Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 29363738
Results 1,851 to 1,876 of 1876

Thread: Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island 2

[QUOTE=billoween;1565054]

Jimmy D - Howdy. I don't believe people were declared dead until they'd been officially "processed." And many victims were not processed until after midnight--which, of course, made it the 21st.

Thank Billoween That makes sense now that I figure they had to process so many in the early morning 21st / I heard they had Providence & State Police come in to do the recovery of bodies and evidence

Welcome FuzzyB Thanks for all that new perspective on some of those story lines

Amazing team on this forum with everyone pitching ideas and ID's etc. Cheers Jimmy D

[QUOTE=cigardaddio smoke;1565078]
    Quote Originally Posted by billoween View Post

Jimmy D - Howdy. I don't believe people were declared dead until they'd been officially "processed." And many victims were not processed until after midnight--which, of course, made it the 21st.

Thank Billoween That makes sense now that I figure they had to process so many in the early morning 21st / I heard they had Providence & State Police come in to do the recovery of bodies and evidence

Welcome FuzzyB Thanks for all that new perspective on some of those story lines

Amazing team on this forum with everyone pitching ideas and ID's etc. Cheers Jimmy D
    Hi Jimmy yeah they also got an archaeological team in to excavate the ashy interior mm by mm. All written up very well in Richard Gould's book 'disaster archaeology'

Quote Originally Posted by RodentLady View Post
    "same striped shirt"

That commenter was misled by John Barylick's book. Matthew was wearing his taper's jacket.
    That's for correcting that. I assumed it was Joe Cristina based on all research done here. Wrong identification, but a good spot on appearance of someone who we have become "familiar" with.

Subarctican - I don't believe that the guy at 5:01 is Sanetti, but it sure is an excellent shot--when precisely paused--of a specific patron I've never really taken in before. So thanks.

Bustakita - Damn. That was new footage to me. Do you think that was taken from some fixed security camera? Nice find. Yeah, that fire happened on 1-1-09 in Bangkok, Thailand. Seeing that burned survivor getting interviewed...heart-wrenching.

JXG - Your version is quite good; thanks for reposting the link. I think we should get this saved on the Google Drive page with the other videos.

Fuzzybee - Welcome to you, and thanks for pollinating us with your Way Back Machine links.
    "Vieira" is a pretty common name in RI. We don't know all that much about survivor Jennifer Vieira. She did work with survivor Mike Vargas at a local GNC store. They met each other at The Station on the 20th, and during the rush to get out, Vargas helped her back up on her feet several times. Still, she was seriously burned before getting pulled out the front door by a fireman. And if it was a fireman who yanked you out, it was definitely late in the game.

I have no idea how I stumbled across it I was looking for something else and decided to watch full thing and I discovered if and was in complete shock and awe.

I found a talk that John Barylick did on the Station on youtube. Disappointed that it did cut off before it was finished, but it was a good talk. I have always had trouble finding Erin Pucino in the crowd, but John Barylick pointed her out.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

This tour of the memorial park was uploaded three years ago in June of '18: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKwy3iYnY8E
    At 3:38, youtuber "How We Do Disney" shows that the "1 Minute Before" tile has already been replaced with the 462 headcount. The park opened in '17, so the mistaken tile with 355 was up for less than a year! Awfully convenient for author Scott James to leave THAT fact out of his book which was not released until 2020.

Wow, there were five more mistakes at the park back then: Robert Reisner at 27:49, Derek Johnson at 28:24, Skott Greene at 29:00, Rachael Florio-DePietro at 29:10, Thomas Fleming at 29:11 and Richard Cabral at 29:36 all have the same birthdate of March 29th, 1970!!!!! Slow down the playback to 25% to get a good look. I think that is only Thomas's birthday.

Near the end (when sitting in his car) Mike shares that Steve Mancini's mother gave him one of Steve's guitars.

Thanks for the replies! Interesting RE the name being common. I was reading today (ProJo's Forged By Fire thing) that Dennis Larocque, one of the fire marshals involved, was a cousin of a family whose home burned down in a famous house fire in 1995. Crazy. Also, that dropbox copy is the clearest I've seen so far. Admittedly, my vision is bad enough that I can't tell if it's different from the copy on the Drive.

Reading Killer Show, I think I might have been wrong about Paul Arpin. I didn't realize his testimony was in conflict with survivor testimony.

I'm reading the medical examiner, Dr. Elizabeth LaPosata's, grand jury testimony right now. They're anonymous, but I came across a few that were morbidly noteworthy:

1. Matthew Pickett: "Died of inhalation of products of combustion and super-heated oxygen-depleted atmosphere with other findings of thermal injury to body surface. We identified him through dental comparison and possessions. He was known to carry with him a Sony Walkman which was present on the body."

2. I think this might be the person who was found solo on the dance floor based on how this victim is described: "Died of inhalation of super-heated oxygen-depleted atmosphere and thermal burns of body surface which is a little different than the other deaths. This gentleman died because he was in an area where the fire was rapidly and completely burning, so he did not have carbon monoxide or the products of combustion. He was in the area of fire that the fire was burning so completely that there was no oxygen left in the atmosphere and there were no real products of combustion because there was complete combustion. So he -- we put that his death was only due to super-heated oxygen-depleted atmosphere and thermal burns of body. We identified him by dental records and he resembled his photo provided."

3. A few people did have compressive asphyxiation as a cause of death. One person's death was solely compressive asphyxiation -- no burns, no inhalation. "She died from asphyxia due to restriction of respiration by compression. She had no component of burning, no component of inhalation injuries. She was merely compressed and -- and couldn't breathe. We identified her by her dental records, her physical build, a photo provided by the family and by distinctive tattoos." Another, "Died of restriction of respiration due to compression with minor contribution of inhalation of products of combustion. We identified him by his resemblance with his photo I.D., by his tattoos and personal effects with his name on it."

4. A line on one person's was really sad: "We identified him by his personal effects. He had a cell phone which automatically dialed his mother's number which we were able to locate."

5. Victim who died in hospital: "After surviving in the hospital for awhile, [Redacted] died of the infections and electrolyte problems due to his thermal injuries and respiratory difficulties resulting from the smoke inhalation."

6. Cyanide and body locations: "Out of the 96 deceased, 20 of them had significant levels of cyanide so that means that they were inhaling the atmosphere which contained hydrogen cyanide which is the product of burning polyurethane."

"We had a general idea of where most of the bodies were.. They weren't pinpointed as a coordinate as you would do like in a homicide scene."

Juror: "Were the 20 that showed evidence of cyanide in their lungs, were they pinpointed or do you have any idea of where they were?"
    Witness: "They -- they roughly correlated with being in the stage and like dance floor area. They were not the ones in the front door area."

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybee View Post
    4. A line on one person's was really sad: "We identified him by his personal effects. He had a cell phone which automatically dialed his mother's number which we were able to locate."

i feel like i've heard this story before and that it was nicholas o'neill. have you ever seen the documentary of his life? it's called "41" and i have to say after watching that, i started seeing the number 41 all over the place. it was quite strange.

trailer for the movie at this link https://theindependentcritic.com/41

It all began shortly after the fire and, in fact, even before Nicky's body had been found when his father received a phone call from his son's cell phone. It was in that moment that his father knew that his son's body would be found later that day, and he believed that, perhaps, the cell phone ringing was merely rescuers having found the phone and checking it for identifiers

So, it turns out.....Dr. Richard A. Gould, the forensic archaeologist who led the recovery team which combed the Station Nightclub site for 11 days (starting 2-27), died of cancer in March of 2020.

Gould, a renowned Brown University Professor of Anthropology for 28 years, was 81 and living in Honolulu with his wife, Elizabeth.

Like a faithful anthropologist, he donated his body to the University of Hawaii's medical school.

image share

Back in 2003, after the Station fire, Gould led a Brown University team of 23 volunteers in the recovery of any personal effects for their eventual return to the victim's families. Human remains would go to the RI State Medical Examiner.

In the days before he started operations, Gould visited the fire site with RI State Fire Marshal Irving Owens--along with several of the fire's first-responders--to map out a search plan for what he now called his "FAR" team (Forensic Archaeological Recovery).
    Owens had also authorized Gould's group to save any human remains that might turn up. He said he didn't want a situation where souvenir-hunters or lawyer-types would be pouring over the Station's site afterwards.

Even during this first walk-through with the Fire Marshal, Gould, with his trained eye, found an earring and then a pendant with a name inscribed.

By the end of FAR's recovery efforts, 54 biological specimens and 88 personal objects had been discovered. Gould pointed out that the "88" figure was low; items that had been found fused together were counted as one item.

Human remains found: Arm bone with tissue; scalp piece with hair attached; finger tissue around a set of keys; clumps of hair; skull fragments; brain matter; and, a black glove containing fingers.

Objects found included:

-partial cell phone/burnt cell phone/Nokia cell phone/pieces of cell phone
    -car keys/keys on a keyring/VW car-starter/house key/2 keys with "7239" on them/keys with crime stopper chain
    -a partial purse with keys and cellphone
    -assorted body piercings/possible lipstick container/silver hoop earring/metal-beaded necklace with pointy projections/hair-clips/barrettes
    -a Motorola pager
    -a pool ball with earring attached
    -belt buckles, buttons, and zippers/a belt buckle with picture of mountain/a partial web belt
    -money clip with jackknife/leather knife case
    -remains of a cap with a Baltimore Pile Driving emblem

-lighters
    -burnt bills/coins/penny
    -3 disposable cameras/charred red guitar/a guitar pick
    -partial watches/a watch face/watchband with yellow smiley faces
    -partial boot with chain/heel to a shoe/half an UGZ boot/piece of clothing with fur/assorted partial shoes/baseball cap visor
    -eyeglasses/assorted eyeglass frames
    -partial dart/cue stick tip/cue chalk/roll of register tape/The Station business cards
    -collection of baseball cards with "Danny" on one pack
    -Radio Shaak mouse
    -nasal spray
    -recipes for making shots
    -partial briefcase

I have been reading "Trial By Fire." Interesting to get different views.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Damn, when did Denis Larocque start inspecting condominium towers in South Florida?

It breaks my heart how all of these people are waiting on word of loved ones, just like The Station. However, in The Station it seemed as if they were able to find out quicker probably because it was a much smaller place and people were a lot closer together.

Johnny Reagle, the 47 year-old drummer for Trip, got himself deeply involved in the rescue efforts at the fire. And a decade later he was still suffering from a sleep-disrupting PTSD. His daughter has said it wasn't unusual for him to wake up screaming.

Both Reagle and Trip's bass player, Jason Williams, had worked on building demolition in the Vancouver, Washington, area. It was their "other" gig. Reagle felt it had made him extra aware of building structures and all. So when he walked into the Station for first time, he right away found it strange that there were no sprinklers. Then, too, he noticed that in the ceiling of the drummer's alcove there was a lone, homestyle fire detector--just battery-powered, not hard-wired.

After the fire broke out, Reagle eventually got out the stage door right behind Jack Russell. "The smoke was like that from a tire fire," he told investigators.
    He turned around not long after exiting, and saw that the smoke had fallen to about two feet above the floor.

Then a last guy, Walter Castle, burst out. His shirt was on fire. "Please don't let me die!" he was screaming.

After pulling Castle's shirt off, Reagle put him over his shoulder and took him to a snow bank. He could hear a sizzle when he first set him down. "I don't know if he lived or not," Reagle told the investigators. (Castle, of course, did survive.)
    When he returned to the stage-exit stairs things got worse: "A lady on fire was crawling towards me, trying to talk. That freaked me out. I couldn't do anything. The fire was so hot."

Soon, Brian Butler's camera caught Reagle comforting Trip's manager, the now zombified Bill Long.

Butler, who assumed Reagle WAS the bus driver--partly because of how he was dressed--shouted out to him about moving the bus.
    Then we hear Reagle respond with: "I'm climbin' in here. I'm trying to!"

It wasn't until Biechele got behind the wheel that the bus got moved--with Reagle helping to direct him out safely.

The next time we see Reagle he's helping with the hoses in the hellish scene at the front doors. His white shirt and his beret make him easy to spot.

Ten years after the fire, Reagle spoke to a Washington state newspaper.
    "A shrink told me that I'll have to live with it for the rest of my life," Reagle told the reporter. "I'd feel down on myself for not doing more, and that's the human way.....It used to be that I'd hear a siren and I'd break down and bawl.....There are still the dreams. We don't have control of our dreams. I'd wake up seeing people on fire. I wanted to help but I couldn't. It's like I cheated them. But I would have died myself."

Wow, that poor man. However, he is one of so many who were traumatized. Has anyone else read "Trial by Fire?" Thoughts on it?

Noelle, see pages 32 and 33 of this thread. Posts 1572-94 announce the book and our speculation before reading it. Posts 1625-47 are the 'book reports' we wrote after reading it. Please add your own when you are ready!

Wow that ppor man. Who was the woman crawling from the stage exit? Did she survive?

Thanks for that Billoween I was wondering who that was dealing with the bus before Biechele / good thing he helped him get the bus away safety. He was a great asset to so many different areas during the fire ( at the stage door, bus and the front door

getting hose going. ) Hopefully the dreams fade with time although something like that is mind bending. Does anyone know if he still plays ?, that may helps if he is doing something he loved. I believe if he comes to terms that he did as much as humanly

possible at that time it could help over time.

JXG999 - I would assume that the lady crawling did not survive if he couldn't get to her. By then that dance floor area and stage door were a death trap for sure. Walter C. was the last one alive out that way.

I hope everyone had a great 4th and enjoying the opening up of our lives again. I have to say I really love seeing smiling faces again and no masks ! Jimmy D

Billoween, now that Jody King has publicly announced his wife as the 460th identified attendee, is there anything you can share about her experience? Such as, was she alone or with a known party?

Liana King, now 62, was 43 (almost 44) at the time of the fire.

Good question RL-And I remember you brought up this question a while back.
    I meant to reply back then, but I still donít have a definitive answer. I know Jody some and have talked with Liana a couple of times. I will look into it.
    The last time I talked with Jody we had a discussion about Tracyís Dodge Ram. It got fixed up but Jody didnít want to have it in his life so it got sold to somebody else.

Iím about 4 hours from starting a 2-week vacation in Narragansett. (Iím in the getting cranky with the wife phase of packing.)
    Iíll be up at the Memorial a bunch, and have a good chance of some dinners with 2 survivors.

Hiya Jimmy. Later, Bill

Hi - I didn't realize that some people actually came through the stage door injured. I learn something new all of the time on this thread.

So, it turns out.....Dr. Richard A. Gould, the forensic archaeologist who led the recovery team which combed the Station Nightclub site for 11 days (starting 2-27), died of cancer in March of 2020.

Gould, a renowned Brown University Professor of Anthropology for 28 years, was 81 and living in Honolulu with his wife, Elizabeth.

Like a faithful anthropologist, he donated his body to the University of Hawaii's medical school.

image share

Back in 2003, after the Station fire, Gould led a Brown University team of 23 volunteers in the recovery of any personal effects for their eventual return to the victim's families. Human remains would go to the RI State Medical Examiner.

In the days before he started operations, Gould visited the fire site with RI State Fire Marshal Irving Owens--along with several of the fire's first-responders--to map out a search plan for what he now called his "FAR" team (Forensic Archaeological Recovery).
    Owens had also authorized Gould's group to save any human remains that might turn up. He said he didn't want a situation where souvenir-hunters or lawyer-types would be pouring over the Station's site afterwards.

Even during this first walk-through with the Fire Marshal, Gould, with his trained eye, found an earring and then a pendant with a name inscribed.

By the end of FAR's recovery efforts, 54 biological specimens and 88 personal objects had been discovered. Gould pointed out that the "88" figure was low; items that had been found fused together were counted as one item.

Human remains found: Arm bone with tissue; scalp piece with hair attached; finger tissue around a set of keys; clumps of hair; skull fragments; brain matter; and, a black glove containing fingers.

Objects found included:

-partial cell phone/burnt cell phone/Nokia cell phone/pieces of cell phone
    -car keys/keys on a keyring/VW car-starter/house key/2 keys with "7239" on them/keys with crime stopper chain
    -a partial purse with keys and cellphone
    -assorted body piercings/possible lipstick container/silver hoop earring/metal-beaded necklace with pointy projections/hair-clips/barrettes
    -a Motorola pager
    -a pool ball with earring attached
    -belt buckles, buttons, and zippers/a belt buckle with picture of mountain/a partial web belt
    -money clip with jackknife/leather knife case
    -remains of a cap with a Baltimore Pile Driving emblem

-lighters
    -burnt bills/coins/penny
    -3 disposable cameras/charred red guitar/a guitar pick
    -partial watches/a watch face/watchband with yellow smiley faces
    -partial boot with chain/heel to a shoe/half an UGZ boot/piece of clothing with fur/assorted partial shoes/baseball cap visor
    -eyeglasses/assorted eyeglass frames
    -partial dart/cue stick tip/cue chalk/roll of register tape/The Station business cards
    -collection of baseball cards with "Danny" on one pack
    -Radio Shaak mouse
    -nasal spray
    -recipes for making shots
    -partial briefcase
    Oh wow. I don't quite know what to say after reading this post. RIP to Dr. Gould. He did his absolute best to return the victims to their respective family members.

Damn, when did Denis Larocque start inspecting condominium towers in South Florida?
    He didn't inspect that building that collapsed, did he?

Bustakitaókidding.

Still in Rhode Island. Met survivor Ray Beauchaineís younger brother, and a North Kingstown High School teacher who lost two students; one was Andrew Hoban.

Noelleócould you please tell me in which Barylick presentation he mentions Erin Pucino? And give an approximate time? Thanks. She appears to be so close to the Fairbairns that Iím always thinking Iím seeing Andrea Fairbairn. I know that several faces can be seen quite clearly when Kris Somers twists his body to look back for a friend.

Noelle—could you please tell me in which Barylick presentation he mentions Erin Pucino? And give an approximate time? Thanks. She appears to be so close to the Fairbairns that I’m always thinking I’m seeing Andrea Fairbairn. I know that several faces can be seen quite clearly when Kris Somers twists his body to look back for a friend.
    He doesn't mention her by name, but in this presentation around the 37:50 mark he circles the witness who claims Butler was blocking her exit and if I remember correctly (but maybe I'm wrong) it was cited as being her in Killer Show.

Yes Subartican, you are correct. I wish that we could see the remainder of the video.

Someday I'm going to share with all of you David B.'s whole saga of survival. First, though, I'm waiting for him to be up to answering some follow-up questions I've had. "I will respond again when I can go back to that place," he told me last May.

I first met Dave at the 2018 anniversary and feel fortunate now to be in touch with him. I'm not using Dave's last name here; I just don't want to leave him quite so Goggle-able and all. (You regulars on this Station thread may remember me mentioning him before.) But now, 18 years later, Dave B. really does want his story known. He just wants to make sure it's accurate.

I swear, his account of that night--detailed and disturbing--is right up there with Mike Vargas's experience.

Poor Dave got stuck standing behind the pile of people plugging the front doors, and that right there is about as far as he went in his interview with the RI State Police. Maybe then he was still processing it all, but soon after would come many more memories.

Anyway, here's one scene--in Dave's own words--that I must bring up now that Dr. Gould and his Brown University Archaeological team have been a topic. It almost puts their efforts to find personal effects, like jewelry, in a different light.

Dave:
    "When I was stuck on top of the pile, I thought I wasn't going to make it out. I envisioned my wife in her yellow fleece and basically said goodbye to her. [Then] I ripped the great white shark-tooth necklace off my neck and held it in my clenched right fist. I outstretched my arm and almost reached to the edge of the doorway. I thought that the necklace would eventually fall outside or close to it as I died. That, by the way, is the hand that [later] required a skin-graft from my leg.
    I was [actually] trying to preserve it so that people would have something to remember me by. I always used to wear that shark-tooth necklace. I'd bought it in South Africa when me and my wife went there on our honeymoon to go scuba-diving with great white sharks. I still have the broken necklace today."

So all this begs the question--were there any other personal effects recovered that may have been left behind on purpose? Like Dave's necklace almost was?

Only known image of Dave B. He's wearing an old Patriots cap.

Billoween - I think that I found you on Pinterest. I won't write your entire name on here, of course, but if it is you giving those photographs on pinterest, they are really interesting. I am going onto Pinterest to look for decorations for my classroom and I keep on going back to The Station posts.

26. 08-01-2021, 06:57 AM

Billoween - hope your summer is going good ! I would say Yes, I would think folks would try to take a cherished item everyone knows them by
    and leave it behind for loved ones. I would definitely try to leave my challenge coin I carry for good luck, an item my wife and others know i always carry from my days as a Police Ranger in Boston NPS.
    It would be like leaving a piece of you behind to be found.
    Be safe out there ! Everyone have a great summer !
    I went by the Memorial last week and it was looking fine in the New England sunshine ! Jimmy DClick image for larger version. 

Name:	16278281513141368323605428080798.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	55203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16278282542245330997273883392105.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	55204
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210801_093935.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	55202