Billoween. I just so happened to be rewatching the victim impact statements and thought that while the judge was correct in what he had to say he kind of went about it wrong in his delivery, and was kind of rude to the victims regarding then making their statements.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Don't forget there were very passionate people in the original thread, who stopped coming due to certain things going on in the old thread if you look back at the original thread Mammy, LLC, and a few others such as myself were actually identifying people and finding information.
    I was in the old thread and didn't recall the certain things going on that you speak of but I do appreciate learning all I can about this event. And appreciate learning about both the victims and survivors of this. I'm currently working on something involving firefighters so this reawakened my all ready zest for knowing all I can about this. This isn't just a story to me. This is history and people's lives we are talking about here.

(Hope I fell within the post requirements about back to back posts Cindyt.)
    Last edited by bustakita; 05-23-2020 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bustakita View Post
    I was in the old thread and didn't recall the certain things going on that you speak of but I do appreciate learning all I can about this event. And appreciate learning about both the victims and survivors of this. I'm currently working on a project at work involving firefighters so this reawakened my all ready zest for knowing all I can about this. This isn't just a story to me. This is history and people's lives we are talking about here.

(Hope I fell within the post requirements about back to back posts Cindyt.)
    Yes you are with the post requirements and just because you weren't aware of it it's because it was between certain people talking about it elsewhere and would talk to me about it. That is why you weren't aware of it.
    Do no harm, But take no crap.

wow. this thread has been going for 13 years! i remember being super excited to see people talking about it, because i was really obsessed since that night. i guess it's been around 10 years ago that i first posted. wow. i hardly come to sites like this anymore because i'm addicted to reddit, but it's really nice to come back and over the last week i've read both threads over again! i wonder what happened to some of the members.. i know i spoke to LLC in pms, she gave me the link to watch 41. is she still around? okay?

this second thread is pretty amazing now that dionyzus has downloaded so much information on the google drive, and others have contributed to the 'contents not from original file' folder. some of you guys and girls have amazing facial recognition. hopefully one day we will be able to get the clearest video yet! i'm hoping the new movie that is supposed to be coming out in july (probably won't now that the world is all messed up), there will be more information about survivors and if they were on the videotape.

a couple of things i wanted to say. i know everyone always talks about particular people (and i have even more now that i've reread everything and learned so much more about those who passed). i've always wanted to find stacie angers in the video. i know her family claimed they saw her on the video, and unless they mistook her for someone else, she's there somewhere and i really wish i could find her. her story is especially sad since her finace commited suicide most likely because of her death. so fricking sad. also i was interested in the surviving staff and was googling them, and i can't find anything on irina gershelis. i did find information that stated she died in 2011 from some ancestory site. born 1975-died 2011. wouldn't we have known this though? i mean with so many people who have connections and have read updates? 2011 was a long time ago! its making me crazy to think she might be gone. is there anyone who can show me she's still alive? after reading both threads i never saw this mentioned.

thank you all for keeping this thread alive! it's amazing and the stories i've read in the last week, pictures, identifications... just amazing!

please forgive me in advance but I've been on both threads for years and I have one question. did we ever id the brunette and blonde ladies with the jovial smiling guy sitting at the bar. the blonde throws up a piece sign and dances a little dance. this is in the pre-fire video
    Hi bustakita! I don't remember who the blonde lady was, but the brunette was Catherine Sagesta (who has since passed away) and I believe the guy was Catherine's date John? (his name is escaping me at the moment).

Hi - I found an older article that may help -https://www.southcoasttoday.com/article/20040220/news/302209998
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Thanks, Lush! Here's what a quick search on Irina Gershelis yielded for me:
    https://www.myheritage.com/names/irina_gershelis

https://ancestors.familysearch.org/e...elis-1975-2011

"RHONE, IRINA was born 19 October 1975, received Social Security number 086-62-5460 (indicating New York) and, Death Master File says, died 13 October 2011
    Check the source file (free) and then check Archives for IRINA RHONE."

I don't know if this was previously mentioned in either thread 1 or 2 but Michael Ricardi wrote a book that talks about his friend Jim, their college years and their college radio station they created over their love of 80s rock, and the tragic night they were at the Station and Jim died. I will be getting this on my Kindle in the next week. It has great reviews. The title is " Just A Thought Away: A true story of friendship, tragedy, and the will to carry on, as told by a Station nightclub survivor." By Mr. Michael Ricardi.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderAmander View Post
    Hi bustakita! I don't remember who the blonde lady was, but the brunette was Catherine Sagesta (who has since passed away) and I believe the guy was Catherine's date John? (his name is escaping me at the moment).
    I confirmed going back some and from another poster that it is John Van Deusen...and I looked at his pics after the fire and the before the fire video and he looks the same facially. I'm not good with names but I am with faces!!!
    Edited for proper spelling
    Last edited by bustakita; 05-22-2020 at 04:44 PM.

That's a survivor death that went under my radar. I try to keep up with survivor deaths. For a while, I was checking her kids' FB pages to see if any mention of mom was made, but it seems they discontinued their FB accounts. Wonder what she died of?

That trio at a bar - the middle woman looks like Catherine Sagesta, which would make the guy John Van Deusen. I've heard someone say that the middle woman is Kristen McQuarrie (D), but then the guy would be Matthew Dussault. I was unable to track-down a pic of Matthew Dussault, but to me, that does not look like Kristen McQuarrie; that's Catherine Sagesta. Don't know who the blonde is on the left.
    Last edited by Lt. Frank Drebin; 05-21-2020 at 09:16 PM.

I don't know if this was previously mentioned in either thread 1 or 2 but Michael Ricardi wrote a book that talks about his friend Jim, their college years and their college radio station they created over their love of 80s rock, and the tragic night they were at the Station and Jim died. I will be getting this on my Kindle in the next week. It has great reviews. The title is " Just A Thought Away: A true story of friendship, tragedy, and the will to carry on, as told by a Station nightclub survivor." By Mr. Michael Ricardi.
    Yes he did, it's a great book! And he's a really nice guy.

bustakita - Howdy again.....speaking of firefighters, have you ever checked out Firehouse.com?

Lush - Yeah, I wonder about LLC as well. It's bothersome, because she had talked freely, here, about her ongoing health issues.

I had a conversation with Stacie Angers' very sweet parents in May of 2018. We talked about her interest in detective work (she was an assistant to a P.I. in Worcester, MA.) Her obit mentioned that she was known, amongst her friends, for always having her camera with her. Wonder if she had it the night of the fire?

Anyway, Stacie's folks right away brought up the suicide of Stacie's fiancee, Michael Wunschel. And even repeated the awful method: he tied weights to his body and threw himself in a pond in April of 2004. But they seemed calm and accepting like they'd processed all the tragedy over the 15 years, and I wonder if it helped that they also had 2 sons. They did ask me for the name of the book by Barylick, and that felt awkward for a second, you know, when you have to say "Killer Show"--which always sounds bad, so I immediately explained where the title came from.

Amanda - have thought about you--how's the work at the hospital going? A little later I want to tell you why I think that is Matthew Dussault and NOT John Van Deusen. (Spoiler: it's all about the camera we see in Dussault's hand in the pre-show--check it out. Now read Matt Dussault's witness report.)

Lt. Frank - Are you better able to find all the witness reports now so that you can match photos with people's actions and locations as well?

I love the Pinterest album @billoween

@Lt. Frank Durbin is your signature related to SNF...?

@Commander - I sure am!!! Due to confidentiality I can't say much here but it's fire related and once again I got sucked into SNF...I just showed my hubby the pic of Jeff Radar and he was at a loss for words...he asked if he survived and sadly I had to tell him know...he was shocked just seeing him calmly standing there with the cig and drink...

*Edited to add
    Last edited by bustakita; 05-23-2020 at 08:27 AM.

I finally found the original hi-def 20:39 video uncut.
    It was the first version that hasn't been available online since 2013.
    Since its removal the crappy compressed 12 min video is everywhere. Then theres the even more filtered video with the captions on it i assume was used for a training video.
    The original almost 21 minute video starts with the crowd partying and talking to Brian.
    The first 6 min. Then where all the 12 min videos cut off where Brian places the camera down in the parking lot to talk to a fireman the original uncut unedited he picks it back up and continues to get more footage. If anyone is interested lmk.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishman View Post
    I finally found the original hi-def 20:39 video uncut.
    It was the first version that hasn't been available online since 2013.
    Since its removal the crappy compressed 12 min video is everywhere. Then theres the even more filtered video with the captions on it i assume was used for a training video.
    The original almost 21 minute video starts with the crowd partying and talking to Brian.
    The first 6 min. Then where all the 12 min videos cut off where Brian places the camera down in the parking lot to talk to a fireman the original uncut unedited he picks it back up and continues to get more footage. If anyone is interested lmk.
    Hell yes we're interested! Please post the link. Or if it's not online, pm me and we can figure out how to get it posted. Thanks!

I am interested.

The Butler video that the tv station long removed.

Quote Originally Posted by dionyzus View Post
    Hell yes we're interested! Please post the link. Or if it's not online, pm me and we can figure out how to get it posted. Thanks!
    Here it is. The Butler video in its entirety. The final 9 minutes have been missing from the internet the last 7 yrs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1F...w?usp=drivesdk

Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishman View Post
    Here it is. The Butler video in its entirety. The final 9 minutes have been missing from the internet the last 7 yrs.
    Thanks Irishman, but this isn't new to us. Although it is the full 20 minute video, it is pretty low quality. I appreciate the effort though! We need to keep looking for the original hi-res version of the full Butler video.

Here is the same file that's been on my Google Drive which has been shared in this group before:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...TQ?usp=sharing

Oh i see what you mean. You mean the version that the news uses every year during the anniversary. That one looks like it was filmed yesterday.

The 20 min version i found is still a rarity. Haven't seen online posted in 7 yrs.

Lush - Good work on unearthing the info on the unfortunate death of shot-girl Irina Gershelis. Nobody here knew.

RodentLady - Nice pouncing on that info. Geez...4 different husbands...4 kids from 3 of those spouses...and we know that her boyfriend on 2-20-03 was the brave rescuer, Joe Barber. And she was all of 36 years old. Remember how Irina was the last person to see and talk with Dina DeMaio?

Okay, here's why I'm still calling the trio standing at the skinny counter alongside the soundboard (R to L) Matt Dussault, Kristen McQuarrie (D), and Linda Suffoletto (D):

>Matt Dussault and Kristen McQuarrie (D)
    Dussault said he was with his girlfriend, Kristen McQuarrie, and that she'd taken a series of pre-GW photos with her 35 mm Nikon One-Touch Zoom Camera. In BB's pre-show we see him holding what appears to be that camera. He said he grabbed the camera before finally fleeing to the kitchen door. He said that McQuarrie had been right behind him but that she didn't make it out. He may be the man that Chris Stewart, of the Warwick Police, noted who was shouting obscenities about losing his girlfriend--and eventually got a ride home with his mother. Kristen's car was still in the parking lot.

Some weeks after the fire, Dussault turned the camera and its contents over to the police. You can see all 11 photos on Drive: MDKM.jpg -OR- (c)03-366-PR. Some look like they were taken from a vantage point very much like McQuarrie's at the soundboard.

The memorialized photo of McQuarrie was possibly a high school graduation photo. But she was 20 years older at the time of the fire.

>Linda Suffoletto
    I agree that the pre-show Linda doesn't bare a strong resemblance to her "standard" photo. Her looks, including her use of make-up may have changed since the early shot was taken. She strongly resembles a photo of one of her sisters, Janet--especially in the eyes and in her expression when she does her little dance.

There's also a more recent photo of her and Ben from their New England Van Council days. (They were vanning enthusiasts, apparently. Google "Starlite Truckers, Ltd.") That one looks right on, to my eye. Check out Ben, too, and compare it to his standard photo.

Quote Originally Posted by RodentLady View Post
    Thanks, Lush! Here's what a quick search on Irina Gershelis yielded for me:
    https://www.myheritage.com/names/irina_gershelis

https://ancestors.familysearch.org/e...elis-1975-2011

"RHONE, IRINA was born 19 October 1975, received Social Security number 086-62-5460 (indicating New York) and, Death Master File says, died 13 October 2011
    Check the source file (free) and then check Archives for IRINA RHONE."
    Thats the only thing i could really find too! I also found a list of tenants at a certain address in west warwick, and they had her listed on there as deceased too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Frank Drebin View Post
    That's a survivor death that went under my radar. I try to keep up with survivor deaths. For a while, I was checking her kids' FB pages to see if any mention of mom was made, but it seems they discontinued their FB accounts. Wonder what she died of?
    She was so young! I thought maybe cancer from the smoke, but she got out quite early so probably didn't have any damage in her lungs. I'm going to try harder to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by billoween View Post

Lush - Yeah, I wonder about LLC as well. It's bothersome, because she had talked freely, here, about her ongoing health issues.

I had a conversation with Stacie Angers' very sweet parents in May of 2018. We talked about her interest in detective work (she was an assistant to a P.I. in Worcester, MA.) Her obit mentioned that she was known, amongst her friends, for always having her camera with her. Wonder if she had it the night of the fire?

Anyway, Stacie's folks right away brought up the suicide of Stacie's fiancee, Michael Wunschel. And even repeated the awful method: he tied weights to his body and threw himself in a pond in April of 2004. But they seemed calm and accepting like they'd processed all the tragedy over the 15 years, and I wonder if it helped that they also had 2 sons. They did ask me for the name of the book by Barylick, and that felt awkward for a second, you know, when you have to say "Killer Show"--which always sounds bad, so I immediately explained where the title came from.
    OH wow! I remember kind of hearing about how he passed, that is particularly tragic, yet a bit romantic. She died in fire and he died in water. Almost poetic, although I still wish they were both alive. I wonder how many people had cameras. Can you imagine if smartphones existed in 2003? How many people could record the scene and even if their phones were destroyed they still may have had their video end up on the cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by billoween View Post
    Lush - Good work on unearthing the info on the unfortunate death of shot-girl Irina Gershelis. Nobody here knew.

RodentLady - Nice pouncing on that info. Geez...4 different husbands...4 kids from 3 of those spouses...and we know that her boyfriend on 2-20-03 was the brave rescuer, Joe Barber. And she was all of 36 years old. Remember how Irina was the last person to see and talk with Dina DeMaio?
    It's like we knew she survived so didn't really follow her, as we knew she had gotten out safely and it's natural to assume because of how young she was, that she would still be allive. Seems like she may have had a bit of a 'rough' life.

Thanks to all for your replies! I'm going to look for more info. I read both threads to see if it was mentioned first, then I figured if anyone could answer my question it would be you guys, because you are dedicated and knowledgeable.

Lush

eta: Jay Gates, the Rod Stewart impersonator is now doing Barry Manilow impersonations~!
    Last edited by Lush; 05-23-2020 at 04:30 PM.

As for LLC she popped in a few weeks ago, looked at the board,I said hi via pm and she said hi back. Anyway back on topic I always feel sad when I read about a survivor dying later or taking their life. To bad venues cannot learn from these tragedies
    Do no harm, But take no crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lush View Post
    i've always wanted to find stacie angers in the video. i know her family claimed they saw her on the video, and unless they mistook her for someone else, she's there somewhere and i really wish i could find her.
    In the old Station Fire thread (post 1667) there was a preliminary ID of Stacie. If that was her, she was right up front in the minutes before Great White came on stage. See this link:

https://findadeathforum.com/showthre...30#post1314230

Looks like my previous ID attempt of Milisa Bump might be Stacie Angers. But, the hairlines don't match-up. Who was Stacie there with? Looks like she's there with the girl in black to the left.

I have been keeping track of survivor deaths up until about 3 years ago, but I had no idea about Irina Gershelis.

Bustakita - I was using the signature to post pictures back when I was having trouble doing so. I posted a pic of survivor Robert Riffe and also of the survivor I believe to be James Dufresne.
    Last edited by Lt. Frank Drebin; 05-24-2020 at 09:54 PM.

As we know, Irina Gershelis makes an appearance in the Butler preshow video as "the shot girl". She doesn't speak, but I remembered that she called in to a radio show which is included in the videos on the Google Drive. As was more common back then, some talk radio programs simulcasted on local cable with video of the radio host and guests, and that was the case for this radio show on WHJJ in Providence. Paul Vanner and Kevin Beese were on this program talking about the fire, and it looks like it was only a week or two afterwards; Paul Vanner looks exactly the same as he did in the Butler video. Anyway at one point Irina calls into the show. The transcript is below. RIP Rina.

Radio Host: "Rina's in West Warwick watching on Cox 3. Rina go right ahead, you're on HJJ with Paul and Kevin. Go ahead Rina."
    Irina: "Hi Kevin. It's Rina, I just wanted to tell you that you're doing a really great job. And Paul. And I think throughout this whole thing you did a really great job."
    Paul: "Thanks Rina."
    Kevin: "Thanks Rina."
    Irina: "And I love you guys. And I think, you know, and I'm just happy that you guys are ok, that you're ok and everything."
    Kevin: "We love you too Rina."
    Radio Host: "You work at The Station Rina?"
    Irina: "Yeah."
    Paul: "Yeah. She was our shot girl!"
    Radio Host: "Oh is that right?"
    Kevin: "A very good one."
    Paul: "Yup."
    Irina: "Thanks."
    Radio Host: "Thanks Rina."
    Kevin: "Thanks hon."
    Paul: "Be good."

To watch this part of the video, it is about 12 minutes into the video file called VTS_02_2.VOB at the following link - https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...XBHN2syai1vbHM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qNwc_BVRB-M

This video is not the whole event on camera. But I went back and started re-reading the SNF thread one and kept reading about slow mo versions which have since been removed from YT. But this version is extremely clear with some of the footage and has an interview with a woman in the sadly notorious pileup at the door.

Also someone mentioned a movie called Groupie in the first thread. I was curious so I went to look at it on Prime Video. The scene was so horrible the band set the club on fire and I can sadly imagine that is what the inside of the Station looked like on that horribly tragic night.
    Last edited by bustakita; 05-29-2020 at 03:01 PM.